Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/27 21:35:27 (permalink)
My favorite olive oils are from Italy, it's what I grew up with. My favorite region of Italy is Umbria.

Lately I have been enjoying the designated oils from Alberto Cipolloni, in the town of Foligno near Perugia. Strong clean flavor with a low after-burn.

Great on roasted bread with a drizzle of aged Aceto.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 09:58:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

Guess I'll add to the posts, even though the original posting is over a year old.
Goya is a wonderfully fruity, tasty olive oil, and reasonably priced. One of the issues that has plagued the high-end oils from Italy has been the fact that some of these well-know brands have been known to blend low-cost Spanish and Greek olive oils with the Italian ones. Of course, the price will be much higher!!

So, buyer beware...be sure to check the labels of oils that you purchase. Just because it has an Italian name, and an Italian label, does not mean that you are getting pure Italian olive oil.

Even in Italy, they will consume Spanish (and Greek) olive oil, acknowledging that it is perfectly acceptable, frequently of good quality, and still cheaper than Italian oil
Timely resurection of and old post.
Apparently there is a group of men on trial in Italy at this time for passing off inferior Olive Oil as premium grade. Mixing or blending or whatever.
Who would have thunk a group of guys would do something like that?
Chow Jim
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 10:48:02 (permalink)
Some years back, my wife and I were driving along a country road in Tuscany, not sure of where we were. I saw a guy in a field standing next to his tractor (a John Deere--he was very proud of it!) and pulled over to ask directions. It turned out that he spoke good English so we chatted. He was an olive grower who produced his own oil. He invited us to stop by his little store nearby where he pressed and sold his oil.

Well, I've never gotten over that oil--it was the first and only time I tasted fresh-pressed oil, as opposed to tasting it after bottling and shipping to the states. What a difference! Like a fresh-picked apple vs. one in a supermarket. The freshness, fruitiness and peppery-ness was astounding. I brought a gallon home.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 12:18:26 (permalink)
Apparently the Italian government is worried about damage to the reputation of its olive oil by adulterated and mislabeled product. This story is from the Italian news agency ANSA:
http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2008-10-24_124260509.html
analei
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 541
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 12:23:48 (permalink)
I rather enjoy PC Splendido Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Cold Pressed.

I used to be a fan of light olive oils until a few years ago when i discovered that the stonger flavour was really quite enjoyable.

Though, i do realise one can use a light olive oil for cooking, i prefer the extra virgin for when i am sauce and shrimp scampi (extra virgin and butter--mmmm).
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 12:46:42 (permalink)
That's the one David.
Now if they can crack down on San Marzarno tomatos. Chow Jim
WVCitySlicker
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 17:05:17 (permalink)
I like Supremo Olive Oil, it's pressed from olives that have already been pitted, it's a little bit more pricey but has a nice light flavor and lasts longer than regular olive oil that's made from olives with the seeds still inside.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 17:58:35 (permalink)
My favorite EVOO's are Bariani from Sacramento, California. Nicholas Alziari from Nice, France and an unbranded EVOO I order from, Poggio Etrusco. An independent family olive orchard in Tuscany.
I also like Frantoia from Sicily. That's the brand Mario Molto uses. I really like the Sicilian oils. They are darker and stronger and have a more pronounced flavor
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 21:42:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

My favorite EVOO's are Bariani from Sacramento, California. Nicholas Alziari from Nice, France and an unbranded EVOO I order from, Poggio Etrusco. An independent family olive orchard in Tuscany.
I also like Frantoia from Sicily. That's the brand Mario Molto uses. I really like the Sicilian oils. They are darker and stronger and have a more pronounced flavor

Twin, Cali EVOO is very hard to come by in my area. I hear many good things about the quality, but very pricey.

Also I am a big fan of Greek EVOO's
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 21:58:35 (permalink)
Goya!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 22:32:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joerogo

quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

Twin, Cali EVOO is very hard to come by in my area. I hear many good things about the quality, but very pricey.

Joe~
You can order Bariani from their website: www.barianioliveoil.com
Write Emanuelle Bariani. He will be happy to send you oil with an invoice and you can send him the money AFTER you get your oil. Tell him Michael Lieberman in Dallas referred you. We usually buy a case of 12 one liter bottles and sell them to my friends and some neighbors. I Just ordered a case and all my friends bought up the 12 bottles in one day. They all know how good it is. My (wholesale) price for 12 one liter bottles is $16.85 a bottle including shipping. However, I'm not sure you will get the same price for just a bottle or two.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 22:43:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joerogo
[.

Joe, I also like Greek olive oils. Some chefs consider Greek EVOO the best in the world. Especially their noted, organic oils. Just "Google", Greek organic olive oil and you'll see many vendors selling them.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/28 22:47:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TerrierMom

Goya!

Goya EVOO was just rated, the best olive oil by Cook's Illustrated magazine. And, I respect their opinions.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/29 08:54:34 (permalink)
Twinwillow, Thank you for the info. That's about what I pay for Italian Oils. I order the Cipolloni oils direct from Italy, the shipping kills me. I will be placing an order today with Bariani, again Thank You.

DiBruno brothers in Philly always has a nice selection of Greek oils. I usually go for the unfiltered.
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Favorite brands of extra-virgin olive oil 2008/10/29 12:36:06 (permalink)
i've used Athenos for cooking, and thought it was a good buy. Zoe is expensive, but worth it for dipping and salad dressings. my favorite all-around extra virgin olive oil is Fairway's Arbequina. after all these recommendations, i will be buying Goya tonight when i do my food shopping!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1