Pastrami

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Junior Burger
2005/06/30 14:20:46
Los Angeles has the best pastrami in the US. Langers.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/06/30 15:44:20
That's a pretty strong statement, but I lack the expertise & therefore the inclination to argue the point. Have you checked other brands and locations, though? NYC seems to get the most high ratings.

I haven't access to decent pastrami where I live, so my question has to be, "Where can I order good pastrami?" And for that matter, corned beef? (Haven't had the nerve to try to corn my own.)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pastrami 2005/06/30 15:51:37
I am by no means a corned beef expert but I have had good corned beef in Milwaukee, Chicago and NYC. Knoxville, TN does not know what good corned beef is but I bought a beef that had been corned at Walmart. I cooked by their directions and it was excellent. I first sampled it hot out of the oven but even after I pulled it out of the frige and reheated it, it was very good. I think it was around five pounds and it had all the spices floating around the clear plastic package.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Pastrami 2005/06/30 16:01:39
That is a pretty strong statement since the East Coast and especially NYC is famous for pastrami and corned beef. RickF, I'm sure that Katz's Deli or Carnegie Deli would ship pastrami. Lucky girl that I am, my uncle lives in Michigan and I just got my 4th of July "Care Package" from Zingerman's Deli!!! Pastrami, corned beef, kosher dill pickles, rye bread, kraut.....
you can order online at www.zingermans.com
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Pastrami 2005/06/30 16:07:10
I'd suggest relaxing just a bit. There's excellent pastrami available all over these days. I get pastrami in a Central Ohio kosher market that is the equal to any I've had in New York.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/06/30 16:09:35
LA has some great pastrami ... somehow, perhaps via presentation, the experience is different than the NYC experience. (The Hat, for example.)

There is a new place here in Seattle (Factoria? Goldblums?) ... anybody have any experience with them?
007bond-jb
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/01 12:05:42
I make my own pastrami at home Its easy. Emeril has a recipe on [url][/url]www.foodtv.com But he starts out making a corned beef 1st. I just buy a corned beef then follow the rest of the recipe
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/01 15:47:37
Vienna Beef produces an excellent pastrami, that is sold in L.A. and throughout the US. It's naturally hickory smoked, fresh, domestic grain fed beef that is carefully rubbed with seasonings that is available in two spice varieties: New York-a robust pepper crust, slowly smoked to perfection(heavy spiced with a slightly sweeter blend of brown sugar and coriander pepper) and Roumanian-a light blend of spices and pepper(lightly spiced with pepper and brown sugar). It's available in a variety of sizes, both whole and sliced:

Pastrami Navels-Whole(traditional hot pastrami
Pastrami Briskets-Whole(can be served hot or cold)
Pepper Beef-Pastrami Flats & Eye Rounds(great for trays)
Sliced Pastrami(portion control)
WCW
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/01 16:57:03
I'm originally from N.Y., but I haven't tried the Pastrami sandwiches that have been top rated (although I will the next time I go back). But I think the best Pastrami sandwich in L.A. is at Brent's Deli in Northridge. You can get it lean or regular (I like it regular with that tasty fat) and the rye bread is superb (warm and soft on the inside and crunchy on the edge). A chocolate egg cream with it and I'm in heaven.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/01 18:20:58
I know the pastrami at Art's Deli in LA---"where every sandwich is a work of Art!"-was indeed excellent!!! Better then the best of NYC--i dont know--but it it definatly as good as any!
sizz
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/01 19:06:36

quote:
marxbro Posted - 06/30/2005 : 14:20:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linda and I purposely visited LA two months ago just to sample Deli and Roadfood joints in the down town area. I love Jewish delis ( X New Yorker) especially the corned beef and pastrami. " funny,I'm not Jewish"
To my liking Langer's Delicatessen is buy far the best pastrami on the West coast. The best pastrami yes, but I don't believe the best Deli............ I prefer Nat'n Al's delicatessen in Beverly Hills.
New York pastrami is available here flown in daily to the Stage and the Carnegie Delis, both have joints in Las Vegas.
But. For me New York pastrami is not the best on the East coast. I found a Deli in Florida that is (shudder) better. ........... The Original Pastrami Club, Lauderhill, FL it's good ,very good. ... Frank
http://www.pastramiclub.com/contactus.htm

Scallion1
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/09 21:35:59
quote:
Originally posted by WCW

I'm originally from N.Y., but I haven't tried the Pastrami sandwiches that have been top rated (although I will the next time I go back). But I think the best Pastrami sandwich in L.A. is at Brent's Deli in Northridge. You can get it lean or regular (I like it regular with that tasty fat) and the rye bread is superb (warm and soft on the inside and crunchy on the edge). A chocolate egg cream with it and I'm in heaven.

a chocolate egg cream with a pastrami sandwich? uuuurppp. and tref as well. stick with the dr. brown's celray or black cherry.
imsofull
Hamburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/09 23:52:52
quote:
Originally posted by marxbro

I would say Langer's has the best Pastrami in L.A or Southern California, but having grown up on the East Coast, it falls short of
Katz's, Second Ave Deli and a host of Jersey deli's.

