Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
  • Reward points : 0
Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sat, 03/1/03 11:54 AM
I've promised to stop bugging the Sterns to pay a visit to the Dinosaur, so I'll turn my attention to the rest of you out there!

If you ever find yourself in Central NY, by all means make your way to Syracuse and follow the hickory smoke to some great BBQ (there's a review on this site). I recommend a lunch meal for your first visit. Its less crowded (and less smokey) at lunch. The menu is a little less adventuresome, but the basics are all there and they're all awsome. Ribs, pulled pork, brisket, chicken, smoked turkey,catfish, chili, burgers, BBQ beans, black beans, killer soups, wild specials, smart-ass waitresses...its all there.

Dinner is almost always crowded, but the menu is expanded and the specials are very creative. You can stay for a live blues band nearly every night. They have a second and larger place in Rochester. The food there is great, but the waitresses aren't nearly as much fun.

If you haven't been there yet, check-out their web-site (dinobbq.com) for a better feel (and no, I'm not a paid shill, just a huge fan).If you have been there, what'd ya think?

Well if you'll excuse me, I'm heading there now for my weekly bowl of potato chorizo soup.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sun, 03/2/03 8:45 PM
Best BBQ joint in the Northeast. Period.

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 03/17/03 2:47 PM
I will have to agree that the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse is a great dining experience...........everything they serve is full of flavor and just delish! If you cannot get there, buy their cookbook which has lots of great recipes which will give you outstanding results. I miss not living in Syracuse any longer and one reason is this fun place!

baybey
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Thu, 05/22/03 11:04 AM
Well I was at the Dinosaur yesterday for the first time and I have to say that my platter of ribs, pulled pork and brisket was by far the best Q this East Coast city boy has ever tasted. Anyone who loves Q and can be in or get to Syracuse ought not to miss it.

jadzia
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sun, 10/19/03 11:35 PM
Let's not fail to mention that there's one in Rochester also. I just went there for the first time last month and the food was incredible. However, there was (and from what I hear, always is) a 2 hour wait!!

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 10/20/03 12:16 AM
Let's not fail to mention that there's one in Rochester also. I just went there for the first time last month and the food was incredible. However, there was (and from what I hear, always is) a 2 hour wait!!

Jadzia is correct, there is often a long wait at the rochester Dinosaur BBQ. However, I hear that it has become shorter on many evenings, and I recommend trying lunch on Saturday when there is often no wait if you get there around 12.

Hepcat
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 10/20/03 6:12 PM
Cosmos!
quote:
... but the waitresses aren't nearly as much fun.

Oh?! So just how much fun are these waitresses in Syracuse?

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 10/20/03 10:04 PM
More tats, more attitude, and thats only the lunch crew, I rarely get there at night. Want some fun? give Pat some crap, or tip Gretchen $00.43 as I mistakenly (drunkenly?) did once.

In reality, they are as nice as you want them to be, and they're all good at what they do.

With due respect, I've only been to Rochester once, shortly after the opening, and the waitresses just weren't up for any fun at that time.

Bona
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/10/04 5:19 PM
Stopped at the Dinosaur last week and it was very good and worth getting off the Thru-way (I/S 90). Got the pulled pork and a Rheingold beer and had fun with the waitress trying to figure out the various license plates on the wall. I over tipped and would go back next time driving that way.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/10/04 5:38 PM
Sheesch Cosmos, I just saw your post (2 up from this one) about the Servers having "MORE TATS".. I almost deleted this on appearance alone. Had to read 3 chapters of "A Clean Mind makes for a Clean Forum".... I had already developed a 'sort of' Hooter's Image for the Help there.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/10/04 6:51 PM
I love the Dinosaur. For what it's worth.

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/10/04 7:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

I love the Dinosaur. For what it's worth.

Guess that I am dense. I do not understand what you mean???

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/10/04 8:31 PM
Was in Rochester last week for a conference...in town for two meals -- both at the Dinosaur BBQ -- with two different groups of people, who both loved it. Pork for dinner...brisket for lunch. Sauce for take-home, too.

Also, damn near fell in love with one of the wacky, tat-infested waitresses there.

She wanted me.

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 05/11/04 7:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Sheesch Cosmos, I just saw your post (2 up from this one) about the Servers having "MORE TATS".. I almost deleted this on appearance alone. Had to read 3 chapters of "A Clean Mind makes for a Clean Forum".... I had already developed a 'sort of' Hooter's Image for the Help there.

