Cheeseburgers for Breakfast

Post
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
2005/05/31 11:30:02
They're some days I just have a hankering for a greasy double cheeseburger in the morning. I'm not talking about the fast food chains. Kewpee's Sandwich Shop (Racine, WI) begins their breakfast day at 7:00am with fresh hand pounded burgers. Nothing like a double cheeseburger for that morning commute. Anyone else experience this roadfood desire? www.kewpee.com
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 11:43:09
Chicago: How ironic!!! I prepared a great cheeseburger this morning to break the fast. It is something I do several times a year. I used a tip from another poster advising using two patties and put cheese, onions and whatever in between and pressing the edges together. I had a little difficulty acknowledging when it was complete but I was pleased with the results. It turned out real juicy. Being retired puts way too much time on my hands.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bonzmoose
Junior Burger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 11:43:43
Are you kidding?!? My favorite breakfast is either a good hamburger or an even better cheeseburger. To my way of thinking a burger is much better than bacon & eggs anyday--I'll take my bacon on my cheeseburger, thank you. Never been to Kewpee's Sandwich Shop, living in northwest Louisiana it's a long drive, but I have my places closer to home. The next time we're in their part of the world we'll stop in and check them out.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 11:50:57
I knew in my heart, there were others out there enjoying breakfast burgers. Paul, I'll give your cooking method a try in the near future.
CSD
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 12:09:36
In my youth,i spent many a night at the home of my best friend, who made THE best breakfast sandwich i ever ate---a "Club"--3 slices of toasted white bread,--bottom layer--mayo-fried egg,bacon and tomato--top layer cheese burger with a slice of fried ham,a little Gouldens,a splash of Tabasco and a bit of Ketchup!!! Awesome way to start a day! Still do it every now and then---although i get funny looks from folks that think the am is for pancakes,scrambled eggs or cereal! How boring!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 12:21:47
One of the joys of living in an area with a lot of all night diners is that there is never a wrong time for any meal. Sometimes I'll have breakfast for dinner, sometimes a burger for breakfast. Now if I could just get some of the local pizza places to open for breakfast I'd be all set!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 12:35:56
Hey, frozen White Castle cheeseburgers are good 24/7/365
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 13:37:19
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzmoose

Are you kidding?!? My favorite breakfast is either a good hamburger or an even better cheeseburger. . . . Never been to Kewpee's Sandwich Shop, living in northwest Louisiana it's a long drive, but I have my places closer to home.
Sonic serves its full menu whenever it's open, if you can live w/ a chain burger. But where are your own places in NW LA? I live there also.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 13:53:23
I've been known to get a Tommy's chili burger for an early breakfast. Yum!
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 14:01:17
To my way of thinking, a good grilled cheese sandwich is a proper start. A cheeseburger would fit in fine. Some mornings, eggs staring up and some wimpy bacon strips is just not the way to go. A good greasy burger kind of gets things chugging along.
Bonzmoose
Junior Burger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 15:47:02
Rick F. Drive up I-49 about 60 miles to I-20 then over to the Airline Exit, South to Darrell's Grill. They have two sizes of burgers with or w/o cheese, bacon etc. Or, if it's past 10 a.m. head north to Hwy 80 and the Dee-Light-Ful Cafe. Their burgers are huge and absolutely yummy. Or, just off Youree Dr on Southfield to the Southfield Grill. Of course if I lived where you are I'd be eating those delicious meat pies for breakfast but I'd pour a cheese sauce made with Ro-Tel over them just for fun. And, I agree, Sonic ain't bad if all else fails.
essvee
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/05/31 16:29:53
I used to have a White Castle poster that read: Hamburgers for breakfast? Why not? With a big picture of a ratburger, all glisten-y and good.
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/02 12:03:53
To my way of thinking a cheeseburger for breakfast ranks right up there with an italian sausage with peppers and onions sandwich, which I discussed in another thread. I also enjoy omlets,bacon and hash browns for dinner, just because someone somewhere labeled a food breakfast or dinner doesn't mean we all have to toe the line!! Sundancer when I make an inside/out burger I cook them 5 minutes per side over high heat with the 1st side covered if cooking in a frying pan, a little longer for the wifes welldone, if the cheese starts to oooooze its probably done...
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/02 12:31:23
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Chicago: How ironic!!! I prepared a great cheeseburger this morning to break the fast. It is something I do several times a year. I used a tip from another poster advising using two patties and put cheese, onions and whatever in between and pressing the edges together. I had a little difficulty acknowledging when it was complete but I was pleased with the results. It turned out real juicy. Being retired puts way too much time on my hands.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


