What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ???

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 80
Jayla
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points : 0
What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 4:35 AM
What's You absolute Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? Mines would have to be....I just can't choose

Rhodes
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 6:02 AM
Here's two of my all-time favorites:

Penne with Sausage, Peas, and Mascarpone

3/4 lb hot italian sausages, casings removed
3/4 lb sweet italian sausages, casings removed
1 c. onion, chopped
1 1/4 c. whipping cream
3/4 c. chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1 lb penne
2 c. frozen peas
2/3 c. mascarpone cheese
3/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Sauté sausage in Dutch oven over high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 12 min. Transfer to bowl with slotted spoon, set aside. Pour off all but 1 Tb drippings, add onion and saut‚ until light brown, about 6 min. Add cream, boil 6 min. Add broth, boil until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 8 min. Return sausage to pot. Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite. Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer over med. heat, add peas and mascarpone and simmer until peas are tender, about 6 min. Drain pasta, add to sauce and toss to coat. Mix in parmesan, season with salt and pepper, transfer to large bowl and serve. 6 servings.

Spaghetti Puttanesca

2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 28 oz tin plum tomatoes, roughly chopped, w/ juices
12 oz dry packaged spaghetti, pref. DeCecco
½ c. + 2 Tb chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
10-14 calamata olives, pitted & roughly chopped, to taste
2 Tb capers, to taste
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp crushed red pepper. to taste
a few anchovies, sliced finely (optional)
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

In a large heavy skillet heat the oil over med-high heat, add garlic & sauté until it begins to colour. Add tomatoes w/ juices, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 min., stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly. While the sauce reduces, begin heating water for the pasta in a large pot. Begin cooking spaghetti according to package instructions. While spaghetti is cooking, add ½ c. parsley and rest of ingredients except cheese, stir and heat thoroughly. Cook spaghetti al dente, drain and shake vigorously and tip into a large heated serving dish. Spoon half the sauce over pasta, sprinkle w/ remaining parsley and toss well. Serve remaining sauce and cheese alongside.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 11:25 AM
Spaghettini with a sauce of olive oil, anchovies, crushed pepper and capers! I absolutely LOVE the stuff!!! Wonderful with a good italian roast chicken or veal picante! I may just have to do this for dinner tonight!!! With fried eggplant!!!

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 11:39 AM
I though I had a favorite but when I stopped to think it over I realized - IT'S ALL GOOD! If had HAD to pick just 1 it would be spaghetti and meatballs for the comfort factor.

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 12:30 PM
I'll be eating with Rhodes. My Italian staple is Spaghetti with Putanesca sauce and I make it almost the same way. His (her?) other recipe sounds great too, but I love asparagus and usually make something very similar but using asparagus instead of peas and chopped prosciutto instead of sausage.

Hey R? When's dinner?

PS: IMHO DeCecco pasta is absolutely the best. I've tried all the others and, by contrast, they seem mushy (I've tried varying the cooking times)--I love the "al dente" bite of DeCecco. The one problem I've had with it, and this has been the case with some lots I've bought from various suppliers including over the internet, is BUGS--little Italian grain weevils. You can see them in the strands of pasta if you look carefully through the celophane on the box. Because of this, I keep my pasta out in the garage or otherwise away from my other grain-based foods, just in case.

tiki
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 12:50 PM
I gotta agree with both of you non the DeCecco---thankfully i have Lovera's Market down the road in Krebs! It's the best dry pasta on the market. Second only to fresh made.
Also i must add that when it comes to red sauce- My Noni's recipe stared with a Boston Butt and cooked LONG to a deep rich burgandy in which she would simmer pan browned sausages and meatballs in for about 3 hrs. She would remove all the meat to a serving bowl--including the pork which by now was SO tender and falling apart--"Italian Pulled pork" so to speak The sauce was of course served with all kinds of pasta but my alltime time favorite vehicle for it was Homemade Potato Gnocci!

