Remember Farrell's?

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2005/04/03 14:57:04
Farrell's used to be in the Mall in Louisville, Ky. It was fun to go (I went there as a child), and I remember their burgers and fries being good, not to mention their ice cream. They had an ice cream concoction called "The Trough" and you got some sort of prize if you ate it all. And, they had a HUGE selection of candy. It was kind of a circus atmosphere, and I wish it was still around.

Andrea
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 15:07:54
Andrea,
There's a thread on here somewhere that shows where the Farrells are still open... or have been reopened.
We attended a birthday celebration for one of the grandkids a few years back at the Farrells on the North Side of San Diego (near Miramar Air Station). I know it's still in business.
Yes, I wish we had one here in the Louisville area too !
Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 15:54:30
Ahhh, the Hot Fudge Nutty Nutty, how I loved that thing.
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 16:06:08
The HFNN was my favorite also. Especially the two serving cups of hot fundge! Boy do I misse that.

John
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 16:34:02
I remember the Trough being 2 complete banana splits and you were supposed to say " I made a pig of myself at Farrell's " if you finished it.
Rayme
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 17:04:16
I remember going to birthday parties at Farrell's when I was a kid where you would get these huge ice cream concoctions that could feed 20-30 kids. I think one was called the zoo and one was called the matterhorn and they would bring them in on a stretcher carried by two guys to the sound of horns and sirens. It was fun but I don't remember the ice cream being anything that unusual although I wasn't too picky as far as ice cream was concerned when I was seven.
GB944
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 17:27:01
Ah, the Trough!

It was "just enough for two, you and you!"

Great memory!

gb
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 17:37:34
I have heard of Farrells, but have never been there. It did remind me of a similar place we had growing up in Jersey called Jahns (sp?) Similar the the "trough" theme, they had "The Kitchen Sink" - complete with sparklers blazing and everything! We'd order one for the whole table and dig in. Yum!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 17:50:32
Rayme,
They still do it...or they did at the party for the grandchild we went to! Two employees run all over the store with the punchbowl full of ice cream scoops etc. They have a hand crank siren and do war whoops etc to be sure everyone knows the customer is overindulging!
Does everyone remember the scene in "Bill and Ted's Ex. Adventure" where Napoleon devours the "PIG" at the San Dimas Mall???
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/03 20:57:50
I thought I had driven a wooden stake thru the heart of that monster Farrells about 20 years ago. True, children loved the place, but with the exception of my dear old mother-in-law, no adult i ever knew had any real desire to suffer thru their noise and antics. I'll never forget my Mother-in-law luring us to a Farrell's in St Pete many years ago. When we were seated she suddenly announced, untruthfully, that it was my birthday. One of those "troughs" was served and I was serenaded by the most discordant raucus
band of unruly teenagers one could imagine.

cheers, John
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 09:11:59
AAAAAAAAAH yes i remember it well.. there used to be one in paramus park mall -- my friend and i went in there one july day and she told our 'server person' that it was my birthday (which- incidently is JANUARY 12 not JULY) and OH MY i was never so embarrassed in my life- i had no idea what they did for people on their birthdays.... afterward- we all had a good laugh and it was a lot of fun--but at that moment i could have killed her-- but i didn't and she's still my best friend-- i have also managed to get her back for that a few times over so i'm happy :)
don't know of any around indiana way though.. i'm sure my kids would love that place...:)
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 11:06:04
quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl127

AAAAAAAAAH yes i remember it well.. there used to be one in paramus park mall -- my friend and i went in there one july day and she told our 'server person' that it was my birthday (which- incidently is JANUARY 12 not JULY) and OH MY i was never so embarrassed in my life- i had no idea what they did for people on their birthdays.... afterward- we all had a good laugh and it was a lot of fun--but at that moment i could have killed her-- but i didn't and she's still my best friend-- i have also managed to get her back for that a few times over so i'm happy :)
don't know of any around indiana way though.. i'm sure my kids would love that place...:)

Hi Jerseygirl:

I don't know of any in Indiana at this time. There was a Farrell's in Scottsdale Mall in South Bend, Indiana from when the mall open in the early 1970's until around 1986 or 1988. (if my memory is correct, You live near South Bend)

Jersey, Did you know that when Scottsdale mall opened it was a roadfood junkie heaven? There's was a Farrell's, Dog's and suds, Bressler's Ice Cream and a MCL Cafetia.

jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 11:14:07
garryd451-- trying to get in touch with you again-- can't seem to.. send me an offline or email me or something... just to chat with a neighbor..:)
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 11:57:29
Jerseygirl,
Farrells had at least one Indianapolis location at either Washington Sq or Castleton Mall in the mid 70s. It was out of business sometime in the early 80s. I ate at one in the San Gabriel Valley east of LA in the early 90s that was in a free standing building instead of inside a mall like the other ones I'd seen.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 12:29:29
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Andrea,
There's a thread on here somewhere that shows where the Farrells are still open... or have been reopened.
We attended a birthday celebration for one of the grandkids a few years back at the Farrells on the North Side of San Diego (near Miramar Air Station). I know it's still in business.
Yes, I wish we had one here in the Louisville area too !