I'll take credit for that method! Next time add thinly sliced(fresh)mushrooms. If you eat them that is, I can't imagine that you don't.
vegas
Hamburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/02 13:33:54

the Family Diner in Norwalk CT offers both cheeseburger and hamburger as a meat accompaniment to the standard bacon, sausage, ham, etc. with eggs on their menu
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/02 14:42:51
My brother swears by greasy cheeseburgers as a cure for a hangover--and he should know!
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/02 15:25:51
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Hey, frozen White Castle cheeseburgers are good 24/7/365


No need for the frozen ones, they sell them at the restaurants 24/7 as well. They have breakfast sandwiches too but you can always get a cheeseburger. In another twist, at least one of the White Castles here in Columbus is now selling breakfast starting at 11:30 pm.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/02 17:01:52
There's a place I go to in Melrose Park, IL, before Bears games. It's a very simple diner called the River Forest Grill (used to be the Gossage Grill). Cheeseburgers and eggs sunnyside up. Break open the yolks and dip the burgers in. Perfect for a pre-football meal, or a hangover.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/02 17:18:06
Hamburgers are a yummy breakfast. My Mom made me a steak sandwich for breakfast for years since I can't eat eggs. (steak-umm with cheese on a bun! YUMMMMMM)
I also like PB&J, tuna, basically any kind of sandwich no matter what time of day or night.

Cereal is best as a late night snack!
Rab Dalas
Junior Burger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/08 03:57:10
In Liberty, SC, Joy's Cafe opens at 5am and despite an extensive breakfast menu, cheeseburgers seem to be the big breakfast there. The burgers are worth eating anytime, but at 6 in the morning, they're just plain perfect.

Me-Maw's between Pendleton and Anderson, SC also offers their full menu from opening on, but some customers and even some employees look at you like you're crazy when you order cheeseburgers or hot dogs. And dumping on hot sauce? Some people actually look sick.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/13 14:32:11
Back in the '80s I lived in Hillside IL and worked in Oak Brook, and my morning commute took me past D's Diggity Dog at the southeast corner of Butterfield and Midwest. Every so often I'd stop and grab a super char-burger with bacon and cheese and eat it when I got to work, much to the chagrin of my coworkers...

Brad O.
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/13 21:28:45
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

Back in the '80s I lived in Hillside IL and worked in Oak Brook, and my morning commute took me past D's Diggity Dog at the southeast corner of Butterfield and Midwest. Every so often I'd stop and grab a super char-burger with bacon and cheese and eat it when I got to work, much to the chagrin of my coworkers...

Brad O.


Hillside- Q's, Round Up, Ramondi's Bakery and the Butterhill Grill

Used to stop at D's for a Bacon & Egg Sandwich evry Sat. before Golf in Oak Brook. (Also loved their steak with bbQ onions and Double Cheese). Finished off with a Hot Dog Bubble Gum.
Bobs
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/13 22:07:31
There are some mornings that I cannot resist a few Krystal cheeseburgers for breakfast. Just remember to bring some mints to eat before going in to work.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/14 15:14:50
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

Hillside- Q's, Round Up, Ramondi's Bakery and the Butterhill Grill

Used to stop at D's for a Bacon & Egg Sandwich evry Sat. before Golf in Oak Brook. (Also loved their steak with bbQ onions and Double Cheese). Finished off with a Hot Dog Bubble Gum.
Don't forget Stimac's right next door to Q's. Right across Butterfield from them was a little strip mall that had a Radio Shack and a hot dog place (Papa John's? Uncle John's? Something like that.), and my apartment was right behind them. Being able to walk out my door and be ordering a dog and a polish in under 5 minutes was a very good thing... And then there was Carm's (III?) a little further south on Wolf Rd. but I think that's Westchester.

Brad
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/15 03:09:00
quote:
Posted - 06/02/2005 : 14:42:51
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My brother swears by greasy cheeseburgers as a cure for a hangover--and he should know!

Got to say that I have some agreement with your brother. Not that I know; that's what people tell me. On a parallel note, my British friends tell me that the greasy meat pies sold in the commuter rail stations in England have the same healing powers. They say that the meat pies have a big market in the morning for those who had a pint or two too many last night.
johnreed
Hamburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/06/15 08:18:36
Well, you ain't gonna believe this. One of my favorite breakfasts is the small, square Krystal hamburger with a fried egg (over well) inserted. It's wonderful, despite the strange looks I get from the counter! To my knowledge, I'm the only person who orders it.

http://www.krystal.com/
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/20 20:11:15
Breakfast this morning was a #1 sack at White Castle-- 2 Double-Cheeseburgers, Fries and a 24 oz Coke. At 8am Sunday morning they went down good! At 8pm Sunday evening I still feel the effects!!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/20 21:11:44
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Breakfast this morning was a #1 sack at White Castle-- 2 Double-Cheeseburgers, Fries and a 24 oz Coke. At 8am Sunday morning they went down good! At 8pm Sunday evening I still feel the effects!!


Gotta be careful with that Coke in the morning!
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/20 21:18:59
you want a great greasy cheeseburger with hash browns for breakfast try sarkis on gross pt. rd. in evanston illinois on the skokie border
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/21 09:46:03
tiki, how fortunate i am that this thread has popped back up - THE CLUB is my idea of brunch.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/21 09:55:24
it's almost a given that if I make tacos fofr dinner, the next day I used the left over ground beef for an omlet, or just mix it in scrambled eggs.

It can be any worse for you than sausage.

sprinkle in cheese and any left over onion and peppers.

I guess a cheeseburger isn't too far off that mark.

chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/21 16:49:13
quote:
Originally posted by phatphil

you want a great greasy cheeseburger with hash browns for breakfast try sarkis on gross pt. rd. in evanston illinois on the skokie border


Sarkis Grill is my favorite. The place is nuttier than a tree full of woodpeckers and the food is the greasiest on earth and very good too. Skokie, Evanston, and Wilmette all claim dibs on Sarkis Grill.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/25 22:54:34
i hear mr tashijan moved to florida and sold the place.....if true the spirit there will never be the same, while eating there one saturday morning molly hatchets band walked in out of a custom bus just like regular customers and pigged out
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/26 14:26:54
now just thinking of sarkis i could go for a good disaster sandwich with some of those hash browns and a cold coke
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/26 23:10:05
Do you remember his little sidekick, Santiago?
tiggs
Junior Burger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/26 23:32:56
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I used a tip from another poster advising using two patties and put cheese, onions and whatever in between and pressing the edges together.




My mom would make that when I was a kid and call it the "Suprise Inside" burger.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/27 08:49:10
quote:
Originally posted by tiggs

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I used a tip from another poster advising using two patties and put cheese, onions and whatever in between and pressing the edges together.




My mom would make that when I was a kid and call it the "Suprise Inside" burger.


"Suprise Inside" burger. But what if it was chopped broccoli or something like that...



phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/27 18:00:12
santiago would be there seven days a week like clockwork, he was like a long lost son to sark who also let santiagos cousin angel help out when busy and on weekends. the only thing diffrent about him and sarkis was your bill would always be diffrent if sarkis wrung you up in his head and always correct when santiago did it lol, god do i miss that place,unos,walker bros, the keg(fish)poochies and hermmmmmmmmmmms
tiggs
Junior Burger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/27 18:10:38
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by tiggs

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I used a tip from another poster advising using two patties and put cheese, onions and whatever in between and pressing the edges together.




My mom would make that when I was a kid and call it the "Suprise Inside" burger.




"Suprise Inside" burger. But what if it was chopped broccoli or something like that...







