French fries with gravy?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Junior Burger
2005/04/26 00:44:17
Does anyone else remember French fries with gravy? They were served at a little diner in Cleveland, Ohio, where I was going to art school in the early '60s. For 50 cents you got a big oval china platter of skinny fries doused with strictly commercial beef gravy. But it was delicious, and if you closed your eyes you could swear you were eating meatloaf.
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/26 12:13:09
French Fries with gravy have been a favorite here in Baltimore for as long as I can remember and are still on the menu at lots of places.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/26 12:40:16
My husband always gets a side of gravy with his fries when he can (obviously not a FF joints).
dreamzpainter
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/26 13:15:32
Brown (beef)gravey does something to frenchfries that make your tastebuds sing... it's kinda like chicken gravey and biscuts.... I keep a bottle of malt vinager for when Im wanting Pa style fries and A1 steak sauce on fries...ooooooh MY!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/26 14:05:34
Lavanda
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/26 22:44:43
I enjoy Chicken fried steak here in TX. When you get fries with it, order white (cream) gravy over the fries and squirt them with catsup too. One of the few times I eat ctsup.

Now, if the CFS comes with mashed taters, get brown gravy oer it all *neat abd taters!(
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/29 03:24:24
Loved french fries with gravy when I had them in Baltimore. Had to eat them in homage to Diner, one of the great movies of all time.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/29 03:47:40
Here in Northern West Virginia, its odd for a menu to NOT offer fries and gravy. I know i've been eating that combo for at least the past 30 years. Good stuff.
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/29 14:54:50
Quite a lot of chip shops here do chips and gravy it does tend to be a bit more of a nothern thing though. I tend to like making my own gravy as its very hit and miss as to what quality gravy you get in the chip shops. I like mine pretty thick but without being too dark and salty. And I prefer it seperately to dip the chips in rather than have it poured over.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/29 15:22:58
MissKitty-what is a 'chip shop'? Is it a small specialty shop that only serves what we know over here as french fries?
Off topic, but if you don't mind my asking - are you an American living in England or a British native who likes REALLY LONG roadfood trips? Just curious....
txtwister
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/29 17:40:27
Yum. Fries with gravy were a staple at all of the diners I remember in CT. This brings me back to 1989, my best friend, and our three-in-the-morning diner fix of eggs, bacon, toast, and a side of gravy fries. (How did we ever eat like that and stay so skinny????)
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/04/30 13:42:42
Chip shop is short for fish and chip shop, also known as " the chippy " or " the chipper " ( the latter esp used in Ireland ). So really its specality is fish and chips - proper Brit chips are usually thicker than french fries ( although I have seen pictures here on Roadfood of some fries that would not look out of place at all in a decent Brit chippy ! ) and usually cut fresh from real potatoes, altho some places like cheap caffs and pubs will use frozen made from re-constituted spuds

Its just easier to say chip shop, lol. They dont just sell fish and chips, they also usually sell things like all kinds of pies, sausages, saveloys, all manner of things in batter and sides like pickled onions, wallys ( gherkins ie huge pickles similar to dill pickles but not as good ) various battered veggies, curry sauce, gravy and of course peas inc the famous " mushy ".

Salustra, I am British and living in the UK but I have visited the US a couple of times, my boyfriend is from, and living in, North Carolina, one of my exes was from San Diego and I do have a fair amount of US friends both irl and online If I had the money to travel, I could prolly eat my way from state to state visiting all those dear people I have not yet met
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 10:59:33
Thanks for the info MissKitty! I'm learning all kinds of interesting stuff from the friendly people on this site not to mention accumulating quite a list of "gotta go there someday"...
signman
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 11:29:01
Those attending the Philly Roadfood Tour dined on FF w/gravy at Nick's Roast Beef. Only this was the real deal, not just brown gravy. At Nicks the gravy is the juice and drippings from the beef and there are pieces of meat or burnt ends in the gravy.
Delicious. Except the fries looked better than they tasted.
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 13:16:22
I do love both kinds of gravy, or rather that should be the three main types. Firstly the " jus " type with the meat or poultry drippings with no or very few additions, then theres the homemade kind ie gravy No. 1 thickened and a bit of extra flavouring like herbs, onions, wine, beer etc, and lastly but not least, yer bog standard packet or premade gravy ... which can be horrible or totally delicious, its totally fate that decides this
hatteras04
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 13:32:41
I cannot remember the name of the place but after a good night of drinking in Erie, PA those of us that could still stand went to an all night place and had meatball omlettes and gravy fries on the side. I remember them as being fabulous but then again after a night in the bars of Erie, everything tasted better.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 14:05:38
quote:
Originally posted by MissKitty

