Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 82
Author Message
ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/22/2003
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/5/05 7:57 PM
0
Here in Atlanta, I've decided Jersey Mike's Subs, is the best of the bunch. I'd like to hear what you think.

We have basically:
Subway
Blimpie's
Quizno's
All in high numbers

I know of a single Baldino's Giant Jersey Subs, but haven't tried it. There is also a local place of legend: The Sub Base It has been around 25 or more year, in the same dumpy location. And only opened for lunch. I plan to try it again, as it's been years.

Anyway, we now have about a dozen Jersey Mike's, and after trying several locations, I have decided of the major chains, I think they are the clear winner.

Blimpie's have never thrilled me. They seem to close earlier than Subways. I had a tuna melt, that was a horrible, goo-disaster of soggy bread. Haven't been back. Subway seems to do a decent job, though they use "packaged" meats, which doesn't thrill me. Quizno's I tried once, and the the gimmick didn't seem to add much, considering the hype.

I have found Jersey Mike's, to make a bigger sub than most others, at just a bit more dollar. The meats and cheeses are deli-sliced. I think the bread is superior, though they seem to run out of wheat way too much. The best thing is that they happily pile on the veggies, without having to beg. I have found the other chains don't understand the meaning of "heavy" onions! The produce seems a bit fresher, as well. I have found their hot offerings, MUCH better than the other chains. Microwaves at Subway may be fast, but as with their method with the meats, it's inferior in taste to me.

I believe I get a bigger, fresher, true deli-style sub, from Jersey Mike's.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/5/05 8:13 PM
0
I bought a sub at a Jersey Mike's once. I ordered an Italian sub. It had baked Virginia ham, White American cheese, and some sort of salami that was as Italian as the Himalyas. It also had lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise.

Nuff said!

mbmusgrove
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/12/2005
  • Location: Bluffton, SC
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/5/05 8:39 PM
0
Jersey Mike's Subs doesn't offer an "Italian Sub" on it's menu. What you ordered was a #11: cheese, ham, salami. And you are able to choose what type of cheese and any extras that go on it.

If you wanted a more italian sandwich, the #2, 4, 5 or #13 may have been more to your liking. #13= Jersey Mike's original: cheese, ham, proscuittini, cappacuolo, salami, pepperoni. Provolone is available.
You may want to give them another try, or make sure it was a Jersey Mike's you were at.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/5/05 8:56 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by mbmusgrove

Jersey Mike's Subs doesn't offer an "Italian Sub" on it's menu. What you ordered was a #11: cheese, ham, salami. And you are able to choose what type of cheese and any extras that go on it.

If you wanted a more italian sandwich, the #2, 4, 5 or #13 may have been more to your liking. #13= Jersey Mike's original: cheese, ham, proscuittini, cappacuolo, salami, pepperoni. Provolone is available.
You may want to give them another try, or make sure it was a Jersey Mike's you were at.

It was Jersey Mike's, and I said Italian because I ordered it with salami, capacolla, Genoa salami and provolone.

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/28/2004
  • Location: dowagiac, MI
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/5/05 10:45 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER

Here in Atlanta, I've decided Jersey Mike's Subs, is the best of the bunch. I'd like to hear what you think.

We have basically:
Subway
Blimpie's
Quizno's
All in high numbers

I know of a single Baldino's Giant Jersey Subs, but haven't tried it. There is also a local place of legend: The Sub Base It has been around 25 or more year, in the same dumpy location. And only opened for lunch. I plan to try it again, as it's been years.

Anyway, we now have about a dozen Jersey Mike's, and after trying several locations, I have decided of the major chains, I think they are the clear winner.

Blimpie's have never thrilled me. They seem to close earlier than Subways. I had a tuna melt, that was a horrible, goo-disaster of soggy bread. Haven't been back. Subway seems to do a decent job, though they use "packaged" meats, which doesn't thrill me. Quizno's I tried once, and the the gimmick didn't seem to add much, considering the hype.

I have found Jersey Mike's, to make a bigger sub than most others, at just a bit more dollar. The meats and cheeses are deli-sliced. I think the bread is superior, though they seem to run out of wheat way too much. The best thing is that they happily pile on the veggies, without having to beg. I have found the other chains don't understand the meaning of "heavy" onions! The produce seems a bit fresher, as well. I have found their hot offerings, MUCH better than the other chains. Microwaves at Subway may be fast, but as with their method with the meats, it's inferior in taste to me.

