quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Scallion1

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

If I made ravioli with handmade pasta and filled it with artisanal ricotta and quail eggs, and you asked me to hold the sage butter sauce and put some good ol' ketchup on it, you wouldn't get it.

Having grown up in the food business -- my father was a "Purveyor Of Fine Meats To The Restaurant And Hotel Industry" (well, thats what it said on the sides of the trucks) -- and having the opportunity to be exposed to chefs of all stripes I think you're all whacko. And for that I thank you. You have to be to do what you do, deal with crazy customers, and still insist on turning out products that please the living hell out of us.

Now, if I promise not to try to substitute ketchup for the sage butter sauce, would you please explain how you use the quail eggs with the ricotta in your ravioli? It sounds decadent, and I'm always in the mood for decadence.

It seems you either shot a blank or you were refusing to tell me how you use the quail eggs with the ricotta.

aaarrgggghhh. i wrote a whole email on the subject. too tired, too stupid. will try again later. sorry.

wm.

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
  • Reward points : 0
RE: This kills me! - Sat, 06/4/05 3:31 PM
okay, Michael, let me try again.

take some best-quality ricotta, mix in some grated reggiano, some freshly-grated nutmeg, season well with salt and pepper and a touch of cayenne and, if you wish, some finely-minced fresh herbs (tarragon, chervil, chives, italian parsley, in my order of preference).

lay out a few ravioli wrappers - i use rounds about 2.5" in diameter. and, by the way, if you can't roll or buy paper-thin pasta, don't make this recipe, or cheat and use dumpling wrappers. put about a heaping tablespoon or so of the ricotta mixture in the middle of each wrapper using a spoon or a small icecream scoop or a piping bag. make a hollow in the middle of the ricotta and put in a raw quail egg yolk. wet the edges of the bottom skin with water and then place another skin over it, covering the cheese, and crimp it well all around to seal it.

don't try to do more than five or six at a time, or the pasta will start drying out and you'll have a disaster.

to serve, boil the ravs in well-salted water, lift them out with a spider and sauce them with brown sage butter or (here's the decadent part) a little very light and silky cream sauce and shave white truffles over them at the table. they should be cooked just enough that the yolk is still quite runny when you cut into the rav. i would serve two or three, depending on size, for a first course.

now, i'm waiting for the groans of disgust. anyone who's repelled at the thought of raw quail egg yolks. if that's you, sorry, and you don't have to eat it. and to return to the thread, this is the kind of dish that, if a customer wanted it with the yolks fully cooked or wanted to substitute a tomato sauce, he'd be told that it would not be done that way. it would destroy the whole point of the dish, and i'm not about to do this to something so delicate.

so start rolling the pasta, Michael...

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: This kills me! - Sat, 06/4/05 4:49 PM
Sounds DEE--LICIOUS!!!! I am really close to finishing my house and getting my kitchen stuff out of storage---including my pasta rller---will definatly try this! Putting it in my Roadfood recipe program right now!!!----and btw---i wouldnt serve it anyway other then the way it was supposede to be done either!!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17845
RE: This kills me! - Sun, 06/5/05 3:17 PM
So, you're saying I can't use wonton wrappers?

That sounds absolutely wonderful -- except for the truffles (I'm allergic). My only problem will be to let the bobwhites lay their eggs before I flush them. I'm going to have to retrain the dogs.

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 12:44 AM
Allergic to truffles? that's like having a girlfriend who's allergic to diamonds...

all fungi or specifically truffles, and both black and white?

it's really just as good with sage butter, Michael.

wellllll, almost as good.

plenty good.

angielynnscott
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 11:28 AM
I agree...I worked with a prima donna chef for a while. What a jerk. I say if a customer wants his/hers food cooked a certain way or a subsitution made or a food item not made for the dish, let them. Some Chef's take things sooooo personally. These people may have to save for a week or a month to enjoy a meal out. Who are we to spoil it for them.[:I
quote:
Originally posted by 1chef

Why would anyone running a business not want to give a paying customer what they want? Your not going to make any more money off that item if they eat it the way you like it.
Maybe explain to them that if its cooked past a certain point, you won't be responsible for them not liking it. or not paying for it.
Otherwise, it sounds like a great way to loose a customer.