But it sure is a good substitute
carlton pierre
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 00:55:02
My brother -in-law went to the Carnegie Deli in NYC recently, paid $21 for a humongous pastrami sandwich.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 17:33:46
quote:
My brother -in-law went to the Carnegie Deli in NYC recently, paid $21 for a humongous pastrami sandwich.

For twenty one dollars my wife and I would expect to be hand fed by semi-clothed members of the opposite sex; that is between bites of our peeled figs
carlton pierre
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 19:37:07
I agree. I couldn't believe it, but I guess that's NYC.
sizz
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 19:41:09

quote:
carlton pierre Posted - 07/10/2005 : 00:55:02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe some folks never saw what a New York Pastrami sandwich looks like. Here is one in all it's glory ........... Carlton Pierre, The Carnegie Deli pastrami is $12.95 and if you want one as pictured here it's $3 bucks extra............. your brother-in-law must have had a slice of cheesecake and coffee along with his sandwich or he's a Southern Gentleman and big time tipper.......

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 20:32:37
Well you sure can't ask "Where's the beef?".
carlton pierre
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 21:33:34
That looks about like what he described. When I asked what it cost he told me $21 so maybe he had a few extras, but that is a heckuva sandwich.!!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 21:54:53
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

That looks about like what he described. When I asked what it cost he told me $21 so maybe he had a few extras, but that is a heckuva sandwich.!!

Katz's, Carnegie, and Second Avenue are all around $13 for their signature sandwiches. Either your brother-in-law was exaggerating or he was giving you the amount for the entire check.

For what it's worth, I know of few people who would tell you that the $13 sandwich in question is not worth every penny.

Steve
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 22:27:06
quote:

Let's talk about something not so subjective, like parking. It cost anywhere from $20 to $40 a day to park your car in manhattan. What is it in your town? Oh, by the way, there's a 18.5% tax on top of that.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 22:37:26
quote:
Let's talk about something not so subjective, like parking. It cost anywhere from $20 to $40 a day to park your car in manhattan. What is it in your town? Oh, by the way, there's a 18.5% tax on top of that.

quote:
Morgan Stanley said yesterday that former Chairman and CEO Philip Purcell, 61, will receive a cash retirement bonus of $44 million and co-President Stephen Crawford, 41, can collect $32 million should he resign for any reason by Aug. 4.

I guess I can see who can afford those sammy's.
I'd be laughing but it's all so sad
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 23:17:09
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
carlton pierre Posted - 07/10/2005 : 00:55:02

Maybe some folks never saw what a New York Pastrami sandwich looks like. Here is one in all it's glory ........... Carlton Pierre, The Carnegie Deli pastrami is $12.95 and if you want one as pictured here it's $3 bucks extra............. your brother-in-law must have had a slice of cheesecake and coffee along with his sandwich or he's a Southern Gentleman and big time tipper.......

What you've pictured is, I believe, a combination pastrami and corned beef sandwich. At least, that's what the ones I make look like.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 23:27:06
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

quote:

Yeah...that can turn your $13 sandwich into a quick $50 lunch. Add in the cost of any tolls or train fare if you are not already in the city, and it sure makes me glad that I travel to NYC on the company nickel, rather than live there! It is much easier to expense train tickets, parking, and tolls than the $100 tab at Luger's!