I believe I get a bigger, fresher, true deli-style sub, from Jersey Mike's.



The only good thing I can think of, about Jersey Mike's is, We used to have 3 Jersey Mike's in a 20 miles radius of My house, now there is only one!

The Sub was real big, but it was the sub bun part of it that was big,
very very little meat on them and they were a lot more pricey than SUBWAY or BLIMPIE"S!

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/6/2005
  • Location: jacksonville, FL
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/6/05 1:51 PM
0
I've never had a chance to try jersey mikes, quiznos makes a good sandwich but its not what I consider a sub, subway is the same, a good sandwich but not what this philly area transplant considers a sub. Years ago (30+) in Seaside Heights Nj there was a Blimpies, then it was a hoagie shop where 3 sandwichs fed a family of 7.. The local incarnation with its 6inch and "full size" sandwichs is a far cry from that memory, altough as an alternative to ffburgers its a good sandwich. Larry's Giant Subs fits in the same catagory.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/13/2002
  • Location: Marietta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/6/05 5:01 PM
0
Hey Ulver, try the Baldino's on Powers Ferry near the Big Chicken. IMHO it's far better than Jersey Mikes. Fresher, just-baked buns and fresher ingredients. Jersey Mikes near Town Center closed down.

ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/22/2003
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/6/05 5:15 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

Hey Ulver, try the Baldino's on Powers Ferry near the Big Chicken. IMHO it's far better than Jersey Mikes. Fresher, just-baked buns and fresher ingredients. Jersey Mikes near Town Center closed down.


I have a Baldino's even closer than that. On Buford Highway. It must be good, as it's still there, among about 150 taco shacks, and Viet Namese noodle huts. I'm thinking it might get a lot of biz, from the General Motors plant nearby. I'll try Baldino's! Thanks...

Swilliams
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/19/2004
  • Location: Lakeland, FL
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/12/05 5:46 PM
0
Baldino's i have always liked more than subway or Jersey Mike's *YUCK* My grandfather lives in Ga and always took us there for subs. I think the Roast Beef with everything and extra onions is my favorite.

anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/1/2004
  • Location: Amherst, NY
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/12/05 6:10 PM
0
Unfortunately, there are no Jersey Mike's submarine sandwich shops in Western New York. It would be pretty hard for them to complete with the likes of Wegman's and DiBella's submarines in our area.

http://www.dibellas.com/

http://www.wegmans.com/pdf/easyShopping/subs/83SubMenu.pdf

Tommy2dogs
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/13/2004
  • Location: Chicago, IL
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/12/05 8:02 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

Unfortunately, there are no Jersey Mike's submarine sandwich shops in Western New York. It would be pretty hard for them to complete with the likes of Wegman's and DiBella's submarines in our area.

http://www.dibellas.com/

http://www.wegmans.com/pdf/easyShopping/subs/83SubMenu.pdf


Sorry but I always question sandwiches that have cute names like"the Godfather"

CarolinaBill
  • Total Posts : 207
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/18/2004
  • Location: Columbia, SC
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/13/05 9:53 AM
0
Unfortunately in these parts, we are mostly left with Subway (McSub) or Quizno's (toasted - but cold by the time you eat it - yuck). We do have one outlet of Jersey Mike's that I found by accident, and I think it's pretty good. The #13 is the way to go if you want "Italian Sub" (which I always do). Still wish I understood why everyone in South insists on having their subs lathered with mayo - that is a sub NO-NO!!!!! For me, everything but onions, sometimes like a little mustard added. Now I think I know what I'm going to have for lunch....

halfday
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/13/2004
  • Location: Williamsport, PA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/13/05 10:32 AM
0
Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/28/2004
  • Location: dowagiac, MI
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/13/05 10:41 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by halfday

Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.



"you are so RIGHT!!!!"

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/8/2003
  • Location: Rochester, NY
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/13/05 11:51 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by halfday

Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.



"you are so RIGHT!!!!"


I'll third that.

I am jealous of many of you in other area's with access to good Italian Beef sandwiches, the New Englanders with delicious (whole belly) fried clams and lobster rolls, and the good apizza in CT. But I do not suffer for a good sub. You think these chains can make a sub? Come to Rochester and try a real sub at Joey DiBella's.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/14/2003
  • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/13/05 12:20 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by berndog

quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by halfday

Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.



"you are so RIGHT!!!!"


I'll third that.