Michael Hoffman
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 11:38 AM
quote:

Allergic to truffles? that's like having a girlfriend who's allergic to diamonds...

all fungi or specifically truffles, and both black and white?

it's really just as good with sage butter, Michael.

wellllll, almost as good.

plenty good.

All fungi, except for the fungi that goes with fish in the Caribbean. Of course, that's because that fungi isn't fungi -- but you knew that.

Actually, I love a sage butter sauce, and I usually make it when I do my own ravioli -- whether with my own pasta sheets or wonton wrappers. Now I'm going to have to get some quail eggs, and I have a source.

angielynnscott
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 12:56 PM
Scallion1

Why do you use quail egg vs. chicken. Also, is there a difference in taste?
quote:

okay, Michael, let me try again.

take some best-quality ricotta, mix in some grated reggiano, some freshly-grated nutmeg, season well with salt and pepper and a touch of cayenne and, if you wish, some finely-minced fresh herbs (tarragon, chervil, chives, italian parsley, in my order of preference).

lay out a few ravioli wrappers - i use rounds about 2.5" in diameter. and, by the way, if you can't roll or buy paper-thin pasta, don't make this recipe, or cheat and use dumpling wrappers. put about a heaping tablespoon or so of the ricotta mixture in the middle of each wrapper using a spoon or a small icecream scoop or a piping bag. make a hollow in the middle of the ricotta and put in a raw quail egg yolk. wet the edges of the bottom skin with water and then place another skin over it, covering the cheese, and crimp it well all around to seal it.

don't try to do more than five or six at a time, or the pasta will start drying out and you'll have a disaster.

to serve, boil the ravs in well-salted water, lift them out with a spider and sauce them with brown sage butter or (here's the decadent part) a little very light and silky cream sauce and shave white truffles over them at the table. they should be cooked just enough that the yolk is still quite runny when you cut into the rav. i would serve two or three, depending on size, for a first course.

now, i'm waiting for the groans of disgust. anyone who's repelled at the thought of raw quail egg yolks. if that's you, sorry, and you don't have to eat it. and to return to the thread, this is the kind of dish that, if a customer wanted it with the yolks fully cooked or wanted to substitute a tomato sauce, he'd be told that it would not be done that way. it would destroy the whole point of the dish, and i'm not about to do this to something so delicate.

so start rolling the pasta, Michael...

Michael Hoffman
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 1:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angielynnscott

Scallion1

n[quote

You'd have to make one very large ravioli to hold the yolk of a chicken egg. There is a difference in taste.

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 2:07 PM

i guess those prima donna chefs you speak so disparagingly about must not have taught you very much. a raviolo that would hold a chicken yolk? without breaking? my my my, such a question.

-Tricky-
  • Total Posts : 305
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 2:20 PM
But Scallion, shouldn't you do exactly as the guest wants, even if s/he is a crackpot? They are afterall the guest, and you're being the business owner doesn't mean you get to make the rules. You should be at their mercy, and begging everyone to come eat in your restaurant, even though you'd truly rather be a lot slower and catering to the guests who you want in your seats.

sarcasm intended!

bassrocker4u2
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 5:50 PM
i understand both sides of this coin... the difference is the goal of the establishment. some need every dollar they can muster, so they are at the mercy of every whim. its humiliating, butso be it. like scallion, i agree the establishment can and does reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. not just drunks. we work dam hard to master our creations, and we feel they should be properly enjoyed. let me try it in a bold way..... if i were raising kittens for sale, i would not sell them to someone who wanted to use them as .....baseballs.
get the point?? thats how we feel....heehee

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: This kills me! - Mon, 06/6/05 6:44 PM
Tricky, I can live with someone asking me to go lighty on the Cajun seasoning, but if they ask me to leave garlic out of my chicken-fried steak breading they'd better mosey on down the road. When they start asking to change the entire taste of a product the customer has gone too far IMHO. It creats a snowball effect of everthing on your menu changing daily at someone's whim. You also run the risk of preparing a product to the specs of someone and that person sharing with someone that doesn't enjoy the same taste. Nope, if I have a product that falls on it's face it'll be my product. Not a customer's.

