My 5 favorite burgers (currently available) are (and this'll take some serious thought!):
1) The Grill - Athens, Georgia. Big Molly Burger medium with everything; a side of homemade potato salad. I've never had a better burger than is served here, in any size or style.
2) Copper Creek Brewing Co. - Athens, Georgia. Blueburger medium-rare; a side of broccoli. I was amazed at the quality of this item at my favorite drinking place.
3) Euclid Avenue Yacht Club - Atlanta, Georgia. The regular cheeseburger medium-rare, but use homemade pimiento cheese spread instead of anything else; side depends on what the day's offerings are. Everything is always good at this wondrous, dependable neighborhood (Little Five Points) jernt.
4) The Globe - Athens, Georgia. Dinerburger with everything, medium; side (again) depending on the day's offerings. A decent kitchen has opened up at a fine drinking establishment.
5) The Universal Joint - Decatur, Georgia. The Works Burger with everything, medium-rare; sides (again) depending on what the day's menu offers. Another dependable neighborhood place, this one in the Oakdale neighborhood in South Decatur.
When I'm feeling greazy-sleasy (spellings are correct as to mood): The Varsity, in any of the convenient-to-me locations in Athens or Atlanta. Steak Through The Garden (I think that's their terminology) with chili cheese fries. A stroke in the making.
I'll have to try the Vortex burger at my next opportunity. Also five or six other places here and yonderways.
Unburgerenedly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
P. S. I've never eaten a burger at The Royal Cafe - every day I'm too busy with the day's meat-and-three to sidestep into such predictably relatively-mundane turf.