I am jealous of many of you in other area's with access to good Italian Beef sandwiches, the New Englanders with delicious (whole belly) fried clams and lobster rolls, and the good apizza in CT. But I do not suffer for a good sub. You think these chains can make a sub? Come to Rochester and try a real sub at Joey DiBella's.


And I'll Fourth that! However, here in Michigan, the veggies during the winter time as so bland tasting, that no matter how good of quality the roll or meats are, the veggies seem to kill it...

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/28/2004
  • Location: dowagiac, MI
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 05/13/05 4:05 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
Originally posted by berndog

quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by halfday

Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.



"you are so RIGHT!!!!"




I'll third that.

I am jealous of many of you in other area's with access to good Italian Beef sandwiches, the New Englanders with delicious (whole belly) fried clams and lobster rolls, and the good apizza in CT. But I do not suffer for a good sub. You think these chains can make a sub? Come to Rochester and try a real sub at Joey DiBella's.


And I'll Fourth that! However, here in Michigan, the veggies during the winter time as so bland tasting, that no matter how good of quality the roll or meats are, the veggies seem to kill it...


UNCLE VIC:

If you, ever get to Kalamazoo, try "The Galley" sub shop. I discovered "The Gallery" approx. 20 years ago , when I was visiting my Sister, at W.M.U., and they STILL SERVE AN AWESOME SUB!!!!!!!!

http://www.galleysubs.com/menu2.htm

http://kzoo.com/asp/membercoupons.asp?id=80

ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/22/2003
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 05/15/05 7:23 PM
0
I tried the Baldino's Giant Subs last night! I was quite impressed! It was really packed with Boar's Head (slightly extra) turkey breast, and the veggies seemed fresh. Very tasty. The total cost was less than any other chain I've tried.

OK, those who suggested it over my choice of Jersey Mike's, have won me over. I still say a lot depends on who makes it, and the quality of the produce they allow on the sandwich. Results may vary by location and staff.

Anyway...This place also had SIX domestic beers on draft! Anyone seen that before!

The lady behind the counter, had been with the company for 12 years. This location was company owned, while the other lone Atlanta location is a franchise. They have some more locations in Georgia college towns, including one that is 24-hours.

She sadly mentioned that business is poor. The once thriving store, opened in 1991, used to have 10 people working at lunch. The building is near a General Motor's plant. Maybe that explains the draft beer!

Anyway, I have a bit of social commentary. The reason the manager mentioned (bravely so) for the decline was sorely obvious. Illegal aliens were everywhere. On corners, at gas stations, and unfortunately for Baldino's near their parking lot. A police officer walked in, and was privy to our conversation. He couldn't count how many places to eat had vanished. The Pizza Hut was a taco place. The Steak & Shake was a taco place. The Arby's was a Taco Place. The Sonics was a taco place. The Popeye's was a taco place. I asked him if (as he stated) 90% of the people loitering were illegal, why nothing is being done. "The feds" he said..."they just don't give a damn." He mentioned, that the first hispanic officer hired by the city, had been shot and killed by an illegal a couple years ago, directly across the street from the Baldino's.


garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/28/2004
  • Location: dowagiac, MI
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 05/15/05 11:23 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER

I tried the Baldino's Giant Subs last night! I was quite impressed! It was really packed with Boar's Head (slightly extra) turkey breast, and the veggies seemed fresh. Very tasty. The total cost was less than any other chain I've tried.

OK, those who suggested it over my choice of Jersey Mike's, have won me over. I still say a lot depends on who makes it, and the quality of the produce they allow on the sandwich. Results may vary by location and staff.

Anyway...This place also had SIX domestic beers on draft! Anyone seen that before!

The lady behind the counter, had been with the company for 12 years. This location was company owned, while the other lone Atlanta location is a franchise. They have some more locations in Georgia college towns, including one that is 24-hours.

She sadly mentioned that business is poor. The once thriving store, opened in 1991, used to have 10 people working at lunch. The building is near a General Motor's plant. Maybe that explains the draft beer!

Anyway, I have a bit of social commentary. The reason the manager mentioned (bravely so) for the decline was sorely obvious. Illegal aliens were everywhere. On corners, at gas stations, and unfortunately for Baldino's near their parking lot. A police officer walked in, and was privy to our conversation. He couldn't count how many places to eat had vanished. The Pizza Hut was a taco place. The Steak & Shake was a taco place. The Arby's was a Taco Place. The Sonics was a taco place. The Popeye's was a taco place. I asked him if (as he stated) 90% of the people loitering were illegal, why nothing is being done. "The feds" he said..."they just don't give a damn." He mentioned, that the first hispanic officer hired by the city, had been shot and killed by an illegal a couple years ago, directly across the street from the Baldino's.