Might be this thread you were thinking of...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2109&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=farrell's
elswinger
Hamburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 18:08:27
I used to go to the one in Tacoma, but it has been closed for 20 years (give or take). I used to love their BBQ Roast Beef sandwiches and hot fudge sundaes. I never ordered The Pig, or any other dish that would call attention to me.
elswinger
Hamburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 18:11:08
http://www.farrellsusa.com/
AndreaB
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 18:18:17
Thanks for the links guys / gals! It was always a fun prank to go to Farrells and announce it was someone's birthday! They put on quite a parade with singing and whistles and marching in a line to your table and then standing there singing at the unsuspecting and horrified victim while everyone in the restaurant laughed! For all of this ridiculous hype, I do remember their food being quite good, but then again that is my (then) 10 year old palate speaking!

Andrea
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/04 23:38:29
quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl127

garryd451-- trying to get in touch with you again-- can't seem to.. send me an offline or email me or something... just to chat with a neighbor..:)

Jerseygirl:

I sent You 2 emails om 4-4-2005, I hope they get to You!

Garry
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/05 01:19:54
Farrell's is a great memory. The family would drive into Portland and get sundaes and drink in the noise and the atmosphere.
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/16 18:07:30
Alas, the location of the original Farrell's in Portland (near Lloyd's Center) is closed. For awhile, there was a generic" ice cream parlor in that original location, but that closed down over a year ago.

The Farrell family is into other restaurant ventures now, including a small couple of locations restaurant called Stanford's

http://www.stanfords.com/
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/17 19:04:23
What better place to make my very first post.

I LOVE ice cream and even though Farrell's didn't have the best ice cream it was fun.

I shared a Trough in Canoga Park the night of my high school prom.

Bet I could finish it myself these days.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2005/04/17 23:29:24
There was one up in the Tri-County Mall area, north of Cincinnati, when I was a kid. We celebrated several birthdays there over the course of a few years. I believe it's a Skyline Chili now.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2006/08/11 17:36:45
The last remaining Farrell's in San Diego held an auction this week.
It's all gone. The ice cream dishes, glassware, silverware, decorations, player piano...
Don't know if there are any left anywhere else.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2006/08/11 17:48:39

That is another piece of news I am saddened to read.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2006/08/16 03:49:17
Another bit of my childhood put to rest
roadrash
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2006/10/30 00:43:15
We used to go to the Farrell's in Golden Ring Mall in Essex, MD when I was a kid. Damnable shame they're all gone now.
ctchank
Junior Burger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2006/10/30 08:29:46
We had one in Westland Mall in Hialeah, I really like it, it was always a treat to go there.
chickenwingking
Hamburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2007/08/18 11:02:36
I believe there was one in Sunrise Mall in Massapequa, Long Island. I recall in the 70's one of my friends would always claim it was his birthday for which I think you got a free Sundae.
Quartz
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2007/08/19 11:19:17
If I recall, that was a Detroit Ice Cream Company. We were once one of the Ice Cream Capitols of the World (Sanders, Awrys, Ilunsois, Farrell's). Most of those companies no longer exist now. However, Morley Candy Company (headquartered here), brought the Sandres franchsise and they're now making a comback.

Were stil the Snack Food Capitol though (luckily).

EDIT: Whoops, just did the research. ALTHOUGH they weren't based or founded here, they had a very big presence here as many Detroiters liked the Ice Cream as well.
HoosierDave
Junior Burger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2007/09/03 08:53:53
YES, the one in LA, when I was a boy!

Gastronomicaldelicatessenepicuriansdelight!

KatAustin
Junior Burger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2007/09/06 18:48:10
I remember them, fondly. Used to goto the one at Tyrone Square Mall )St. Pete, FL). It was located right out of the exit for Sears. Now the location is a Ruby Tuesday.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2007/09/06 19:53:39
I have very fond memories of Farrell's. It was a great bar in the Newhallville section of New Haven. Lots of good memories.
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2007/09/08 02:17:18
I had my eigth birthday party at Farrell's in the Oxford Valley Mall, PA

