Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's....

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 90
NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 4:42 PM
See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant? I believe it was in Westchester just past the Bronx line (my family used to take the subway and a taxi before we owned a car). There may have also been a Manhattan branch, but I am referring to the one "in the country". It was the qunitessential special event family restaurant, and first on my list for Big Celebrations (like my grade school graduation).

I recall the restaurant had some sort of greenhouse and beautiful gardens with a pond and/or wishing well. They served traditional meals, especially roast beef and heavenly POPOVERS!

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 5:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant? I believe it was in Westchester just past the Bronx line (my family used to take the subway and a taxi before we owned a car). There may have also been a Manhattan branch, but I am referring to the one "in the country". It was the qunitessential special event family restaurant, and first on my list for Big Celebrations (like my grade school graduation).

I recall the restaurant had some sort of greenhouse and beautiful gardens with a pond and/or wishing well. They served traditional meals, especially roast beef and heavenly POPOVERS!

The Sterns devoted part of a chapter to Patricia Murphy's in their "Square Meals" book and included some recipes either from or inspired by her and said establishment. Check it out, if you're able. There's "Lemon Soup", "Victor's All-White Salad Platter", "Hawaiian Chicken and Pineapple Curry", "Coffee Pearadise" and "Patricia Murphy's Popovers." Bon appetit!

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 10:10 PM
Oh, my. So Patricia Murphy's is not just a part of my private little memory bank!!!

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 10:18 PM
A little Googling reveals that Patricia Murphy's Candlelight had branches in Manhasset (or maybe Roslyn), Brooklyn Heights and Ft. Lauderdale, as well as the Manhattan store (on Madison Avenue, I think). I don't know about the Westchester store.

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 10:25 PM
ooooh, but the Westcherter place I remember had those beautiful gardens ( and popovers...)(guess all the braches have popovers though....)

tacchino
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 10:47 PM
NYNM:
Any idea exactly where in Westchester this restaurant was? Are we talking more towards Yonkers, or Eastchester and Mammaroneck?

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 11:08 PM
Don't remember. Somehow Yonkers sounds right, but not sure. Does anyone else know?

Scallion1
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 11:22 PM
Yonkers it was, which kind of surprised me.

http://www.yonkershistory.org/brooks.html

Scallion1
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/19/05 11:33 PM
quote:

Don't remember. Somehow Yonkers sounds right, but not sure. Does anyone else know?

Last bit of trivia:

(The Manhasset store) The Club House later became the popular “Antlers” meeting place for the Elks - although it was a popular meeting hall for every social affair. In 1943 it was used by the Congregational Church members, then became Patricia Murphy’s Candlelight Restaurant after 1949, and finally a steakhouse until it was demolished to make way for the new Benihana Restaurant at that site today.

Go here: http://www.bahiamarhotel.com/photogallery.htm and click on “Photo Gallery” . Go to the bottom-most picture on the left, click to enlarge it, and you’ll see a photo of the Westchester PMCR.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 08/20/05 12:39 PM
Patricia Murphy's was in Pound Ridge, Westchester county, NY and the signature item was popovers. To our unsophisticated palates of the 1950's the place was the epitome of fine dining - and, as I recall, the meals were pretty good and substantial in a traditional American way (with exotic items like the curry available for the adventurous as someone mentioned). Kind of like Shrafft's in the country.

By the early 50's we had abandoned Murphy's for Rebers, famous for its steaks, in either Hawthorn or Ardsley - on the Saw Mill River Parkway, if memory serves

Cheers, John

BrooklynBill
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 08/28/05 11:40 AM
As a young person, in the early 50’s, I really liked Patricia Murphy’s Candlelight Restaurant. They served a good American menu. Everything from soup to desert was included in their base price. They also gave an option of a cream de menthe or a crème de cocoa in lieu of desert. I liked that very much as I grew old enough to partake, because I was usually too full of those fantastic popovers to even look at desert.

We went to the Manhasset site most of the time. There was also one in Brooklyn. Visited there once or twice but didn’t enjoy it as much. I never did go to the Yonkers/Westchester branch (it came later on) but heard very good things about it.
The early American atmosphere and the extensive gardens, of the LI restaurant, really complemented that menu. The view from the parking lot suggested that it had once been a nursery.

There was also a Lorraine Murphy’s, I think on The Island, in the 50’s. Heard that Patrica’s sister ran it. Don’t know if that was really the case.

