Hamburger...what to do with it???

mammascookin
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Reward points : 0
Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 1:45 PM
Ok, aside from meatloaf, hamburgers, spaghetti, sheppards pie etc...what are some different things to do with hamburger?

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 1:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mammascookin

Ok, aside from meatloaf, hamburgers, spaghetti, sheppards pie etc...what are some different things to do with hamburger?

Cabbage Beef Soup, Vegetable Beef Soup, tacos, enchiladas to name a few!

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 2:27 PM
Make a batch of your favorite meatloaf. In a deep casserole dish, slice potatoes very thinly and sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper (you can also add some sliced or minced onion. Then pat the meatloaf mixture onto the potatoes to completely cover them. Put a couple of strips of bacon on top. Cover and bake for 1/2 hour at 350, then remove the lid or foil and continue baking until the potatoes are done. The meat juices drip onto the potatoes as they're cooking.

I make this one a lot in the wintertime. Note that it uses the Golden Mushroom soup rather than cream of mushroom.

MEATBALL STEW

1 egg, beaten
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1/ 4 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/ 4 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/ 2 lbs. ground beef
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 cans (14 ½ oz. each) beef broth
2 cans (10 ¾ oz. each) condensed golden mushroom soup
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
1 small onion, cut in half and slivered
1 16. oz package frozen Fordhook lima beans
1/ 4 cup fresh minced parsley

In a bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt, marjoram and thyme. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add broth, soup, potatoes, carrots and sliced onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add beans and continue to cook until all vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Makes 8 servings. Notes: Cut green beans can be substituted for the lima beans and mushrooms can be added if desired.

mammascookin
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 2:39 PM
Thanks RubyRose! This sounds wonderful!

varelas
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 2:57 PM
Look on the box of Bisquick or go to the web site and see the recipe for Impossible cheeseburg pie.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 3:01 PM
Goulash (macaroni, ground beef & tomato), Sloppy Joes, Swedish meatballs, Beef & Noodles (with mixed vegetables optional), Lasagna, Hamburger Pizza, Stuffed (Bell) Peppers.

Here are a dozen ground beef recipes from Hungry Monster section on Beef @ http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=892 There are many, many more.

Adobe Pie = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=394

Agean Casserole = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25047

Albondigas = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25050

Beef & Mozzarella Bake = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25123

Beef Balls Heidelberg = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25131

Beef Chorizo = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25143

Beef In Costume for Halloween (baked pumpkin stuffed with ground beef) = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25213

Beef Nacho Casserole = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25225

Beef Potato Casserole = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25168

Beef Roulade = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25236

Beef Spinach Cake = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25180

Beef Upside-Down Cake = http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Beef&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=25272

mammascookin
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 3:19 PM
Thanks for the recipes 6star! Some are pretty different! The pumpkin one looks rather interesting! I am tired of cooking the same old stuff all the time!

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 3:42 PM
Every few months I fix up the simple old creamed hamburger on toast. Fry the burger, coat it with a bit of flour, pour in some milk to make the sauce. Salt/Pepper. Serve on toast, comfort food for sure.

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 3:46 PM
This is fun to make in the summer. It is great to take on a "no fuss" picnic, along with crackers (or crusty bread) and cheese.

SUMMER SAUSAGE

2 lbs.HAMBURGER
1/2 cup Water
1-1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Mustard Seed
1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbls. Morton Tender Quick (NOT tenderizer)
1 Tbls Sugar

Mix all ingredients well. Roll in two rolls as firmly as possible. Place on aluminum foil with shiny side next to meat. Wrap well. Allow to stand in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Punch holes in bottom of rolls. Place on rack in pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. Chill before slicing.

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 3:58 PM
If you want something highly seasoned, this South African casserole is perfect. We had this (called meatloaf) in a South African restaurant in Charlottesville, Va. and thought it was terrific.

Baboti

2 tsp Curry powder
1 tsp Ground ginger
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 large Onion, coarsely cut
1 tbl Lemon juice
1 tbl Apricot jam
1 handf raisins
2 tbl Chutney
1 tbl Worcestershire
1 Tomato, finely diced
4 slc Bread
2 lb Ground beef
1 lg. Egg
3/4 cup Milk

Method :
1. Warm a heavy pot. Put in first 8 ingredients, warm thoroughly.
2. Remove from heat and add next 6 ingredients. Return to low heat and mix until bubbly.
3. Dampen and dice bread. Add to mixture and stir well.
4. Add ground beef and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Fill a shallow greased casserole dish with Baboti mixture.
6. Beat egg with milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over Baboti mixture.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes (until custard is golden).
8. Serve with yellow rice and salad.