Steve
sizz
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/10 23:43:26

quote:
What you've pictured is, I believe, a combination pastrami and corned beef sandwich. At least, that's what the ones I make look like.
Sharp eye Michael.................... Pastrami on top corned beef on the bottom. that's the way I like-em in NY the "combo".......... In LA at Langer's Delicatessen I'll take the pastrami straight up and the same at the Original Pastrami Club in FL.
I think the folks will get the idea of what a $15.95 NY Deli sandwich looks like............... whether it's corned beef or pastrami or the combo of both ......... Frank
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/20 12:33:09
Langer's is definittely excellent.....but I also thought DZ akins in San Diego made excellent pastrami too. Getting hungry now......
sizz
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/20 12:57:58
I feel that DZ Akins in San Diego is the best all around deli in California........ A proper New York Jewish deli in an unlikely spot..................
http://www.dzakinsdeli.com/
Pigiron
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/20 13:15:09
quote:

This looks to me like a post that was created with the intention of starting a ruckus. Seems to be a theme around here lately.
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/20 13:40:02
quote:
Originally posted by Wigo

quote:

This looks to me like a post that was created with the intention of starting a ruckus. Seems to be a theme around here lately.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Food critics often site Langer's as having the best pastrami in the nation. So, it's not an outlandish statement. I've been to Langer's and they were great. My personal favorite is still Canter's.
cehrin
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/22 17:27:06
My husband loves this one deli back in Lyndhurst Ohio- some bagel place on Mayfield called Broadway Bagel.
They use Sy Ginsberg corned beef- yum!

We are tring out Katz's pastrami and corned beef tonight in Manhattan.
Pray the kids behave for us so we can eat a decent meal :)
carlton pierre
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/22 17:49:45
I had 3 kids in diapers at one time and going out to eat with kids was always a real hit or miss thing. Seldom a hit. Good luck. I hope Roadfood inspired you to visit the place, so let us know how you liked it.
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/22 17:50:15
In Katz's, I wouldn't worry a bit about the kids' behavior. You want to see behavior, go there in the wee hours when the clubs and bars start emptying out and the partiers get the munchies.
Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/22 17:58:23
KATZ's hands down for the pastrami and corned beef... both EXTRA LEAN... the experience itself (entering, ordering, etc.) is amazing... then you get to eat... get some soup and an egg cream, too.
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/22 18:02:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kiowa1

KATZ's hands down for the pastrami and corned beef... both EXTRA LEAN... the experience itself (entering, ordering, etc.) is amazing... then you get to eat... get some soup and an egg cream, too.

Man, you've got some real moxie! The stories about people ordering extra lean at Katz's, and the reactions of the countermen, are legendary. For my part, the more of that succulent fat the better.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2005/07/22 21:33:16
I put my corned beef that I've slathered in mustard and sprinkled with the enclosed seasoning packet, added some extra garlic and hand ground tellicherry pepper, on a rack in a lasagna pan that has an inch of water in it. I wrap with foil and bake at 275ยบ for X amount of hours (depends on the size of the beef (and the point cut works just fine). I uncover it for an hour to firm the meat up and continue cooking. Let sit for at least a half hour and have some great Jewish bakery rye bread handy. Yum yum
LuvPastrami
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2006/01/22 23:14:02
I can't believe nobody mentioned Johnnie's in Culver City serving vienna beef pastrami to the world greatest actors,athletes,directors and yes me!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Pastrami 2006/01/23 18:12:16
How did pastrami get in the PRIME cuts thread anyway?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2006/01/23 23:04:33
'cause good pastrami is a prime cut?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Pastrami 2006/01/26 18:37:19
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

'cause good pastrami is a prime cut?

And hard to find!
sop that
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2006/01/28 12:39:27
Saint Matt, I was wondering if anyone would mention Canter's, I remember them as being every bit as good as Langer's. They have a deli in Treasure Island - Las Vegas now too.
Ermo
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2006/02/03 12:01:31
Some years ago when we lived in LA, Langer's offered curb service because people were reluctant to dine there due to the edgy neighborhood. So we would call in our order and give them a time and pull up to the curb and the guy would come out to your car with your order, which we would take to Dodger Stadium to eat while we watched the game. Great memory.

At any rate, what I remember about Langers' was the BREAD, which I believe they baked themselves and had a touch of sourness to it. Argue all you want about the meat itself, but I think you have to give Langer's the nod for best bread.

I have lived West, Midwest and East and in my opinion you are talking shades of grey. Langer's, Manny's, Katz's and Second Avenue - they are all freaking wonderful and I wouldn't turn down a chance to go to any (or all) of them.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2006/02/03 13:56:36
I'll have to check out Langers.

It may not be Jewish delicatessan pastrami, but a place called "The Hat" has a pastrami dip to die for. There is so much meat that one could make a whole other sandwich with what falls out as you eat.