Great Ice cream and cakes. I remember it fondly.
Tony
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2007/09/09 08:39:09
I've never been to a Farrell's, but have been to a Harrell's, aka Steve's Ice Cream, Davis Square Sommerville Ma. and what a spot it was.
Steve's was the inspiration for Ben and Jerry's and Cold Stone Creamery.
Steve eventually sold out to the guy that founded Bertucci's after making his bones in Ice Cream.
It would be nothing to see a long long line at night in the middle of the winter standing on the sidewalk waiting to get in.
I belive after a long hiatus, a noncompete clause, he reopened somewhere in the Berkshire section of Ma. Chow Jim
mcminnj
Junior Burger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2008/05/06 22:14:32
Went to Farrell's in the Houston Galleria on my 16th birthday. Yep, there was the usual embarrassing songs, etc., but even more, a really cute guy (in the bunch of singing waiters) looked at me and loudly announced, "Sweet 16, and never been kissed. Well, I can fix that." Then, he gave me a great big (REAL) kiss. My parents were there, so I didn't quite know what to do, but what a birthday! I still remember it (and it's been a LONG time since 16)!
Stacy
Junior Burger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2008/05/06 22:45:19
Last time I was in one was 1971 in Sunnyvale California!!!!
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2008/05/06 22:51:32
here in sacramento, farrells brings up sad memories- ours was the site of the worst air to ground disaster in the us up to that time

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Sabrejet_crash_site.htm

The final count: Twelve children and 10 adults were killed, including the couple in the car that was struck by the jet. In addition, 28 persons were injured in the devastation. One survivor, only eight-years-old, lost nine family members in the conflagration: both parents, two brothers, a sister, two grandparents and two cousins, and one entire family of four was wiped out completely
AndreaB
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2008/05/07 07:42:35
quote:
Originally posted by californyguy

here in sacramento, farrells brings up sad memories- ours was the site of the worst air to ground disaster in the us up to that time

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Sabrejet_crash_site.htm

The final count: Twelve children and 10 adults were killed, including the couple in the car that was struck by the jet. In addition, 28 persons were injured in the devastation. One survivor, only eight-years-old, lost nine family members in the conflagration: both parents, two brothers, a sister, two grandparents and two cousins, and one entire family of four was wiped out completely

That's a terrible story! I hadn't heard of that. But re the worst in California, I think the PSA crash was worse, though there were less people on the ground killed.

Andrea
Oneiron339
RE: Remember Farrell's? 2008/05/07 16:23:35
In Hawaii last week - they were advertising Farrell's on TV at a mall on Oahu.
squeechfl
Junior Burger
Re:Remember Farrell's? 2009/03/30 20:38:09
I have good news...after reading this thread I went back and found the Farrell's site on Facebook...Yes it's still around and hopefully soon will be back in your town!!!!
I copied and pasted this info from their Facebook group...

FARRELLS ICE CREAM PARLOR Northridge Skateland, located in Northridge, Ca is the premier Roller Skating Rink in the U.S. It is operated by Dave and Mike Fleming, partners in Farrell's International, who are bringing Farrell's back to a new generation. To read more, go to the site...its open to the public...

mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Remember Farrell's? 2009/04/01 13:31:43
I was so excited when the Farrells opened in Windward Mall in Hawaii.......  However, it seemed like the sizes of the sundae glasses and the other serving sizes had undergone a 'Biggest Loser' transformation......  And the prices when the other direction....  I was very disappointed, but - - and this is an important 'but' - - - the grandkids loved it..... 

I am now living on the mainland, but I still send 'grandma mail' occasionally with directions to go to the mall for a Farrells treat....  Complete with embarrassing birthday songs and the wind up siren....... 
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Remember Farrell's? 2009/04/01 15:31:42
You mean the Farrells Ice Cream Parlor we would go to as preteens, in a group, and pretend it was someones birthay? They would bring out some special sundae and sing.I always felt a bit guilty about that.....maybe thats why today I cant stand anyone singing Happy Birthday to me...I actually start laughing at the memory!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Remember Farrell's? 2009/04/19 01:16:16
Always loved the one in Fig Garden Village Fresno, Ca. It was a lot of fun and I always ate the whole trough.

I'd like to see them come back so I could take my kids and g'kids.
DawnT
Re:Remember Farrell's? 2009/04/19 02:04:39
One of my childhood friends became the manager of the one in Hialeah/Westland. For a while every week, a youth group that I was a member of wound up there after a night on the town in the early 70's. They started to tamper with the whole concept around '74 and kept changing everything constantly. They downgraded the ice cream and offerings and reduced the menu to sandwiches. They removed the player piano, stopped the drum thing,and removed the candy. From what I was told, corporate could care less about the input from the individual stores and what worked for them and what didn't. They hired consultants instead that tried to apply one-size-fits-all-stores solutions. My friend left Farrel's out of frustration and moved over to airline food services. They tapped him as part of takeover transition team when they took over Wag's, but nothing ever came out of it. Farrel's found themselves in hot water years ago over the birthday thing. They were soliciting names and birthdays of kids for their birthday club and selling information to Selective Services/Draft. I read about some kids that made up phony names for the ice cream freebies and years later received notices under those names to register. One of the kid's dad was an attorney and pursued it.