Chip shop is short for fish and chip shop, also known as " the chippy " or " the chipper " ( the latter esp used in Ireland ). So really its specality is fish and chips - proper Brit chips are usually thicker than french fries ( although I have seen pictures here on Roadfood of some fries that would not look out of place at all in a decent Brit chippy ! ) and usually cut fresh from real potatoes, altho some places like cheap caffs and pubs will use frozen made from re-constituted spuds

Its just easier to say chip shop, lol. They dont just sell fish and chips, they also usually sell things like all kinds of pies, sausages, saveloys, all manner of things in batter and sides like pickled onions, wallys ( gherkins ie huge pickles similar to dill pickles but not as good ) various battered veggies, curry sauce, gravy and of course peas inc the famous " mushy ".

Salustra, I am British and living in the UK but I have visited the US a couple of times, my boyfriend is from, and living in, North Carolina, one of my exes was from San Diego and I do have a fair amount of US friends both irl and online If I had the money to travel, I could prolly eat my way from state to state visiting all those dear people I have not yet met
Okay MissKitty, I'm curious. Two trips to UK and having read a few contemporary Irish novels have taught me what a chipper is, and I know the difference between an ashcan and a loo (do Brits still like to ask unsuspecting Yanks that joke?), but what are saveloys?
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 15:39:52
Its a kind of cheap sausage Mark as in link sausage rather than bulk sausage. Its pretty salty and smoked and invariably mass produced these days. It comes in a scary looking bright red skin -http://www.snowbirdfoods.co.uk/products.htm

although sometimes is served battered. They are a working class food dating back at least hundred and fifty years, and suffer from a slightly seedy joke image, possibly never having recovered from their reputation in Victorian times when food adulteration was rife and most sausages were suspect. I would hesitate to liken it to frankfurters but I suppose they are a kind of distant cousin

They certainlt ain't gourmet food, and they are somewhat of an acquired taste - sometimes though when under the effects of ale, a few mouthfuls of cheap smoked meat are strangely satisfying, which is a sensation I believe is international
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 16:07:44
Several years ago, after a day of walleye fishing on Lake Erie, a friend and I were having dinner at the marina's restaurant. They had a liver and onion special, so we ordered it. When the waitress brought our food she apologized, saying they'd run out of mashed potatoes so they put French fries on the plate with gravy. We ate the liver and onions. The goopy French fries remained untouched.
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 16:49:34
Heh. Would they have been more edible if the fries and gravy had been served seperately, or is that just a combo that makes you feel anyhow ?
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 17:48:30
Fries and gravy is pretty common where I come from in Western NY. My best friend ordered them all the time.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 21:18:01

Fries and gravy are popular in Canada too!
Back in the vacation days in Windsor, a trip to K-Mart for homestyle fish
and chips with a side of brown gravy!
Grillmeister
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/02 22:20:19
You mean poutine? I learned about that right here on Roadfood! The cheese curds sound a bit scary though. Here in Texas it's chili on the fries....sort of a regional one-upmanship in the cardio department!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/03 00:24:45
quote:

Heh. Would they have been more edible if the fries and gravy had been served seperately, or is that just a combo that makes you feel anyhow ?

It's the idea of putting gravy on French fries.
Disgusting, to say the least.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/03 06:09:25
I had poutine in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec. I had never had them that way before but in my opinion, I liked them.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jellybear
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/03 07:59:34
Can you say Hot Roast Beef Sandwich smothered with Fries and Gravy?Maybe a Roast Pork?or how about a Hot Turkey Sandwich?Yum.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/03 09:27:53

Grillmeister, this was just the beef gravy by itself without the cheese curds.
I don't know if poutine is popular in southern Ontario as it is in points further north.
But Jellybear's pairings sound good right now! (although I'll have to wait a few more hours for lunchtime! )
luv
Junior Burger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/05/07 00:48:11
we have a few little dives here- same place, same name, just 2 locations, where they have fries with brown gravy. with a little salt and lots of pepper, they're delish. i luv 'em!!!!
mabk34
Junior Burger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/06/30 16:26:31
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Also found here in Cincinnati.

One such example: http://archive.cinweekly.com/content/2004/07/21/0721twofor20_pleasantridgec.asp

You beat me to raving about PRC.

Best with extra onions, and after midnight.

Those fries are the only thing I'll eat with gravy!
bluetick
Junior Burger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/07/06 23:10:53
Jack Pirtle's Fried Chicken in Memphis serves some decent crinkle cut (presumably frozen) fries. They also make a good biscuit and some very tasty gravy. Whenever I order a chicken dinner pack them, I split the gravy between the fries and the biscuits. Godd stuff!

