Hot!Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan

Double Cheeseburger
2005/04/16 16:13:35
I remember eating at a "Jack in the Box" over on the East side of the state in the mid 1970's but everbody I talk to, now says that I am crazy, there never been "jack in the box's" in Michigan? Anybody remember "Jack in the Boxes" in Michigan?
DinoS
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/16 17:25:49
I grew up in Michigan. Moved to California1987. I don't remember any 'Jack In The Box' restaurants when I lived there. I lived in Ann Arbor & Western Michigan.

DinoS
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/16 20:10:23
Never seen one in Western Michigan either (or central and eastern for that matter)... First time I ever heard of them was when they had that food poisoning thing on the left coast..

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/16 23:14:38
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

Never seen one in Western Michigan either (or central and eastern for that matter)... First time I ever heard of them was when they had that food poisoning thing on the left coast..

This would of been around 1976 0r 1977 and the "Jack in the Box" was located near Eastern Michigan Uni.
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/17 07:39:48
So.Jersey in the "70's" had Jack in the Box, even in memory the food was mediocore at best but it was right next store to where I was working as a pump jockey so it was very conveniant and teens have castiron stomachs anyway..
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/17 08:06:44
don't remember the food-- but remember the jack in the box.. some sort of strange looking clown that you talked in to to give your order if i'm not mistaken.... can't remember if i remember them in jersey or california... hmmm probably jersey but... i do remember the clown.. scary :)
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/17 08:18:12
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

I remember eating at a "Jack in the Box" over on the East side of the state in the mid 1970's but everbody I talk to, now says that I am crazy, there never been "jack in the box's" in Michigan? Anybody remember "Jack in the Boxes" in Michigan?

Sure - we had a Jack in the Box in Ypsilanti when I moved there in 1967 at least through the early '70s. We considered it kind of low-end and grubby.
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/17 10:42:59
There used to be one just off Woodard around 14 mile road in the Detroit area.
this was in the late 60's and early 70's
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/17 12:17:53
There was a 'Jack' in Poughkeepsie NY in the 70s....
Wistah
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/17 12:27:46
There were defintiely Jack in the Boxes (Jacks in the Box?) in the East side Detroit area....I grew up there and there was one on Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods that I went to many times in the mid 70's....also remeber them in Detroit itself.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/17 13:08:16
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

This would of been around 1976 0r 1977 and the "Jack in the Box" was located near Eastern Michigan Uni.

That was before my time then.. Was living in Ann Arbor in 1984, and never seen one in my travels at that point..
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/21 19:11:45

Yes! Back in 1978: I-75 at the Eureka Road Exit (37) in Taylor, near what used
to be John M. Lawhon's Furniture, now is Gibraltar Trade Center South.
gschwim
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/22 02:27:23
Yes, I used to go to a Jack in the Box in Southfield (a suburb of Detroit), Michigan. Pretty sure it was on Greenfield Road, near either Eleven Mile or Twelve Mile Road, but I'm not sure. I left Michigan (for New York) in 1974, so this would have been in the early '70s.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/04/22 08:26:18

Also, from a Detroit Tigers program from 1978, there was an ad for Jack-In-The-Box, along with coupons for burgers. " />
banjoplayer21
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/05/23 23:29:14
Dude yer not dreaming as far as there being jack in the box in michigan. in the seventy's i ate at three of them, one in orchard lake at 13 mile and orchard lack road, one at michigan ave., and outer drive, and i seem to remember one down river, i was there, i always liked there breakfast sandwhiches!!!
VuduHippy
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/08/11 19:42:38
I know of several former Jack In The Box locations in the Detroit Suburbs! I live less than a mile from one that was located on Schoenherr & 12 Mile Rd, in Warren, that is now a flower shop still using the original Jack In The Box building( they still have the drive thru window!)! There were also Jack In The Box's on 13 Mile & Utica Rd in Roseville, and one on 14 Mile & John R. in Madison Hgts.

