Trailer or Cart

ohman
  • Total Posts : 262
  • Reward points : 0
Trailer or Cart - Sun, 05/8/05 10:37 AM
Here is a question for all of you. I have a hot dog cart but I have been thinking about buying a concession trailer. I am moving to either the midwest or to Texas here at the first of the month. I am going to be selling food full time this time instead of part time, so I am a bit nervous about this. What I am asking is this, if you were at a mall, flea market or on the side of the road and there was a hot dog cart on one corner and a concession trailer on the other corner, which would you buy from if they had the exact menu? I am trying to decide if I should save the money from the trailer or bite the bullet and just do it.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Trailer or Cart - Sun, 05/8/05 2:45 PM
It would depend more on convenience than anything else, all things being equal Id personally go to the cart, on the probably erroneous assumption they need the traffic more than the trailer. The local Home Depots all have concession trailers out front, who seem to do a bang up business. If you think its time to grow Id say go for it. Dont forget a trailer requires a larger pull vehicle, if your current tow vehicle isn't large enough you may want to consider a walk in style concession van.

cowboy bob 2
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Trailer or Cart - Sun, 05/8/05 9:37 PM
If you go for a trailer like I did, You will add more items, and maybe do what I did. I added 2 x6 ft to the frt of my trailer, think 5th wheel. This week I am adding 3x6ft wide to the rear of trailer. I just bought a freezer 5cu ft for Ice Cream. I just bought an Air conditioner today. I am starting American Fries this week too. It never ends. 50% of customers are Truck Drivers. 40% are workers associated with the auction, They employ 800 workers. 10% recon workers and general public. Can you say $0,000.00 a week in sales one week and more every other week. I now have a parttime employee @ 10.00 per hr. He is a cleaning nut and cooking fool. My new location is a Gold Mine and it is For Sale for a mere $21.000 this week, The price is going up next month. Now back to your original deal. I started out as a Hot Dog vendor. I graduated to a short order concession trailer. I worked this Sat from 9 till 2 pm. at 12:30 I had orders for 10 Cheese Burgers, I cook on Order Taken. I told the 3 customers it will be about 10 min., They always say, OK i'll go find another car and be back. I cook them regularly, when they are done I wrap them in Alumin foil and put them on my steam table top and this keeps them warm and moist. They could go to a Mickey Dees about 1/2 mile away. but they don't. I sell about 150 Hot Dogs a day. 25 Burgers. Sodas up the wazoo. If I would find a buyer, I will go into the trailer manuf. business. I know what you need. Mine is wired with 220 coming in. A short homemade wire will let me run on 120. I could go on forever. Cowboy Bob 2

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 698
RE: Trailer or Cart - Sun, 05/8/05 10:32 PM

LOCATION!!!!!!!!!!! lOCATION!!!!!!!!! lOCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hefried
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Trailer or Cart - Mon, 05/9/05 11:33 AM
i think a trailer would be better for you. what if it's rainin'? good luk

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Trailer or Cart - Mon, 05/9/05 7:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hefried

Yup, plus you get more equipment/storage, then there's the longer operating season!

garryd451
RE: Trailer or Cart - Mon, 05/9/05 8:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
Originally posted by hefried

Yup, plus you get more equipment/storage, then there's the longer operating season!

I not joking, Location is very very important, I knew 2 people that had cars, one that had a trailer and one had a Bread delivery type truck. Only 1 of the 4 made a go of it, the 2 people that had Carts, lasted 3 years each(both were in different towns), the man with the truck last 4 years and gve up, the man with the trialer did it for 6 years, made a lot of money, retired and sold the Trailer for more than He paid for it becasue his contracts for his season went with the trailer!. The other 3 had no contract, so they just went where they could get in or street corners that the local authorities allowed!

UncleVic
RE: Trailer or Cart - Mon, 05/9/05 9:01 PM
I hear ya Gary! I dont argue location one bit!!! Ask CowboyBob... We chatted via email from about a couple of his old locations, and then where he sits now - he's hit a gold mine! But with a trailer, my thoughts where you have more steam table options, then the grill and/or fryer if you wanted one.. Have many more opportunities at your fingertips! I'd prefer at least a 3 bay steam table ( 3 full size pans).. You can have food preped and ready to rock and roll as it's ordered! You can offer so much more to say the least... Much better for the bottom line! Then also in the summer you can run AC and in the cold months Heat as needed... Make it for more of an enjoyable work zone to say the least... And when I say trailer, I'm not talking one of them huge concession stand types you see at the carnival or fair.. I'm talking a working one small enough to tote around easily and be able to sneak in the same spaces a full blown cart would fit... Many many trailer options out there, just picking the one that suits your needs and desires...

garryd451
RE: Trailer or Cart - Mon, 05/9/05 9:07 PM
quote:

I hear ya Gary! I dont argue location one bit!!! Ask CowboyBob... We chatted via email from about a couple of his old locations, and then where he sits now - he's hit a gold mine! But with a trailer, my thoughts where you have more steam table options, then the grill and/or fryer if you wanted one.. Have many more opportunities at your fingertips! I'd prefer at least a 3 bay steam table ( 3 full size pans).. You can have food preped and ready to rock and roll as it's ordered! You can offer so much more to say the least... Much better for the bottom line! Then also in the summer you can run AC and in the cold months Heat as needed... Make it for more of an enjoyable work zone to say the least... And when I say trailer, I'm not talking one of them huge concession stand types you see at the carnival or fair.. I'm talking a working one small enough to tote around easily and be able to sneak in the same spaces a full blown cart would fit... Many many trailer options out there, just picking the one that suits your needs and desires...

I think we are saying the same thing, of the 4 ones I mentioned, only the guy with the trailer made big money at it. But that was because He had contracts to get into the best and biggest fairs in Sotuwestern Michigan and Northern Indiana. The other 3 never had contracts with any festivals or fair.

The Friend with the Trailer did his homework, He found out that all big and money making fairs and festivals had waiting lists to get get a site at that event, in fact, the waiting lists was quite long. So he bought a trailer from a man that already had a contract and site at all of these events.

That's why I kept saying location.

UncleVic
RE: Trailer or Cart - Mon, 05/9/05 10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:

I think we are saying the same thing, of the 4 ones I mentioned, only the guy with the trailer made big money at it. But that was because He had contracts to get into the best and biggest fairs in Sotuwestern Michigan and Northern Indiana. The other 3 never had contracts with any festivals or fair.

The Friend with the Trailer did his homework, He found out that all big and money making fairs and festivals had waiting lists to get get a site at that event, in fact, the waiting lists was quite long. So he bought a trailer from a man that already had a contract and site at all of these events.

That's why I kept saying location.

WISE MAN to say the least! Thanks for clarifying that!