Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed

Rex
  • Total Posts : 109
  • Reward points : 0
Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Wed, 04/20/05 3:36 PM
Hi all....been many moons since I have visited last time but I know where to come when I need a recipe.

I am looking for a recipe that I grew up with many years ago that is common in the south. It is referred to as Chicken Pie and can be bought once a year when the churches have their bake sales and bazaars.

But my problem is that all the recipes that I can find are for "Chicken Pot Pie"...which is not what I am looking for. The recipe I want is sans the veggies. Just the chicken.

Even though I know the recipe is only chicken, what I do not know is how much broth to add to the pie during the baking and how to season it.

If anyone knows the type of Chicken Pie I am talking about....please, it would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Wed, 04/20/05 4:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rex

Hi all....been many moons since I have visited last time but I know where to come when I need a recipe.

I am looking for a recipe that I grew up with many years ago that is common in the south. It is referred to as Chicken Pie and can be bought once a year when the churches have their bake sales and bazaars.

But my problem is that all the recipes that I can find are for "Chicken Pot Pie"...which is not what I am looking for. The recipe I want is sans the veggies. Just the chicken.

Even though I know the recipe is only chicken, what I do not know is how much broth to add to the pie during the baking and how to season it.

If anyone knows the type of Chicken Pie I am talking about....please, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few: Try Googling Southeren Chicken Pie

Bob Ann's Chicken Pie
1 large chicken, boiled and deboned
2 quarts chicken broth
1 to 1-1/2 sticks butter
1 pint milk or half and half
3 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 egg
extra milk
Place deboned chicken in large baking dish or pan. Mix flour, salt, 1/2 stick butter, shortening and egg and enough milk to make a soft pliable dough. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Roll out two parts on floured surface until paper thin. Cut into squares (you can use a pizza cutter or knife) and drop dumplings into boiling broth, one by one. Boil until tender, shaking the pan every now and again to separate the dumplings. Boil until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add half and half or milk, salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture over meat in baking pan or dish. Roll out third part of dough into crust to cover chicken pie. You can completely cover with one large crust, or you can cover with strips of the dough. Brush with butter and bake at 375 degrees until brown. Serves 8 to 10.

Southern Chicken Pie
1 medium chicken or 4 chicken breast halves, boned
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and pepper, to taste
2 hard-boiled eggs
diced pimiento
butter
Crust:
1 cup flour
4 tablespoons shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold water
Cover chicken with boiling water. Cover; simmer until very tender. Cool chicken in liquid. Remove skin and bones. Thicken liquid with flour and season with salt and pepper. Place chicken in a baking dish; add cut-up eggs and pimientos. Cover with thickened broth.
Crust: Sift flour with salt; cut in shortening. Add water a little at a time; toss lightly with a fork. Roll out; place on top of the chicken mixture. Cut vents to allow steam to escape. Bake at 350 degrees 30 to 45 minutes or until brown.

Jean's Southern Chicken Pie

created by Jean Vik, 1996
Pastry for 10" 2-crust pie:

3 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
9 tablespoons shortening
1 cup to 1 1/4 cups milk
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles cornmeal. Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in 3/4 cup milk. Mix lightly and quickly with fork. Add more milk, just enough to make dough moist enough to leave the sides of the bowl and to cling to the fork in a ball.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently 6 or 8 times. Divide into two sections (one a little larger than the other.) Lightly roll the largest ball from center in all directions, lifting rolling pin at edges. Roll 1/8" to 1/4". Line 10-inch pie pan. Roll the smaller ball in the same fashion and place on top of filling.

Chicken Filling:

2 1/2 lb. chicken breast
1 carrot shredded
5 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 celery stalk, diced
Combine chicken pieces, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, shredded carrot and diced celery in kettle. Cover and simmer until tender (about 1 hour). Drain and reserve broth. Cool chicken and cut into bite-sized chunks.

1 cup sliced celery
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 can peas and carrots
1 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Cook sliced celery in small amount of water just until tender. Add drained peas and carrots and heat through. Drain.

Blend together flour and evaporated milk. Combine in saucepan with 2 1/2 cups chicken broth. Add 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in vegetables, chicken and 1/2 cup cheese.

Pour mixture in pie crust and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place top crust gently over filling and crimp sides shut. Pierce top with fork to allow steam to escape.

Bake in very hot oven (450 degrees F.) 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Rex
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Wed, 04/20/05 6:05 PM
Yes I have seen these on the net (have googled many different variations to get what I want and all of them include veggies, which I don't want...because that is essentially a chicken pot pie...whereas I just want the plain chicken pie. I hestitate to do a milk/cream liquid filling because of the fact there will be no veggies and regular chicken pies don't have a cream/milk filling anyway. It almost borders on a dryness of sorts.