John
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/08/11 19:53:15

When they opened a Jbox in Willingboro NJ in 73 (or 74) we chowed down on the greasy deep-fried tacos.. I loved them then and I love them now. 2 for 99cents and whenever we go to SoCal we must have them (kinda like a White Castle Craving)
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/08/11 22:38:07
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

When they opened a Jbox in Willingboro NJ in 73 (or 74) we chowed down on the greasy deep-fried tacos.. I loved them then and I love them now. 2 for 99cents and whenever we go to SoCal we must have them (kinda like a White Castle Craving)

Yes, that's what I remembered too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am from the southwest part of Michigan where we didn't have Jack in the box's. So whenever I got to the east side of Michigan, I made sure I ate at Jack-in-the box's. I think it was 1975 that I spent 3 days in the Ysipsi Area, I ate between 12 and 15 of those Tacos then!
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2005/08/15 21:13:57
They opened a Jack in the Box in Burlington, NJ, just up Rt 130 from Willingboro, maybe in the late 60's. It was high school back then; first time to encounter tacos. We all thought eating the tacos was a cultural adventure.
mandy71285
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/06/03 19:01:13
there use to be a jack in the box in michigan a long time ago before i was ever born my mom and dad said they use to go there. i guess there was a law suit and they closed. i went on vacation to arizona and went to one for the first time and those tacos were HOTT(spicy) but good. I saw a comercial on tv the other day of jack in the box so I thought they were bringing it back but I guess not.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/06/03 19:18:19
quote:
Originally posted by mandy71285

there use to be a jack in the box in michigan a long time ago before i was ever born my mom and dad said they use to go there. i guess there was a law suit and they closed. i went on vacation to arizona and went to one for the first time and those tacos were HOTT(spicy) but good. I saw a comercial on tv the other day of jack in the box so I thought they were bringing it back but I guess not.

The ad You saw is part of their marketing plan, I don't think they are expanding nationwide. Link below will explain:

http://login.vnuemedia.com/mw/news/cabletv/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002611775
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/06/03 20:10:40

I HAVE to add this to my earlier Jack-in-the-Box post... On our recent roadtrip to the Utah/Arizona National Parks we stayed two days in Page AZ while we visited the Lake Powell and surrounding sites. The Days Inn we stayed at was really nice, great Pool, and the breakfast was above average for the freeby-types that are the norm at motels these days. What made this motel stand out in our book was that it had a Jack-in-the-Box right next door. Since I have already proclaimed my loyalty and addiction to the 2 for 99 cent TACOS You will understand why I raved about getting a sack(bag) full for a late supper one evening. Actually Jan got the Taco Salad And we shared ten of the fried Tacos....We did make them a bit special by purchasing 6 avocados (3 for $1) at the local Wally World, and smushing some of the taco sauce into the chopped up avocados and stuffing the results into those greasey little tacos. Man was that good!
Like I have said. I make no claims for or about the quality of the place...BUT like White Castle, Those little sliders are outstanding FAST ROADFOOD!
Ffreeck
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/08/08 20:00:25
At first I noticed this lone sign sitting on the corner of Mack and Chene in Detroit. It said Jack's Coney Island. Then I saw how the Jack in the Box looked and I said that used to be a JAck in the Box restaurant. Also, my father went to school across the street from there. He also said their was a Jack in the Box their. Now their just a vacant lot and a recently vacated store far in the back
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/08/09 10:43:22
Hey Gary.. Thanks for posting that link on the advertising. I was starting to wonder if some popped up around here. Been seeing their commercials on almost a daily basis lately..
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/08/10 00:15:16
those 2 tacos for 99 cents are addictive.
Espesically in a pinch, when I lived out in LA on the way to work.........usually 24 hour drive thrus....

When I visit out there , I always stock up on the "jack balls"; (that would be their car antenna balls)..........99 cents each. I buy about 10 of them, as they do wear out....

the worst marketing concept I saw was a few years back when they decided to put just regular ketchup on their jumbo jacks, instead of their famous Jack sauce!
Fast Eddie27
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/12/13 17:29:38
Originally posted by GordonW

They opened a Jack in the Box in Burlington, NJ, just up Rt 130 from Willingboro, maybe in the late 60's. It was high school back then; first time to encounter tacos. We all thought eating the tacos was a cultural adve
Fast Eddie27
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/12/13 17:34:09
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

They opened a Jack in the Box in Burlington, NJ, just up Rt 130 from Willingboro, maybe in the late 60's. It was high school back then; first time to encounter tacos. We all thought eating the tacos was a cultural adventure.