Off topic, but they also offer this weird yet savory little steak sandwhich that is unbelievably delicious. The bread is invariably fresh, the meat has a nice peppery flavor, and it is topped with slaw and that yummy gravy.
ken8038
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/07/29 18:59:34
For some resaon, in my area of New Jersey (North Central/Union County/etc) French Fries with gravy are universally called "Disco Fries". I wonder how widepread that term is or where it came from (I don't ever recall having French Fries in a Disco). I don't think I've seen that term anywhere outside of this area of New Jersey.

For what it's worth, the best Disco Fries I've ever had are at the Scotchwood diner on Rt 22 in Scotch Plains. ---Ken
bcory
Hamburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 13:53:54
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

It's the idea of putting gravy on French fries.
Disgusting, to say the least.

Your should try some Poutine we have up here in Quebec. Fries, fresh white cheadder cheese curds with gravy all pored on top to melt the curds!

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mitchell25418
Hamburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 14:10:19
Tried something different this past weekend - well done steak fries with melted white cheddar, dipped in curry sauce - mmmmmm!Good!
shen
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 14:28:56
LOVE gravy fries...growing up in CT after a night of drinking with friends we would always stop for an order or 2 at a diner. MEMORIES
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 14:31:46
I love fries and brown gravy! I get skeptical looks when I order a side of brown gravy in my neck of the woods but it's so worth it. In Canada, they offer gravy and vinegar as condiments in McDonald's. These condiments are more common than catsup on fries.

I have to agree with the previous posters that Poutine is a MUST when in Canada. Don't let the word "curd" fool you. Cheese curds are delicious. Once you try them, you'll be hooked.
xannie_01
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 16:02:14
french fries dipped in cream gravy from the DQ...comfort food heaven for women with PMS
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 16:24:16
I enjoyed poutine in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. It was a unique taste experience.

Somehow their fries are different???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 16:45:46
quote:
Originally posted by bcory

Your should try some Poutine we have up here in Quebec. Fries, fresh white cheadder cheese curds with gravy all pored on top to melt the curds!

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This truly is a treat! Sadly, my trips to Quebec and other parts of Canada where I have had this wonderful dish are too infrequent...and finding cheese curd is next to impossible. Rats!

trudyn
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 22:28:26
Brown gravy and fries, a great treat.
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 23:12:53
Years ago when I was working in a GM factory in Anderson Indiana some of us would go to the Triangle bar for lunch. One day a week they would have a roast beef manhattan as a special and for a quarter more you could get it with fries! It was very popular and very good!

You think that is special, a older lady that I worked with would sometimes have me bring her sliced tomatoes with gravy back for her lunch!

Butch
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/09 23:36:20
Hell.....if the Gravy is good enough you can pour it over sawdust
and I would eat it!

bcory
Hamburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/11 00:41:49
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I enjoyed poutine in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. It was a unique taste experience.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

It's more like the potatos are better in the Maritime provinces. It's the red soil they grow in.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/11 18:10:08
I think the fries and gravy seem to be mostly a northern thang!
I grew up in Florida and it wasnt until I went to upstate NY 11 years ago and they were all over every menu there, and never even heard anyone ask for them or even seen them served with gravy back home.....
Then, the same thing when I moved to Mass.. ff & gravy...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/11 19:17:50
quote:
Originally posted by bcory

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

It's more like the potatos are better in the Maritime provinces. It's the red soil they grow in.

Potatoes are a big deal in PEI. They grow so many varities there. They were blooming and I had never seen potatoes blooming in so many colors. Red, Blue, White and a couple of more. They have many varities.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2005/11/24 09:11:17
I don't think i've ever seen them on a menu in the NYC area but i've been eating french fries with gravy since the early sixties so i guess they've been around this area for at least that long since i don't believe i thought it up when i was twelve.
juvy
Junior Burger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/08/05 09:43:13
I remember getting Fries with Gravy in Cleveland, On W 25th ST. C&J Sandwich Shop. They had great food. Was a very small diner. Does anyone know of this place?

Pat
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/08/05 09:48:07
Poutine with smoked meat:

mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/08/05 13:12:31
You make me want to catcha plane to Montreal right now!
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/08/05 14:46:17
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

For some resaon, in my area of New Jersey (North Central/Union County/etc) French Fries with gravy are universally called "Disco Fries". I wonder how widepread that term is or where it came from (I don't ever recall having French Fries in a Disco). I don't think I've seen that term anywhere outside of this area of New Jersey.

For what it's worth, the best Disco Fries I've ever had are at the Scotchwood diner on Rt 22 in Scotch Plains. ---Ken

It's spread as far as central Jersey because I've heard the term. I always thought the reason it was called that is because when you piled into the diner after clubbing all night that's what everyone ordered. As far as Scotchwood Diner fries with gravy ... yes!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/08/05 17:08:32
Doing Salisbury steaks in onion gravy with FF tonight, I always put it on the FF also.

