Chili Burgers

Junior Burger
2005/04/06 20:27:38
Just signed up here. But if anyone is going to be in the LA area and you love chili burgers, you've got to go to Tommy's. It's been a L.A. institution since the 40's.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2005/04/06 21:20:23
I remember a place in Pasadena off the 210 that had great chili burgers.
They also gave you enough fries to fill a shoebox. I think its name was Topps. It was almost 20 years ago so I don't know its current state.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2005/10/09 13:16:08
Tommy's Original is opening in San Diego November 2005.
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2005/10/09 15:31:20
Hello All,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a chili burger? Could I make one at home? Thanks.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
TxConnie
Hamburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2005/10/09 16:02:40
Chili burger is simply a burger with Chili. Some places serve regular burger style, some serve open face.
HollyDolly
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/01/19 10:05:02
Over at Chester's Hamburgers,a local chain here in the San Antonio,they put chili on a hamburger,with lettuce tomato,onion ,you know,the works.You can also get it with cheese,and they also have one with green chilis.
Another local chain,EZ's has a bean burger in which they put refried beans on a hamburger and cheese,lettuce,etc.
I think these kind of hamburgers are a southwest and west coast kind of thing.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/01/19 15:08:50
Chili burgers are very common here in North Carolina. Chili is served on hamburgers in most of the non chain restaurants. Most places call this All the Way-which is mustard, onion and chili. I always make chili whenever we grill hamburgers and even when I cook them in the frying pan.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/01/19 16:31:35
An open face chili burger (eaten with a fork) is called a chili size here in California. I prefer them this way because you can really have them pile the cheese on.
rsraven
Junior Burger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/05/24 10:33:58
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

They also gave you enough fries to fill a shoebox. I think its name was Topps. It was almost 20 years ago so I don't know its current state.

Top's (just one "p") is still in Pasadena--there are actually 3 of them. A regular order of fries still fills a size 12 shoebox, a half order is enough for three people, and they have just added a "kid's order size" which I still have trouble finishing if I finish my double burger. I've never tried their chili burger because there is a Tommy's Original down the street, and Tommy's is the acknowledged master, but Top's version is probably very good--as is everything at this drive-in.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/05/24 12:33:49
A long way from Texas but I'd love to try a Tommy's chili burger someday. How do they serve up tha chili burger there? Chester's sounds good also and is sure closer.

Kellers in Dallas makes a #5 special that has 2 thin greasy patties, cheese, lettice, tomato, pickels, onions, and a thousand island kinda sauce. Now for the topper, I order my #5 with chili! Real messy but MMMMM.
Joe
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/05/26 03:29:30
They serve it up like a normal burger except a huge ladle of chili is added before putting it together. It's a sloppy, greasy mess, but it's delicious. Is there better chili out there to be had? Yes, but it's not Tommy's. Tommy's is an institution from my youth, and I'm convinced that the food from the original shack at Rampart and Beverly serves the best. It's a tradition thing.

I usually bring a wet handtowel with me, and DO NOT eat the burger in the car. I've been known to get a hankerin at 2 in the AM then find myself driving the 25 minutes to Rampart and Beverly, passing at least 3 other Tommy's in the process.

These aren't sliders, they're gutbombs.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/05/30 22:26:19
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

Chili burgers are very common here in North Carolina. Chili is served on hamburgers in most of the non chain restaurants. Most places call this All the Way-which is mustard, onion and chili. I always make chili whenever we grill hamburgers and even when I cook them in the frying pan.

South Carolina also, only they add coleslaw to them ......
shackburger
Junior Burger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/05/31 16:39:39
A great Chiliburger after about 2000 beers, is a nice thing to do for your body. Especially if the Burger is from Tommy's.
Bob in Cary
Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/01 13:04:46
Wendy's in this area has the Carolina Classic burger which comes with chili, mustard, onions and slaw.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/01 21:13:22
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in Cary

Wendy's in this area has the Carolina Classic burger which comes with chili, mustard, onions and slaw.

Yeah, here too....I have yet to try one though.
I have people trying to order them at my work, and we dont even have coleslaw.
They order a burger, and then say, with --blah, blah, blah, and chili and coleslaw!
I tell them, that we dont put any condiments on, but I can give you chili on it, but no slaw, and they look dejected, like they have the "too much fast food restaurant" look to them.
Like, WHAT? You dont put the ketchup, relish, mustard or mayo on IT?
NO.. We dont!-Do you see a drive thru on the 2nd floor of the resort?Ha ha.
(Not to get off track here..)
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/03 00:56:22
Out here in the mid-atlantic region I have the hardest time ordering a chili size. Most of the time the server gives me a funny look and says what?

So I goto WH and order a double cheeseburger with cheese on the side and a lg bowl of chili, to be brought with the burger. I then make my own.

