Loosemeat...?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 112
UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
  • Reward points : 0
Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 1:18 AM
After reading the "Restaurant of the day" featuring Miles Taverns burger, I've been seriously craving one. ( http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1203 )
Something like this has to be seriously regional since I've never seen anything like this. Closest we come around here is a Sloppy Joe.. Is that Miles burger what alot of you refer to as loosemeat? Also, how far North (or East) do these style burgers come? Thanks!

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1021
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 2:34 AM
From a story we wrote a while back:

A loosemeats is a sloppy Joe without slop, ground beef that is cooked loose – unpattied – and seasoned and drained but sauceless. Compared to a hamburger it does have a scattered character, and yet the pebbly beef holds together nearly as well as sticky rice when gathered up with an ice cream scoop and positioned on the bottom half of a burger bun. It is customarily dressed with pickle, mustard, and a slice of cheese – a remix of the cheeseburger with fragmented harmony. Like grits, it is a food spoken of with singular/plural ambivalence. Usually one sandwich is a loosemeats; a batch in the kitchen or a bowlful without the bun are loosemeats.

Loosemeats goes by many aliases: tavern, Big T, Charlie Boy, Tastee. Several years ago, when Roseanne Arnold opened her Big Food Diner over in Eldon out Ottumwa way, journalists unfamiliar with Iowa cuisine made a fuss over the fact that her menu did list loosemeats, a name that to outsiders sounds vaguely taboo. According to Marcia Poole, food writer at the Sioux City Journal, folks in Siouxland were righteously angry about Roseanne calling it that. “The other side of Des Moines, it should be called a Maid-Rite,” Marcia told us, referring to the eponymous name for the similar sandwich and the chain of restaurants that serves it, mostly between Des Moines and Dubuque. “Loosemeats are ours alone.”

Sticklers for historical veracity actually prefer the term tavern because that it what it was called when David Heglin first served it in 1924 at a 25-seat Sioux City restaurant he ran called Ye Old Tavern. (Two years later the first Maid-Rite eatery opened in Muscatine, Iowa, at the eastern end of the state, serving the nearly identical sandwich, called a Maid-Rite.) It was a time when many Americans worried about the ill effects of frying meat. Steaming was a popular alternative; so Heglin’s steamed beef sandwiches were a sort of health food. In 1934 Abe Kaled bought Ye Old Tavern, changed its name to Ye Olde Tavern and also tinkered with the formula for ground beef on a bun. Kaled and his wife Bertha sold “taverns” for a dime apiece. (Loosemeats now sell for $1.30 to $1.50 in most restaurants.) Their restaurant inspired imitations for miles around, and by the time Ye Olde Tavern closed in 1971, Sioux Cityans were smitten with the sandwich. Like barbecue in the ranchland east of Santa Barbara or Brunswick stew in southern Virginia, loosemeats had become the favorite thing to serve at fund-raising suppers; they continue to be a staple on school lunch menus; and they are served by virtually every drive-in restaurant and bar throughout the counties of Sioux, Plymouth, Cherokee, and Woodbury.

UncleVic
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 9:19 AM
Thank You for the most informative response!

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 10:12 AM
Vic, we had loose hamburgs as far south and west as KC. Our local chain was called NuWay
and I loved going there. My memory says they all closed in the 60's, as I remember none being built in the expoding burbs. The one we always ate at was at Rainbow Blvd. and Southwest Blvd., next to Wiglesworth Used Trucks.
There used to be a Maid Rite in Phoenix, (Mesa), where folks could get a taste of Iowa in Az. If you look at their map for expansion on their website, Michigan is included, .
http://www.maid-rite.com/franchiseopps/locations.shtml

cindyloo
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 10:21 AM
Though it is known as an "Iowa thing", I've never eaten one. And I've lived all my 37 years in IA. Maybe they're more prevalent in Western Iowa. But I think I can safely say, at home, people in Iowa are still using their grills or pan-frying their burgers. We do have a Maid Rite here locally, but I've never been inside. I have no idea who goes there.

Cindy

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 1:50 PM
I went to college in northeast Iowa and we had Maid Rites which are loose meat sandwiches, they were in the Chicago area for awhile but the only one I know of now outside of Iowa is in Peoria, Il.