I appreciate the help....but that is why I came here because I could not find anything on google. And that was with me searching under topics such as: southern chicken pie, old fashioned southern chicken pie, grandma's chicken pie, chicken pie, etc etc...with no results.

This one won't be easy unless someone here knows exactly what I am talking about and knows how to make one.....lol

brightcopperkettles
  • Total Posts : 200
RE: Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Sat, 06/18/05 3:29 PM
I think I have what you are looking for. I clipped this recipe from my hometown newspaper (in Chester, SC) back in the 1970s. It assumes you know how to cook and "guess-ti-mate," but the result is true Southern (vegetable-less) chicken pie. ENJOY!

SOUTHERN CHICKEN PIE

Cook a large fryer until well done. Take skin and bones off and put chicken into broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 stick oleo and add enough water to make a real juicy pie.

To make dough for pie crust, take flour (I use plain), salt, shortening, and just enough water to mix well.

Knead and take enough dough to roll out real thin, cut in strips, and place in hot boiling broth and chicken. Put as many as you like but don't make too dry. Spray Pam nonstick spray, or grease, a large baking dish. After your strips have cooked a few minutes with lid on, pour into baking dish. Roll out dough to cover the complete top. Cut a stick of oleo over the top, put in stove on 400 degrees, and cook until golden brown.

Sassi
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Mon, 11/18/13 12:15 PM
Hi Rex. Here is the Southern Chicken Pie recipe you need: Go to Food Network and 
and Trisha Yearwood has a wonderful Southern Chicken Pie Recipe.
I have only been a member for 1 day so  can not post any Links or URLs as of yet.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

I use Pillsbury Pie Crust and add a little more spices....have fun with the recipe

<message edited by Sassi on Mon, 11/18/13 12:20 PM>

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Thu, 11/21/13 6:05 PM
Sorry I couldn't get here any sooner. It has been almost 9 years. If you don't make this, I will. Sounds great!
http://www.foodnetwork.co...-pie-recipe/index.html

JB-ME
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Thu, 11/21/13 10:59 PM
The Trisha Yearwood recipe is similar to one I found somewhere years ago. It is an excellent recipe, and I loved the crust so much I doubled it. It is also an easy meal to prepare and a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey.

Chicken Pie
Makes 6 servings.

Filling:
4 c bite-size pieces cooked chicken
1 can (10.75 oz) cream of chicken soup
1 can (10.75 oz) condensed chicken broth
1/2 t dried tarragon or other herbs (sage, poultry seasoning, etc.)
16 oz frozen mixed vegetables, cooked or at least thawed and drained (can be omitted or others substituted/added--like onion, celery, and green pepper

Crust:
1.5 c flour
2 t baking powder
1.5 c buttermilk (or--in a measuring cup--put 1.5 T of vinegar + milk to make the 1.5 cups)
1/2 c butter, melted

Heat oven to 350'F.  
Mix soup, broth, herbs, and chicken and place in lightly greased 9x13 pan. 
Arrange vegetables over top. 
Mix flour and baking powder in bowl; add buttermilk and butter. 
Stir to form a thin dough; pour evenly over chicken mixture. 
Bake uncovered about one hour until crust rises to top and browns lightly. 

Note:  I doubled the original topping amount, and I think I also added the vegetables to the original recipe.
My abbreviations:
t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
1.5 = one and one-half

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:Old Fashioned Southern Chicken Pie Recipe Needed - Fri, 11/22/13 7:06 AM
I think what the OP was seeking is the Moravian Chicken Pie - that's what the churches sell in this area during the holidays.

Moravian Chicken Pie

pastry

2 cups flour 1 t. salt 3/4 c. Crisco 6 to 8 TB cold water or 2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts, bring to room temperature

filling

3 cups cooked, chopped chicken (breasts and thighs, or whole chicken) 1/4 c flour 1 1/4 cups chicken broth with added Better Than Bouillon salt and pepper dash of poultry seasoning Put one crust in a deep foil pie pan. Mix chicken, flour, broth, s&p, and poultry seasoning in a large bowl. Pour into pastry lined pie shell. Cover with the second piecrust. Pinch edges together to seal and flute decoratively. Bake at 375-400 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Serve hot. Can freeze before baking, then bake at 400 for 1 to 1 1/2hrs. My sister says they need to have a pastry cut-out of a chicken in the center of the top crust. To freeze: double wrap very well in Saran plastic wrap, then wrap again in heavy-duty foil or put in a large freezer zip bag.