MikeS.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/03 01:26:31
When I first heard of the chili size here I went to my Waffle House and asked them to make one for me. They were glad to do it.
V960
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/04 13:02:07
The Beacon Drive In in Spartanburg, SC has something called the Chili Cheese burger which could a family for a week. Order it "A-plenty" which means w/ FF AND onion rings and you are about to change your oil and filter.

http://www.beacondrivein.com/reviews.htm

Bob in Cary
Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/04 16:00:18
Is that the same Beacon that was there in the 60s?
V960
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/05 10:18:05
Same one although there has been a change of ownership. One of the many short term but well paid presidents of Hardees bought the place a few years ago. He didn't change a thing. He was pres of Hardees for less than a year and walked away w/ a multi million dollar severance package. Bought a few local places and has since enjoyed life. Bless that child.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/06 03:01:32
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

Out here in the mid-atlantic region I have the hardest time ordering a chili size. Most of the time the server gives me a funny look and says what?

So I goto WH and order a double cheeseburger with cheese on the side and a lg bowl of chili, to be brought with the burger. I then make my own.

MikeS.
Unless the cheese is shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar, it won't taste like the chili size of your Fresno days. Many parts of this country of ours seem to have a love affair with American cheese, a product that's thankfully rare here in Calif as far as restaurants go. A chili size with American cheese is blasphemy.
Farmallcub
Hamburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/06 05:12:44
One of the best burgers with chili on it that I ever had is a Texas Burger at Dog n Sud. Thay put the same coney sauce on it that thay put on the hot dogs.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/08 21:06:14
quote:
Originally posted by rsraven

quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Top's (just one "p") is still in Pasadena--there are actually 3 of them. A regular order of fries still fills a size 12 shoebox, a half order is enough for three people, and they have just added a "kid's order size" which I still have trouble finishing if I finish my double burger. I've never tried their chili burger because there is a Tommy's Original down the street, and Tommy's is the acknowledged master, but Top's version is probably very good--as is everything at this drive-in.

I'm glad to hear Tops is still around, I loved their chili burgers. Two other Pasadena favorites of mine from my time in SoCal were the Pure Food and Drink Act ( which I know is closed now, still have the coffee mug though) and the Peppermill Restaurant ( I don't know if its still around). I loved the Peppermill's peppercorn encrusted steak and their homemade vegetable soup.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/13 06:51:39
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

MikeS.
Unless the cheese is shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar, it won't taste like the chili size of your Fresno days. Many parts of this country of ours seem to have a love affair with American cheese, a product that's thankfully rare here in Calif as far as restaurants go. A chili size with American cheese is blasphemy.

Yep. sliced american, maybe I should bring my own cheese???

MikeS.

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/06/14 20:31:26
Or do like I do and make your own chili size.
jack38
Junior Burger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/07/07 00:06:44
I have had the Tommy's chili burgers and they are great. Especially with those little hot peppers in the bowl they set on the counter.
They had the best chili size at a place called Sally's.It was located on Hawthorne Blvd in Inglewood.That was in the 50's and early 60's so it probably no longer exists.
Cinnabonbon
Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/08/02 18:41:37
I agree Tommy's is the best chili burgers here in SO CA. The burger is the bun, meat, chili, pickles onions, tomato & mustard. That's about it. It's the chili without beans that makes it so tasty! You can have a shipment of the chili sent to you. The details are on their web site. http://www.originaltommys.com/
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/08/02 21:03:59
Chili burgers are on the menus at many places in Houston but I seldom order them so can't comment except on two. Roadster Grill at Bellaire and Bissonet in Bellaire (and other locations) has a chili burger I believe they call the Texas Road Kill burger, and it's a mess. Served on a china plate if you eat in, which is probably the best way to do it, it involves their angus beef patty topped with what must be close to a whole bowl of chili. It's served more or less open-faced and comes with a knife, fork and spoon. Within just a couple of minutes it's beyond picking up to eat. I had one just once, several years ago, and left absolutely stuffed. You can get it with all the other hamburger fixings if you like.

Just 30 or so yards away from that original location of Roadster is Bellaire Broiler Burger, the last remnant of a chain of broiler burger joints dating back to the 50s. They still use an ancient char-broiler. Their burgers are not large, almost one-handed affairs. Shredded cheddar is placed in a ring around the outside of the patty and the chili is ladled in the center so it stays relatively manageable. It's a very good burger, actually the best thing on the menu.

My favorite chili burger of all time was served by a local chain called Hamburgers by Gourmet dating back to the 60s thru the 80s. One of their speciality burgers was a char-grilled knockwurst chili-cheese burger. They were serving 1/3 # patties back then. The chili was mixed with a copious amount of shredded cheddar so that it was not flowable; that was placed on top of the patty then a split, grilled knockwurst topped that. I think it may have come with onions and pickles but nothing else. That was an awfully good burger, like a triple decker burger and a meal in itself.
HollyDolly
RE: Chili Burgers 2006/08/10 12:26:23
I like the chili burgers at Chester's Hamburgers in Universal City.And like someone said ,they are sure messy to eat,but sure taste good.I also love their home made french fries.