-Tricky-
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 12:12 AM
Slick and bassrocker, I'm on your side. I was being a smart-aleck.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 2:59 AM
I'm with Scallion on this one... Though it never hurts to ask, but the food is prepared to be presented the way the "Chef" wants it.. His years of work comes togethar to deliver a flavor for you to appreciate. If you need to bury this flavor in something like ketchup, is no different than adding sparkling water or juice to an expensive bottle of vino.. (I dare you to try this at a vineyard)...

-Tricky-
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 6:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

When they start asking to change the entire taste of a product the customer has gone too far IMHO. It creats a snowball effect of everthing on your menu changing daily at someone's whim. You also run the risk of preparing a product to the specs of someone and that person sharing with someone that doesn't enjoy the same taste.

That was very well said.

angielynnscott
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 10:28 AM
As I said, not even to post a question is safe. As you said, I'm not smart enough to know the answer. My my my what an answer. I have had enough of your kind of people in the kitchen[B)
quote:

i guess those prima donna chefs you speak so disparagingly about must not have taught you very much. a raviolo that would hold a chicken yolk? without breaking? my my my, such a question.

-Tricky-
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 10:42 AM
quote:

As I said, not even to post a question is safe. As you said, I'm not smart enough to know the answer. My my my what an answer. I have had enough of your kind of people in the kitchen

And maybe "his kind of people" have had enough of "your kind of people" in HIS restaurant.

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 11:34 AM
I purchased some frozen Cloud burgers from Rochester Meats in Rochester, MN. They normally don’t sell to the public but I happen to be in the day they we’re selling to their employees, so I got in on it. I think they are delicious.

angielynnscott
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 3:37 PM
Sorry guys, I give up. I need to stay off this topic. I work with a "PD" everyday this is why I get upset. Can't beat 'em, join 'em and just deal with it.[:(
quote:
Originally posted by -Tricky-

quote:

As I said, not even to post a question is safe. As you said, I'm not smart enough to know the answer. My my my what an answer. I have had enough of your kind of people in the kitchen

And maybe "his kind of people" have had enough of "your kind of people" in HIS restaurant.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 6:42 PM
quote:

Sorry guys, I give up. I need to stay off this topic. I work with a "PD" everyday this is why I get upset. Can't beat 'em, join 'em and just deal with it.
quote:
Originally posted by -Tricky-

quote:

If your PD is that bad, QUIT! Or fire him... Gripeing about it here may give you a few moments of satisfaction, but wont help you in the long run....

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/7/05 8:26 PM
Oh, gee, angielynn, don't go. We'll miss you, and your insights. And we never got around to finding out what your real talents and skills are, other than whining and running down other people.

On your way out, please note that I was only too happy to write a lengthy email for Michael Hoffman about the ravioli. But if you START your posting by calling people names, don't expect courtesy in return.

You must be really a wonderful front of the house person with those people skills of yours.

Ta-ta.

angielynnscott
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/8/05 12:00 PM
You are right. I love this site and find it informative, I'm fairly new to this so...let me start over. Thanks

sho4go
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: This kills me! - Sat, 06/11/05 3:26 PM
One other thought on this subject. How much time do most of us spend on menu pricing. Once your menu is priced, how do you deal with the multitude of requests for subs, deletes or additions. Some of the response that I read here indicate that there is a train of thought that says, give the customer whatever they ask for. Well, after they have reconfigured your menu, how do you price those menu items to them. I don't have time to recalculate each item on the menu when someone wants to sub, delete or add. Some items are a given, salad instead of soup or muffin instead of croissant. But sometimes it reaches the ubsurd, i.e. fruit for chips on a taco salad. Where do you draw the line?

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: This kills me! - Sun, 06/12/05 8:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sho4go

Once your menu is priced, how do you deal with the multitude of requests for subs, deletes or additions.

Mine is an easy one. I use only one price for my sides, the highest one so subs are no problem in my store.

I do have daily specials where I include a free drink with the normal price of a meal. People ask if they get the drink price discounted if they drink water. That's an easy one, too. NO!

Caramel Copper
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: This kills me! - Tue, 06/21/05 8:56 PM
Ya'll will probably think I'm nuts but when I make a burger I pinch the middle between my thumb and index. It cooks even all the way through.

Copper

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 8:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Copper

Ya'll will probably think I'm nuts but when I make a burger I pinch the middle between my thumb and index. It cooks even all the way through.

Copper

Here we go again...

Caramel Copper
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 8:56 AM
quote:

quote:

Copper

Here we go again...