Another reason that their sales are down, could be, because they are close to a GM plant! GM Sales are down, overtime hours are way down for workers and also there are workers Laid off! If workers aren't geting overtime, they cut back on spending and if workers on laid off, they cut down on spending.

ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/22/2003
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sat, 06/4/05 6:05 PM
0
WOW! I have had three subs this week, from three different Publix grocery stores. I think they have been the very best I've tried so far! I was amazed...

They really dressed it out, just as I asked. HEAVY onions, means a lot...something Subway just can't seem to comprehend. Everything here was fresh, including the bread. Really a well-made, hardy sandwich.

Seems the local cops agree. Several having lunch there, while the Subway was empty.

Anyone else have good luck with Publix?

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2003
  • Location: Nashville, TN
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sat, 06/4/05 6:31 PM
0
Publix is ok, if you get the Boar's Head, but to get back to the original topic, Jersey Mike's is better, also a better value.

QFan
  • Total Posts : 641
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/8/2004
  • Location: Bonita Springs, FL
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 06/5/05 10:41 AM
0
I posted the same question on Jersey Mikes' a while back under the sandwich thread. Below is the response I got
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman


Originally posted by QFan

A Jersey Mike's has opened up down here in Ft Myers. Obviously, we are a long way from the heart of cheese steak and hoagie country in the northeast. Can any of you Philly-area experts tell me whether Jersey Mike's makes a reliable CS or hoagie when you can't get the real thing. I seem to remember some earlier posts that were pretty favorable?

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

Jersey Mike's is an abomination. I've never heard of one having cheese steaks, but then I've never looked. Their so-called Italian subs, at least in the franchises here in central Ohio, have baked ham, bad salami, cheap cheese and disgusting bread. Other than that, they're terrific.

Bobs
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/28/2003
  • Location: Jackson, TN
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 06/14/05 12:31 PM
0
We finally got several Jersey Mike's in Memphis. I am originally from Jersey and know a good sub when I have one. The interesting thing about Jersey Mike's in Memphis is the difference in quality and service at the different locations. I can get a very good sub at one location and it is almost as good as a one in Jersey. Fortunately there is a real authentic Italian deli in mid-town Memphis. It is called Fino's and is a true mom and pop kind of place. They use real good Italian bread that is freshly baked and load the subs with good meat and cheeses. All of their ingredients are quality and take charge a very fair price.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 03/20/06 4:26 PM
0
I am glad I searched and read this, as there is a Jerseys Mike's close to me. I am glad I didnt waste my money. I would rather stick with Subway veggie sub after these reviews..Thanks!
(I know its an old post, but that is what searches are for!)

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/13/2002
  • Location: Marietta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 03/20/06 4:58 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER

I tried the Baldino's Giant Subs last night! I was quite impressed! It was really packed with Boar's Head (slightly extra) turkey breast, and the veggies seemed fresh. Very tasty. The total cost was less than any other chain I've tried.

OK, those who suggested it over my choice of Jersey Mike's, have won me over. I still say a lot depends on who makes it, and the quality of the produce they allow on the sandwich. Results may vary by location and staff.

Anyway...This place also had SIX domestic beers on draft! Anyone seen that before!

The lady behind the counter, had been with the company for 12 years. This location was company owned, while the other lone Atlanta location is a franchise. They have some more locations in Georgia college towns, including one that is 24-hours.

She sadly mentioned that business is poor. The once thriving store, opened in 1991, used to have 10 people working at lunch. The building is near a General Motor's plant. Maybe that explains the draft beer!

Anyway, I have a bit of social commentary. The reason the manager mentioned (bravely so) for the decline was sorely obvious. Illegal aliens were everywhere. On corners, at gas stations, and unfortunately for Baldino's near their parking lot. A police officer walked in, and was privy to our conversation. He couldn't count how many places to eat had vanished. The Pizza Hut was a taco place. The Steak & Shake was a taco place. The Arby's was a Taco Place. The Sonics was a taco place. The Popeye's was a taco place. I asked him if (as he stated) 90% of the people loitering were illegal, why nothing is being done. "The feds" he said..."they just don't give a damn." He mentioned, that the first hispanic officer hired by the city, had been shot and killed by an illegal a couple years ago, directly across the street from the Baldino's.



ULVER - you still need to check out the Baldino's on Powers Ferry in the same area as Harry's market. We go there once a week on the average. Let me know if you're in the area on a Mon. or Wed. around 11:30 AM sometime and I'll let you buy me lunch.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 03/20/06 5:13 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I am glad I searched and read this, as there is a Jerseys Mike's close to me. I am glad I didnt waste my money. I would rather stick with Subway veggie sub after these reviews..Thanks!
(I know its an old post, but that is what searches are for!)


I went to one in Greensboro and it was good. Better than subway and Quiznos. The owners of that franchise were from the NYC area, and were great to talk to. They put together a nice sub back when I lived there.
I went to another one in Raliegh area, and it wasn't as good. SO, it really depends on the franchise owner. The quality varies widely from one Jersey Mikes to the next.
So, give it a try, and report back...or not.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2003
  • Location: Nashville, TN
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 03/20/06 5:44 PM
0
Bobs, I couldn't agree more! Most of the Jersey Mike's around Nashville aren't worth a second glance, but the one at 100 Oaks is one of my favorite sandwich spots around town.

Bobs
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/28/2003
  • Location: Jackson, TN
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 03/20/06 5:56 PM
0
Poverty Pete- I hope you and anyone else going through Memphis has an opportunity to try Fino's in mid-town. This is a real mom and pop operation with the same people making the sandwiches everyday. The sandwiches are authentic Italian with high quality ingredients. I have never been disappointed and truly like everything on the menu. They are closed Sunday and Monday and stay open until 6pm.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 03/20/06 7:32 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I am glad I searched and read this, as there is a Jerseys Mike's close to me. I am glad I didnt waste my money. I would rather stick with Subway veggie sub after these reviews..Thanks!
(I know its an old post, but that is what searches are for!)


I went to one in Greensboro and it was good. Better than subway and Quiznos. The owners of that franchise were from the NYC area, and were great to talk to. They put together a nice sub back when I lived there.
I went to another one in Raliegh area, and it wasn't as good. SO, it really depends on the franchise owner. The quality varies widely from one Jersey Mikes to the next.
So, give it a try, and report back...or not.

Well, I will.. Kinda scary, as it is located inside a gas station/convienience store.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 03/21/06 8:06 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I am glad I searched and read this, as there is a Jerseys Mike's close to me. I am glad I didnt waste my money. I would rather stick with Subway veggie sub after these reviews..Thanks!
(I know its an old post, but that is what searches are for!)


I went to one in Greensboro and it was good. Better than subway and Quiznos. The owners of that franchise were from the NYC area, and were great to talk to. They put together a nice sub back when I lived there.
I went to another one in Raliegh area, and it wasn't as good. SO, it really depends on the franchise owner. The quality varies widely from one Jersey Mikes to the next.
So, give it a try, and report back...or not.

Well, I will.. Kinda scary, as it is located inside a gas station/convienience store.

oh, well, you didn't say that! maybe forget it then. The Jersey Mike's in Greensboro was its own place.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 03/21/06 12:59 PM
0
Well, yanno so many Subways are also located in gas station/convienience stores now too...
Still, makes me kinda leery... I would rather go to a freestanding Subway/Any FFR than one in a gas station.
I mean so many FFR's are setting up shop in places like that.
Becoming more frequent....
So... maybe I will just peek inside and look around to feel it out.
The sign is huge, and I didnt realize it was a gas station until I looked closer....being new in town, still not used to lots of things here.

Captain Morgan
  • Total Posts : 503
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 03/21/06 2:42 PM
0
Hey Roosy, it's time for a complete run down on where you've eaten
and what you thought! I know you're still getting around, but you'll find out soon that A LOT of people want info about Myrtle Beach area eateries (16 million tourists a year).

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 03/21/06 3:22 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Hey Roosy, it's time for a complete run down on where you've eaten
and what you thought! I know you're still getting around, but you'll find out soon that A LOT of people want info about Myrtle Beach area eateries (16 million tourists a year).

I really have not been to many yet.... Basic chains so far (gasp)....one Q joint and one hot dog place.
There are so many restaurants here, one is confused as to where to start.
I do have my eye on a little place here in Conway.
I will put something together in a few weeks after I have been to more, and post it.

I am eager to check your place out, BTW--how is it coming, and where is it?..
Let me know when you open.
I have been so busy, I have not really had a chance to get to that list of places that I got back in January.
I got a job the first week, so it took lot's of time away from me to play tourist.

Niagara
  • Total Posts : 983
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/26/2006
  • Location: Topeka, KS
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 03/21/06 8:45 PM
0
We have 2 Jersey Mike's here in Topeka, and they are the best subs in town. Nowhere near Viola's Subs in my hometown of Niagara Falls, or other East Coast sub places, but very good for the Midwest.

Plus the local franchise owner, Keith, is a Jersey boy and knows subs.

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/23/2000
  • Location: Baltimore, MD
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 03/21/06 9:12 PM
0
Tell me a little about Viola's. I get to NF about once a year.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 03/21/06 9:14 PM
0
Ok, Scorereader, I saw another freestanding Jersey Mikes over by the beach, so apparently, there are several in the area.
I will get the ol' yellow pages out and see....
Then, I will check one of them out.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Wed, 03/22/06 10:17 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Ok, Scorereader, I saw another freestanding Jersey Mikes over by the beach, so apparently, there are several in the area.
I will get the ol' yellow pages out and see....
Then, I will check one of them out.


you'll know right away when you walk in if it'll be any good. When the guy says "wha-dah-ya-want!?" You'll know it'll be ok. If he/she says "may I take your order," turn around and leave. . There HAS to be NY attitude, otherwise, it'll just be a half step up from subway.

Niagara
  • Total Posts : 983
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/26/2006
  • Location: Topeka, KS
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Wed, 03/22/06 11:43 AM
0
Signman- Viola's Subs is at 1539 Military Road in the LaSalle neighborhood. There was also one off Pine Avenue by the City market, but I don't know if it's still open or not.

They're famous for their steak & cheese subs, but everything is good.

MandalayVA
  • Total Posts : 367
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/6/2004
  • Location: Richmond, VA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Wed, 03/22/06 11:51 PM
0
I used to eat at the original Jersey Mike's in Point Pleasant NJ and for a while there was a store in Freehold, but I had no idea Jersey Mike's had become a chain until I moved to Virginia. There's two near me, and if I'm dying for a sub and don't have a trip to Jersey in my immediate future JM fills the need. It's not perfect--I resign myself to forking over an extra dollar just so I can get a decent amount of meat and cheese--but compared to other sub places around here it's about as close as I can get to a real sub.

georgiadawgs
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/15/2005
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Wed, 05/3/06 10:21 PM
0
Jersey Mike's is a chain here in GA. When I first moved here in 2001 I really liked it. Reminded me a lot of this place in East Lansing, MI, Jersey Giants (which is the BEST sub I have ever had!

But the last couple years Jersey Mike's has really gone to downhill. At least the locations around Atlanta. Bad enough to the point I'll go without before I'll waste 9 BUCKS on a sub there. As far as the Atlanta area the only other good sub place is Baldinos, which has surpassed Jersey Mike's by far in this area.

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1909
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/1/2004
  • Location: Millbury, MA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/4/06 1:30 PM
0
So many chains start off with a good concept and product, but so few chains stay true to their roots. If there ever was a real Jersey Mike, I wonder what he would think of today's product?

caver
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/5/2004
  • Location: Murfreesboro, TN
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/4/06 7:30 PM
0
Personally I like Jersey Mikes for cold subs. If you want a really good toasted sub in Nashville try the Sub Depot off Donelson Pike. It's in the shopping center with the Kmart just North of I-40. It's the block opposite from where Boos was.

They do some good cold subs, but they're toasted ones are some of the best I've had. Good bread, and the ones I've had hold up well as you eat them, no soggy mess.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2003
  • Location: Nashville, TN
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 05/4/06 9:06 PM
0
Thanks for that tip. I only live a mile or so from there, and will try it tomorrow night after work.

Cheezburger
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/11/2002
  • Location: Lexington, VA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sat, 06/3/06 7:08 AM
0
Had my first and last Jersey Mike's sub in the Cincinnati area a few weeks ago. My wife and I had the worst representation of a Philly cheese steak ever. Will not go back!

MandalayVA
  • Total Posts : 367
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/6/2004
  • Location: Richmond, VA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sat, 06/3/06 9:13 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Cheezburger

Had my first and last Jersey Mike's sub in the Cincinnati area a few weeks ago. My wife and I had the worst representation of a Philly cheese steak ever. Will not go back!


