Malteds

Tiramisu
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
Malteds - Mon, 06/20/05 12:53 PM
I like Vanilla ice cream, a tad of milk, vanilla extract, Hersheys syrup, and the Carnation Plain Malt powder. I like my shake lumpy, and ice cold. I have tried the Horlicks Malt Powder, but found it too sweet. It can be purchased at Indian Grocery stores. Carnation is now putting Malt powder into Plastic containers. I put mine in a glass jar. I love the old Hamilton Beech blenders from the Dime stores. What a rush ! The best clerks always left the silver beaker by your glass...with a smile. I won't even consider a malt unless it is made with real ice cream. I will never understand the "need" to use artificial fillers. It freaks me out.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Malteds - Mon, 06/20/05 1:33 PM
I don't mind one scoop of ice cream in a milk shake or malt (actually, that was called a freeze when the ice cream was mixed in the shake, and it was a float when the scoop was added after the shake was mixed), but I cannot stand those things they call milk shakes that are filled with ice cream and are so thick you use a spoon.

DinoS
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Malteds - Mon, 06/20/05 2:33 PM
When I was growing up in the 50's malts were served everywhere. Now it's hard to find a place that serves them. They seemed to disappear after the appearance of McDonald's (at least in my home town) and the milkshake took over.

Dino

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15060
RE: Malteds - Mon, 06/20/05 3:34 PM
Three scoops of Mocha Fudge Ripple and some whole milk, then add a teaspoon of Carnation chocolate flavored malt-mix and a squirt of hot fudge sauce.
The result will be thick, but with a 'fat' milk-shake straw you can 'suck-it-up. The malt gently adds to the mild coffee flavor of the ice cream. And there is most of a second serving in the steel Blender cup waiiting for you!

An off shoot of this recipe would be to use some good Vanila or more Mocha Fudge ice cream and dump a couple of shots of Kahlua into the blender and skip the Malt. Blend while adding a bit of milk to thin to your needed consistency.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Malteds - Mon, 06/20/05 5:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

An off shoot of this recipe would be to use some good Vanila ice cream and dump a couple of shots of Kalua (sp?) into the blender and skip the Malt. Blend while adding a bit of milk to thin to your needed consistency.

Oh AL!!!----you got my brain goin with that one---think i feel the need to create a Black Russian Milk Shake!!

Bobs
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: Malteds - Mon, 06/20/05 6:11 PM
When I was in high school, in the sixties , my grandparents owned a restaurant in Jersey and I was in charge of the ice cream department. That was the perfect job and I have made many malts and shakes. If you think the malt is a lost art what about the ice cream soda. I do not see them on any menus and the few times that I have they did not resemble the real thing. The properly made ice cream is my favorite ice cream treat. Down here in Tn. it is not to be found. Where do I go to get the perfect ice cream soda?

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Malteds - Tue, 06/21/05 10:32 AM
Just a bit OT---but---tried a Black Russian Shake--its FINE!---in a blender can(thats the metal thing)-large scoop of vanilla icream---large scoop coffee ice cream--3oz vodka--1 1/2 oz Kahlua--a bit of half and half if needed to thin. Thanks for the inspiration Al!!!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Malteds - Wed, 06/22/05 10:57 PM
Fairley's pharmacy, at 72nd and Northeast Sandy in Portland, oregon.still has malted and ice crean soda. It is also the last drug-store pharmacy in Portland.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Malteds - Thu, 06/23/05 7:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bobs

When I was in high school, in the sixties , my grandparents owned a restaurant in Jersey and I was in charge of the ice cream department. That was the perfect job and I have made many malts and shakes. If you think the malt is a lost art what about the ice cream soda. I do not see them on any menus and the few times that I have they did not resemble the real thing. The properly made ice cream is my favorite ice cream treat. Down here in Tn. it is not to be found. Where do I go to get the perfect ice cream soda?

There's a place in Philly called Nifty Fifty's and they have hundreds (literally) of shakes, malts, and ice cream sodas flavors made the old-fashioned way.