John
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/09/11 10:56:32
Gravy fries are a staple in and around my hometown in Pa.

Try em at Red's Dinner, just off rt322 in Lewistown. They go great (like someone mentioned earlier) with the hot roast beef sammy, or the fried chicken...
pacman
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/09/11 11:12:14
quote:
Originally posted by rebeltruce

Gravy fries are a staple in and around my hometown in Pa.

Try em at Red's Dinner, just off rt322 in Lewistown. They go great (like someone mentioned earlier) with the hot roast beef sammy, or the fried chicken...

Ok, I am originally from Blanchard, PA...Now living in Northumberland, PA and used to live in York & Hanover and often made the trip from State College thru Lewistown on 322. I can't place Red's Diner? Where exactly is it?

Dan
Pigiron
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/09/11 11:42:35
French fries with brown gravy are one of the greatest food combinations there is. It's a huge no-no on my health regimen, but I may have to rethink my list of occasional indulgences to include fries with gravy. I haven't had it in about 5 years. Yum!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/09/11 11:54:50
When I first encountered them at The Hot Grill in Clifton, NJ I thought it was an odd item but I oredered them anyway. I was out tasting hot dogs that day, but thought I would give this item a chance. Later that day I had them at Rutt's Hut. (Both places are legendary and are reviewed on Roadfood.)

The gravy was great at The Hot Grill but the fries were too soft for me. The fries were as crisp as I like them at Rutt's Hut, but the gravy was not as tasty. Oh well.
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/09/11 12:08:27
quote:

I am British and living in the UK but I have visited the US a couple of times, my boyfriend is from, and living in, North Carolina, one of my exes was from San Diego and I do have a fair amount of US friends both irl and online If I had the money to travel, I could prolly eat my way from state to state visiting all those dear people I have not yet met

Yay! Another UK Roadfooder... where in the country are you? If you're near London and feeling nostalgic for US food, try Bodeans BBQ. It's as close as you can get to American BBQ in the whole of the UK (and they also offer chilli-cheese fries, gravy fries, and a few others as well).
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/09/11 16:20:52

Ok, I am originally from Blanchard, PA...Now living in Northumberland, PA and used to live in York & Hanover and often made the trip from State College thru Lewistown on 322. I can't place Red's Diner? Where exactly is it?

Dan

Hey Dan,

There is an awful lot of new construction thru that area, it's been a death trap for many years, "The Narrows" is what it used to be called. So I'm not sure if the route I'll describe below is accurate, I do know Red's s still there. Closed for a little while but now has reopened with a new owner.

Just as The Narrows open up, you could either bear to the right to continue on to State College on rt322 or stay to the left. You would want stay to the left, in other words stay along the river. There will be an old car wash on the right Red's is directly acrossed the street from the car wash. After the split it would be less then 1/4 mile to Red's.

Haven't been there since the new owner's have taken over, but I hear from a reliable source that nothing has changed. It's a dive, but the food is very good. Typical central Pa. diner food. I think the place had been up and running for over 50 years before the recent change of ownership. If you make it by there post a review!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: French fries with gravy? 2006/09/11 18:12:28
quote:
Originally posted by cheesybellybutton

quote:

I am British and living in the UK but I have visited the US a couple of times, my boyfriend is from, and living in, North Carolina, one of my exes was from San Diego and I do have a fair amount of US friends both irl and online If I had the money to travel, I could prolly eat my way from state to state visiting all those dear people I have not yet met

Yay! Another UK Roadfooder... where in the country are you? If you're near London and feeling nostalgic for US food, try Bodeans BBQ. It's as close as you can get to American BBQ in the whole of the UK (and they also offer chilli-cheese fries, gravy fries, and a few others as well).

There is a competition BBQ team from the UK known as Mad Cow (Blame them, not me) that won the Jack last year. They will be back for the forthcoming competition this year as well.

John
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2007/02/05 11:34:14
I love reviving a topic!

Recently, My DH and I had dinner at "Food for thought" in Williamsburg VA. They does fries with mushroom gravey to dip them in. They were very good. Very skinny - skinnier (is that a word?) than McDonald's.

Cathy
hotdogger
Hamburger
RE: French fries with gravy? 2007/02/26 11:57:31
I think gravy is for mashed potatoes. Poutine, Canada's national dish, is served at KFC now and it looks pretty gross. I will stick with the catsup! LOL
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: French fries with gravy? 2007/02/26 23:46:13
I've avoided many a hangover with Fries and gravy. We would get it with a hot roast beef samich. doesn't get any better than that!!Dan's Diner next to the RR Station in St. Marys, PA
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial