Employee Problem

RedGreene
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 2:18 PM
I have one employee that refuses to wear a hat. We have already been "warned" by the health department that this is unacceptable. She is good with customers and stays busy but this hat thing is getting old. She has been told several times by myself and my wife. Is it time to part ways?

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 2:20 PM
Yes.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 2:24 PM
Around here, health dept. really dont get down on you for not wearing a hat... Unless you have long hair, then a hat or net is in order... That only falls for the staff in the food prep (kitchen) area. You say she's good with customers, making me wonder if she's employeed as "wait staff"? But then not knowing Ohio Rules, it may be different there... Sit her down, let her know the ultimatum... Hat or road... Don't be nice, let her know you're getting tired of being Mr Nice Guy by repeating yourself. Good Luck!

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 2:26 PM
No hat, no job. She is risking your license.

RedGreene
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 2:44 PM
Thanks everyone.

Uncle Vic...I own 2 ice cream parlors. We have 32 flavors of hard dip ice cream, along with hamburgers, fries, tenderloins, etc... We don't have waitresses and, according to the local health department, everyone is expected to wear a hat.

Thanks again.

Red

jcats65
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 3:26 PM
I would guess it is time for them to go. I know we went as far as putting a sign up saying no one with out a hat past this point. We have nothing but kids working for us though and they are just like when they are at home. You have to keep telling them over and over. I finaly bought a hair net for some of the boys and change the rules to at least the shirt had to be mine the hat I let them pick.

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 3:42 PM
Yup. And the hat thing as regards the health department is secondary. Who's running the show, and who signs the paychecks? An insubordinate employee is a disease, that can only spread. Not to mention that with two stores you hardly need an additional source of stress.

Ciao, baby, let your hair blow free in the wind, but not at work.

UncleVic
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 4:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RedGreene

Thanks everyone.

Uncle Vic...I own 2 ice cream parlors. We have 32 flavors of hard dip ice cream, along with hamburgers, fries, tenderloins, etc... We don't have waitresses and, according to the local health department, everyone is expected to wear a hat.

Thanks again.

Red

Sorry bout that! Majority vote speaks and I agree... bye bye...
Especially when the food staff is in the customers eye... Like Scallion said, you dont need the stress or potential fines...

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/5/05 5:44 PM
This hadn't been an issue with me until a couple of months ago when the first hair turned up in a salad. Our inspector didn't care as long as everyone kept their hair back and tied if it was long. Now, it's nets for everyone, including me when I'm in the kitchen. I expected some bitching but it never came.

I'm with everone else. Hat, net or the road.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Employee Problem - Wed, 07/6/05 3:27 AM
The employee needs to go.

BchBar
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Employee Problem - Sun, 07/10/05 11:08 AM
If you haven't fired that employee by now you really need to think about the message you're sending to all of your employees.. i.e. that what you say doesn't matter. That's a diaaster!

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Employee Problem - Sun, 07/10/05 2:40 PM
Rules are rules... if I enter the kitchen area of my wifes store I have to put on a beard net (Im usually wearing a hat) I was on an underground cable job one time and driving the truck as the crew put out traffic cones, I jumped out of the truck to confer with the big boss, (forgetting my hard hat) the D.O.T. inspector threatened to shut down the whole job if it happened again! Im a long time disregarder of rules but I agree with the others, if this employee has had numerous warnings it's time for them to go, who knows what other hygeine rules she's breaking.....

bassrocker4u2
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: Employee Problem - Mon, 07/11/05 1:59 PM
definitely show the hatless trick the door. if she refused your request in front of other employees, you have some damage control to do. i would fire her openly(instead of in the office) to regain control of the other workers or you may end up with a whole bunch of problems. regain their respect and make them all fear the axe. do it now........

UncleVic
RE: Employee Problem - Tue, 07/12/05 12:44 AM
RedGreene... Been 7 days now since your post... Just curious on what the outcome of the ordeal was???
(Or is she still there running the store?)

RedGreene
RE: Employee Problem - Wed, 07/13/05 11:22 AM
UncleVic; this is the warning I posted with a place for each employee to sign. I figured this way I would cover my butt if I had to fire anyone.

"EVERYONE must wear a hat or hair net! There will be no more warnings, threats, or discussion about this. I, along with *******, *** & ***** will check every shift to see that this rule is being followed. Anyone who decides not to wear a hat will be fired on the spot. No questions asked! We will not put our business license in jeopardy because of a certain few who think the rules of this business do not apply to them."

I am happy to report that I haven't had a problem with anyone since...and that includes the "hatless trick". lol

Thanks everyone, Red

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Employee Problem - Wed, 07/13/05 11:54 AM
Good!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Employee Problem - Wed, 07/13/05 2:51 PM
Excellent solution

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: Employee Problem - Wed, 07/13/05 3:18 PM

Subtle, Very Subtle,....I like your indirect gentle approach! I'm afraid I would not have been so understanding!

UncleVic
RE: Employee Problem - Wed, 07/13/05 9:20 PM
Nice job there!!!

bassrocker4u2
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: Employee Problem - Thu, 07/14/05 6:11 AM
smart thinking, red!