You can change this according to what you have on hand. I usually use 1/4 cup of chutney and omit the apricot jam.

mammascookin
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/15/05 4:06 PM
chezkatie - that boboti looks really good!

The summer sausage is interesting also!

Thanks for the ideas!

Bonzmoose
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 2:12 AM
The first time I ate what one of the posters called creamed hamburger was at the San Jaun airport when we were picking up my Mom who was coming for a visit. But their creamed hamburger (which we call hamburger gravy) was spiced up with lots of garlic and probably some sofrito. I recreate it by browning crumbled hamburger, a finely minced onion, garlic, salt and black pepper, adding flour and cooking until light brown, then pouring enough milk over the mixture and cooking until thickened. You can serve this over toast, plain bread, baked potatoes, pasta or just about anything you can think of, but the way we love it is as we had it all those years ago - over shredded hash browns. My boys grew up eating this and still love it to this day.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 5:58 AM
Hola mija! Here's what they used to serve when I was in the Marines. It's simple, tasty, filling, and delicious.

CREAMED GROUND BEEF

* 1 pound ground beef
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cube beef bouillon
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 pinch ground black pepper
* 2 1/4 cups milk
* 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika (I use cayenne)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in flour, bouillon, salt and pepper. Saute all together for about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring all to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot over toast.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 4:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Hola mija! Here's what they used to serve when I was in the Marines. It's simple, tasty, filling, and delicious.

CREAMED GROUND BEEF

* 1 pound ground beef
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cube beef bouillon
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 pinch ground black pepper
* 2 1/4 cups milk
* 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika (I use cayenne)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in flour, bouillon, salt and pepper. Saute all together for about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring all to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot over toast.

Dad called this SOS.. mom made something like it using air dryed beef and served over toast

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 5:51 PM
They served us the dried beef version, aka creamed chipped beef on toast, also, but I can't stand it. Too salty or something.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3595
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 6:03 PM
Kefta Kabobs are one pleaser. Mix ground beef with dill, curry powder, black pepper, chopped onion and garlic. Shape into little cigar shapes slightly larger than your thumb. Grill over hot fire. Serve in pita bread with lettuce, tomato and a sauce of yogurt, dill and chopped cucumber----or top with some hot sauce.
My other favorite is called (I think) picadillo. Saute chopped onion, garlic and chopped green olives in olive oil. Add some paprika and allspice. Remove to a bowl and brown the ground beef in the leftover oil. When it is nice and brown, add onion and garlic back in, put a few handfuls of raisins in and a handful of either slivered almonds or pine nuts. Serve with either toasted baguette slices or in pita bread.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 6:31 PM

Steak Tartare

Ingredients:

1/2 pound filet mignon, ground for steak tartare (ask your butcher)
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped capers
2 or 3 drops of Tabasco
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Mix beef with shallots, parsley, and capers. Place mixture in chilled bowl. Add Tabasco and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with thin slices of dark bread.

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 7:11 PM
Here is one that was old when I learned it 40 years ago:

Dinner In A Dish

Simple comfort food; it was the first recipe I learned.

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can corn
1 cup bread crumbs
1 stick butter

Method:

Saute beef and diced onion in a 4 quart Dutch Oven until beef is browned.
Add tomatoes and corn. Simmer briefly, add salt and pepper to taste.

If your Dutch Oven is oven proof you can keep the contents in it. For better presentation transfer contents to a casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top, drizzle melted butter evenly over bread crumbs.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown.

This is the basic old form of this recipe, but variations abound. Sometimes I add a can of white hominy to add more body or use Ro-Tel tomatoes for heat. You can also add cooked rice or pasta to the mix. The variations are endless.

Kids love this economical meal if they try it in the first place. I had resistance in the 80s from my son till I called it "He-man Stew." After that it was his favorite dish. To get the same result today I suppose you would have to call it Sponge Bob Stew.