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
RE: Malteds - Sat, 06/25/05 11:00 PM
The Hayloft Ice Cream Polar in Decatur, Michigan makes awesome milk shakes and malted milks, these are the best I ever had! Take I-94 Exit #56 for about 8 miles, The Hayloft is located on M-51, just south of the Decatur Village limits

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Malteds - Sat, 06/25/05 11:35 PM
Tiki... Your making me thristy...

speechpeach
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Malteds - Fri, 07/8/05 3:34 PM
I thought that a float was soda and ice cream..i.e. root beer and vanilla or coke and vanilla ice cream.. I was prowling at Big Lots this week and found some Hershey's butterscotch topping for 25 cents. I made a shake with Mayfield pralines and cream ice cream, a moderate amount of milk, a splash of vanilla flavoring and some of the butterscotch topping. Rather tasty for sure.

garryd451
RE: Malteds - Fri, 07/8/05 11:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by speechpeach

I thought that a float was soda and ice cream..i.e. root beer and vanilla or coke and vanilla ice cream.. I was prowling at Big Lots this week and found some Hershey's butterscotch topping for 25 cents. I made a shake with Mayfield pralines and cream ice cream, a moderate amount of milk, a splash of vanilla flavoring and some of the butterscotch topping. Rather tasty for sure.

what you described as a float, is what I always thought was a float, In fact, during the earlier 1960's, the 7-up comapny had a ad campaign each summer, for 7-up floats, all they were, was 7-up and ice cream!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Malteds - Sat, 07/9/05 12:09 AM
quote:

A soda with ice cream was called, are you ready -- an ice cream soda. Now, there were root beer floats, but one of those was not to be confused with an ice cream soda.

Don't ask my why. I have no idea. I was not then, and I am not now, a nomenclature official.

garryd451
RE: Malteds - Sat, 07/9/05 12:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

A soda with ice cream was called, are you ready -- an ice cream soda. Now, there were root beer floats, but one of those was not to be confused with an ice cream soda.

Don't ask my why. I have no idea. I was not then, and I am not now, a nomenclature official.

I thought a float was Ice Cream and Soda Pop. I thought a Ice Cream Soda, was Ice Cream, Plain Soda and then a flavoring, like cherry syrup, Cherry Syrup, etc., and etc.

Rapunzll
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Malteds - Sat, 07/9/05 12:37 AM
I love malteds and don't care much for shakes. But most places don't seem to use enough malt powder. Then again, I'm a woman who wishes they would find a way to make malted milk balls without the chocolate covering.

Not that I don't love chocolate, but the chocolate they tend to use isn't very good!

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Malteds - Sat, 07/9/05 11:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

But most places don't seem to use enough malt powder. Then again, I'm a woman who wishes they would find a way to make malted milk balls without the chocolate covering.

Not that I don't love chocolate, but the chocolate they tend to use isn't very good!

I completely agree, malteds need more malt powder and I wish I could find malted milk balls with good chocolate! Anyone know of any?

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7596
RE: Malteds - Mon, 07/11/05 11:54 AM
Horelick's Malted Milk Tablets!

They are the perfect answer to Malted Milk Balls without the chocolate.

They are very hard to find now. I used to buy them in a pharmacy in small glass bottles.

Never understood why they were in a pharmacy as they were candy to me.

As kids when malteds were served at more of the restaurants here they were called malts, but my mother always called them malteds.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Malteds - Mon, 07/11/05 12:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mar52

Horelick's Malted Milk Tablets!

They are the perfect answer to Malted Milk Balls without the chocolate.

They are very hard to find now. I used to buy them in a pharmacy in small glass bottles.

Never understood why they were in a pharmacy as they were candy to me.

As kids when malteds were served at more of the restaurants here they were called malts, but my mother always called them malteds.

You can get Horlick's by mail at:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/horlicks-malted-milk-tablets.htm

They don't come in bottles anymore.

garryd451
RE: Malteds - Mon, 07/11/05 5:02 PM
If you love Chocolate Malts, You will love Chocolate Malt Supreme Ice Cream!!

