POS equiptment recommendations

kareno
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
POS equiptment recommendations - Thu, 05/12/05 12:24 PM
Getting back into restaurant biz after 5 year absence. Looking for those who use either a touch screen or other PC connected software for sales/tax/timecards.

I'll have an order counter and am looking for something that wirelessly shoots the customer order to the kitchen for printing.

Not looking to spend a fortune either, just something that works :)

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: POS equiptment recommendations - Fri, 05/13/05 12:04 PM
I see nobody has repsonded to your request yet, so I'll tickle this thread a little..

Look on Ebay... I've seens tons of POS systems, or even if you just want the software and build your own for fairly reasonable prices. Only thing with buying a used system, you dont get the sales and setup support... We had a system at a bar / restaurant I worked at. I tried to add some modifiers to the systems menu... TALK ABOUT A PAIN.. Had the manual and everything, couldnt get them to go in. Finally called the sales guy and he came and entered them for us... Nice having someone around that knows whats going on with them. But thats been about 13 or so years now, they may have simplified the systems by now, but make sure you check first!

kareno
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: POS equiptment recommendations - Sun, 05/15/05 8:06 AM
Yeah that's why I put this here. Must not be alot of folks with POS systems or no interest to talk to a 'newbie'.

I see all the systems out there too, but am looking for someone who loves their system enough to give it a recommendation.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: POS equiptment recommendations - Sun, 05/15/05 10:39 PM
Kareno, it has nothing with being a newbie! It's the old farts around here that get ignored! ha ha...
Good luck on the system! The ones I've used have been Panasonic systems, though software has varied...

hottrix
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: POS equiptment recommendations - Mon, 06/13/05 6:37 AM
We've successfully used http://www.supperclubexpress.com for over a year now. It's fully web enabled so we can work from home and our reservation phone person can work from the road (it's cell phone accessible). As we were nearly broke when we opened we loved the ability to get supperclub express for free and spend the remaining money on inventory.

hottrix
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: POS equiptment recommendations - Tue, 06/14/05 4:52 AM
Thanks pdxyyz!
And that's why I love supper club express. Even us servers can call them if the manager is not available. They seem to be awake 24/7. From what I see is we only need a cheap PC hooked up to the web and a printer and it does it all.
I asked our MOD about it and she said that the support is free and the updates are done online so nobody actually has to come in for maintanance and upgrades.
As for hardware upgrades she feels that since the software is actually web-based the computers do not need to be top of the line. I can't tell the difference. Actually it's confusing:
It seems that this web-based SCX is actually faster than the micros I work on at my other job and I guess that's what you refer to: old machines running locally vs. old machines running tight software on the web.