TIPPY LEE
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sat, 07/16/05 8:13 PM
dreamzpainter, your post on SOS sure brought back some good comfort memories...My father was career military, and Armour chipped beef gravy on toast was one of our breakfast, lunch, and dinner favorites....I still make it to this day, as mommy and daddy are gone now...Thanks for the memory!...Tom B. in Eastern Kentucky.

mammascookin
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Mon, 07/18/05 10:48 AM
Oh my goodness! All the recipes...things I have never thought of. Thanks all for the new ideas! I am going to have fun cooking now!

BarbaraCt
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Mon, 07/18/05 11:18 AM
I didn't see anyone mention chili. I use the package found in the spice aisle. One day chili and another day I put the chili in a cuisinart and have chili for the top of hot dogs.

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Mon, 07/18/05 11:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Steak Tartare

Ingredients:

1/2 pound filet mignon, ground for steak tartare (ask your butcher)
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped capers
2 or 3 drops of Tabasco
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Mix beef with shallots, parsley, and capers. Place mixture in chilled bowl. Add Tabasco and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with thin slices of dark bread.

I would just add a raw egg yolk and some chopped anchovies.

Before all the concerns about e-coli, I remember making hamburger patties with my dad for the grill, and we would never be able to leave the raw meat alone. Raw hamburger, salt, and freshly ground pepper eaten off of pink butcher paper...

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/29/05 9:37 AM
Swedish meatballs over fettuccine.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/29/05 10:25 AM
STUFFED PEPPERS!!!! Mix up some ground beef-cooked rice,fine chopped onions, garlic,your favorite herbs and spices,(i like to add a little nutmeg),and an egg or two and stuff it into some nice big bell peppers---place in a oven proof baking dish and cover with a nice tomatoe sauce and bake it!!! Lip smacking good!!!!

angeltx
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Fri, 07/29/05 10:46 AM
Stuff Yellow Squash.......the same as stuff bell pepper but use Yellow Squash.....I cook mine in a pot with alittle bit of water just enough to cover the squash and put about 2tablespoons of lemon juice in the water.

corabeth
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sun, 07/31/05 5:09 PM
Taco Potatoes are one of my family's favorites:

1 lb ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can chili hot beans
6 baking potatoes
sliced lettuce
chopped tomatos
sliced green onions
salsa or taco sauce
shredded colby cheese
fritos

Brown the ground beef. Drain fat, add taco seasoning, then beans. Stir gently and simmer 5-10 minutes. Bake potatoes, open potatoes, butter & salt & pepper. Top with taco meat, immediately add cheese. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, sour cream, fritos.

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sun, 07/31/05 6:10 PM
Hamburger Pie

A novelty, but a good one. Fun to make, fun to eat:

2 pounds lean ground beef
crumbled blue cheese or cheddar or sauteed mushrooms or whatever filling you like.

Method:

Make two equal sized patties from the beef about 12 inches in diameter
Spread filling over bottom patty, cover with top patty. crimping edges between the two.
Bake on cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.

As a side I like onion rings with this dish.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sun, 07/31/05 6:53 PM
I consider burger the most versatile of all the meats. I cannot think of too many things that it does not go well with.

Obviously my most favorite is the cheeseburger on the grill and my next favorite would be meatloaf.

Everything else is super with burger.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Sun, 07/31/05 7:12 PM
Yesterday, I made a freezer full of lumpias with about 3# of hamburger (and an additional 4# of pork, lumpia shanghai).
Cut up carrots, I used leeks instead of onions, garlic, turnips, soy sauce, spices, and formed all this into a mixture.
Lay out on a lumpia wrapper (I'd bought 4 - 5 containers of these at Jungle Jim's the day before, he has at least 7 - 8 different brands of these) about the dia. of your finger, wrap up and freeze the excess for later, and fry a bunch in the wok.
I prefer the pork lumpias myself, but hamburger is good to.

mammascookin
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Mon, 08/1/05 9:41 AM
Carlton Pierre - I have never heard of lumpia before...can you give a little more information please? This sounds interesting though and I am curious to know what it is like.

And a million thanks to everyone for all the great recipes and ideas!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
RE: Hamburger...what to do with it??? - Mon, 08/1/05 9:53 AM
Mammascooking: I am not Carlton Pierre but a lumpia is a Philippine egg roll or at least their version of it.

In Knoxville we have a restaurant on Magnolia that specialize in Philippino foods. Lumpia is their thing.

I believe Carlton Pierre prepares this quite often.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN