In search of the perfect mustard...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
fdoosey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2005/04/12 19:17:46 (permalink)

In search of the perfect mustard...

I've had many different brands of mustard on my dogs. Admittedly, I'm partial to spicy brown mustard, and thus far, Silver Spring's Beer & Brat has been the one to top. A friend in Cleveland swears that Stadium mustard is perfection, but I'm still waiting on him to send me some.

In NJ, Kosciusko is also a good brand, but I think it's more for Polish sausage and wursts...

Let's hear what makes the mustard good to you.

63 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 19:27:30 (permalink)
    Ive got about 15 mustards that i really like---depends on the mood--the meal---my favorite standard---Gouldens spicy brown---but i like cajon style,german styles--Dussledorf full grain mustards--cranberry mustard--horseradish--dijon for a great ham sandwich--the list is LARGE--i also like the mustard that Sierra Nevada Brewery puts out--killer with brats and polish!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 19:31:39 (permalink)
    Don't get me started on this. Does it count if I like to eat mustard straight out of container with whatever is available; including fingers...
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 19:55:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Don't get me started on this. Does it count if I like to eat mustard straight out of container with whatever is available; including fingers...

Will you be dining at Wendy's with the lady in San Jose?
    fdoosey
    Junior Burger
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 19:59:11 (permalink)
    quote:

Yes, it even counts more, you got experience with direct tastings!

My personal preference is for strong flavor, but sometimes it's just not fitting for the food. Kosciusko makes a beer mustard, and on dogs it's only so-so. It's on the milder side with a strong beer flavor. I liked it more on liverwurst or smoked ham. Yellow mustard is good for finger painting, I guess, if nothing else is handy, it'll do.

My ham sammiches as of late have been spiked with the Beer & Brat Horseradish mustard, and a dollop of their Extra Hot horseradish. It's got a good, solid kick that's been wonderful on whatever I've tried it on.

If anyone can tell me if Stadium Mustard is as good as I've been told, let me know. I might just order it.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4319
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 20:05:08 (permalink)
    fdoosey, I'm with your Cleveland friend-the stadium mustard is pretty darn tasty. A local citizen related an interesting story associated with same. Apparently the mustard served for many years in the stadium ("Jacob's Field" for those who don't know) is called "Bertman's Mustard". Some years back someone came up with an almost identical recipe which they managed to put out on the market under the name "Stadium Mustard". Now, "Bertman's" is the original, the one actually served in the stadium. But if you go into a local store and ask for "Stadium Mustard", you'll get the imitation. OK, it's not that interesting a story, but it is a story, and "Bertman's Mustard" really is very good, so there.
    fdoosey
    Junior Burger
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 20:22:19 (permalink)
    I relayed this to my Cleveland friend, who responded rather fiercely in defense of Stadium. Evidently Cleveland takes its mustard seriously...
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 20:56:07 (permalink)
    Frankly, I want to taste the hot dog, not the mustard. I want a simple, unpretentious mustard that complements the meat without overpowering it. I like to buy fancy mustards and small local mustards as much as the next guy -- there's a section of our fridge that's devoted to nothing but mustard, and we have at least a half-dozen at any given time. But on a hot dog? Plochman's. Every time. Not even the fancy-pants Plochman's, just the stuff in the yellow plastic barrel-shaped squeeze jar!
    fdoosey
    Junior Burger
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 21:13:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Frankly, I want to taste the hot dog, not the mustard. I want a simple, unpretentious mustard that complements the meat without overpowering it.

I think most of us can agree on that, but it's still important to have a mustard with a good flavor, especially with a dog. A bland mustard or one with an off taste will make the dog experience worse. I don't put a ton on mine unless the dog itself is not so good, which happens depending on who's making them. Usually, I'll do mustard, ketchup (I know, heresy among some!), dill relish. For a changeup, I'll try cole slaw, baked beans, onions in sauce, or salsa.
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 21:26:57 (permalink)
    well i am from cleveland, and speak for the stadium mustard,it's good on everything from burgers to hot dogs.
    sayscalled
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/12 23:47:15 (permalink)
    Grey Poupon Honey Dijon. Made with real honey for the perfect amount of sweet-n-spicy!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 10:09:08 (permalink)
    I love mustards of all kinds, true heaven is going to the Mustard Museum in Mt. Horeb Wisconsin where you can sample most of the mustards they carry. CSD gave a link above. For most things I like something spicy with horseradish or jalepeno base.

www.mustardmuseum.com

vegas
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 10:15:27 (permalink)

Zatarains Creole, cant wait to get to NOLA in 2 weeks to stock up
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 10:52:48 (permalink)
    Interesting how many really good regional mustards there are that most of us never heard of. Like tiki, my favorite "regular" mustard is Goulden's Spicy Brown for hot dogs and some sandwiches. For dipping pig's in blanket's, I like a local called Nances Sharp Mustard.
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 11:08:21 (permalink)
    Woeber's Salad Style yellow mustard. That's the stuff...