I was the nightmanger back in the late 70,s in the Burlington store.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2006/12/13 17:56:37

Eddie,
Was there another one in Willingboro on 130 or am I confusing it with your store? We arrived in NJ in 1972 and it wasn't open then..I think it opened a year later? Am I close? I do remember that it was close to the intersection with the Mt Holly Road !
JeannieG
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2008/05/08 18:40:48
Does anyone remember the Jack in the Box in Setauket, LI on Route 25A and Old Town Road? It was there from the 60's to early 70's. I think it's a bank now...They had the best bag of tacos (even the bag would be all greasy:):) Oh, and the Breakfast Jack, with the cheese dripping all over the place!! - yummy:)
newwavemichael
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2008/05/14 22:55:20
jeannie that was actually the last on standing on long island,only it was in port jeff on route 112,they changed to jack's for a bunch of years,they broke away from the franchisee all the ones on the island,centereach,deer park, central islip,etc.same food same prices,the setauket place I think you are referring to was an arby's that turned into an apple bank,the port jeff jack's was there until atleast 96 or 97 then turned into a southern bbq place for a short time.
JeannieG
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2008/05/24 22:24:44
newavemichael - thanks for the info. There was definitely a Jack in the Box in Setauket on Route 25A though. It was across the street from the Pen and Pencil buiding in Setauket. At the time there was also a bar around there called Chesters that was popular back in the '70s. Used to go to that Jack-in-the-Box all the time when I was in high school for those tacos:):)
Bluntfacts
Hamburger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2008/06/03 04:17:56
quote:
Originally posted by Heartburn

There used to be one just off Woodard around 14 mile road in the Detroit area.
this was in the late 60's and early 70's

This is way late, but I think the Jack in the Box location you are thinking off was just east of Woodward Avenue on 13 Mile Road. Basically on the SW corner of 13 Mile and the "Coolidge Highway" in Royal Oak, MI. I went there many times in my teens. Kitty corner was a miniature golf course and driving range.
TenPoundHammer
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2008/06/14 18:10:56
Also way late, but I want to say that the Jack in the Box in Ypsi was open into the 1990s (it's in a phone book I have). Could this have been the last JitB in Michigan?
Motown J
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2009/03/30 13:10:56
Without question, Jack-In-The-Box used to be found in the metro Detroit area.

Back in the late 70's, I used to eat at the one by Paul's Auto Wash @ 13 Mile/Coolidge all the time.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
Re:Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2009/03/30 20:04:04
The JIB in Ypsilanti Mi was lousy, If memory serves it became a Burger Works, they were pretty good, kind of like Fuddruckers,,, but way before there time. I was only 5-6yrs old and even then knew that place stunk! Amazing the locations in NC are pretty decent.
VuduHippy
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2009/04/01 01:03:42
 Anyone know of Jack In The Box returning to Michigan?  I've noticed, as of late, Jack In The Box commercials airing on TV in my area (Metro-Detroit).  Just like Sonic did a few years back and now Michigan got it's first 4 Sonic Drive-In's in the past year!

This was posted on Jack In The Box's wikipedia entry:

"In 2005–2006, Jack in the Box Inc. announced plans for nationwide expansion by 2010. In support of this objective, the chain has begun airing ads in states several hundred miles from the nearest location. This is similar to a strategy that has been used for years by Sonic Drive-In in its national expansion efforts."

John
pinecitrus
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2013/09/27 06:06:03
sure I remember ..I used to eat at the one  at  10 mile  and Kelly( when the  city was called East Detroit ..renamed Eastpointe)..  there was a location at  the corner of 12 mile road and  schoenherr.(Warren) ... and another at the  corner of 13 mile rand  utica  road  (Roseville) ...Loved their food...   bonus jack..  jumbo jack...tacos and the  breakfast  jack (you could order those any time of the day,or late night)  yummy
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2013/09/27 10:25:24
Back in the 70's, before all the franchises in VA closed, I used to swing by the Jack In The Box drive through on J. Clyde Morris Blvd. in Newport News, VA. for a late night snack to take home. Always got the same thing: 1 Super Taco and a large order of onion rings. Greasy fast food that was irresistable after a night of "partying"
WatchTimes
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody Remember Jack in the box's in Michigan 2014/12/11 17:42:52
There was Jack in the Box at 12 mile and Orchard Lake, very close to where the Wendy's sits today.
Jack left Michigan due to a bad food poisoning situation that ruined their business.
I can't recall the years but I was born in 73 and I remember going there a few times when I was really young so I would guess they were gone by 83 if not earlier.
There was also a chain called Victoria Station on Northwestern Hwy just south of 12 mile which was in two old train cars.  Food poisoning from the salad bar lead to their demise.