I eat it with grape jelly.

Doug

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Scrapple? - Fri, 09/17/04 5:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cole-Lamasney

So is scrapple supposed to be sweet (with syrup) or savory (salt)? I think the same debate goes for matzo brei, with different folks taking different approaches to same. Inquiring minds want to know.

Lori
(who plunks for savory in both cases)

Guess it depends on your taste...........to me it is supposed to be savory, like a breakfast meat

j_dishler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Scrapple? - Sun, 10/30/05 8:24 PM
Has anyone ever had a Pennsylvannia dish of rocky mountain oysters, I like them but canot find them around. Can anybody help!!

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1504
RE: Scrapple? - Sun, 10/30/05 9:14 PM
Scrapple needs no accompaniment.

If anything, the eggs accompany it. I too prefer the savory, as witnessed by my penchant to put only a bit of salt on my potato latkes. Curious though, my sister, who grew up eating the same latkes, always likes apple sauce on hers.

Now, the fusion of scrapple and potato latkes...that might work, perhaps with a couple of eggs up. Oh, the possibilities are daunting...

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Scrapple? - Sun, 10/30/05 11:50 PM
never had scrapple, although it sounds as if i'd like it.

what is pork roll? i had it in a diner in central nj one day, and it wasn't half bad. the pork roll, not jersey, which is mostly bad.

bill from ny

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 12:08 AM
Here's a pretty good discussion of pork roll:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7120

Phishmonger
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 8:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cole-Lamasney

So is scrapple supposed to be sweet (with syrup) or savory (salt)? I think the same debate goes for matzo brei, with different folks taking different approaches to same. Inquiring minds want to know.

Lori
(who plunks for savory in both cases)

Ahh....this thread reminds me of my dear departed Uncle Bill, a native of Philadelphia, who introduced me (in CT's Quiet Corner) to Scrapple, lo those many years ago. Never thought much about what was in it, but always liked it....for breakfast, with eggs.....and ALWAYS WITH MAPLE SYRUP. Haven't had it in years, so I guess today, the area search will begin to find that long lost taste. (I already have the maple syrup).

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 8:42 AM
For those not familiar with scrapple, here's a picture. It's the loaf in the front, next to the rolls of liver pudding.

Heartburn
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 8:49 AM
You can purchase Habbersett's Scrapple in Florida at the Publix stores, in the frozen food section
Sagud

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 11:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

If anything, the eggs accompany it. I too prefer the savory, as witnessed by my penchant to put only a bit of salt on my potato latkes. Curious though, my sister, who grew up eating the same latkes, always likes apple sauce on hers.

Now, the fusion of scrapple and potato latkes...that might work, perhaps with a couple of eggs up. Oh, the possibilities are daunting...

I prefer sour cream on my latkes, with applesauce on the side.

laststandchili
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 3:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

Oh yeah...I forgot to put this in my previous post. Pig stomach: We called it hog maw and was our traditional Easter supper. It was stuffed with sausage and potatoes and slow-baked in the oven. I still remember my mom and grandma sewing up the hog maw like surgeons.

AND...

In Bridgeville, DE they have an annual Apple-Scrapple Festival (Bridgeville is the home of Rapa Scrapple). It is set for October 10-11 this year.

Meowzart
And when in Bridgeville don't miss the Bridgeville diner. Enjoy the food. Sit with your back to the dining counter, and kitchen area. Do not pay to much attention to the personal hygeine of waitstaff.

Vayo con Queso

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 5:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

I prefer sour cream on my latkes, with applesauce on the side.

recently, effete eastern snob (haven't heard that in a while, have you?) that i am, i've found that latkes made with leek julienne, celeriac julienne, a little fresh thyme, a little grated nutmeg, fried in clarified butter and topped with a nice fresh goat cheese into which some good white truffle oil has been whipped, the whole thing topped with chopped chives, is a ... what does Martha call it? ... a GOOD THING.

also good with some sour cream and smoked salmon. but then again, what isn't?

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1504
RE: Scrapple? - Mon, 10/31/05 6:00 PM
Scalion,
Those sound like some latkes. Ooh boy. Hold the sour cream and salmon, though. Of course I couldn't make 'em.

Since my Mom's gone, the best latkes I can find are at Tania's, Grove Street, Jersey City. A superb Polish restaurant.

But, back to your latkes, how 'bout an appetizer of fried, sliced kielbasi bruschetta on butter-drenched ciabatta? It might be in order, n'est pas?

But hey...what happened to the scrapple? I wanted to eat it with my Kasha Fried Rice Medley.

Marc4022
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Scrapple? - Tue, 11/1/05 11:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Most of us are really lucky that we will never run across any PETA people in the BBQ joints we like to frequent - Let's drink a toast to that !

Good point. We still have to run across them out in the street !!!

I brake for animals! But I accelerate for PETA lunatics!

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Scrapple? - Tue, 11/1/05 4:58 PM
Scrapple is now available in our local Shop Rite supermarket. It is hidden in a tiny display on a shelf over the bacon - I've been pigging out onthe stuff since i discovered it in shop rite.

Cheers, John

dogmeat
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Scrapple? - Fri, 02/10/06 11:27 AM
I've often thought that many foods fell "into the "where you were raised" and the "acquired taste catagory", scrapple being one of them for me. My relatives from Delaware first introduced breakfast scrapple that I remember, and it was one of those foods that just didin't make it on my list. They thought our Florida boiled peanuts were nauseating!