Nah, onion, cheese, pickle only.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2005/11/27 21:15:03
Dearfolk,
It strikes me that either Judy's Diner on U. S. 29 in Lilburn, Georgia or The Gwinnett Diner on Scenic Highway in Lawrenceville nearby serves a cheeseburger omelette on a gigantic bun. I've never tried it, but after an especially frenetic day of thrift store shopping, I may well have to investigate either place or both - if for no other reason just to report back to y'all.
Curiouser And Curiouser, Ort. Carlton in Athens, GA.
scgrits
Junior Burger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2006/01/08 02:15:13
The best burger you will ever eat is at the Breakfast Club in Tybee Island GA-about 15 miles from Savannah. This place is open for breakfast and lunch and serves up their huge burger on rolls made in house daily. This is the place that catered JFK Jr.'s wedding in the Sea Islands of GA. Its not the atmosphere its the FOOD! Cures all hangovers
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 16:44:19
CSD-
All three times I have been to Kewpee Lunch in Racine it has been just as they open at 7:00AM and all three times had cheeseburgers. No one around me even flinched at the order and I noticed several others were doing the same thing. I did seem to be the only one washing it down with a chocolate milkshake, though.

The Kewpee is a great place to sit at the counter and it doesn't take long until you are pulled into their conversations.

Another place I have thoroughly enjoyed eating burgers for breakfast is Bll's Hamburgers in Amory, MS, which also opens at 7:00AM.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 16:56:45
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

CSD-
All three times I have been to Kewpee Lunch in Racine it has been just as they open at 7:00AM and all three times had cheeseburgers. No one around me even flinched at the order and I noticed several others were doing the same thing. I did seem to be the only one washing it down with a chocolate milkshake, though.

The Kewpee is a great place to sit at the counter and it doesn't take long until you are pulled into their conversations.

Another place I have thoroughly enjoyed eating burgers for breakfast is Bll's Hamburgers in Amory, MS, which also opens at 7:00AM.


Buffetbuster:

As I recall, Bill's was written up in one of the Stern's non-Roadfood books, and is notable for serving only hamburgers on their menu, with no other choices, right?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 17:06:00
tamandmik-
It did appear in Eat Your Way Across the USA, which is how I ended up going there. If I remember correctly, the only things on the menu were hamburgers, cheeseburgers and fries. Even the toppings and condiments were very limited. But, it was a terrific burger, enhanced by the wonderful atmosphere. The young lady behind the counter sharing stories about the time Dolly Parton stopped in or when Kathy Lee Gifford came to town are some of my favorite Roadfood memories!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 20:00:42
Buffetbuster,

Thank's for bumping my post. My 7:00am cheeseburger days have declined since I started walking in the morning. I normally wash down a double cheeseburger with a root beer or root beer float. Never had a malt in the morning. Kewpee's is a five minute drive from my house and could easily become a serious addiction.

CSD
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 20:11:14
I have extolled the wonders of George Webbs for breakfast-but I failed to mention my husband Bob NEVER orders traditional breakfast food-its always a double cheeseburger with fried onions and 2 orders of hashbrowns with cheese....
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 20:55:23
Nutritionally speaking, protein aces high sugared b'fast cereal or donuts and sweet rolls any day.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 21:18:43
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

I have extolled the wonders of George Webbs for breakfast-but I failed to mention my husband Bob NEVER orders traditional breakfast food-its always a double cheeseburger with fried onions and 2 orders of hashbrowns with cheese....


And don't forget those weekly coupons...

CSD
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 21:51:54
"Cheeseburgers for Breakfast", what a loverly idea!!!

LL
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 22:16:27
We happened to be driving through San Antonio, NM in the early morning and had to stop at the Owl Bar for one of their green chile cheeseburgers. 8:30 in the morning and not another patron to be found, but the friendly waitstaff served up a big cheeseburger without blinking. Delicious!!
patmac
Junior Burger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/29 23:07:53
I learned to love me some Krystals because that chain will do you a morning cheeseburger. I am a cheeseburger fiend as my friends will attest. They may shake their heads at my choice, but a few Krystal cheeses is a great way to kick off a morning.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheeseburgers for Breakfast 2007/10/30 15:00:37
quote:
Originally posted by ayersian

We happened to be driving through San Antonio, NM in the early morning and had to stop at the Owl Bar for one of their green chile cheeseburgers. 8:30 in the morning and not another patron to be found, but the friendly waitstaff served up a big cheeseburger without blinking. Delicious!!


I hadn't realized they were open that early. I am headed up to Albuquerque in a few months in the morning, and I will keep this post in mind. This is very good news!