BTW Rhodes---thanks for the recipes---they both look good! I pulled them into a recipe fill i have that allows me a Roadfood gathered" cookbook. Your tucked nin there with Bushie's Beans!

sugarlander
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 1:53 PM
Remember when Consumer Reports used to list bug parts and rodent hairs in their food ratings. I always thought that was neat though gruesome. Don't know why they stopped--maybe some were offended. I hope it wasn't that the companies persuaded them, as they're supposed to be unbiased.

sugarlander
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 1:55 PM
Back to the topic, my favorite is homemade spaghetti with meat sauce, or else lasagna made with meat sauce and bechamel sauce.

Rhodes
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 2:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Hey R? When's dinner?

PS: IMHO DeCecco pasta is absolutely the best. I've tried all the others and, by contrast, they seem mushy (I've tried varying the cooking times)--I love the "al dente" bite of DeCecco. The one problem I've had with it, and this has been the case with some lots I've bought from various suppliers including over the internet, is BUGS--little Italian grain weevils. You can see them in the strands of pasta if you look carefully through the celophane on the box. Because of this, I keep my pasta out in the garage or otherwise away from my other grain-based foods, just in case.

Dinner's on about 6:30 pm local time Tonight it's Trader Joe's frozen seafood mix with garlic, white wine, parsley and De Cecco Cappellini , polenta for SO who has a tragic wheat intolerance I remember an unfortunate childhood episode when we discovered we had weevils as my Mom boiled up a big pot of spaghetti and multiple tiny black floaters came up to the surface

Rhodes
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 2:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

I gotta agree with both of you non the DeCecco---thankfully i have Lovera's Market down the road in Krebs! It's the best dry pasta on the market. Second only to fresh made.
Also i must add that when it comes to red sauce- My Noni's recipe stared with a Boston Butt and cooked LONG to a deep rich burgandy in which she would simmer pan browned sausages and meatballs in for about 3 hrs. She would remove all the meat to a serving bowl--including the pork which by now was SO tender and falling apart--"Italian Pulled pork" so to speak The sauce was of course served with all kinds of pasta but my alltime time favorite vehicle for it was Homemade Potato Gnocci!

BTW Rhodes---thanks for the recipes---they both look good! I pulled them into a recipe fill i have that allows me a Roadfood gathered" cookbook. Your tucked nin there with Bushie's Beans!

Thanks Dude, I'm honored! The Penne recipe is truly decadent, generally a once-in-a-long-while indulgence but oh so worth it. The Puttanesca is much more on the order of a weekday dinner type thing. Your red sauce description makes me wish I had an Italian Noni....

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 5:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rhodes

I remember an unfortunate childhood episode when we discovered we had weevils as my Mom boiled up a big pot of spaghetti and multiple tiny black floaters came up to the surface

This has happend to me more than once with DeCecco spaghetti. Since, as I said, you can pretty much see them in the strands when they are there and since, after CAREFUL examination I decided they had pretty much all floated to the top, I went ahead with dinner as planned after skimming away all the black bits. I figured any that might still be present were well cooked and improved the protein/carb ratio of the meal.

sweetgherkin
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/8/05 11:16 PM
Linguine aglio e olio, please. My favorite version yet was at a (now departed) mostly coffee house sort of place that also had an Italian menu. In their version of this they used garlic slices instead of chopped, and topped it with toasted garlicky bread crumbs. Absolutely perfect, and even though it is so simple, I can't make it taste the same at home, or maybe that is just my memory playing tricks on me.

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Sat, 04/9/05 2:45 PM
Oh, Lord, that would be like choosing between my children (if I had any, which I don't). I like ANY kind of pasta and sauce. My cousin claims that my eyes light up anytime someone so much as mentions Italian food!

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Sun, 04/10/05 10:05 AM
I like a simple spaghetti with a marinara sauce with lots of garlic and basil. To me, that's the test of a restaurant --- if they can't get that right everything else is likely to be "not so good".
At home, I love making lasagna packed w/ spicy sausage, ricotta and mozzarella cheese, and a zesty tomato sauce with plenty of garlic, oregano, and basil. Yum!

Andrea

Chef Susan
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Sun, 04/10/05 9:59 PM
Aglio e Olio - garlic and olive oil with Spaghetti.