Personally I would rather tackle "The Beaver" than the early/original scrapple receipe but that's what make us all unique.

RubyRose, that picture sorta says it all.

This forum is fantastic, two receipes for scrapple that I will try! Please let me say how much I appreciate the opportunity to laugh and learn at the same time via Roadfood.com, THANKS!!!

don-o
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Scrapple? - Tue, 02/21/06 9:08 PM

By the way, this works equally well with raccoon.

I have seen a similar recipe for possum; excrpt you bake it on a plank. After it is done, discard possum and eat p;ank.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: Scrapple? - Tue, 02/21/06 9:24 PM

I am just finishing rereading the Ambrose book on Lewis and Clark, getting ready for our May Roadtrip following parts of their journey. Anyway I was again made aware that the most prized meat they could consume on the trail was Beaver-Tail fried in Bear grease.
Sound good to me...now to find one to try.

Bigmagoo
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Scrapple? - Fri, 04/27/07 6:02 PM
I'm from Virginia, and while it is not unheard of here, it was not common to my experience. On motorcycle trips north I have come to love the smell of scrapple in the morning....hmmmmmmm... smells like, like breakfast.

The Lincoln Diner in Gettysburg, and the Eagle Diner in Newark Delaware are 2 great spots.

One of my biker buds is fond of telling waitresses that I'm a World Class Scrapple Sculptor. Tells them I specialize in banquet size pieces and once did the centerpiece at a White House reception for a Samoan dignitary. Once they are hooked he goes on to explain that i learned my craft in prison. Needless to say I feel somewhat obligated to over tip, especially if she spills coffee in his lap once he lets on he's joshing.

db1105
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Scrapple? - Sat, 04/28/07 7:50 PM
You all missed the Scrapple Festival at the Reading Terminal in Philadelphia last week. It was like a trip to heaven.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9579
RE: Scrapple? - Sun, 04/29/07 1:21 AM
I migrated from PA to Phoenix. Thought I'd never see scrapple again. Spotted it in one of the chain stores out here. It was either Fry's, Bashas, Albertsons or Safeway. Can't remember which. I'm on a quest tomorrow AM to find some!

Foodbme
RE: Scrapple? - Sun, 04/29/07 1:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

I’ve never made this before but it’s from one of Edna Eby Heller’s books and she usually has the PA Dutch cooking down pat.

SCRAPPLE

3 lbs. spareribs
2 14-ounce cans beef broth (3 1/ 2 cups)
1 tsp. salt
1/ 8 tsp. black pepper
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped very fine
1 tsp. parsley flakes
2 bay leaves
2 cups water
2 1/ 2 cups corn meal
flour
shortening

Cook spareribs in beef broth in which salt, pepper, onion, parsley and bay leaves have been added. Simmer for 2 1/ 2 hours/ Remove meat and bones from broth and strain broth. Put broth in large pot. Cut meat from bone and gristle. Put meat through food chopper. Return to broth and bring to a boil.

Slowly add water to corn meal while stirring. Add some of the hot broth too. Pour corn meal mixture into boiling broth and cook until very thick (about 10 minutes). Pour into 2 loaf pans, 9X5X3 inches. Chill.

When cold, cut into 1/ 2 inch slices and coat with flour before frying. Fry in very little shortening until outside is very brown and crisp.

Never heard of making scrapple using spareribs. That's way too upscale. Scrapple is made with pig inards and organ meat. That's why it tastes soo good!

IRISHJOJO
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Scrapple? - Sat, 05/12/07 10:59 PM
Would appreciate finding some Scrapple brands. The Safeway only carries RAPPA and am not crazy about it. The manager asked me to give him some brand names, and all I could think of was PHILADELPHIA Scrapple..(is that correct? Others??)
Thanks.
Old PA gal here.

Foodbme
RE: Scrapple? - Sun, 05/13/07 1:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by IRISHJOJO

Would appreciate finding some Scrapple brands. The Safeway only carries RAPPA and am not crazy about it. The manager asked me to give him some brand names, and all I could think of was PHILADELPHIA Scrapple..(is that correct? Others??)
Thanks.
Old PA gal here.

You might want to contact the Reading Terminal Market and get the names of the competitors in the Scrapplefest. See Below
Scrapplefest! at Reading Terminal Market
04/21/2007-04/21/2007
Philadelphia - Love it or hate it, scrapple is the quintessential Pennyslvania breakfast treat. Celebrate all things scrapple at SCRAPPLEFEST! presented by Hatfield Quality Meats at Reading Terminal Market on Saturday, April 21st from 10am to 4pm. Local scrapple brands will sample their products, chefs will prepare an assortment of scrapple dishes, and a panel of local celebrities including Rick Nichols of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Michelle Shannon with Center City District, Jeff Guaracino of GPTMC, Krista Bard of Bard Associates and a Hatfield Quality Meats representative will judge the best scrapple dish in Reading Terminal Market. The festivities will include: Scrapple cooking demonstrations with local chefs; scrapple sculptures; scrapple samplings; celebrity scrapple tastings; photos with mascots; mummers string band; children's activities and much, much more! April 21, 2007 10am to 4pm at Reading Terminal Market 12th & Arch Streets, Philadelphia. www.readingterminalmarket.org

GCD1962
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Scrapple? - Sun, 05/13/07 9:17 PM
Try Arnolds Meats http://arnolds-sausage.com The scrapple they make is quite good

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 85 of 85