UncleVic
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 2:29 PM
Thanks Bill... I see they had a target of Michigan in 2004, but havent seen any on this side of the state (yet)... Maybe someone on the east side of the state may have seen them (Detroit area?).. I couldnt find a store locator on their site..

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 7:49 PM
Just to satisfy my own mind I will do some research into the Maid-Rite in Greenville, OH. I know it's been in business at least 65 years.

ctfrasier
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 9:17 PM
Roseanne also owned a loosemeat diner in the latter years of her sitcom, which my old roommate swears is on tv 24/7 in the Nashville area.

Hastyman
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/22/05 11:18 PM
As a native western Iowan, let me weigh in on the geolinguistics of the sandwich in question:

--"Loosemeat/loosemeats" is an extremely regional term only used within about ten miles of the Missouri River. It is absolutely true that Roseanne had no business using the term at Rosie & Tom's Big Food Diner; the sense of outrage is mitigated, however, by the fact that it's likely no one in the Ottumwa area had any idea what they were talking about. I grew up 100 miles from Sioux City, and I'd never heard the term "loosemeats" until I checked Real American Food out from the library. (We always went for Mongolian barbecue whenever we were in Sioux City.)

--"Tavern" is the preferred term in northwestern Iowa; however, a quick glance at the Immaculate Conception Parish cookbook from Cherokee, IA (ca. 1960) reveals that nearly every recipe for "taverns" includes ketchup and usually mustard. Another characteristic of the "tavern" recipes is that the meat is not fried, as in sloppy Joes, and not steamed, as in MaidRites or (usually) loosemeats; rather, the meat is boiled in the sauce. Generally speaking, a tavern is not quite the same as a loosemeats, but if anybody from Sioux City wishes to disagree, you're the experts.

--In central Iowa, "MaidRite" is the generic term for any sloppy Joe-like sandwiches, whether they're actually MaidRites or not. If you make a can of Manwich at home, you'd probably still call it "MaidRite."

--In eastern Iowa, however, most people seem to respect that a sloppy Joe is not a MaidRite, and they use the term "sloppy Joe" for anything made at home.

--In parts of north-central Iowa, the sandwich is question is frequently called "beefburger" and has more tomato flavor than a MaidRite or a loosemeats, but less than a sloppy Joe. While it's not my favorite variant for a sandwich, it is the best potato-chip dip ever.

--In the same region, the sandwich is also known as a "barbecue," which is also the term used in western Minnesota. The fact that people in the upper Midwest have historically called a sloppy Joe "barbecue" is why, in my opinion, you need to get off Famous Dave's back. You have to crawl before you can walk.

--In parts of southwestern Iowa and adjacent parts of southeast Nebraska, the term "Tastee" is used, but it usually refers to a slightly saucy, tomato-less sandwich. The meat is boiled, and recipes for this sandwich invariably include a crumbed-up hamburger bun as a thickener.

--A variant of the basic "tavern" recipe, made with tomato sauce rather than ketchup, and usually including a minuscule amount of chili powder, is popular as a hot-dog sauce. It's usually called "Coney Island sauce" (as it is many other places), but the resulting sandwich is never called a "coney;" it's always a "Coney Island." It's closest in spirit to Detroit coney dogs, but Iowa Coney Islands are sweeter and less spicy.

I'm no expert, but it's pretty obvious that, whatever this sandwich is supposed to be called, Sioux City, IA is its nexus, while western Iowa is where its DNA comes from. You could say that there's at least five different names for the sandwich; you could also say that there are at least five distinct sandwiches which cohere around the theme of seasoned crumbled hamburger on a bun. Obviously, what is needed is more research in order to find out the true history of this sandwich. If it can be called by five or more different names in such a sparsely-populated area, this is one for the culinary anthropologists.

1bbqboy
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 10:21 AM
Wow, Hastyman, that was cool. Ours in KC were dry(no tomato sauce base) but tasted of black pepper, but we always called them NuWays, as stated. Now I'll have to find out who came down from Iowa to start that chain.

SouthHillbilly
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 10:37 AM
Hastyman, Excellent lesson in Iowan communal culture!

In upstate NY they sometimes also call a sloppy joe a "barbeque."