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft!

Copper

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 10:25 AM
All of a sudden, this thread reminds of me of an old saying....

"Never argue with idiots. They'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Caramel Copper
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 11:00 AM
Gee Stevekoe, hope you weren't referring to me. I was just givin ole Scallion a tweak this morning, twas meant in jest I assure you.
I was just commenting on the topic. If "they" order one WD just make a slight indention on top and bottom with a little pinch. They seem to stay juicey that way and come up the same time as the M. Just my $.02 worth.

Copper

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 2:19 PM
my post was a reflection on the occasionally acrimonious quality of earlier postings to this thread, and wasn't intended as a "tweak" to you.
and i have no interest in being "tweaked" by strangers.
go tweak your burgers.

Caramel Copper
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 2:40 PM

You quoted me, remember? I thought that made us at the very least on tweaking terms.
I have been reading so much here I have made the mistake of feeling as if I know some of you.

tweak-tweak,
Copper

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 3:22 PM
quote:

You quoted me, remember? I thought that made us at the very least on tweaking terms.
I have been reading so much here I have made the mistake of feeling as if I know some of you.

tweak-tweak,
Copper

at the very least, i'd guess you have an interesting and active social life with those attitudes.

CCJPO
  • Total Posts : 497
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 3:38 PM
We tried SCALLION's recipe this weekend. It was terrific. Fortunately we have a ready supply of quail eggs.

As a quality control taste test, we made sure we had some leftovers. The consensus was that the leftovers, while edible, were soggy, flavors were not as pronounced, nor as readily identifiable, nor as delicate. They were sort of all smooshed togeather. On a positive note the cats did like them.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 4:11 PM
quote:

Gee Stevekoe, hope you weren't referring to me.

I wasn't directing my comment at anyone, in particular. It was more pointed at the vitriolic tone of many posts, across many threads, of late. I am all about disagreement, but there has been such an air of negativity lately that it makes me wonder what is in the (hot dog) water...or the beans....or the BBQ...or whatever.

Caramel Copper
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 5:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Gee Stevekoe, hope you weren't referring to me.

I wasn't directing my comment at anyone, in particular. It was more pointed at the vitriolic tone of many posts, across many threads, of late. I am all about disagreement, but there has been such an air of negativity lately that it makes me wonder what is in the (hot dog) water...or the beans....or the BBQ...or whatever.

Maybe its just the heat, Stevekoe. This time of year folks wait until later to dine because it doesn't get dark until nine o'clock (here anyways). Plus, what young person wants to work in the kitchen on a summers day? :)So it feels like there is a longer period of expection...or stress. Anyways, its hard to read the expression behind the words sometimes. I'm generally quite positive, friendly, and cheerful. But then I go back and read one of my posts and think, "that could've been taken as smart-aleck."
And then there are those folks who aren't gonna let themselves be humored or cheered up. Perhaps they like it that way, not as far to fall so to speak.
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't want to step on any toes or feelings, but I'm no A$$-ki$$er either.

Copper

Caramel Copper
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 5:22 PM
quote:

quote:

tweak-tweak,
Copper

at the very least, i'd guess you have an interesting and active social life with those attitudes.

You'd be right.
Also your definition of tweaky is surely different than mine.

Copper

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Wed, 06/22/05 9:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CCJPO

We tried SCALLION's recipe this weekend. It was terrific. Fortunately we have a ready supply of quail eggs.

As a quality control taste test, we made sure we had some leftovers. The consensus was that the leftovers, while edible, were soggy, flavors were not as pronounced, nor as readily identifiable, nor as delicate. They were sort of all smooshed togeather. On a positive note the cats did like them.

glad you liked it. as far as left-overs, it wouldn't be my first choice. also, i've never been able to make more than we could eat, but maybe you don't like plus sizes.

now, some leftover bucatini amatriciana, or rigatoni alla panna - that's the fixin's for some good breakfast.

seriously, the pasta for that dish has to be, shall we say, ethereal, for the whole thing to work.

those must be some very sophisticated cats.

Scallion1
RE: This kills me! - Thu, 06/23/05 8:21 AM
All of you who were in on the early part of this thread, on either side, take a look at today's review, by Michael Stern, of Harmon's, a burger joint in Maine. This guy makes me seem like a pushover.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 99 of 99