Fries, to peel or not

Post
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
2003/05/17 12:14:22
I just returned from a great roadtrip. We stopped in this place in Whitney, Ontario called The Mad Musher and a long burning question reared its head again. They served the greatest fries, crispy and peeled. I've long believed that potatoes should be peeled before turned into fries. To me it is a sign of lazyness to just chip them. The nutritonal argument is moot once they are in the fat. Unfortunetly the majority of places around here don't peel and I some times get myself in trouble for my opinions. What say you fellow roadtrippers?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/17 12:42:41
Leave the skin where it belongs!!...on the Tater.
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/17 14:46:47
quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

I just returned from a great roadtrip. We stopped in this place in Whitney, Ontario called The Mad Musher and a long burning question reared its head again. They served the greatest fries, crispy and peeled. I've long believed that potatoes should be peeled before turned into fries. To me it is a sign of lazyness to just chip them. The nutritonal argument is moot once they are in the fat. Unfortunetly the majority of places around here don't peel and I some times get myself in trouble for my opinions. What say you fellow roadtrippers?


I don't have a problem with it either way... some people enjoy the flavor of the deep fried peel, some don't. For me, it would just be a nice change to have some perfectly done fries..peel or not.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/17 15:07:52
Peel 'em!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/18 08:17:41
I never peel a potato. I slice them and deep fry them. In addition I make a mixture of seasoned salt and flour and immerse them before I fry. They turn a beautiful brown and to me, the seasoning adds a wonderful taste to the potato.

I was in Montreal several weeks ago and as I was going south toward Vermont, I stopped at a roadside place that served European style frites. Must be the potato because they were better than what I fry. The owner spoke only French and could not explain his process, or maybe he wouldn't

On another trip to Houma, louisiana, I stopped at another place that cooked their fries in lard, Didn't sound good, but was delicious.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/18 11:21:05
European style fries are ususally fried twice. Once at about 325-350 to cook the potato and put a "skin" on the sticks -- then a second time at about 375 to brown and crisp them. One of the ways that I sometimes do fries is to do 1/4 inch thick slices of the whole potato and then do the 2 fry method. If you do it just right (and that is pretty hard to do) you get pommes souffles which are sort of like potato chip balloons! Even if they do not puff up when you do the second cooking, they are very yummy.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/18 18:00:39
Fries, DON'T peel. Mashed potatoes, DEFINITELY peel. Whoever thought of mashing potatoes with the skins on should be shot.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/18 18:47:57
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Fries, DON'T peel. Mashed potatoes, DEFINITELY peel. Whoever thought of mashing potatoes with the skins on should be shot.


Actually, Bushie, they seem to do that a lot in Knoxville. Apparently mashed potatoes with the skin on improves the taste according to some.

I am not hung up one way or the other. Mom cooks mashed potatoes every Sunday. She uses sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. Good enough for me

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/18 21:21:56
Jennifer, you took the words out of my mouth. I agree with your sentiments exactly.
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

I just returned from a great roadtrip. We stopped in this place in Whitney, Ontario called The Mad Musher and a long burning question reared its head again. They served the greatest fries, crispy and peeled. I've long believed that potatoes should be peeled before turned into fries. To me it is a sign of lazyness to just chip them. The nutritonal argument is moot once they are in the fat. Unfortunetly the majority of places around here don't peel and I some times get myself in trouble for my opinions. What say you fellow roadtrippers?


I don't have a problem with it either way... some people enjoy the flavor of the deep fried peel, some don't. For me, it would just be a nice change to have some perfectly done fries..peel or not.
Hode
Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2003/05/18 22:17:47
Paul I hope you ate at BOB's Cafe in Houma La.
skin on skin off / just cook them till done.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/02 00:13:03
I prefer my fries and mashed with the skins on, but heck, it's hard to ruin either one. Unpeeled is good, too.

carl reitz
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/02 01:22:52
Peel 'em!

Mashed? some peel is OK.