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 10:57 AM
Hastyman---thanks---javing never expeianced any of the loosemeats out there other then classic school lunch style sloppy joes-that really clears up alot of confusion thats been hanging around in my head for a while.Aint ethnoculinariology interesting!!!

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 10:57 AM
In Southeastern Pa "beef barbeque" at most diners means a sloppy joe.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 11:36 AM
See the thread on LUBI'S in the sandwich section for a northeast florida take on "loosemeat". Ive never had the opportunity to have the northern variaty and I may be a lil bias but these sandwichs are awesome..

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 12:33 PM
When I was in public school in Independence, Mo., during the 1960s and '70s, the cafeteria's served "Made-Rite" or "Maid-Rite" sandwichs a couple times a month. Can't remember how they spelled it, but that was my first experience with the sandwich.

The Mugs Up drive-in in Lexington, Mo., always had a Maid-Rite on the menu. A couple of MRs and a footlong chilidog made for a nice late-night snack while cruising the backroads as an older teen.

Here in Columbia, the local Mugs Up still serves a pretty good Maid-Rite. I'm afraid that's where I'll have to go for lunch...

the Big Ferret
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 12:51 PM
Weird: I'm actually wearing a Taylor's Maid-Rite shirt as I read this. My wife is from Iowa and she introduced me to them when we were visiting her family. I liked them so much she bought me a shirt this past Christmas.

tiki
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 1:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by the Big Ferret

Weird: I'm actually wearing a Taylor's Maid-Rite shirt as I read this. My wife is from Iowa and she introduced me to them when we were visiting her family. I liked them so much she bought me a shirt this past Christmas.

Well--thats convinced me!!--anytime someone named "The Big Ferret" likes a sandwich enough to wear the tee shirt---then i HAVE to eat one of these!--have to check for the Taylors locations now!

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 4:38 PM
My first encounter with this sandwich was in Homer, Nebraska. While visiting my in-laws who live in Westfield, Iowa (15 miles from Sioux City) the decision was made to visit the O'Connor mansion (circa 1870) which was all decorated for Christmas. We did and after the mansion tour we went to a "town hall" in Homer which was serving lunch. I was urged to get the "Tavern" which I didn't have a clue what it was but in good Roadfood fashion, I said, "Sure!" It was delicious. Think we might have to make some soon!

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 5:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brookquarry

In Southeastern Pa "beef barbeque" at most diners means a sloppy joe.

Ok, this splains why I get the occasional person with an accent asking for a sloppy joe.

mcunnin777
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 03/23/05 8:00 PM
I just discovered a new Maid Rite location last week. It is right off I-75 in Piquia, OH at exit #82. It is located in a Marathon Station almost under the expressway.

carlton pierre
RE: Loosemeat...? - Fri, 03/25/05 1:54 PM
Hey 777, you got my attention with that post. Any other details? Is it a stand alone kind of place, or did it appear to be part of the Iowa chain?

tiki
RE: Loosemeat...? - Fri, 03/25/05 6:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

My first encounter with this sandwich was in Homer, Nebraska. While visiting my in-laws who live in Westfield, Iowa (15 miles from Sioux City) the decision was made to visit the O'Connor mansion (circa 1870) which was all decorated for Christmas. We did and after the mansion tour we went to a "town hall" in Homer which was serving lunch. I was urged to get the "Tavern" which I didn't have a clue what it was but in good Roadfood fashion, I said, "Sure!" It was delicious. Think we might have to make some soon!

Lleechef----or anyone else for that matter---got a recipe and assembly instructions for these---ie---how do i cook it?---what goes on em?---what about the bun?

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
RE: Loosemeat...? - Fri, 03/25/05 7:36 PM
Tiki,

When I asked the gals in Homer, Nebraska how they made it, the recipe was very vague. But here it is, scaled down:

2 C water
3/4 C ketchup
2 T chili powder
1 onion, finely diced
2 lb. ground beef
2 T mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the water, ketchup, chili powder and onion and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the ground beef and mustard, salt and pepper and cook until beef is crumbly and cooked.

This is served on a really SOFT hamburger bun with dill pickle chips out of the jar and slices of American cheese on the "Tavern". It's a cross between a "loosemeat" which has no sauce and a "sloppy Joe" which is loaded with sauce.
salt and pepper to taste

tiki
RE: Loosemeat...? - Sat, 03/26/05 1:02 AM
Great--thanks----got it!