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 08/28/05 6:00 PM
Yes, creme de menthe! I never realized that Patricia Murphy's was a "chain." It's good to see so many fond memories here! I wonder if they are similar lovely restaurants around, especially with gardens.

seafarer john
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Mon, 08/29/05 10:08 AM
Gasho in Central Valley, Orange County, NY has (or had, havn't been there in years) a beautiful Japanese garden. the place was a lot of fun about 20 years ago . but it wore out over time; they were the first place around here that cooked the food at the hot table with a lot of flashing knives and flipping food.

Mohonk Mountain House here in New Paltz has magnificent gardens - $45 bucks gets you lunch and the use of the grounds for a day.

Cheers, John

skeaya
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Thu, 11/24/05 12:36 AM
Photographs of the Candlelight Restaurant on Central Park Avenue in Yonkers, 1954:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/d?gottscho:20:./temp/~ammem_jPkL:

(they start on the linked page and there are more on the page after)

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 11/26/05 4:10 PM
Would love to see your pix of Patricia's, but the don't come up on the screen. Please try again!

skeaya
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 11/27/05 11:48 AM
Ok do this:

Go to http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/catalog.html

Click on the big blue "search the catalogue" button

type in "candlelight restaurant" in quotation marks

a nice long list should come up! first the Yonkers then they have some pics of the Manhasset one (the list is on 2 pages)

you can click on the images to see them larger

what a beautiful restaurant

seafarer john
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Mon, 11/28/05 2:30 PM
Thanks very much to Skeaya for posting the photos of Patricia Murphy's. Those pics jogged my memory and I instantly recognized the place - but what the Hell was it doing in Yonkers when I was absolutely certain that it was in Pound Ridge -all the way across the county? In fact, I had stated very positively in a message on August 20 that it was in Pound Ridge. Well, I learned today from a friend who lives not far from Pound Ridge that I had Patricia Murphy's confused with an equally famous restaurany called Emily Shaw's. Just another "senior moment", I guess...
Does anyone remember Emily Shaw's - I think it was a cut above Patricia Murphy's? My friend tells me that there is still a restaurant in that grand old house.

Cheers, John

shen
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Mon, 11/28/05 3:06 PM
I have 5 menus from Patricia Murphys in Yonkers...my grandma took a menu from EVERY restaurant they ate at from the mid 60's up until early 90's..so she has a whole box of memories for me. Sometimes we go thru the box and cant believe the prices...the restaurants are all in southern CT and westchester NY

tonyv
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/18/06 7:04 AM
Patricia Murphy's was on Central Ave about 3 miles north of the Yonkers Raceway, 5 miles from the Yonkers/Bronx border. I had my Communion dinner there in 1966. Wow, what memories.

My dad was the Manager and Band Leader at Tropical Acres Restaurant midway between Patricia Murphy's and the Raceway also on CEntral Ave. They were the 2 hottest Restauranas in Yonkers for a long time. Tropical Acres clesed in 1976 and Patricia Murphy's a few years before that

If your Grandmother has any of the menu's from Tropical Acres, I would be very interested.

Tony

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3663
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 08/18/06 8:33 AM
I remember going to her restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale in the late 70's. My host purchased her book "Glow of Candlelight" which he gave me as a memento of our evening there. It is her autobiography and very interesting, but most of the recipes are quite dull by today's standards for fine dining.

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 10/7/06 8:01 PM
When I was a little girl, my Mom and Dad brought me to Patricia Murphy's for special occasions. We'd dress up - Mom in her mink stole and long gloves, Dad in suit and tie, the girls in dresses with maddengly itchy crenoline slips, tights and pinchy patent leather shoes.

I remember the delicious popovers, the white linens on the tables, candles, learning how to behave "like a lady" in a restaurant. I still have a little tiny, round cardboard tube with a couple of glass ampules of Patricia Murphy's lily of the valley perfume!!

What lovely memories of a genteel meal to celebrate birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other occasions. I'm only 49 yrs old, but forgive me for complaining that is very hard to feel like you're celebrating a special occasion when the people at the next table are wearing jeans and t-shirts and their children are running around the dining room annoying other diners. It's nice to have a couple of restaurants where special still means special.

