Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 82 of 82
Fat Pig
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 05/14/07 8:59 AM
Jersy Mike's is okay. It uses Dietz & Watson meats, which is below Boar's Head and Thuman's but still better than you will get at chains. Somebody mentioned Publix. If you get the Publix meats, it's mediocre. If you get Boar's Head it's the best of any chain type sub/hoagie you will get.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 05/14/07 5:58 PM
I agree. The extra dollar they ask for Boar's Head meats is a very good value.

ncfromdc
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 06/14/07 4:05 PM
I like Jersey Mike's BBQ sandwiches.

viennadog
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 06/14/07 4:33 PM
At the risk of hearing, "I don't care how you do it up North." I think the east coast (NY, NJ, etc.) and Midwest (particularly Chicago) really know how to make amazing subs. That being said, I think Jersey Mike's makes a great sub here in the Triangle of North Carolina (Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill) that's consistant no matter what location you go to, which says alot. They're nothing like most chains, which don't have that homemade taste. Unfortunately, we have way too many chains here (Quizno's, Blimpee's, etc) and not enough individually owned mom 'n pop type establishments.

Thankfully there are a couple (mom 'n pop places) that make an amazing sub, so all is not lost. Those would be The Food Factory in nearby Cary on E. Chatham Street, with a menu that'll make you dizzy (http://thefoodfactory.com/default.aspx) and Roma's Italian (which also carries Lupo's Speide marinade from upper NY area) on Harrison just off of Main Street. Either place makes a great homemade huge tastey sub!

bbires
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 06/22/07 9:05 AM
Another Southerner agrees: Jersey Mike's does subs in a way that other chains down here do not. I made the mistake of trying that Brickhouse Subs place because it was new--it was terrible! Sadly, Jersey Mike's has left Chattanooga, but, it has been replaced by Lenny's Subs, which is very similar. But I can no longer get my sub "Mike's Way."

firecommander3565
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 06/22/07 9:46 AM
When you come to Chicago and you want a "Real Italian Sub" make sure you stop at Fontano's (at Polk and May). Get the "Bloackbuster" with Hot Italian peppers! Now Thats a Sandwich!

jerzeydawg
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 07/8/07 11:06 PM
I discovered Jersey Mikes a few monthes ago. There is one in downtown Westfield NJ. I think that their subs are great. The bread is a basic white bread hoagie roll with a nice soft texture. I regularly enjoy the Jersey Shore Favorite mikes way minus the onions and i add mayo as well. The amount of meat on the sandwich is generous and the tomatoes are fresh.

My other favorite sandwich is the Chipotle Cheesesteak. It is a very juicy cheese steak cooked to order on a griddle and they spike the sandwich with a chipotle flavored mayonnaise and then there's the option of chipotle flavored cheese for extra kick. The combination of the steak being so juicy and the kick of chipotle makes this sandwich a lunch time utopia.

hack_875
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 09/21/09 7:41 PM

l

Wegman's or DeBella's????!!!!!!!

You aren't originally from WNY are you? Anyone who's lived in the northtowns of WNY (and Amherst is right next door to Kenmore), knows that Mike's Original Submarines (http://www.mikes-subs.com) (Note: Not to be confused with Jersey Mike's) on Delaware in Kenmore is the main reason that chain subshops don't make any headway in WNY.

Their subs use Costanza bakery 15" sub rolls, Mike's original recipe special oil, generous helpings of fresh ingredients, along with "Real" Italian meats. I've been getting subs from there for almost 30 years, and I used to drive miles out of my way on the trips back home from college just to get one of their subs (thank goodness I moved closer since! ).

californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
Re:Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 09/21/09 7:58 PM
 No one in Jersey would ever go to a Jersey Mike's...there are still enough Mom and Pop places around ...I think there was a Jersey Mikes in Toms River...gone now I think (hope)  

cameron074
  • Total Posts : 135
Re:Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 09/22/09 9:51 AM
californyguy

No one in Jersey would ever go to a Jersey Mike's...there are still enough Mom and Pop places around ...I think there was a Jersey Mikes in Toms River...gone now I think (hope)  

How do the stores in NJ stay open? All from out-of-state business?