JeffreyTodd
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Loosemeat...? - Sun, 03/27/05 8:43 PM
Here in Wichita, we've had our Nu-Ways for 75 years apparently. Here's confirmation from:
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/entertainment/11101401.htm

quote:

It's a new Nu-Way

For the first time in more than a decade, there's a new Nu-Way Sandwich Shop in Wichita. Neal Stong, who owns the five existing Nu-Ways, opened his sixth this week at 6524 E. 37th St. North. The restaurant with the famous loose-meat sandwiches has all of the other popular menu items, like onion rings, chili and root beer floats. Stong plans a grand opening with special promotions on March 29. Nu-Way's hours are 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. The restaurant's original store at 1416 W. Douglas will celebrate its 75th anniversary on July 4.

For years I assumed these wonderful sandwiches were unique to Wichita, until I heard Roseanne mention them.

Everyone I know has tried to recreate them at home, but they're never quite the same. I believe the ingredients are simply boiled ground beef, diced onions, mustard and pickle (and you can add cheese). And I've come pretty close to getting just the right flavor by adding a bit of garlic salt to the meat. I first tried this after noticing cases of garlic salt behind the counter during one visit to the restaurant, though it could also have had something to do with their garlic salad

malheureux
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Loosemeat...? - Sun, 03/27/05 10:03 PM
I am from Woonsocket, RI where we have a sandwich called a "dynamite" that is typically sold with beer at bachelor parties, fund-raisers, etc. When I made a batch for a cookout here in Austin TX, one expatriate from Atlantic IA said, "Hey, this is like a Made-Rite!" After reading the thread of this forum, I can see the resemblence. Dynamites, however, are made with bell peppers, onions, celery, ground beef, Italian seasoning, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, all cooked together for several hours and served on a grinder/hoagie/hero/submarine sandwich roll. Extra red pepper flakes and hot sauce are always a good addition!

UncleVic
RE: Loosemeat...? - Sun, 03/27/05 10:42 PM
That Dynamite does sound pretty tasty!

lamertz
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Loosemeat...? - Sun, 03/27/05 10:45 PM
We had a version of LooseMeat sandwich where I grew up in central Indiana. Our locally owned A and W had a loosemeat sandwich called the HurryBurger. This was loosemeat ---ground beef,seasoned,chopped,loosely and piled on a mini rye bun usually with cheese,chopped onion,pickle and mustard. A really wonderful sandwich. You sort of smushed it down when you got it out of its waxed paper wrapper. That way the loose meat didn't fall out and there is the always satisfying smushing down of the soft bread(bun). Sadly, this A&W has changed hand s and the mini rye bun is gone and the loosemeat is diferent and the whole thing is wrong. Next time I'm in Iowa I'm looking for the loosemeat place.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Loosemeat...? - Sun, 03/27/05 11:44 PM
Dearfolk,
Mercy! I had a discussion about this very topic one night over pints at the brewpub here. An Iowa expat told me of places that serve the best "tavern," the best "loosemeats," and a mean "sloppy Joe." He spoke as if these were separate stylings of the same idea, which I now know they are.
Maybe this summer I will get out thataway and run the gamut of the styles. Even though I've largely been lurking lately, I'll report back in fine fettle.
My favorite Maid-Rite(R) is Dick Ring's in Dubuque, Iowa... think it's on Iowa Street, about the 1000 block. Magnificent! I wish I had one of those right now, and a 5-way Cincinnati chili to wash it down with! Guess I'll have to settle for whatever The Grill chooses to dish up when I leave here....
Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Rainy Athens, Georgia.

the Big Ferret
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Loosemeat...? - Mon, 03/28/05 2:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki
Well--thats convinced me!!--anytime someone named "The Big Ferret" likes a sandwich enough to wear the tee shirt---then i HAVE to eat one of these!--have to check for the Taylors locations now!