Does anyone here remember Cornetta's Lobster Restaurant (maybe "Seafood" rather than "Lobster")? The whole family worked there, the seafood was scrumptious.

Linda

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 10/7/06 8:16 PM
Shen, I would love to see a menu!

Linda

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17826
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 10/7/06 8:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by avatarld

When I was a little girl, my Mom and Dad brought me to Patricia Murphy's for special occasions. We'd dress up - Mom in her mink stole and long gloves, Dad in suit and tie, the girls in dresses with maddengly itchy crenoline slips, tights and pinchy patent leather shoes.

I remember the delicious popovers, the white linens on the tables, candles, learning how to behave "like a lady" in a restaurant. I still have a little tiny, round cardboard tube with a couple of glass ampules of Patricia Murphy's lily of the valley perfume!!

What lovely memories of a genteel meal to celebrate birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other occasions. I'm only 49 yrs old, but forgive me for complaining that is very hard to feel like you're celebrating a special occasion when the people at the next table are wearing jeans and t-shirts and their children are running around the dining room annoying other diners. It's nice to have a couple of restaurants where special still means special.

Does anyone here remember Cornetta's Lobster Restaurant (maybe "Seafood" rather than "Lobster")? The whole family worked there, the seafood was scrumptious.

Linda

I'm not familiar with Cornetta's, but I love your rememberance of visits to Patricia Murphy's.

firstlight
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 11/29/06 2:17 AM

See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Oh, I was just thinking about past Christmas memories and googled the resturant name finding this forum.

I grew up in Hartsdale, NY and every year my family had reservations on Christmas Eve at Patricia Murphy's. We would go out to a theatre and see The Sound of Music (My father's favorite movie) and then we'd go to eat.

The most wonderous thing for a child who adored animals and was pet deprived was the "Living Nativity" scene complete with live sheep and other animals. One year it snowed so much we were the last one to see the animals as they had to stable them earlier...

I remember they also had a gift shop at the resturant and one year I received a rearing horse that had pinto colored hair on it that was made with cow hide. I saw it in the shop and my father went back after we got in the car (saying he left something in the resturant) and surprised me on Christmas Day.

Patricia Murphy's was a very "grown up" experience. I especially remember the popovers. It was the only time we were allowed to get "prime rib" (which melted in your mouth) and for our birthday's we would get "the queen's cut"... The waiters and waitresses always talked to us like we were grownups, asking us for our order and if we were enjoying our meal...

These memories are from about 1964 to 1969 or so.

Dawn
First Light

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 11/29/06 10:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by firstlight

See as we're on a sort of NY nostalgia trip, does anyone remember Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Oh, I was just thinking about past Christmas memories and googled the resturant name finding this forum.

I grew up in Hartsdale, NY and every year my family had reservations on Christmas Eve at Patricia Murphy's. We would go out to a theatre and see The Sound of Music (My father's favorite movie) and then we'd go to eat.

The most wonderous thing for a child who adored animals and was pet deprived was the "Living Nativity" scene complete with live sheep and other animals. One year it snowed so much we were the last one to see the animals as they had to stable them earlier...

I remember they also had a gift shop at the resturant and one year I received a rearing horse that had pinto colored hair on it that was made with cow hide. I saw it in the shop and my father went back after we got in the car (saying he left something in the resturant) and surprised me on Christmas Day.

Patricia Murphy's was a very "grown up" experience. I especially remember the popovers. It was the only time we were allowed to get "prime rib" (which melted in your mouth) and for our birthday's we would get "the queen's cut"... The waiters and waitresses always talked to us like we were grownups, asking us for our order and if we were enjoying our meal...

These memories are from about 1964 to 1969 or so.

Dawn
First Light

Thanks for your comments! Yes, "times have changed": I have a 13 yr. old daughter and we couldn't probably do anything like Patricia Murphy's these days. First of all, I wouldn't know where go and second, she'd only wear the same jeans she wears everyday, no "dress up"/"grown up" stuff.

It was so special at PM's around the holidays. Soemhow I just get glimpses of peppermint and snow sparkles!

