Batch of Hatch

Filet Mignon
2005/08/10 20:15:25
(not really sure if this goes under Chili or Mexican, but I'm picking Chili since I'm still in USA)
I bought my first bag of Hatch chile (medium hot) today and had it roasted in the supermarket parking lot. Now I'm staring at tons of fresh, delicious green chile. And (aha) at a loss of what to do with it all. So I'm open for suggestions. What are some interesting dishes to make with green chiles?
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Batch of Hatch 2005/08/10 21:20:03
hmmm chilli-chile.. I guess its close...you may want to try the recipe section
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Batch of Hatch 2005/08/10 23:09:25

Green Chile Stew

16 C. Water (chicken broth is better)
6 C. Chopped Green Chile (charred skins -- (6 to 8) removed)
4 C. chopped fresh onion
2 C. Chopped Tomatoes
5 tsp. Salt
10 cloves fresh garlic
1/8 tsp. **Mexican** Oregano
2 lbs. Pork Loin (any cut will do, loin minimizes trimming time)
6 TBS. Oil (or lard)
1 C. White Flour
Combine the water (or chicken broth) green chile, onions, and garlic. Simmer for a couple of hours. Meanwhile grill the pork on the grill. (Note: Do not smoke the pork, the smoke flavor will overwhelm the dish. You can also cube the pork first and brown in oil, if so do the onion and garlic also.) Cube the grilled pork in 1/2" cubes, add to the stew and simmer another hour. When the stew is finished simmering it needs to be thickened.

In a separate pot, heat the flour and oil for a few minutes (like you are making a roux). Add 2 cups of the broth from the stew to the flour and oil and whisk into a paste. Add the whisked mixture to the stew to thicken. (Another variation is to whisk the entire pot of stew for several minutes after adding the flour thickener. This breaks up the pork cubes and green chile chunks and produces a very smooth creamy texture.) Bring back to a simmer and it's done. Eat like a stew with tortillas or smother burritos, eggs, beans with lots of it.

lindad
Junior Burger
RE: Batch of Hatch 2005/10/01 20:16:48
Make sure roasted chilis are peeled. Chop fine with hand chopper in a wooden bowl. Crush garlic clove to fine juice and spread on chopping block and chop in green chili with large knife and lightly salt to taste.

You can use this as the basis for stew, guacamole, on burgers, eggs, etc.

Then, call us and we will be over.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Batch of Hatch 2005/10/05 00:41:40
I've frozen a batch now - can't wait for GCS in winter!!1
firefighterswife
Junior Burger
RE: Batch of Hatch 2005/10/07 18:47:29
Hi,
Not sure if you'll be checking here, but . . . I grew up in New Mexico and chili was as much an ordinary staple as flour or sugar! As for what to do with it . . . hopefully you froze what you bought. Medium/Hot is pretty intense for a "beginner." There are many dishes that can be made using chili. Last night I made green chili stew. I also make flat enchiladas with it (preparing it with meat, onion, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, water or broth). Growing up, when we had hamburgers or hot dogs we'd take out a package and chop it up to put on our burgers or dogs (just chop it up and put it on!), I put it (just chopped up by itself) in omlets, scrambled eggs, etc. If I make basted, poached or fried eggs, I like a bit chopped up and put on top, too. Another idea is to grill some chicken and put a bit of chopped up chili on top then sprinkle it with cheddar cheese. You can do the same with steak (just maybe not the filet mignon!). I also like to press garlic into chopped up chili (we love garlic around our house) and use as above. If you need recipes, please feel free to email me (I don't know if my email address will show up anywhere, but if not, just reply to my post (reply) and I would be happy to give it to you. I moved away from NM about 4 1/2 years ago and Hatch Green Chili is one of the things I miss most about Albuquerque in the Fall!! (That and the Balloon Fiesta!) As was said below, it can be used in guacamole as well. You can also try it in salsa instead of jalepenos.
I mostly just make up my recipes as I go, but I do have several cookbooks with recipes so let me know!! Enjoy!!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Batch of Hatch 2005/10/11 00:51:09
Hey thanks, firefighter's wife!
desertdog
RE: Batch of Hatch 2007/03/01 12:15:20

Where are you RouxDog? I want to see your recipe...with pics of course!
rouxdog
RE: Batch of Hatch 2007/03/01 13:23:24
OK D'dog! I opened this can of worms, I shall follow through and begin with my green chile stew recipe. Give me an hour or so to make a few notes. "It ain't wrote down nowhere". Of course I'll begin with the appropriate disclaimers and perhaps conclude with the same.
PICS......... Getting the recipe out is far more urgent than cooking. You're the man on Pics, I'm building the courage to give it a shot.
Rouxdog
xannie_01
RE: Batch of Hatch 2007/03/01 14:13:10
i've gone through half of my hatch stash..
hoping to make the rest last til sept.
i've got to get a bigger freezer.
we use them in eggs, relleno casseroles,
in soups and of course green chile stew.
recently i bought chicken soup from costco and it was bland, so i added a few hatch chiles and some corn; boy, did that brighten up the soup.
rouxdog
RE: Batch of Hatch 2007/03/01 18:04:44
Well friends,
I posted a start for green chile stew on the Chili thread(whatever). Go to Chili, then green chile stew. I look forward to your responses.
Roux
PS. Xannie,the way you have with your Hatch is a beautiful thing!