Calabacitas

Filet Mignon
2005/08/02 00:31:12
Here's a nice New Mexican dish that's comes as a side dish in restaurants, esp. this time of year:
Calabacitas: a casserole of zucchini, corn, onions and green chiles, sometimes with with a little cheese.....
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Calabacitas 2005/08/02 02:02:43
This time of year, I make calabacitas at home at least once or twice a week. Great way to use up all this excess zucchini we're getting from the CSA.
Charity
Hamburger
RE: Calabacitas 2005/08/02 14:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Here's a nice New Mexican dish that's comes as a side dish in restaurants, esp. this time of year:
Calabacitas: a casserole of zucchini, corn, onions and green chiles, sometimes with with a little cheese.....

Any recipes for this casserole version? As he says above, Lucky Bishop makes it all the time, but his version is a stew, and he says he's never seen it with cheese.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Calabacitas 2005/08/02 16:07:53
quote:
Originally posted by Charity

quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Any recipes for this casserole version? As he says above, Lucky Bishop makes it all the time, but his version is a stew, and he says he's never seen it with cheese.

just found this one---looks really good-
www.zarela.com/new_recipes/calabacitas_queso.html

and this one too--think i will try this one for dinner tonite
www.fineliving.com/fine/perfect_party/article/0,1663,FINE_17017_2770060,00.html
xannie_01
RE: Calabacitas 2006/08/08 18:09:08
i took yesterday's calabictas, added more onion, chiles and eggs, mixed it together and added cheese..
baked it in the oven..it came out better than the original..
i'm so proud of me.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Calabacitas 2006/08/08 21:04:40
A traditional recipe

4 med zucchini, diced
4 med summer squash, diced
1 med onion, chopped
2 med roasted, peeled and chopped chilies..or more if you like it hotter.
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
3 ears fresh sweet corn, remove the kernels
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheese, chedder, monterey jack, or both

In a heavy and hot pan saute the onions, chilies, garlic, both zucchini and summer squash for 1-2 mins. Being careful not to burn the garlic.

Add the corn, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Turn heat down, cover tightly and simmer about 10 mins. You want the squash to be firm but done. Turn out into a casserole dish, top with cheese serve hot with blue corn cornbread.

Blue Cornbread (if you can find the stuff to make it, if not make reg cornbread and add any chilies)

1 1/2 cups Los Chileros Blue Corn Meal
2 tsp baking powder
1 oz Los Chileros Chile Caribe
3/4 cup milk
1 egg (beaten)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp sugar

Combine blue cornmeal, Chile Caribe, baking powder and sugar. In another bowl mix remaining ingredients and combine with dry mixture until moist. Pour into greased 8” square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
xannie_01
RE: Calabacitas 2006/08/08 21:06:10
SHOOT! thanks, BhamBabe, i forgot the corn
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Calabacitas 2006/08/08 23:43:08
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

i took yesterday's calabictas, added more onion, chiles and eggs, mixed it together and added cheese..
baked it in the oven..it came out better than the original..
i'm so proud of me.

Mmmm....sorta sounds like qualibacitas quiche!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Calabacitas 2006/08/14 18:52:35
Today was a cool-ish rainy day in Northern NM. I felt like having soup. I took out a bunch of squash and some fresh roasted green chile. I added this to some butternut squash soup (from a box). Then I figured I'dd add some fresh corn. Which was great. I thought, Well, this is Green Chile Stew sort of. But, No, actually, this is Calbacitas Soup!

(Then I thought I'd add a few other ingredients I had around the house: a few mushrooms, so I diced red bell pepper (beautiful for color!) and a bit of ground turkey and some fresh black pepper. Wow, I impressed myself. I served it ith Indian Bread from Santo Domingo Pueblo, and a glass of white wine......mmmmmmm

Maybe tomorrow Calabacitas Salad (mm, maybe some corn, some squash, some green chile, no?)
xannie_01
RE: Calabacitas 2006/08/14 18:54:30
NYNM,
you're becoming a certified New Mexican