Your first mistake was getting a cheese steak outside of Philadelphia. Everyone knows you eat chili in Cincy.

Cheezburger
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/11/2002
  • Location: Lexington, VA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 06/4/06 7:07 PM
0
Mandalay, unfortunately Cincy chili ranks very low on my priority list around here. I just don't get the precieved hype about the chili or coney dogs in this area. Everybody's taste is different I understand...... but I would not go out of my way to eat at Skyline or Goldstar.

keef richards
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/30/2004
  • Location: morristown, NJ
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 06/9/06 7:36 PM
0
it is good for what it is.(a blimpies, subway chain type) but it is an embarassmentto new jersey deli's. any deli that does not have fresh muzz should not be consider a nj deli. muzz is mozzarella made from fresh curds and pulled by hand usually made on premises everyday. the bread is also not representive of the northern nj area it is like wonder bread shaped in a sub roll. next time you go to jersey mikes ask for soprasetta,fresh muzz,sharp provolone or "gava-gool". they won't know what you are asking for.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Mon, 06/12/06 4:50 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Cheezburger

Had my first and last Jersey Mike's sub in the Cincinnati area a few weeks ago. My wife and I had the worst representation of a Philly cheese steak ever. Will not go back!

Finally just tried one myself over the weekend.
Probably wont get another one. Menu is bland, I can get a better veggie sub at Subway...
I will stick to making my own phillys or just eat them at work.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 06/13/06 11:13 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by Cheezburger

Had my first and last Jersey Mike's sub in the Cincinnati area a few weeks ago. My wife and I had the worst representation of a Philly cheese steak ever. Will not go back!

Finally just tried one myself over the weekend.
Probably wont get another one. Menu is bland, I can get a better veggie sub at Subway...
I will stick to making my own phillys or just eat them at work.


I'm not sure why anyone would order a cheesesteak at Jersey Mike's sub in the first placer. It's a sub shop, not a cheesesteak shop.
If you're going to judge Jersey Mike based on it's cheesesteak, then you should judge subway on it's cheesesteak...or other hot subs, which are just pure crap.


georgiadawgs
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/15/2005
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 06/13/06 8:19 PM
0
I tried...I really tried to give this place another chance. Today at lunch I was short on time, desperate, and it was either CrapDonald's or Jersey Mike's. I figured what the heck, up to the last couple times I went there, it actually used to be pretty decent...BOY what a mistake, I think its actually gotten much worse than the last bad experience I had there. I think the price has actually gone up and the amount of food down. NINE and A HALF FREAKIN' DOLLARS for a sub! Barely any meat, horrible service. I think my money would have been better spent being used as toilet paper. Sorry no way, this place is horrible, NEVER AGAIN!

Here in Atlanta there's really only one other place that comes anything close to a Jersey sub, and that's Baldino's. 100 TIMES better than this crap. Not too mention bigger portions, better service, they serve BEER, and $3-4 cheaper for a sub!
Really can't imagine Jersey Mike's being around much longer, just a bad horribly overpriced product!

georgiadawgs
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/15/2005
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Tue, 06/13/06 8:26 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

So many chains start off with a good concept and product, but so few chains stay true to their roots. If there ever was a real Jersey Mike, I wonder what he would think of today's product?


That is very true. Last year I was at a Jersey Mike's getting a sub, and the owner happened to be in there the place was empty so we got talking for a little bit. Since about 2004 they've made lots of changes with the franchise, mainly that they've been forcing a lot of corporate stuff on the indiv. franchises, making them raise prices, charge for any and all extras, etc. He had actually sold his franchises back to the company or something and was outta there in a couple weeks. He said many of the independants were getting out, and felt the corp. was putting the franchise on a spiral downward. Well I can definately say he sure seems right!

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Wed, 06/14/06 10:15 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by georgiadawgs

quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

So many chains start off with a good concept and product, but so few chains stay true to their roots. If there ever was a real Jersey Mike, I wonder what he would think of today's product?


That is very true. Last year I was at a Jersey Mike's getting a sub, and the owner happened to be in there the place was empty so we got talking for a little bit. Since about 2004 they've made lots of changes with the franchise, mainly that they've been forcing a lot of corporate stuff on the indiv. franchises, making them raise prices, charge for any and all extras, etc. He had actually sold his franchises back to the company or something and was outta there in a couple weeks. He said many of the independants were getting out, and felt the corp. was putting the franchise on a spiral downward. Well I can definately say he sure seems right!