Sorry...tattoos, and Hooters is definitely the wrong image here, just real folks with real jobs, real clothes, and no goofy uniforms.

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 05/11/04 8:23 AM
Dinosaur is my favorite BBQ in the Northeast. Eat it whenever I'm up that way.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 05/11/04 9:47 AM
A place called "Barnstormer BBQ" in a small rundown mall on Broadway in Newburgh, NY is worth a stop for very good BBQ.

It lacks the fun and ambience of Dinosaur , at least the one we visited in Rochester, but the N Carolina style BBQ is very good. Mrs Seafarer is an old pro at elbowing herself a space at the bar wherever we go - so we waited not at all in a very crowded room at Dinosaur and enjoyed a sandwich at the bar with the bikers and their girls.

And, while we're at it: "Anna's" about twenty blocks east of Barnstormer
on Broadway in Newburgh has a great "Texas Hot" - had two Saturday with my 7 year old Grandson...

albinoni
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 05/11/04 12:26 PM
It's been years since I've been in Syracuse or Rochester--we used to go up to the Finger Lakes every summer and would always end up in one or both towns--I don't think Dinosaur existed then, and finding decent roadfood in the Finger Lakes was, and I assume still is, a challenge. I'll have to come up with a reason to go back up there .

Does anyone know where they are located?

Charlie

DaveM
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 05/11/04 12:38 PM
Fabulous BBQ-worth driving off the highway.
First heard about it when the lead singer of the Nighthawks wore a DinosaurBBQ t-shirt on stage.
They look forward to playing there.
If you haven't read the cookbook, do so-real interesting recipes.
When stopping in Rochester, give Abbott's a try for frozen custard as well.
DaveM

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 05/11/04 2:07 PM
Albinoni: A good excuse to go to the Finger Lakes is the great Rieslings being made up there, and the opportunity to taste more than you will ever want at 30 or more wineries. I specially recommend Herman Wiemer on Seneca Lake, and Constantine Frank on Keuka Lake.

As to eating- the food is better, but still has a long ways to go. There is precious little 'roadfood". Mr Chicken in Watkins Glen is said to be good, but we have never eaten there. In all our years going up there we have never found any hot dogs or hamburger joints - but I suspect we have been missing some good places. They must be there!

Hammondsport has a number of small Mom and Pop type restaurants. Can't recall the name of any of them, but we've had good sandwiches in that town.

The Inn at Glenora Winery has a very good upscale restaurant, as does the Red Newt Winery. Soup and sandwich and a bottle of indifferent wine at the Wagner Winery (they have a brewery also, and I've been told by persons more into beer than I , that it is pretty good) is always fun because of the view and the general ambience. Castle Gritch (sp?) has OK German type dishes served in good weather on a large patio that is very comfortable and has a nice view.

If you want to join an all-day-every-day Frat Party, go to Walter Taylor's Bully Hill Winery where, besides the endless varieties of bad wine you can get a pretty good hamburger.

Most of the wineries have a picnic area where you are welcome to bring your own food, and there are plenty of places to buy the makings of a picnic. Some interesting food items can be found at a couple of Amish groceries in the Lakes area. And, it's not all that far from Rochester and the Dinosaur and the Garbage Plate and other interesting places.

If you go up there on a Fall weekend be sure to get reservations ahead as every motel and Bed n Breakfast fills up early...

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 08/23/04 5:14 PM
Well, a little late but the Dino guys put on a meal at the James Beard House on August 10th. The preamble is available on the James Beard site (www.jamesbeard.org , go to events and click on the calender for August 10).

A couple of inaccuracies (not much jazz at the dino, some, but not much),but a fun read, and cool menu. Dino favs and specialties paired w/ NY wines. Sorry I missed it..

DaveM
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 08/23/04 5:53 PM
Not too late but the Nighthawks are performing at each Dinosaur location, Syracuse first, (8/24) then Rochester.(8/25)
[url][http://www.thenighthawks.com//url]