It is made by Serman's Dairy of South Haven, Michigan.

http://www.shermanicecream.com/

Merryclicker
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Malteds - Sat, 01/13/07 10:12 PM
Horlick's Malted Milk Tablets are still available online at the Vermont Country Store (vermontcountrystore.com, I think?). They have them in chocolate. You can get a package of 4 boxes, each box has 3 packets, and each packet has 8 or 9 tablets. They still taste great.

And on the subject of floats and sodas, I've heard them called both, and they involve (in Michigan, anyway) pop (root beer, coke, vernors, etc.) and a scoop of ice cream plopped in. I can still remember going to the Vernor's factory in Detroit on a tour, and we got all the floats we wanted... took me years to want one again!

And last but not least, malted milk shakes... are available all the time at Big Boy restaurants, where they make them thick or thin (to your preference), in usually chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla, and they serve it with the metal cup beside... oh, heaven.

Better late than never, but I got here by searching for malted milk tablets, so I imagine someone else will. Hope this helps!

Barney
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Malteds - Sat, 01/13/07 11:04 PM
In the mid-50's, there was a place downtown Newport News that had something resembling a "Frosty" but 100 times better. It was called a malted and came in a waxed dixie cup with a flat wooden spoon. Many is the time I begged some change from my mother so I could go get one of those things. I've yet to see anything to compare to that malted taste! It wasn't a milkshake...came out of a machine ready mixed. My mouth is watering.......Barney

Sneetch
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: Malteds - Thu, 01/18/07 5:55 PM
...i know it's a bit late for this info, but here goes:
plb, if you're still looking for malted milk balls with really good quality chocolate i found them at Fairway supermarkets in NYC and on Long Island - they came in dark chocolate as well as milk and they are heavenly!

saps
  • Total Posts : 1551
RE: Malteds - Thu, 01/18/07 5:59 PM
How much is a Horlick?

plb
RE: Malteds - Thu, 01/18/07 8:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sneetch

...i know it's a bit late for this info, but here goes:
plb, if you're still looking for malted milk balls with really good quality chocolate i found them at Fairway supermarkets in NYC and on Long Island - they came in dark chocolate as well as milk and they are heavenly!

Thanks! Do you know what they are named, I'm a long way from NYC (although I lived there in the 1970's)?

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Malteds - Fri, 01/19/07 7:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by saps

How much is a Horlick?

last time I checked it was about $500 for a good one.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Malteds - Fri, 01/19/07 9:14 AM
Anyone ever try an authentic Brooklyn Egg Cream?
Very refreshing, here is a link from Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup:

http://www.foxs-syrups.com/egg_cream.html

Its great with seltzer out of the bottle too.

Sneetch
RE: Malteds - Fri, 01/19/07 3:37 PM
sorry, plb - no brand name on the package other than Fairway...they have a website, but don't do mail order other than gift baskets (which don't seem to include those terrific malted milk balls...)
i won't be on Long Island for another month, but if you email me your snailmail address i will pick some up and send them to you, provided you can wait that long!

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Malteds - Fri, 01/19/07 4:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

quote:
Originally posted by saps

How much is a Horlick?

last time I checked it was about $500 for a good one.

RW
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Malteds - Fri, 01/19/07 4:58 PM
Does anyone remember Egg Creams???

Foxes Ubet Choclate syrup, a little whole milk
and the rest of the glass with selzter....yummy

plb
RE: Malteds - Sat, 01/20/07 11:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sneetch

sorry, plb - no brand name on the package other than Fairway...they have a website, but don't do mail order other than gift baskets (which don't seem to include those terrific malted milk balls...)
i won't be on Long Island for another month, but if you email me your snailmail address i will pick some up and send them to you, provided you can wait that long!

Sneetch,

Thanks for the offer! I my take you up on it someday. But I'll take another good look around here first.

plb

Trishkaidekaphobia
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Malteds - Sat, 01/20/07 11:16 AM
Malted milk ice cream bars!

I remember going to events at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium in the 60's and 70's. Teen age boys sold ice cream bars in the stands. You had a choice of vanilla or malted. The malted ice cream bars were the best, ever! I can't find them anywhere now.

Sneetch
RE: Malteds - Sat, 01/20/07 4:12 PM
plb - you might want to try Whole Foods market, or Wild Oats, if they are in your neck of the woods...good luck!