sour cherry rolls

Maurie
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
sour cherry rolls - Tue, 08/2/05 11:57 PM
Does anyone know if Royal (?) sour cherry rolls are still available anywhere?

Diner-Lover
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: sour cherry rolls - Wed, 08/3/05 8:03 AM
I used to love those sour cherry candies-- and they also came in other sour flavors, too, I'm pretty sure. I just did a search on Hometown Favorites and couldn't find them in their candy store OR in their "Boy they were good but" list of discontinued items. I feel like they were called "Crown Royal" or something, not just "Royal". I'd love to find them again. I was trying to do a google search, but my computer's really slow this a.m. so maybe I'll try again later today.

PaulBPool
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: sour cherry rolls - Wed, 08/3/05 9:02 AM
They were "Regal Crowne" sours, and they were originally imported from England. They re-appeared a few years ago, but as posted above, both Hometown Favorites, and one or two other "old time candy" sites no longer list them.
They had sour cherry, lemon, grape, and other flavors available, but the cherry seems to be what most people remember. I also believe there was an assorted roll.
These were one of my favorites, along with Adams sour gum (LOVED the orange!), which unfortunately has also disappeared.

Diner-Lover
RE: sour cherry rolls - Sat, 08/6/05 7:18 PM
I just did a search on Hometown Favorites where it lists the many items that are no longer available, and sure enough, Regal Crown Sours were there. You can see the list here:

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/btwgb.asp

Sad.

vcretrocandylover
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: sour cherry rolls - Tue, 06/26/07 9:36 PM
Does anyone know the name of the English company or address or anywhere to get the candy or a recipe for the Regal Crown sour cherry candy? I've been searching for it for years. I made the mistake of thinking it was Royal Crown and it's regal crown.

Help, please, anyone..........
[|)]

sweetlu
RE: sour cherry rolls - Thu, 10/25/07 5:31 PM
A company in England used to make Regal Crown Cherry Sours and I used to get them from a candy distributor in Brooklyn, NY. Got my mom a case for Christmas in the mid-1990s and it was like I had bought her the best Xmas gift EVER!
Then the company who makes Altoids bought the Regal Crown candies. They were making RCCS until the late 1990s. My mom used to order them regularly thru the candy company in Brooklyn, but they no longer carry them. She had been such a good customer that the manager called her that they were being discontinued, so she bought 5 cases. My mom recently emailed (or rather, "taunted") me that she found one (they were individually wrapped) in a coat pocket and savored every second of it.

I truly wish some company would distribute these again!

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: sour cherry rolls - Thu, 10/25/07 10:04 PM
I wonder if these are the candy I was thinking of? I posted about them once. I swore they were Life Savers, but now that I read this thread, they very well may have been these. I bought a package of sour cherry and sour lemon - were the rolls just about the same thickness as Life Savers, but longer? I had them in 1977, and have been craving them ever since.

Diner-Lover
RE: sour cherry rolls - Fri, 10/26/07 1:19 PM
Jvsmom, I think the Regal Crowns packages were a little wider and longer than Lifesavers since I remember the Regal Crown candies being rather thick compared to a Lifesaver and of course, they had no hole. I think they were individually wrapped in white opaque paper-- sort of like wax paper-- which was nice since they didn't make the loud crackling sound candy wrappers make when opening one in church or someplace quiet, and they also didn't pick up lint from your purse as Lifesavers would. And that great sour cherry flavor.... I still crave them, too!

richcohen
RE: sour cherry rolls - Fri, 10/26/07 1:39 PM
Regal Crown Sours were made in Denmark, and imported through Callard and Bowser for the last years they were made. I was a big customer for the cherry ones, and used to buy them in large quantity from close out stores...until they disappeared altogether. I would love to get the recipe...I would arrange for them to be made and put them right back out on the market!

richcohen
RE: sour cherry rolls - Fri, 10/26/07 1:42 PM
By the way, the closest item that tastes like Regal Crown Cherry Sours is in the Life Savers Wild Berry package. One of the varieties is almost identical. Wild Berry is not available lately in the Northeast but I found them in Florida last November.

dougster
RE: sour cherry rolls - Sun, 12/30/07 9:51 PM

Just got some Jolly Rancher "original flavors,"
and noticed that they had cherry flavor that is pretty close to
Regal Crowne cherry sours. Doesn't have the old wax paper
wrapper for each piece, but it tastes pretty close.

Also, I remember when Jolly Ranchers first surfaced,
and it seemed to be only watermelon and apple sours.
I don't think cherry was an option.

Jolly Rancher now seems to be owned by Hershey.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: sour cherry rolls - Sun, 12/30/07 10:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dougster

Just got some Jolly Rancher "original flavors,"
and noticed that they had cherry flavor that is pretty close to
Regal Crowne cherry sours. Doesn't have the old wax paper
wrapper for each piece, but it tastes pretty close.

Also, I remember when Jolly Ranchers first surfaced,
and it seemed to be only watermelon and apple sours.
I don't think cherry was an option.

Jolly Rancher now seems to be owned by Hershey.

Everything seems to be owned by Hershey's

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: sour cherry rolls - Mon, 12/31/07 11:50 AM
Regal Crown Sours were my absolute favorite-am sad they are no longer around...

janetlee
RE: sour cherry rolls - Tue, 01/1/08 1:44 AM
Ahh, more Regal Crown lovers. Was thinking about them again lately and decided to check the Internet and see if they were still available anywhere. Sigh! I thought the cherry sours were a little too much, but loved the lemon and orange ones--if you tucked one in the corner of your mouth under your jaw they would send little zingings up the side of your head : ) Altoids makes a tangerine sour and a citrus sour that almost works, but they are so small by comparison. But welcome. Getting a lot harder to find though, and much pricier when I recently did. Bought them anyway! Who knows when they will totally be gone.

old timer
RE: sour cherry rolls - Wed, 01/16/08 1:45 PM
Regal Crown sours were discontinued close to 15 years ago. The product was produced by Trebor UK, now owned by Cadbury.

vcretrocandylover
RE: sour cherry rolls - Wed, 01/16/08 2:14 PM
Thank you so much. I have been trying to figure out who has the recipes!

cindycb
RE: sour cherry rolls - Sat, 12/6/08 4:58 PM
I LOVE these and have hunted everywhere to find them or something close to that wonderful flavor! The poster who said there is one of the LifeSavers Berry that tastes very similar is right on, but finding those is difficult. I found some sour ball candies at the Montana Candy Emporium in Red Lodge Montana that are red and yellow and they are very close in flavor, but I live in Arizona, doesn't help me much! I did find them here: http://store.candywarehouse.com/cherryball.html but don't want to buy a 5 pound bag. Does anyone else have any ideas?

matildaC
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: sour cherry rolls - Sat, 12/6/08 6:51 PM
The closest replacement I've found for Regal Crowns are "Napoleon Sour Bon Bons" which have some of the same flavors and are almost as sour. It's a candy produced in Belgium, available for sale by the pound in bins at a number of places in New York, which is where I get them. Candywarehouse.com also sells Napoleons, but they are even more expensive than the Sour Cherry Balls.

For what it's worth, I've contacted pretty much every major candy manufacturer suggesting they bring back Regal Crowns as a retro product, much as Adams Sour Apple Gum was re-released for a short time several years ago. None of the companies seemed interested, though.

How's a petition sound?

sweetlu
RE: sour cherry rolls - Sun, 12/7/08 4:54 PM
I would definitely sign a petition to bring Regal Crown Cherry Sours back!
Then, target the companies that are already making retro candy. Let me know how to get on board!