Thanks Tiki! Here's the Taylor's site: http://www.maidrite.com/

1bbqboy
RE: Loosemeat...? - Mon, 03/28/05 3:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyTodd

Here in Wichita, we've had our Nu-Ways for 75 years apparently. Here's confirmation from:

quote:

It's a new Nu-Way

For the first time in more than a decade, there's a new Nu-Way Sandwich Shop in Wichita. Neal Stong, who owns the five existing Nu-Ways, opened his sixth this week at 6524 E. 37th St. North. The restaurant with the famous loose-meat sandwiches has all of the other popular menu items, like onion rings, chili and root beer floats. Stong plans a grand opening with special promotions on March 29. Nu-Way's hours are 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. The restaurant's original store at 1416 W. Douglas will celebrate its 75th anniversary on July 4.

For years I assumed these wonderful sandwiches were unique to Wichita, until I heard Roseanne mention them.

Everyone I know has tried to recreate them at home, but they're never quite the same. I believe the ingredients are simply boiled ground beef, diced onions, mustard and pickle (and you can add cheese). And I've come pretty close to getting just the right flavor by adding a bit of garlic salt to the meat. I first tried this after noticing cases of garlic salt behind the counter during one visit to the restaurant, though it could also have had something to do with their garlic salad

Wow, thanks JT. I was beginning to doubt my own memories. Now I'm wondering whether there were only NuWay's on the Kansas side of the KC area. Hmmm. I never knew they came from Wichita. Cool.
Bill
I still think they have black pepper in them. Maybe?

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Loosemeat...? - Mon, 03/28/05 3:47 PM
We had Nu - Ways on the Missouri side of Kansas City. A very busy one on Troost between 63rd St. and Meyer Blvd. and if I remember correctly maybe one on 40 Highway. There was a Nu - Way kiosk in the food court at the Ward Parkway Shopping Center as recently as the '90s. My parents wanted to open one in North Kansas City in the '50s, but didn't want to borrow the $1000 franchising fee. My brother and I were supremely sad that they didn't do it.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Loosemeat...? - Mon, 03/28/05 3:49 PM
We have a place here called "Steamers" that sells loosemeat. I learned a valuable lesson my first time there...once you pick the sandwich up you don't put it down. I finished eating mine with a fork.

poornorman
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 03/29/05 4:10 PM
Last time I checked there was a Maid Rite in LaSalle-Peru, IL-- about an hour away from Chicago. It's tucked away in a mall, so the atmosphere is not the greatest, but the loose meat sandwich is good--and within reasonable range of you Chi-town hustlers. If they're still open for business...

carlton pierre
RE: Loosemeat...? - Sat, 07/30/05 8:00 PM
I stopped at the Maid-Rite in Greenville, OH last week. They've been open since 1934. There's certainly no other place like it in Ohio but my hunch is that it may have been spawned by the maid-rites in Iowa since they are 10 years or so older. But, this place is a true gem. As a kid only the drive-thru wall was covered in gum, now, the entire building is covered in gum. Place is always busy. Greenville is a neat midwest town with lots of roadfood choices.

johns72604
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 11:45 AM
I have only been to the one in Greenville Ohio, and must say that their sandwiches are unreal, but it is clealy part of not chain, but the sandwich sounds almost exactly like the maid-rites of Iowa, so i suppose it has to be inspired by the chain.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 12:01 PM
Gonna head up to the Piqua MaidRite (as well as stops at Kewpee in LIma and Crabills in Urbana) next week, will report back

johns72604
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 12:13 PM
Forget about piqua, make your way to Greenville. You will not be disapointed.

TJ Jackson
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 1:27 PM
Greenville is a lot further "out" from the freeways and such, unfortunately, and I am hoping to hit three different places in one long evening, but maybe next time?

carlton pierre
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 1:33 PM
I'd love to know where the Maid-Rite in Piqua is located. Never knew of one there.
TJ, sometime take a drive to Greenville, it's a very nice drive on 127 and Greenville is a heckuva town, too.

TJ Jackson
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 3:41 PM
The Piqua location is listed on the new locations page

http://www.maid-rite.com/newlocations/newlocations.shtml

RedGreene
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 4:12 PM
TJ...you'll have to let us know what you think of the Kewpee. My personal favorite is the store on Allentown Road but they're all good.

Red

RedGreene
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 4:35 PM
You probably already know this but here are the 3 Kewpee locations;

2111 Allentown Rd.

1350 Bellefontaine Ave.

111 N. Elizabeth(downtown)

The easiest store to get to would be the location on Bellefontaine Ave. as it is right off of interstate 75.