Man, that's too bad. The one in Greensboro, NC I used to go to was pretty damn decent. The owner was from Jersey and it felt like the kind of NY sub shop I grew up on.
Maybe all the recent crappy reviews is the trend, which is too bad. I guess I'll stop defending the place, knowing that even the franchise owners aren't happy about the direction it's taking.
Oh well, I have a few nice places for a sub in DC I can go, so I don't need a chain subshop.


ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/22/2003
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Wed, 03/14/07 5:33 PM
0
WOW! Been a while since I started this, and I think I have been back to most every sub place three times over. I pretty much have decided the following:

Jersey Mike's has become WAY over-priced. I paid over $9 for a tuna sub that was spotty at best. Not a lot of tuna, and they didn't know the meaning of "heavy" onions.

Baldino's on the other hand, literally had the tuna falling out of the bread. It was packed with tuna and veggies. A little over $6 with cheese!

The nice lady that has been there forever, says sadly enough, that business is off 50% now, several months after the GM plant has been closed. Why more of these didn't open way back when around Atlanta, I will never know. Maybe it is just this location that packs 'em heavy, but they have done so, no matter who has been behind the counter.

A close 2nd goes to Publix. They aren't shy about stacking the veggies high as requested, and they also are cheaper than Jersey Mike's. Another great thing is that you can get one made right up to closing. Not only does Kroger's sub completely suck, they close shop at 9pm in the deli, period. Publix has really kicked their butt, locally.

For two chains that have the lead in the market, Subway and Blimpie's are really pretty lame. The last tuna melt at Blimpie's was a disaster, and the last sandwich at Subway was much like Jersey Mike's---little between the bread. No wonder Jared lost all the weight.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 03/15/07 1:03 AM
0
Honestly, I don't think I'd get a tuna-anything (sub OR melt) at a chain place. 1st off, I only like albacore tuna and chain places don't use that. Second, when I think of a Sub, I don't think of grilled, toasted or otherwise cooked as really being a "sub" especially at a chain. (Which may be another reason I hate Quiznos) When I think of a sub, I think of deli meats, cheese, appropriate fixings (like lettuce, tomato onion, oregano, a little oil and veinegar, in a long roll. Of course, there is the meatball sub and philly cheesesteak. But, I don't consider either a "sub" in the deli-subshop sense, since they are specialties that should only be had in a place that specializes in such a sandwich.


californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/30/2002
  • Location: sacramenty , CA
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 03/15/07 1:23 AM
0
out here in food deprived california, blimpies is best; they use real meat , not like the subway synthetics , and if you get yours the blimpie way with the special vinegar you can actually smell an east coast breeze.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/29/2005
  • Location: South Daytona, FL
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Thu, 03/15/07 6:12 PM
0
Why would you even waste your money on one of those chain sub shops where the workers don't care about anything except thier shift being over ? Find a local shop or a mom & pop deli for a 100% better sangwich.

SgtHulka
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/19/2007
  • Location: Akron, OH
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 03/16/07 10:59 AM
0
I aggree with sk bob. We had a Jersey Mikes here in Akron, OH and it closed. It was better than Quiznos and Subway. However, I go a little ways up the road the this place called Ivans Deli. It's a mom and pop that does catering as well. He has a jar of homeade pickles on every able that you eat until your huge sandwich comes out. I'd much rather give him my money. And the pickles are awesome.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/29/2005
  • Location: South Daytona, FL
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Fri, 03/16/07 7:25 PM
0
SgtHulka, love the handle. " TRAINING SIR '

Barbarainnc
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/7/2004
  • Location: Laurinburg, NC
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 05/13/07 7:01 PM
0
I'd rather go to Jersey Mikes than Subway. The bread is better and I love the Original or the Roast Beef the best.

wlaurie
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/5/2006
  • Location: Ionia, MI
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? - Sun, 05/13/07 7:22 PM
0
None of these places can compare to Big John' s Subs. They're a chain, but haven't seen a lot of them around. The closest one to us is in Lansing. Anyway, they put on a lot of meat on their steak and cheese subs and have a great italian sauce. We used to live in Delaware, where you can get a decent cheesesteak and this is the only place in MI that even comes close to a good sub.I don't care for Subway at all and we recently got a Jimmy Johns in town that I've tried twice, but it wasn't good enough that I would reccommend. Same ol problem, lots of bread but not much substance.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 82