When I was 10 yrs. old the best birthday I rememebr was convincing my mother to let me take a few best friends "way up" (from Brooklyn to Westchester) for a meal at PM.I felt like a "queen"! (?princess?). Proabaly today I'd go to a rock concert or something!!! (orf maybe the decadent American Girl shop on 5th Ave, depending on my maturity)

shen
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 11/29/06 11:04 AM
hi there...
if i were more computer savvy I would scan in my MENUS from patricia murphys. I was too young to go but my grandma has menus from every restaurant she has eaten at. And her and my "bubby" would go there for lunch. They are all in a box. When she is gone it will be one of my most prized possesions.
TW

jimeugrog
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 12/20/06 4:51 PM
This site is amazing. Great info. Patricia Murphy was my father's sister-in-law. He managed her Madison Avenue and Westchester restaurants for years before we moved to Florida (c1975) so he could run her Bahia Mar restaurant in Fort Lauderdale and the Cascades in Deerfield Beach. They ended up in a legal dispute where he proportedly took control of the company from her and, unfortunately, ran it into bankruptcy within a few years. I am researching these things now for a historical novel. Anyone with info on this topic or remembrances, please contact me or post here. A small reward may be available. My father's name was John Rogers. Thanks.

wirepaladin
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 12/22/06 5:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jimeugrog

This site is amazing. Great info. Patricia Murphy was my father's sister-in-law. He managed her Madison Avenue and Westchester restaurants for years before we moved to Florida (c1975) so he could run her Bahia Mar restaurant in Fort Lauderdale and the Cascades in Deerfield Beach. They ended up in a legal dispute where he proportedly took control of the company from her and, unfortunately, ran it into bankruptcy within a few years. I am researching these things now for a historical novel. Anyone with info on this topic or remembrances, please contact me or post here. A small reward may be available. My father's name was John Rogers. Thanks.

wirepaladin
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 12/22/06 5:44 PM
My family only went to the Patricia Murphy's in Manhasset. It made you feel so special. The surroundings, the popovers...and how could you forget the GREAT honey buns!

Pop in
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 12/31/06 12:37 PM
What fun to read that so many people share such fond childhood memories associated with a single restaurant. I went to the Yonkers location at Christmas time in the '60's, and it is one of my treasured memories with my grandmother and mother. I remember the live animal nativity outside in the front of the restuarant and even more exciting for a little girl, the Princess sitting on a throne as you entered. I too recall the excellent popovers and Shirley Temples.
I logged in to let you all know that there is a Patricia Murphy's cookbook out there. I saw one, perhaps ten years (perhaps more) ago at a used bookstore in connecticut called Whitlock's Bookbarn. I went there recently and they did not have it, but, it is out there somewhere.

azsmoker
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 12/31/06 2:24 PM
Re: Southern Indiana Bar B Q..is it still possible to purchase Baughs or Hesmers sliced pork bar b q in the jar? Use to buy in Evansville - anyone know about it? Az Smoker

MacTAC
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 12/31/06 3:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by azsmoker

Re: Southern Indiana Bar B Q..is it still possible to purchase Baughs or Hesmers sliced pork bar b q in the jar? Use to buy in Evansville - anyone know about it?
Hi azsmoker. Should re-post in the Misc. - Food Related forum. This here is a folder within that forum which will not get too much BBQ related traffic...

Yonkersgirl
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Thu, 03/29/07 4:45 PM
Ah, Patricia Murphys. It was located a little north of Tuckahoe Road, Yonkers on Central Avenue. Now it is a shopping area. Yes, it had a beautiful Rose garden. I found a restaurant in the Amish part of Pa that was quite similar,the long tables and plenty to eat, even popovers. The name was Good n Plenty.

I remember having my 9th birthday at Patricia Murphy's in 1955. A great day.

The area around Tuckahoe Road in Yonkers and Central Avenue is no longer country. I remember as a child going to Schmitt's Farm up on Ft. Hill Road in the Hartsdale/Greenberg section of Central ave. Every summer, August, we would go to my Dad's union picnic at Schmitts Farm. I think it was around 1958 that it was bought out by Ft. Hill Country club and no longer was host to picnics and outdoor festivities. Now the area is all homes.