The pastrami is not fatty, but extremely juicy with the dip. Add a large order of fries (enough for 4) and you are in business. I get the chili or gravy on the side to dip fries into. Hungarian wax chilies on the side are heaven.
Ermo
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2006/02/03 15:09:06
I've heard of The Hat, but I have never tried it. Maybe I will hit it the next time I'm out that way.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2006/02/06 14:14:04
If you are in with nostalgia, try to hit the Alhambra one. It is one on the last hamburger type stands in the area (everything is Asian now). There is only an outside seating area at that one. The other's have inddor. It's the original place that has been there since the late 40s I believe. It's a childhood thing for me though.

I got so hungry for deli food I roasted a corned beef and made cole slaw. Not pastrami, but the closest thing to it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Pastrami 2006/02/06 14:36:39
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

How did pastrami get in the PRIME cuts thread anyway?

At $15 a pound where do you think it should go?
foodmama
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2006/03/02 20:53:40
quote:
Originally posted by Scallion1

quote:
Originally posted by Kiowa1

Man, you've got some real moxie! The stories about people ordering extra lean at Katz's, and the reactions of the countermen, are legendary. For my part, the more of that succulent fat the better.

Agreed! you NEED the fat! it makes it unbelievably juicy. Katz's is by far the best pastrami on the planet.. a bold statement, I know, but I stand by it.. :)
bcory
Hamburger
RE: Pastrami 2006/03/03 17:39:00
A little Carnegie Deli corned beef anyone?

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pastrami 2006/03/03 18:34:29
Bcory: That may the the largest sandwich I have ever seen. I don't know about the taste but it is huge!!!!

I like pastrami and corned beef and I like it with a little fat. Makes it a little more juicy for me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2006/03/07 08:16:26
East Side Deli in Margate, Florida, is a very good Deli, great pastrami. Pickels and rye bread on the table when you sit down.
wlipman
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2006/04/22 13:36:26
quote:

Surely you jest. Katz's is not in Los Angeles, neither was the 2nd Ave. Deli, nor the Carnegie.

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2006/04/22 15:20:25
I envy those of you who live in deli rich areas. I have a choice of driving 60 miles to Baltimore, or the same distance to Philadelphia.I didn't know how good I had it as a kid growing up in Northeast Philly.
The closest I can come to deli around here is a 2 lb kosher salami at BJ's.
xannie_01
RE: Pastrami 2006/04/22 16:08:23
carlton, that deli is famous for charging quite a bit extra if you share a sandwich.
xannie_01
RE: Pastrami 2006/04/22 16:28:07
the hubster just confirmed it..when we were there last, they charged us 7$ to share a sandwich.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pastrami 2006/04/22 19:01:28
Aw, c'mon! Pastrami = Katz's = Pastrami!
tigerborn
Hamburger
RE: Pastrami 2006/07/25 20:01:54
Horrors! LA? For PASTRAMI? Sounds like heresy. :)
But then again, I willingly admit that I am a Jersey snob. When I think of LA, I'm more inclined to think of tacos, hamburgers and good Korean food.
mics
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2006/08/10 01:18:25
if your up north of seattle,like everett,on evergreen way there is a place called barneys pastrami ,5130 evergreen way, not bad for 6.00 heard there was a new place opened in tacoma,anybody care to fill in the blanks
V960
RE: Pastrami 2006/08/10 09:27:33
quote:

LA? Wrong. NYC has the best.
MrTudo
Junior Burger
RE: Pastrami 2006/10/17 01:47:24
Pomperdeli on East Commercial Blvd in Ft Lauderdale Fl has the best Pastrami on Rye I've ever had and I was born in and lived half my life in Pastrami country ( NJ and NYC ) These guys in Ft Lauderdale have them all beat.

Get one with a Dr Browns cream soda and your good to go
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
RE: Pastrami 2006/10/17 01:49:19
NYC has the best.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Pastrami 2006/10/17 07:56:18
quote:
Originally posted by MrTudo

Pomperdeli on East Commercial Blvd in Ft Lauderdale Fl has the best Pastrami on Rye I've ever had and I was born in and lived half my life in Pastrami country ( NJ and NYC ) These guys in Ft Lauderdale have them all beat.

Get one with a Dr Browns cream soda and your good to go

Been awhile since I've been down that way, if it's still there try the East Side Deli on West Atlantic Avenue in Margate. FL. It's in a small strip center on the south side of the road, reminded me of the Deli's in Far Rockaway, NY, with Rye bread, Pickles, and Cole Slawn on the tables.

Speaking of pickles, after there go to the food court at the indoor flea market on Sample road for real NY pickles.

John
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2