If you keep heading North about 30 miles you could make a stop in Findlay and try out Wilson hamburgers. A lot like Kewpee and almost as famous. While in Findlay a stop at Dietsch Brothers Ice Cream Parlor would make it well worth the extra 30 miles. They make their own ice cream and chocolates.

http://www.dietschbros.com/

topferment
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 4:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyTodd

quote:

It's a new Nu-Way

JeffreyTodd, you can find my review of Wichita's original Nu-Way here: [url][/url] www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1742

Also, the June/July '03 edition of Saveur magazine has an article on Iowa summer foods which includes a recipe for loosemeats sandwiches.
I have made their version and it is virtually identical to Nu-Way's sandwich.

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 6:06 PM
I don't like "Sloppy Joe's" but this thing looks like it has possibilities. I have to try making a version of this.

Thinking out loud about how to proceed:

The Roadfood review mentioned very concentrated beef flavor. I suspect this comes from a little beef soup base added to the meat. "Boiled" keeps coming up in the posts about this item. Boiled will not do, a long slow simmer after being browned with onion and a minced clove of garlic seems in order. I would simmer covered for a few hours as one would do with chili.

In my version I would omit the pickle and possibly replace it with some sliced black olives. Since I am going to all this bother, I will not use hamburger rolls. Large hard rolls seem in order here or small rounds of Italian bread hollowed out and filled with the meat mixture. I think I would then top it all off with sharp shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon and broil open faced briefly to toast the bread and set the cheese and bacon.

Well, that's my thinking out loud version of how I would approach this thing. I would really like to see your thinking out loud approach. I am always eager to learn from others.

RedGreene
RE: Loosemeat...? - Tue, 08/2/05 6:14 PM
topferment...do you happen to have that recipe? If so, could you post it?

Thanks, Red

Caramel Copper
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 08/3/05 1:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

Well, that's my thinking out loud version of how I would approach this thing. I would really like to see your thinking out loud approach. I am always eager to learn from others.

I love these forums! Thanks Roadhouse!

Copper

topferment
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 08/3/05 5:04 PM
RedGreene, here's Saveur's recipe:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
salt & freshly ground pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, and cook, breaking up meat with the back of a spoon, until meat begins to fry, 12-15 minutes. Drain meat well, then return it to the skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken stock, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed and meat is just browned, 15-20 minutes. Makes 8 sandwiches.

That's it, just spoon or scoop meat onto hamburger buns and top with diced onion, pickle and mustard. I have used low sodium canned beef stock and have had very good results. I also usually add a slice of american cheese and wrap the sandwich in a napkin which helps with spillage.

Hope you like them.

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Loosemeat...? - Wed, 08/3/05 10:19 PM
Until recently, I had only heard of loose meat sandwiches as a fan of the Roseanne show, but recently, I moved about 35 miles from Quincy, Il, which is the birthplace of the Maid-Rite, and I have been hooked since. Nothing quite like a couple of Cheese-Rites with Onion Rings, a chocolate malt. Lately, I have been driving every couple of weeks just to eat at Maid-Rite.

RedGreene
RE: Loosemeat...? - Thu, 08/4/05 11:18 AM
Thanks for the recipe topferment. I have one that I will post later... which is very close to the real thing, imo.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Loosemeat...? - Thu, 08/4/05 12:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by poornorman

Last time I checked there was a Maid Rite in LaSalle-Peru, IL-- about an hour away from Chicago. It's tucked away in a mall, so the atmosphere is not the greatest, but the loose meat sandwich is good--and within reasonable range of you Chi-town hustlers. If they're still open for business...

There are 2 Maid Rites in Peoria, Il. One is on University in the Metro Center and the other is on West War Memorial near Willow Knolls Rd. The one on University opens early and serves breakfast.

Caramel Copper
RE: Loosemeat...? - Thu, 08/4/05 12:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RedGreene

Thanks for the recipe topferment. I have one that I will post later... which is very close to the real thing, imo.

Copper

RedGreene
RE: Loosemeat...? - Thu, 08/4/05 1:38 PM
OK, here's the story from a recipe site.

