What to do about keeping track of patron orders?

Junior Burger
2005/05/18 16:59:31
I've just taken over a small restaurant, that has no system what so ever for keeping track of customer orders - ie. Customer places an order with the waiter, waiter takes a slip to the kitchen, waiter rings up the order on a basic till, customer pays. How exactly would I keep track of which receipt in the till goes with which drinks/food order in the kitchen/bar/waiters book?
Thanks, any help will be really appreciated. Unfortunetly, this place cannot afford a computerised system at the moment, all thanks to staff theft and the sort.
cowboy bob 2
Cheeseburger
RE: What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2005/05/18 17:56:09
What is your job at restraunt? Maybe you should ring up sales or hire a retired person to ring up all sales. IMHO
Cowboy Bob 2
jog5000
Junior Burger
RE: What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2005/05/18 18:00:19
I'm head Chef/manager. Quite a mess up really, as waiters are in the habit of not ringing up orders, and are constantly just giving things away. I usually catch them when I'm not cooking. Its when I'm not around that a lot happens
klkruger
Junior Burger
RE: What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2005/05/18 21:26:29
jog--

I'm assuming you're using duplicate tickets right? You're matching kitchen spindled receipts with till receipts? Do you have food/drinks/other stuff out in FOH that the waiters can serve without you seeing? Is that what gets served for free or is it something else?
Riss
Junior Burger
Re:What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2012/05/25 10:23:37
What kind of cash register do you have? Can it link to a remote printer that prints a duplicate in the kitchen? Each order put in the register should have a table number entered (even if it is a dummy $0 item corresponding to the table the customer ordered from.) 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2012/05/25 10:31:04
Sugar...that thread is from 2005.
Riss
Junior Burger
Re:What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2012/05/25 10:35:41
haha... ah, well... saw the 05... guess I figured it was MAY. Thanks for the props on me talking to a wall :) 
Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
Re:What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2012/05/25 11:35:14
I'm confused why he didn't fire anybody that was milking the till. :-/
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2012/05/25 15:30:03
He could have been fired for not doing that.

Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
Re:What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2012/05/27 11:32:28
a chef/manager asking questions like this??? come on guys, just gotta ask how he got that job...? can we all say dishwasher to executive chef/manager in 2 shifts...roflmao...thats too funny
Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
Re:What to do about keeping track of patron orders? 2012/05/27 11:49:29
still laughing but really that doesnt help any other person who finds them selves overwelmed with their new found position.
how about 'nothing comes out of the kitchen without a ticket' and when wait staff says 'i need a ..., you say, gimme a ticket. put up a sign right after the employee meeting at every shift. no ticket, no food. tickets have to have a min of 2 copies. kitchen tickets get matched up after shifts to make sure staff is not pocketing cash and trashing their 'only' ticket copy. food is made in order that it come in unless theres a major issue or on the fly problem.

this would be a good place to start. not all restaurants have a POS system with printers so this is pretty basic stuff here. good luck and id love to hear which car wash the manager chef is working now.