Cook the pasta in 1 gallon water to 1# of pasta (yes, I use DeCecco...no, have NEVER encountered bugs)

About 30 seconds before the pasta is done,
take a small, cold saute pan. For one serving, pour in about
2 T. olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic - sliced
1/8-1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Turn on the heat, and let the garlic sizzle, turn white...then SLIGHTLY brown around the edges, then add:
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 T. freshly chopped parsley

Drain the pasta, toss in the pan with the olive oil mix, plate up and sprinkle with parm.

YUM!!!

forurlungsonly
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Sun, 04/10/05 10:46 PM
I'll eat just about any pasta gladly if it's not covered in tomato (spaghetti, marinara, whatever you'd like to call it) sauce. Yuck! As a child I wouldn't touch the stuff and to this day I don't much like it. I'll eat it now, but it's never my first choice.

One of my favorite ways is to simply mix Italian sausage, garlic, and spinach with hot penne. No sauce needed.

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Mon, 04/11/05 12:30 AM
There is no way that I can name a favorite Italian Pasta Dish, they are all good. The two recipes that Rhodes posted sure sound good. I have a couple recipes that we use a lot, that are close to these. We will try these for sure. We love the sausages from Lovera's Market n Krebs, Oklahoma. We have found that Crest Market in Midwest City carries this item. Thank the good lord for this as I have got so old that I can't make the trip to Krebs like I use to.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Mon, 04/11/05 3:35 AM
My mother is Italian. We go to Italy to see the relatives. We do not eat spaghetti. We do not eat lasagne. We do not eat any pasta that was bought in a groceria.
The women (me included) all get together and make gnocchi, tortelloni, tortellini, ravioletti, fusilli, linguine, ect. I do not like commercially-made pasta. It's much better made fresh and dried at home.

CarolinaBill
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Mon, 04/11/05 11:21 AM
Must admit to being a traditionalist with pasta dishes - greatly prefer old Neopalitan-style red sauces above all. Nothing like ribs or pork roast cooked forever into red Italian "Gravy" with fresh pasta. If I use dried, I prefer Barilla.

But I just say NO to the ubiquitous Alfredos that are standard at nearly all restaurants these days.

dctourist
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Mon, 04/11/05 11:30 AM
Orecchiette with broccoli rabe braised with garlic and anchovies, finished with parmesan... I like to add a can of chickpeas for extra protein.

BakersBoy
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Mon, 04/11/05 1:20 PM
Carbonarra, I could eat it every day. That along with Beef-a-Roni of course.

BB

dendan
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Mon, 04/11/05 4:57 PM
Chicken piccata with linguini is by far our MOST favorite!! YUM!!

sugarlander
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Mon, 04/11/05 5:19 PM
One of my favorite comfort foods is noodles with butter and salt. Very soothing.

hefried
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 04/13/05 12:31 AM
any pasta shape( preferably with out bugs) cooked al dente and finished in a saute pan of garlic, anchovies, redpepper flakes, chickpeas ans sliced stuffed manzanilla olives, sauteed in olive oil ( enough to coat the pasta) its sooooooooooooooo good. whenever i make it people eat it all up, even folks who "don't like" anchovies.

p.s. ooops, i don't know if it's Italian or not, however... I doubt it.

hefried
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 04/13/05 12:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

One of my favorite comfort foods is noodles with butter and salt. Very soothing.

i love that ALOT too. and white rice with butter and salt. two of the most comforting comfort foods.... mmmmmmm

tiki
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 04/13/05 7:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by hefried

any pasta shape( preferably with out bugs) cooked al dente and finished in a saute pan of garlic, anchovies, redpepper flakes, chickpeas ans sliced stuffed manzanilla olives, sauteed in olive oil ( enough to coat the pasta) its sooooooooooooooo good. whenever i make it people eat it all up, even folks who "don't like" anchovies.

p.s. ooops, i don't know if it's Italian or not, however... I doubt it.