MikeS.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/02 08:12:33
Gotta go with the Mayor on this one--I wash potatoes well with a soft bristle brush--like a mushroom brush--and never peel them.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/02 10:21:00
For the fries, peeled or unpeeled... Makes no difference to me. But on the mashed spuds, ya, you need to peel them! Also I like sundancers idea of seasoning them, but seems like the salt would quickly break down the fat in the fryers...
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/02 10:36:55
I like them both ways, but usually leave them peeled for laziness sake. I soak my cut fries in ice water for 20 mins then dry before frying. Deep fry them for about 10 mins until a very slight crust starts to form, remove and drain and fry more, take the second batch out and put the first back in, as the second drains. I then fry until they are somewhat golden , with a crisp exterior and a tender interior. The cold water/par-fry extrudes the starches out thus tenderizing the inner and creating the crust outwardly. I like mine with just a bit of salt, but on occasion drizzle some malt vinegar over them or have some ranch style blue cheesedip to plunge them in.

As far as peels in mashed potatoes......EWWWWWWWWWWWWW, that's like having a fly in your soup. If making Buttered and Parslied new 'taters, I do leave the skins on, however, as I also do with fried taters.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/02 12:06:12
Arthur Bryant left the peel on his fries, and used lard. Learn from the Masters.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/02 22:02:45
I like fries European style, peel on, fried twice in lard seasoned with garlic and bay leaf (preferably lard that you rendered from the pig you slaughtered). This is the way I was taught by my French neighbor who made "pommes frites" every day of her life and they were without a doubt the best I've ever eaten. For mashed, no peel please.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/03 07:15:15
lleechef: I saw another poster agreed with you on twice fried. Why do you do that? I also noticed that you flavored the lard with garlic and a bayleaf.

I too noticed that frites in Europe were better but I could never figure out why? I always thought it was the potato????? Now I do not know.

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Goose
Hamburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/04 13:54:28
the second frying should be in some sort of oil that has a taste, lard, peanut, etc.

the first frying is for cooking the 'tater, the second is for flavor and crispness.

also, don't drain them on paper towel or brown paper bags, it helps
make them soggy. using a fine metal screen or mesh to drain them.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/04 14:08:00
Twice fried potatoes seem to me to be the best. The first visit to the fryer, at 375, cooks them some, then they're removed, allowed to cool, and then dropped back into the fryer. This ends up making them deliciously crisp on the outside and wonderfully tender on the inside.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/04 14:10:50
I worked in a pub kitchen that was famous for its fries, which were unpeeled, `hand cut' by pushing them through a cutting apparatus, and fried twice, the second just before serving.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/04 14:17:05
The skin-on fries have additional texture and flavor, both of which I like.

Unpeeled is best.
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/04 14:49:22
I too prefer the skins on and have done the 2 fry method. I have several racks that stack. I do the first fry, let cool, freeze for about an hour the the 2nd fry. Don't mind a few peels in mashed but hate garlic mashed, love garlic, but I don't think it should be in potatoes.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/04 14:53:46
Leave the peel on whenever possible.

Dont see it as laziness, just see it as one less thing to screw with whenn it comes to food. A potato has skin, so leave it on.



UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/04 15:10:36
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Twice fried potatoes seem to me to be the best. The first visit to the fryer, at 375, cooks them some, then they're removed, allowed to cool, and then dropped back into the fryer. This ends up making them deliciously crisp on the outside and wonderfully tender on the inside.


I used to do this all the time back in the day... Though customers would complain they where "too greasy" this way... Must have been health concious...
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/05 00:03:37
I always peel the potatoes for fries or mashed, but I can and will eat them either way.

I also have not tried twice fried potatoes that i'm aware of, but it sounds great.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/05 10:13:01
I personally like the skin better than the flesh part of the potato.
When I bake potatoes, I never wrap them in aluminum foil. I rub them with oil, salt and pepper and bake on the oven rack. They are crispy on the outside and nice and fluffy on the inside.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Fries, to peel or not 2004/10/05 14:35:59
If I am makeing pomme frites I will peel the potatoes, then I dip them and dry them in clean water three times to get the starch off. If I just want a good old french fry I will just leave the peel on and cut and fry them up. It more or less depends on how I feel and the amount of time I have.