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sun, 08/13/06 3:50 PM
Finally made it to the Dinosaur in Syracuse last Saturday for lunch. I ordered the Tres Hombre combo, which includes pork, beef brisket and ribs. Everything was very good and I agree this might be the bbq in the Northeast. I especially loved the bbq beans and I think I could have eaten a whole pan of the honey cornbread. And the service could not have been better or more fun. Even one of the owners (I think he introduced himself as Larry) came over and chatted with us for a good five minutes. On the way out, I asked for a take-out menu, since I like to collect them from all the Roadfood places I go. Not only did the hostess get me a menu, they gave me a bag full of goodies, including postcards, bumper stickers and temporary tattoos. I would highly recommend this place to anyone in the area.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 08/15/06 1:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Finally made it to the Dinosaur in Syracuse last Saturday for lunch. I ordered the Tres Hombre combo, which includes pork, beef brisket and ribs. Everything was very good and I agree this might be the bbq in the Northeast. I especially loved the bbq beans and I think I could have eaten a whole pan of the honey cornbread. And the service could not have been better or more fun. Even one of the owners (I think he introduced himself as Larry) came over and chatted with us for a good five minutes. On the way out, I asked for a take-out menu, since I like to collect them from all the Roadfood places I go. Not only did the hostess get me a menu, they gave me a bag full of goodies, including postcards, bumper stickers and temporary tattoos. I would highly recommend this place to anyone in the area.

I used to go there when I lived in Old Forge..
Long drive, but it was a day trip of fun.
But, last year, after craving some of their sauce, I placed an online order.
Got most of what I ordered and then some.
They didnt have the T shirt that I wanted, so they sent every single one of their sauces, and refunded the money back for the T Shirt.
They are good people.
Did they still serve the cornbread cold?
They did when I went there..
Loved the tomato salad!

buffetbuster
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 08/15/06 2:21 PM
Roossy90-
The cornbread sure wasn't warm, so you could call it cold. Despite my mother and all her family being Southerners, I've never been much of a fan of cornbread. But this stuff could make me a convert!

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 08/15/06 6:04 PM
quote:

Roossy90-
The cornbread sure wasn't warm, so you could call it cold. Despite my mother and all her family being Southerners, I've never been much of a fan of cornbread. But this stuff could make me a convert!

Ya never had my cornbread either....

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Wed, 08/16/06 9:53 AM
quote:

I especially loved the bbq beans and I think I could have eaten a whole pan of the honey cornbread.

I always get a side of bbq beans. But also, on occasion they make jumbalaya and for a buck extra you can get it as one of your sides. It's MORE than worth the extra buck. You can order a bowl of it too, but that will leave little room for bbq...so I only get it as a side.

buffetbuster
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Wed, 08/16/06 7:28 PM
Scorereader-
They did offer the Jambalaya as a special the day I was there and the waitress bragged it up, but I got the beans and the fries as my sides. She didn't tell me I could get Jambalaya as a side for an extra dollar. Oh well, what I had was so good, I certainly don't feel as though I was cheated. Next time for sure!

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Fri, 08/18/06 9:11 AM
They have a few secret offerings that only regulars know...I cannot divulge them online for fear of getting flat beer the next time I order...

I think if you ask nicely they'll do just about anything for you, except sushi....

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Fri, 04/27/07 9:03 AM
Thats odd...the BBQ main page shows Lobsterzoom made a post on 4/23/07...but there ain't nuthin' here...must be disappearing ink...

Well, while the topic is up, a group from our office hit the Dino last Friday and we ran into John. We chatted about Harlem a while and he wanted us to experience the new booths recently installed near the stage, (the stage was cut by a third to get two large round booths and three more deuces). We enjoyed our lunch (catfish sandwich for me...)and some pitchers. John was kind to us and sent one over, couldn't turn that down...then some friends sent another. It was beginning to look like a lost afternoon, but we had them pour the last one into a growler to go, and managed to escape back to the office.

They have added some new items to the menu aligning the choices more with the Harlem menu, all good stuff...oh the BBQ Reuben is awsome...BBQ brisket with their slaw, swiss and a special sauce...waaay too good! Goin back today, I can smell my pork carolina now..

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/18/09 10:41 AM
Well, the world class BBQ experts at Good Morning America have proclaimed the Dino as one of the best nationwide. They are going to shoot a segment Wednesday, so maybe I'll mosey down and watch. The segment will air Saturday the 23rd.

"The other three finalists are Cousin's Barbeque in Fort Worth, Texas; Archibald's Barbeque in Northport, Ala.; and Woody's Smoke Shack in Des Moines, Iowa."

Apparently there will an online vote on ABC.com and the winner announced on Sunday the 24th.

I think the deal is bogus, because, of course ...what does Good Morning America know? That said, I think its great that a Syracuse born institution is getting some recognition. You all know I'm a fan and, I'm just happy to get decent que in Central NY...Is it the best in the nation? Probably not, but I think its great... Kudos to the Dino and Syracuse.

Go SU Lacrosse!!!
<message edited by Cosmos on Mon, 05/18/09 10:43 AM>

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/18/09 1:51 PM
hey Cosmos...there is a very good chance Dino may be opening up another location..here in Troy, NY. If so, the competition will be rough as we already have some great places in Capital Q and Pig Pit.
Competition is good, as it will keep all the great places on their toes. Hopefully, Dino won't put them out of business...just by the sheer size of the venue.

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/18/09 1:59 PM
I noted that on another thread...My brother-in-law said they were supposedly looking at someplace on the river...If John is in town Wednesday, I'll try to ask him..

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/18/09 3:02 PM
It certainly helped the Dino getting recognition when they opened up a spot in NYC. But,  no matter how they got recognized, CNY is continually on the losing end of the stick, so it's good to see some good news about a CNY business. 

I'm definately hitting up the Dino the first week of July when I visit the 'cuse. My Syracuse must do's: 1. Dinosaur BBQ, 2. Heid's, 3. Columbus Bakery, 4. Aunt Josie's, and 5. a lobster and some salt potatoes "to go" from Hinerwadel's. Thankfully, I'll have a week to get this done. Oh, and I want to tour Middle Ages Brewing! I have never done that. Oh! and a roast beef sandwich from Clark's Ale House.

Cosmos
RE: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Thu, 05/21/09 11:36 AM
Scorereader, that's a great itinerary. I am looking forward to moving back to Syracuse, so I can drop in on places like that when ever I want.

Any ways...keep your eyes peeled on Good Morning America for the piece on the Dino this weekend. I think they are showing the three 'finalists' and then having an on-line vote for the best BBQ place with the results shown Sunday. Its really just a popularity contest, but I think its great the Dino and Syracuse get a little exposure.

jonjax71
  • Total Posts : 435
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Fri, 05/22/09 12:56 AM
I've been to Rochester a few times since the 1990s and go to the Dinosaur once or twice during each visit, always tasty and always a great ambience with plenty of adult beverages and happy people

The first time I dined there I was pleasantly surprised to see, order and consume a delicious BBQ Cuban sandwich, a most novel idea.

Cosmos
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sat, 05/23/09 10:04 AM
Well I missed the GMA segment, but heres the weblink to the story:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/story?id=7658898&page=1

I clicked the vote link and voted for the hometown favorite. Of course I would love to have tried the others too.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3660
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sat, 05/23/09 10:28 AM
Thanks for the weblink.  It was fun to watch.

Go Dinosaur  and Go Syracuse Lacrosse!

Cosmos
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sun, 05/24/09 11:12 AM
Well Dino wins the popularity contest!!
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/dinosaur_patrons_gather_downto.html

Now go SU Lacrosse!...or Cornell Lacrosse!!

Go Cortland State Lacrosse!

Go LeMoyne Lacrosse!!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sun, 05/24/09 11:39 AM
Jeeez! How do think all that makes me in Texas feel?

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Sun, 05/24/09 12:12 PM
I think that the answer is, everyone should start going to as many barbeque restaurants as he/she can, to verify the validity of these results.

Cosmos
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Mon, 05/25/09 11:48 AM
Twinwillow

Jeeez! How do think all that makes me in Texas feel?

About BBQ...or Lacrosse? If Texas has a lacrosse team, you should feel bad because CNY (and apparently Long Island..sigh...) is ruling the lacrosse world...

As far as BBQ..feel fine about yourself, apparently there aren't many GMA watchers in Texas, otherwise I'm sure there would have been a lot of Texas 'que nominations. This really isn't about the Dino having the best 'que in the nation...

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Tue, 05/26/09 9:56 AM
I was very excited to see Dinosaur on there and I'm glad Syracuse is getting some national exposure.  I hope it encourages people to pass through CNY and stop in for a bit.  Dinosaur has no problem filling the restaurant up and It seemed like John was taking the honor in stride.  He didn't puff his chest up or brag about it.  He knows they've got great 'que.  "Best" is such a subjective term and it really is in the eye (or tastebuds) of the beholder! 

Does anyone know how many BBQ places the correspondent actually went to.  Did he go to KC, Memphis or the Carolinas?  It seemed like it was mostly about ribs and while I do enjoy them, barbeque is about so much more than that.  Maybe they should have called it "Best Ribs in America".

wmceaton
  • Total Posts : 313
Re:Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY - Fri, 06/12/09 6:05 PM
I'm eating there on Monday for a late lunch on my way to North East, PA.