Sounds Italian to me!!

readjl
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/29/05 2:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

My mother is Italian. We go to Italy to see the relatives. We do not eat spaghetti. We do not eat lasagne. We do not eat any pasta that was bought in a groceria.
The women (me included) all get together and make gnocchi, tortelloni, tortellini, ravioletti, fusilli, linguine, ect. I do not like commercially-made pasta. It's much better made fresh and dried at home.

You cannot eat an oil-based sauce with fresh pasta because it soaks it all up. Certain dishes like Linguini with clams, aglio e olio don't go so well with fresh pasta. Plus, if you're doing it by hand you'll need eggs (uovo) and some Italians don't like pasta con uovo (Neapolitans) and prefer dried pasta.

txtwister
  • Total Posts : 259
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/29/05 4:59 PM
Hmmmm. I've got to go with baked manicotti, I think. Well.. or rigatoni, or... Basically if it's got a good marinara or meat sauce and melted cheese, I'm happy.

bethgrd
  • Total Posts : 320
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/29/05 5:10 PM
As far as brand names, I prefer Ronzoni.

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/29/05 6:02 PM
Favorite Italian Comfort Food: Spaghetti and Meatballs (childhood memories, my mother's meatballs which I can't for the life of me duplicate)

Favorite Italian Food I Make Myself: Vegetable Lasagna - Time consuming, but sooooo worth it.

Favorite Restaurant Italian Food: I have always loved chicken marsala, but a couple of weeks ago my husband and I went to a little Italian place close to our house and I tried Veal Francaise (probably not spelled right). Oh, it was good. Very lemony, which meant it was very sour, but in a good way. I think that's a new favorite.

Does Ceasar Salad count? I know it's not really Italian food, but it's often served in Italian restaurants. SO if it does count, that's a favorite too. (My homemade being the best). If it doesn't count, then please accept a sincere apology from a naive Irish girl!

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 04/29/05 11:59 PM
- Boulanaise ... especially at Mediterraneo in Providence.

- Skyline 5 Way

- EVOO, anchovy and garlic

- Chef Boyardee ravioli
(in the small size or from Costco) ... carry some in your bag when traveling and it just might take the edge off your late night appetite.)

kozel
  • Total Posts : 810
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 05/3/05 7:41 AM
If you like the garlic, anchovy and red pepper, you may want to try Puttanesca. It's similar but with crushed tomato, olives and capers.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7597
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 05/4/05 12:30 AM
White clam sauce or a thin red, spicy sauce.

If on the menu (Never at home)my number one choice is Pescatore. That way I get my clams and all of the other seafood goodies in a thin spicy red sauce over linguini.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 06/1/05 2:16 AM
I would have to say that my favorite is butternut squash ravioli with sage and brown butter sauce. I could eat a ton of it! Sweet, nutty, woodsy, salty!! Knocks my socks off every time.

SoulOnFire
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 06/10/05 10:25 PM
My favorite dish? I used to get it all the time in Panama,never seen it up here. It was called Lasagna Gratinada. It was a piece of lasagana placed in a shallow,round pan then baked with cheese and a sorta alfredo sauce covering and surrounding it. Oh Lord it was good!

My mom's lasagana is also excellent even if she isn't italian. And I make a a type of meat sauce that uses alot of latin spices and whatnot. If you've never been to Panama,you've never tasted my style of sauce.

SoulOnFire
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Fri, 06/10/05 10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SoulOnFire

My favorite dish? I used to get it all the time in Panama,never seen it up here. It was called Lasagna Gratinada. It was a piece of lasagana placed in a shallow,round pan then baked with cheese and a sorta alfredo sauce covering and surrounding it. Oh Lord it was good!

My mom's lasagana is also excellent even if she isn't italian. And I make a a type of meat sauce that uses alot of latin spices and whatnot. If you've never been to Panama,you've never tasted my style of sauce.

Wait,scratch that recipe for the lasagana gratinada. It was actually covered and baked in cheese with bits of bacon or ham sprinkled through out. My fiancee corrected me.

pappy
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Sun, 06/12/05 5:59 PM
There are so very many Italian dishes that Mr. Pappy and I dearly love, and to choose a favorite would be impossible. Just whatever we are in the mood for at the moment.