Also a fan of Zatarain's Creole Mustard, but that comes from living in the Bayou State.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18954
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 12:00:12 (permalink)
    Bertman's is very good, but I'm a staunch Guldens fan when it comes to everyday mustard for hot dogs, hamburgers, Treet, Spam and now, Taylor Pork Roll. However, I do like a good Dijon mustard for a number of things, including Vienna sausage. But, when it's for a pastrami or corned beef sandwich, or a Kosher salami sandwich, nothing beats Batampte. For ham, kielbasa, a glaze for a rack of lamb, and some other things, my mustard of choice is Pommery.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 13:10:31 (permalink)
    Weber's Mustard
    Much of the appeal lies in the product's tradition, classic yellow color, and timeless gourmet flavor. Weber's Mustard has been a secret family recipe since it's inception, and until 1980, every jar was individually packed and hand labeled. Currently Heintz & Weber ships more than 2,000 cases across America and beyond to former Buffalonians who can't live without their Weber's. In recent years, our "cult following" of specialty mustard lovers has been turning the tradition over to their new friends and neighbors. Now, 82 years later, Weber's Mustard remains the #1 selling mustard in Western New York. Our mail-order sales continue sustained rates of 25% or more growth yearly, along with 80% of the mail-orders recieved still ship to first-time Weber's Mustard fans.
    Heintz & Weber Co, Inc. was founded in 1922 at the Broadway Market by Joseph C. Weber and John Heintz. Heintz, no relation to the HJ Heinz Company of Pittsburgh, was brought out in 1926 by Weber, and the company has remained family owned and opperated ever since.

fdoosey
    Junior Burger
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 13:45:01 (permalink)
    Forgot about Woeber's, I have the horseradish sauce in the fridge, and I am a big fan of their products as well, outstanding flavor on everything I tried. Plus, I love the old-timey label.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/13 19:45:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Most Chicago hot dog stands serve a yellow mustard as French's, Heinz, or Plochman's. A real Chicago Polish is eaten with Dusseldorf. I've tried Bertman's and Stadium and like both. I use mustard sparingly on a hot dog as not to drown out the taste of the meat. I order my mustards from www.mustardmuseum.com

CSD

CSD, have to disagree with you on this one, while I always use Dussseldorf on fresh polish sausage cooked with Kraut, I am pretty sure that Jim's Original which serves the best smoked Polish sandwich in Chicago and arguably the world uses yellow mustard.
    hottdawggmann
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/14 12:30:43 (permalink)
    1 word - GULDENS
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/14 12:45:48 (permalink)
    I've got a different word -- Coleman's. Mixed just with water for cold roast beef and lamb, but with some white vinegar or champagnge vinegar and maybe some honey, sugar or maple syrup for dogs and sausages.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/14 23:55:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fdoosey

A friend in Cleveland swears that Stadium mustard is perfection, but I'm still waiting on him to send me some.

Several years ago my only source for the Cleveland Stadium Mustard was one of my route drivers. He'd bring the mustard and I'd bring him different Cincinnati delicacies. Now it's available everywhere and I always keep a jar on hand. I've noticed that it's especially popular with the Friday night post-football game crowd on the nights when I don't do burgers.
    Also, IIRC there are two kinds. Go with the jar if you can. The squeeze bottle brand is okay, but not quite as good.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/15 00:00:00 (permalink)
    quote:

Good to know that I've got company. When I was in college, my favorite snack was Gulden's Mustard on Wheat Thins Crackers. It was great with a beer and when a group of us went to Myrtle Beach one summer, I bought a box of Wheat Thins and a jar of Guldens. My housemates were pretty grossed out, but one by one they all tried it, then went to the Food Lion for a box and jar of their own. By the middle of the week we had to find another grocery store because we'd bought up all of the Gulden's and Wheat Thins in the one closest to us.
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/15 12:37:57 (permalink)
    Hebrew National, a New York "deli-style" mustard, has always been my favorite. It's especially good on grilled Boar's Head natural casing franks, and hot corn beef and cabbage. - Rusty
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/24 00:07:01 (permalink)
    When I was younger I used to get tarragon mustard. It was awesome. I used to put it on mom's meatloaf, and white bread. It was awesome.

Now I like something called Hoboken Eddie's; jalapeno and horseradish mustard. It's OK enough.

Tom
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/24 00:38:21 (permalink)
    I'm a mustard fiend.. my faves are Marie's Honey Mustard , Inglehoffer's Sweet Hot, Hickory Farms Sweet Hot, Gulden's Spicy Brown, and Dill Mustard of unknown brand.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/24 02:42:34 (permalink)
    Tracklements Black, available from[url='http://www.mustardmuseum.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TRK100']Mount Horeb Mustard Museum[/url], is my alltime favorite.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/24 07:33:25 (permalink)
    Pulaski mustard is very good.
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/04/28 10:59:20 (permalink)
    Now, there are times that I want the "cheap" stuff - Plochman's yellow in the squeeze bottle - awesome, the BEST yellow out there! Gulden's brown, okay, a good choice; Pulaski, a nice grainy mustard, good flavor; Frank's mister mustard, spicy, a bit of heat, nice. BUT, for those Brats, and those "blackened" hot dogs (mmmmmm!) try "Bauer's" mustard - has a touch of horseradish in it, but it's a smooth, spicy brownish mustard. It's been around since the 1800's, can be hard to get - here in NY, it's carried at Karl Ehmer meat shops (a GREAT regional source of brats, knocks, etc). Elsewhere, probably your german specialty shops. Try it, you'll probably like it!
    imsofull
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: In search of the perfect mustard... 2005/07/12 21:28:46 (permalink)
    Phillipe's A classic Roadfood location in Los Angeles, sells their own brand of mustard. It is delicious and just the right amount can
    literally bring a tear to your eye!! In other words, it is very spicy.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1