Johns Frozen Pizza

Junior Burger
2005/06/02 20:58:22
Howdy. I just joined. I have been on a mission to try and find John's frozen pizza sold in the 70's and maybe 80's I know in the Midwest. I can't recall who made it. I noticed a 12-25-04 question from lilbuddypizza on this but did not see an answer. Does anyone know who made this or if available anywhere? Thanks.
bib
Junior Burger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2005/07/16 10:02:48
Johns frozen pizza was made by the Anthony J pizza company in Chicago Heights, IL. (I worked there right out of high school).
The company closed in the early to mid 80s and, I believe, that they sold the "Johns" name to Tony's frozen pizza.
I'm not sure that I really beleive it, but, they claimed to be the first frozen pizza on the market back in the late 50s or early 60s.
Side note..... The name of the man that owned the company was Pizza! Anthony John Pizza.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2005/07/27 13:48:28
John's pizza was the best frozen pizza. I have also been looking for it. Bought by Tony's? That stinks--Tony's is too much like jenos used to be. It's a shame when a company buys a product line, only to discontinue it & gain shelf space. RIP Johns!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2005/07/27 14:00:23
I know Mama Celeste was an early frozen pizza, friend of mine was a food scientist at the time (1968) and their company was developing the recipe for it in the frozen form. Seems to me I test tasted a lot of pizza then, she was always sending samples over to my company for my coworkers to taste test.
riottact
Junior Burger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2006/02/19 00:07:39
My dad was a warehouse supervisor for John`s Pizza in the late 60s. I, as a baby, was part of the Johns Pizza promo ad`s. From what my dad has told me, Anthony J Pizza was the originator of the frozen pizza. They were bought out, I believe in the 80s by Jeno`s, for roughly $15 million. I could be wrong, but that is the story that I was told. Hope this helps with your search =)
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2006/02/20 20:53:45
I KNOW WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IN THE CHICAGO SUBURBS WE ALWAYS HAD JOHNS FROM JEWEL FOOD STORES BUT IT DISSAPEARED IN THE EARLY 80'S THERE
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2006/02/21 08:45:47
Man--John's was my favorite pizza growing up--can almost taste it now. How come succeeding comapnies always have to mess up a good thing?
Donia724
Junior Burger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2007/01/09 12:49:45
Hi Everyone, When I ran across these messages about John's Frozen Pizza I had to laugh. My name is Donia Pizza and I am the Granddaughter of Anthony J. Pizza and my Dad, Donald Pizza was the president and my Uncle Richard Pizza was the vice president (Yes that is really our last name). I can't believe that people still remember John's frozen pizza. My Grandpa stared out in the refrigeration/freezer business and did come up with the idea for frozen pizza through that business, unfortunately he did not get credit for this because I don't believe he patent it. He, as everyone has stated, sold the business in the 80's and was a consultant for the new company briefly but the pizza was never the same. A.J. Pizza passed away in 1990 and the pizza is no longer available. I have a lot of fond memories of the plant on Joe Orr Road in Chicago Heights and eating A LOT of frozen pizza growing up with my Grandpa's picture on the corner of the box, thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane.

Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2007/01/09 14:30:07
Hi Donia,

Welcome aboard! yep--I grew up on John's pizza here in NJ--it was my favorite for lunch or for a snack. RIP John's--it was always in our family's freezer. My sister & I would usually try to sneak eating some of the little squares of cheese before my mom or grandmother put it in the oven. I can almost taste it now
jramza
Junior Burger
RE: Johns Frozen Pizza 2007/07/17 17:57:45
quote:
Originally posted by Donia724

Hi Everyone, When I ran across these messages about John's Frozen Pizza I had to laugh. My name is Donia Pizza and I am the Granddaughter of Anthony J. Pizza...A.J. Pizza passed away in 1990 and the pizza is no longer available. ... thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane.

Donia, I had to write and thank you and your family for a great trip down memory lane for me! This pizza was AWESOME! I can still remember how it tasted - I must have eaten hundreds of them growing up. My grandmother would make them for me after school. Too Cool! Thanks, and my best to your family!
Bransky
Junior Burger
Re:Johns Frozen Pizza 2012/08/08 22:36:21
Hi Donia, This is years after your posting about JFP but I thought you'd be interested. I am Brad Bransky, a close friend of your uncle Dick (Dicky when we were kids) and your dad and mom "Ginger". We have not seen each other for many, many years. Your grandparents, Virginia and Tony, introduced my mom and dad to each other. My mom and Virginia were girlhood friends in Chicago. My dad was in the refrigeration business as a young man as was Tony. Dick and I were the same age and spent alot of time together as did our parents. I have many wonderful memories of our childhoods together up until we married and went separate ways. We spent every Thanksgiving together all through our childhood as well as many other times. Additionally, we often visited your uncle Eldon (Ellie) and Viginia's mom in Madison. Ellie raised pidgeons and one of my all time treats was when he would cook one. He was grounds superintendant at Olympia Fields CC and gave me a summer job at the CC.
I don't expect you will read this as it is so long after your posting. I found your posting by Googling "John's Frozen Pizza" in an attempt to find either Dick or Don which I have attempted with no luck over many years of trying.
Ironically, we moved to Homewood in '53 when the population  was a little over 5000.
I hope you see this. I just registered on this site and have to wait 15 days before I can send a PM. One of my email addresses is I'd love to hear from you.
Regards, Brad Bransky
MrPizza
Junior Burger
Re:Johns Frozen Pizza-Dick Pizza 2012/12/31 11:31:08
This may be a little late, but I just ran across this posting about John's Frozen Pizza and the Pizza family.  I saw where Bransky replied to Donia posting, and said he was trying to locate us.  I hope Brad still reads this from time to time, I would like to get in touch with him.  My name is Dick Pizza and yes I was in the frozen pizza business with my father Anthony and brother Don.  E Mail:  
MrPizza
Junior Burger
Re:Johns Frozen Pizza 2012/12/31 11:34:54
Hey Brad, trying to track you down since I saw this post.  I think you are in Lawrence, KS on owen.  My cell 708-672-1234.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:Johns Frozen Pizza 2013/03/31 13:01:53
Saw this ad listed on ebay.  someone is also selling a wrapper form a 3 pie pack.  Thought it would bring back some good memories!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...mp;hash=item5d34785499
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Johns Frozen Pizza 2013/03/31 13:12:21
Encountered it during college in the Midwest. Best frozen pizza I've had, before or since
BobinChicago
Junior Burger
Re:Johns Frozen Pizza 2013/05/28 20:13:01
Thought I would add a little to the corporate history. At some point, perhaps in the late 70s, the company was sold to a Mexican company that also owned either Jeno's or Gino's frozen pizza and was also was the distributor (owner?) of a couple Mexican beers sold in the US.

Although the factory was in Chicago Heights, the offices for AJP Pizza were on Pulaski Road in Calumet City near the Indiana border. That building burned down at some point after the brand had been sold.

It is my understanding that, in its heyday, John's was the number 1 frozen pizza in the Chicago market. In addition to retail, they sold in the food service market (school lunch program) and tried to make inroads into military base exchanges.