Today we are having just a very simple Linguini with herbed garlic butter and steamed shrimp, sprinkled liberally with freshly grated Asiago Cheese. Oh yes, and a nice crisp salad with Italian Dressing.

Bon Apetite !!

Mrs. Pappy

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 06/14/05 4:56 PM
Lipton has a new line of pasta and rice which features Asian, Hispanic and Italian. All of them are good and easy to prepare. Since I am retired, I fix these almost daily.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 06/15/05 1:24 PM
Spaghetti with just a little butter and some italian spices. Quite lovely, simple, and good.

linus
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 06/28/05 7:51 AM
Mr.Pierre, I'm with you. mine is just a tad more involved, but same concept.
When my tomatos are ripe, I take a vacation day from my low carb life.
After cooking my spaghetti al dente I saute fresh,rough chopped tomatos in a mix of butter and olive oil with onion, garlic, salt pepper. After the tomatos and onions soften up, we pour it on our pasta and top with shredded parm.

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 06/28/05 7:55 AM
At home, good old spaghetti and meatballs, please.

when eating out, anything with white clam sauce (the broth kind, not with cream)

2nd choice is anything with italian link sausage, perhaps cooked sliced into red sauce and over penne with mushrooms.

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 06/28/05 8:14 AM
Whats the use of making fresh pasta and then drying it out?It should be cooked as soon as you cut it.

elswinger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 06/30/05 2:09 PM
Besides spaghetti and meat sauce, I also like:

Rigatoni with Extra Sharp White Cheddar sauce, sun dried tomatoes, black olives and, roasted garlic

Radiatori with chopped up Chicken Parmiagana and Marinara sauce

Tri-color Fussili (chilled) with Caesar salad dressing, sundried tomatoes, black olives, chopped mushrooms sauted in pesto, roasted garlic, artichoke hearts, and capers.

elswinger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 06/30/05 2:11 PM
Oh, and:

Fresh linguini with sausage marinara, shrimp, green olives, smoked clams, onion, and mushrooms

PaulBPool
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 06/30/05 2:15 PM
I have a recipe for lasagna that I got someplace years ago (the NY Daily News, perhaps?) that turns out the most AMAZING meal! It uses a combination of ground beef AND ground hot sausage as the basis for the meat sauce - and the sauce recipe itself is just great. I have made this dish many times, and it never fails to get raves - including from my girlfriends' 100% italian family, who pride themselves on keeping italian kitches, and cooking authentic dishes in them!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 06/30/05 2:24 PM
Can someone tell me why my lasagne NEVER seems to "set" and slice nicely??? Is my sauce not thick enough? Is it because I use cottage cheese? I've even tried draining this cheese but don't seem to get enough liquid off to make a difference. I just bought a new pan from Pampered Chefs made specifically for lasagne(deeper than most pans), I haven't tried it yet. I usually make mancotti due to this in which I do use the ricotta.

bluetick
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 07/6/05 10:57 PM
Not exactly Roadfood pricing, but the Gnocchi della Mamma (Potato based Dumplings tossed in Bolognese Meat Sauce with ground Beef, Veal & Pork, Ground Vegetables, White Wine, and Tomato Sauce) at Filomena in Georgetown is hard to beat. I just wish I had the skills and know-how to duplicate it in my own cucina.

Beer&Snausages
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 07/7/05 12:19 AM
Macaroni Pie from Mama Italia's here in Owings Mills, with Garlic Knots and meatsauce w/ meatballs. Giovanni stacks this delicacy 8 inches high, it's multi layered with noodles, cheese, prosciutto and cut in a wedge like a piece of pie.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 07/7/05 2:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bluetick

Not exactly Roadfood pricing, but the Gnocchi della Mamma (Potato based Dumplings tossed in Bolognese Meat Sauce with ground Beef, Veal & Pork, Ground Vegetables, White Wine, and Tomato Sauce) at Filomena in Georgetown is hard to beat. I just wish I had the skills and know-how to duplicate it in my own cucina.