The loosemeat was created in 1924 at Ye Old Tavern-now Gus' Family Restaurant on 14th and Jackson St. in Sioux City, Iowa. Nowadays you will find the original sandwich served at Bob's Drive Inn on Hwy 75, LeMars, Iowa just a mile or so out of Sioux City, at The Tastee Inn and Out, on Gordon Drive and at Miles Inn on Leech Ave. among others.

I learned to make Grandma Angie's version while cooking at her cafes/diners/taverns in Sioux City, Iowa when I came to spend summers with her from 1959-1968. Her version is the best (IMHO) and only deviates from the original recipe a tad. If you see a recipe for loosemeats that contains tomato juice-run! A loosemeat is a sloppy joe without the slop-so stay away from anything tomato-ey please!

These little sandwiches are great for football parties, slumber parties, with a cold beer on a sunny summer day, or just anytime you want a real taste of Americana cooking that takes just a few minutes with very little cleanup. These are typical Iowa tavern fare.

I loved these sandwiches so much when I was a kid that one day I ran into my Grandma Ang's tavern and asked for a "tavern" and they came served with one of those white thin sheets of paper under them-well I ate my sandwich half way gone before I realized I was eating the paper too:-) Enjoy!

1 lb of real good ground chuck or ground beef round or ground sirloin

1 tablespoon fat like lard or Crisco (if meat is round or sirloin)

2 teaspoons salt, just enough to lightly cover bottom of your skillet(this seems like a lot of salt but trust me on this)

1 onion, chopped fine

1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 tablespoon sugar
water, to cover
salt and pepper, to taste

1) Get out a cast iron skillet-they are the best for loosemeats-or other kind if you have no iron skillet.

2) Melt fat over medium heat and lightly salt bottom of skillet.

3) Break ground beef up in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon-this is very important-the meat must end up being cooked up into small crumbles.

4) Add chopped onion while browning meat.

5) Keep working with the back of spoon to break up meat.

6) When meat is browned, drain off any fat and return meat to skillet.

7) Add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and just enough water to barely cover meat in the pan.

8) Cook, at a simmer, till water is all cooked out-between 15-20 minutes.

9) Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

10) Heat your hamburger buns-they're traditionally steamed for loosemeats-I like mine toasted lightly-do it the way you like it.

11) When buns are warm, put yellow mustard on them and add some dill pickle slices-I put on lots!

12) *If you start changing this recipe and using things like olive oil for the fat and dijon or honey mustard for the yellow mustard, you will not get the traditional yummy taste of a loosemeat sandwich.

13) Likewise, don't add any liquid smoke or worcestershire sauce.

14) Make them just like this the first time so you can sample the simplicity of this famous Midwestern treat.

15) If you want to start making changes after that by all means do so but I'd like you to taste the original recipe at least once.

Caramel Copper
RE: Loosemeat...? - Thu, 08/4/05 1:47 PM
You are The Bomb.

Much Appreciated, this is what I been searchin for. [:x]
Copper

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Loosemeat...? - Thu, 08/4/05 8:09 PM
There's a thread somewhere on here about "lubi's" a n.e.florida version of loosemeat in a torpedo roll, premade and kept in a steamtable with various incarnations available upon ordering.

RedGreene
RE: Loosemeat...? - Fri, 08/5/05 5:07 PM
Caramel Copper...did you have a chance to try the recipe?

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Loosemeat...? - Fri, 08/5/05 5:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Copper

quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

I love these forums! Thanks Roadhouse!

Copper

TJ Jackson
RE: Loosemeat...? - Mon, 08/8/05 12:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johns72604

Forget about piqua, make your way to Greenville. You will not be disapointed.

I am going to enter much more detailed info in another thread, but....yep, you were right.

I took a mini roadtrip from Cincinnati to Piqua then Greenville (as it was only 20 miles to the west, so the map said) and then onto Lima. I had intended to head to Urbana originally, but Crabill's isn't open on Sunday, so Greenville was my substitute stop.

And what a substitute it was! Easily the highlight of my trip :-) Thank you for insisting I go there :-)

Farmallcub
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Loosemeat...? - Mon, 08/8/05 2:04 AM
I saw this in my hometown paper. (Rockford IL) The loss of a great loosemeat.
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050720/BUSINESS06/507200321&SearchID=7321663625121

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 112