squire jacks

Cheeseburger
2005/05/23 09:38:00
Ok...back in the late 70's there was a fish restraunt called squire jacks down the road from where i lived. I remember they had a few locations in cincinnati but was wondering if anyone knew anything about the history of that chain...any help would be appreciated.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: squire jacks 2005/05/23 23:23:21
quote:
Originally posted by startrooper00

Ok...back in the late 70's there was a fish restraunt called squire jacks down the road from where i lived. I remember they had a few locations in cincinnati but was wondering if anyone knew anything about the history of that chain...any help would be appreciated.

We had one down the road from us in Southgate, KY. The only other one I remember was in Florence, but my geography was somewhat stunted at the time. Squire Jacks was the first place I ever drove to and bought myself dinner. It was as great then as I remembered it as a kid, but they closed the doors forever only a few weeks later. I can remember walking home from bowling and stopping in for a basket of crumbs. I didn't know at the time that "crumbs" were just fried batter. (They were great with a splash of malt vinegar.)
startrooper00
Cheeseburger
RE: squire jacks 2005/05/24 23:57:22
Wallyum:

Where was the Squire Jacks located in Southgate...and yeah, I remember the one in Florence..It was in a strip center on Dixie Highway near Thriftway and United Dairy Farmers...
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: squire jacks 2005/05/25 00:49:51
quote:
Originally posted by startrooper00

Wallyum:

Where was the Squire Jacks located in Southgate...and yeah, I remember the one in Florence..It was in a strip center on Dixie Highway near Thriftway and United Dairy Farmers...

On US 27 (Alexandria Pike), next to the Dinner Bell, which is also gone and had GREAT fish. Both of these were just north of St. Therese Church. The Squire Jacks building still stands. It's the bar next to the car wash. (Watched a couple of great Monday Night Football games there back in the 80's when the Bengals occasionally got monday night games.)
Billyjoe
Junior Burger
RE: squire jacks 2009/04/05 10:08:37
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12254925@N08/3371715824/
I remember the place, they had the best of anyone, And man did they have Big scraps! Wow.
Sure miss Squire Jacks! They use to wrap the fish in faux news paper and it was easy to read
then lay that in logo square paper basket. The fish was long, out of this world.  Sure wish they
were still in business. No one was better outside going to England.
post edited by Billyjoe - 2009/04/05 10:13:20
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: squire jacks 2009/04/05 21:51:17

Ive never seen one myself.  I do miss the OLD Arthur Treachers.  I remeber going to one in Denver in 69.  They had the best chips Ive ever eaten and served in a cone of newspaper.  I dont remember the fish but Ill never forget the fries!.  Rough cut pieces of poataoe with the skin on.  Fresh made and not a frozen product.
Billyjoe
Junior Burger
RE: squire jacks 2009/04/16 05:22:17
Response to ( brittneal )
Arthur Treachers. Not sure if you know? There are still a couple left. I notice your state. There are suppose to be some still around and maybe not to far from you?  Yes, I agree...Your correct brittneal, they were excellent!  I remember Arthur Treachers well.  I'm just an old fart. LOL.  see link > http://www.arthurtreachers.com/locations.htm

brittneal
RE: squire jacks 2009/04/16 12:44:44
My first experience at treachers was at a stand alone bldg on Broadway in Englewood co.  That was awesome.  Then I was a kid and once in a blue moon I could afford to get the "chips"  But at a buck a week allowance well fish didnt happen.  Tried to talk the folks into going but that was in around 69 and fish and chips hadnt caught on yet.  I went again in 77 to one at a strip mall and had a terrible meal.  The fish was actually still raw and frozen in the middle and, "gasp: plain old fries.  I was heart broken.
I live in Ohio now and dont remember seeing one any where.

Thanks for the input, BJ
Mary54
Junior Burger
RE: squire jacks 2014/12/05 16:15:43
I started working for Squire Jack's fish & Chips in 1968, i was 15.  After 2 years i became Asst. Manager until 1977.  I worked at the Silverton Store, but floated to other Stores, Roselawn, Hartwell, and surrounding areas when needed.  There were a total of 7 stores.  The owners, Mr. Whaling Sr., Mr. Whaling Jr., and Mr. Guttman had their main office down stairs. Radio Shack was next door. Some times i still make the fishcakes, which are really good. Arthur Treachur's was no competition, But when Long John Silver's came along, it wiped us out.  They went out of business.  Mr. Whaling Sr., the founder, was the sweetest man i'v ever known, and was a great pleasure to work for!!  I have a lot of good memories working for that company!!!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: squire jacks 2014/12/05 17:34:39
welcome to Roadfood, Mary 54 of Cincinnati!

Mary54
Junior Burger
RE: squire jacks 2014/12/09 09:20:15
Thank you, Mr. Jackson!!
jmckee
RE: squire jacks 2014/12/09 11:09:56
Welcome aboard Mary. Make sure to check out the Where to Eat in Cincy / NKy board, one of Roadfood's most active.