I've been to the JM a few minutes away here in Parsippany, not great, not bad. Just average.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4900
Re:Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 09/22/09 12:13 PM
Here in Dallas where we have a noticeable lack of mom & pop's, I welcome the addition of Jersey Mike's. Especially the one that opened up only 6 doors away from me.
The owner, Eric knows how to take care of people and his staff are all friendly and accommodating. 
I'm sure the people at the nearby Subway are wondering why they haven't seen me lately.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 09/22/09 12:25 PM
Jersey Mikes has an ok sub. Nothing worth writing home about. I went to a place called Lenny's Sub's today. I thought it was a Mom and Pop but it wasn't . Pretty large chain but not bad for a chain. Pepper relish was very good, bread was quite good also. Very Clean! I would go back. Four people in my office ate of 1 large Itallian and 1 regular. $17.86. Far better than Subway...Russ

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4900
Re:Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 09/22/09 12:41 PM
Subway, has to be at the bottom of the quality totem pole.

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 09/22/09 2:31 PM
halfday

Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.

The outfit gives the state of NJ a bad name - imagine folks thinking hoagie bread from Jersey Mike's Subs is in any way reflective of the great hoagie loaves available in NJ!!!!!!!!

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 09/22/09 2:39 PM
Russ Jackson

Jersey Mikes has an ok sub. Nothing worth writing home about. I went to a place called Lenny's Sub's today. I thought it was a Mom and Pop but it wasn't . Pretty large chain but not bad for a chain. Pepper relish was very good, bread was quite good also. Very Clean! I would go back. Four people in my office ate of 1 large Itallian and 1 regular. $17.86. Far better than Subway...Russ

It is hard to tell from photos online what their hoagie loaf is like - it is crusty and chewy, or kind of blah?

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 09/22/09 3:46 PM
NYPIzzaNut

The outfit gives the state of NJ a bad name - imagine folks thinking hoagie bread from Jersey Mike's Subs is in any way reflective of the great hoagie loaves available in NJ!!!!!!!!

so to clarify, people and organizations who use a state as a part of their name tend to give people the impression that they represent what one will find in said state?

I ask because I am in the middle of planning a trip that (at the moment) includes New York

Wandering Chew
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 09/27/09 12:04 AM
CRAP Subs

i tried my 1st and last last week after a 4 1/2 hour drive to Tampa from Miami- 4 hour meetings and very hungry after. I saw a sign off I-75 in Bradenton or Sarasota and tried a cheesesteak (Assuming Jersey Mike should know how to make one) - YECHHH- i ordered the rip off large for $11-12 bucks and they couldn't even fill the whole sub with meat leaving the last quarter empty. what a waste of time and money.

I'm done with Jersey Mikes and suggest they don't bother coming to Miami.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 12/6/09 11:25 PM
They have recently opened near me. I'll probably give them a try sometime. My only other option is Subway for a cold sub.

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 12/7/09 1:45 AM
MikeS.

They have recently opened near me. I'll probably give them a try sometime. My only other option is Subway for a cold sub.

The Jersey Mike's in Lakewood, and  the one in Toms River area are both closed. 
I guess they do better out of state!!

tdj_tx
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sat, 07/10/10 5:33 PM
I've been eating at Jersey Mike's here in Austin TX for several years, the one on 183. I have never had a bad sub, can't seem to order anything other than the #13. I love how they slice the meats and cheese and place them right on the bread as you order it. Lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar, pickles on the side. I have to say the best in Austin. Mom and Pop sub shops are not very big around here. My all time favorite was Lou's Astro Subs in Kingston NY. We ate there every night when I worked at IBM in the 80's.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Wed, 08/4/10 2:11 PM
Like so many places, a franchise is only as good as the employees in that location>>>Here in Brick Nj, in the heart of Jersey(where they know how to make subs, and mom and pops are a dime a dozen) we have several Jersey Mike's and as far as I can tell, all are doing well and make a great sandwich...the one I frequent fills the sandwich...and even gives you a choice of bread...regular sub roll or crispy Italian!!

johnlockedema
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 08/8/10 3:29 PM
It's hard, with all the good Italian deli's in NJ, that a chain sub shop, even one with NJ roots, could succeed.  But they do.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 82 of 82