It's really easier than you think. The cookbook "Lidia's Italian Table" has very clear instructions for potato gnocchi that even a novice can follow. I helped open one of her restaurants and learned to make it from Lidia. She taught us how to do it exactly like she does it in her book. She was a wonderful teacher as were her chefs. I learned a lot from them.

tiki
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 07/7/05 3:04 PM
zataar is right---when i was very young my noni would have me making gnocci--my little brother and i loved it---squishing potato in the ricer!! rolling the "snakes" out of the dough!! and NOTHING is quite so good as homemade fresh gnocci!!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17816
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 07/7/05 3:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Can someone tell me why my lasagne NEVER seems to "set" and slice nicely??? Is my sauce not thick enough? Is it because I use cottage cheese? I've even tried draining this cheese but don't seem to get enough liquid off to make a difference. I just bought a new pan from Pampered Chefs made specifically for lasagne(deeper than most pans), I haven't tried it yet. I usually make mancotti due to this in which I do use the ricotta.

Using cottage cheese might very well be one cause. It is more wet than ricotta. The other cuplrit likely is too much sauce.

tiki
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 07/7/05 5:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Another thing you can try is to make it a day early and let it set uo up in the fridge over night--then slice it in portions sizes and reheat--this is commen restaraunt practice---and like so many good pasta dishes--lasgana really does taste better the 2nd day!---and keep it fairly dry sauce wise---when it is plated if it needs sauce you can always ladle some over the top and sprinle with cheese!---also--mix egg in with your ricotta before you bake---binds it really well.

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 07/7/05 5:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

Whats the use of making fresh pasta and then drying it out?It should be cooked as soon as you cut it.

nope. it's usually allowed to dry a bit so it's not gummy. you're not drying it out like dry pasta, which, by the way, is made from a different mixture which hasn't any egg in it.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Thu, 07/7/05 8:33 PM
One of my favorite dishes is one from a local restaurant, DiCicco's.. they call it "Scarface", and it is penne with chicken breast, mushrooms, and alfredo sauce... it's very rich. My other fave is Linguini with white clam sauce from Mike's restaurant. It has huge chunks of roasted garlic along with the clams.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 07/12/05 1:32 AM
I love the gnocchi at the Tuscany Grill in Portland. My guilty pleasure is spaghetti with Mizithra cheese at The Old Spaghetti factory.

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 07/12/05 9:23 AM
Why are you using Cottage cheese?I make two giant pans of Lasagna a week and I use Ricotta,grated parm. cheese,eggs,parsley and mozzarella.Baked for 45 minutes I can take it out and let it cool and I can cut it right out of the pan without it falling apart.Maybe its the sauce.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 07/12/05 10:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

Why are you using Cottage cheese?I make two giant pans of Lasagna a week and I use Ricotta,grated parm. cheese,eggs,parsley and mozzarella.Baked for 45 minutes I can take it out and let it cool and I can cut it right out of the pan without it falling apart.Maybe its the sauce.

Cottage cheese?? Mom always did it that way. I'll try cutting back on sauce for sure. The day ahead idea as well. If I still have running lasagne I'll switch to ricotta, although I like the flavor of the cottage. Maybe I could mix a little cottage in the ricotta. Thanks everyone.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17816
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Tue, 07/12/05 10:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

One of my favorite dishes is one from a local restaurant, DiCicco's.. they call it "Scarface", and it is penne with chicken breast, mushrooms, and alfredo sauce... it's very rich. My other fave is Linguini with white clam sauce from Mike's restaurant. It has huge chunks of roasted garlic along with the clams.

I do not believe I'd ever go to a restaurant that so degraded Italians by naming one of its dishes after a murdering gangster who died of complications from syphillis.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 07/13/05 9:17 AM
It may not be authentic Italian but my favorite pasta dish is linguini with a crabmeat marinara sauce at Lombardi's in Ocean City, MD. It's a small Italian restaurant in a strip shopping center at 94th street. They only make it during the summer months.

tiki
RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? - Wed, 07/13/05 9:50 AM
Hmmm---how odd---nothing here from fastfood about the world famos "Pasta Connection" franchises--owned --of course by the wondrful folks that brought you ARBY"S!!!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 80