Claricei
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 05/26/07 9:54 PM
quote:

Hello to all-
I just joined because I have been searching for anything about Patricia Murphys-Jimeurgrog- I have a memory or two to share. My Grandmother frequently visited Deerfield Beach to see her sister. When she returned, she brought with her THE MOST BEAUTIFUL fragrance I have ever smelled-Green Orchid by Patricia Murphy. While I wish I might have been to one of the restaurants, I can clearly imagine the scenario. I have been scouring perfume shops and counters for 30 years to find this fragrance of perfection. Sadly, no one that I have talked to ever heard of it. Does anyone here have any idea where I might find info about where the formula for it may have gone?
I can give you an amusing little story. When I could coax no more spray from the last container of perfume Gram had brought home, I decided what the heck. She had also brought home a can of room fragrance (the can looked almost as pretty as the perfume can). I used it as a body spray until it was gone- It didn't seem to matter. People always told me how beautiful I smelled when I wore it! IF anyone has any ideas or clues-I'd be very thankful! Peace and safety to you all this HolidayClarice

morningglory
  • Total Posts : 559
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 05/26/07 10:22 PM
Wow, this thread has certainly brought up some wonderful, and up until now, long forgotten memories.

I lived in White Plains from '69-'71, when I got married. Bloomingdale Road. Those were the days, my friends, I thought they would never end.

I remember many great times at Patricia Murphy's, tho, after all these long years, would not be able to say exatly where it was.

Well, a marriage, hubby's military career, two girls and 30 years or more later, I am a dedicated CA transplant.

But, I want to thank you for reminding me of some very wonderful times. Ah, to go back and be young, again.....

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!

birdwoman
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 10/24/07 6:14 PM
Probably nobody will see this since the last post was in December! I'm thinking about Patricia Murphy's today, having inherited salt and pepper shakers from my mother that she'd appropriated from Patricia Murphy's. They were sold in the gift shop. Now these lovely hourglass style shakers with chrome tops from the 1960's are just as beautiful as ever--and timeless.

ct1955
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 12/1/07 9:45 PM
Patricia Murphy's restaurant- back in the early 60's the baseball coaches of our Little League(Henry S Richards)would take us there to collect donations from the customers as they entered the restaurant.My parents would take me there for an ice cream sundae after a school performance at PS 32.It was just north of Tuckahoe Rd. in Yonkers.

littlebear
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Mon, 12/24/07 9:40 PM

ah, Patricia Murphy's!!!!! What wonderful times I had there. It was a special place for family events. I particularly remember my 18th birthday. As I recall, the restaurant was set up in a long line of 'rooms'. We were in the one furthest from the kitchen, and when dessert was served, there came the waiting staff, out of the kitchen and through each room, carrying my birthday cake and singing 'Happy Birthday'. By the time they arrived at our table, everyone in the restaurant had joined the singing. Embarrassing? Yes. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We also enjoyed the Lorraine Murphy's restaurant in Manhasset for many years. I don't know for sure which restaurant had it, but I remember a large, beautiful pond -- with a huge weeping willow tree. That is still a place I go to when I need somewhere to go mentally when I am upset.

neworleans
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Thu, 03/27/08 8:28 PM
Patricia Murphy - What memories. We used to go to the one in Manhattan - after my aunts would take us to do our Christmas shopping. It was always a treat - we were in elementary school. And yes - the popovers were great. I grew up in New York but now live in New Orleans - a whole new and wonderful food adventure!

ludwig
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 04/20/08 5:06 PM
I never knew as much as I have learned here about Patricia Murphy's as I have here---I personally knew her as she was my employer---I was her Orchid grower at the estate in Deerfield--which most people did not know about in Florida. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale at that time and did not know that there was a Ft. Lauderdale restaurant (1970s) though nearly everyone at that time went to the Polynesian near Sears on Federal Highway at that time for special events in Ft. Lauderdale. I did know about the Deerfield-Boca Restaurant because that was the one I was associated with. To work at the Polynesian; you had to be from Hawaii supposedly or American Samoa which was not true at the Boca-Deerfield Beach Restaurant. This was THE restaurant in the area south of Deerfield that nearly everyone went to for their special occasion---weddings, wedding anniversaries, high school graduation, bar mitzvahs, even the death of a loved one.

The estate where "Ms." Murphy lived was large, out in the swamps and we had more than some 50-thousand Cattleyas (the big classic corsage orchid that women wore back then and today Japanese men do) to look after. We would change them out according to what was in bloom or fading. These days every time I see the British sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances"---I think of those days---crisp linens, sterling silverware, fine china and crystal, wait staff that was always on their toes who tended customer's every need (if they did not they did not last long---the restaurant had a reputation for a while being a hard place to work at since even the slightest hint of sloveness or rudeness was not tolerated by management), fine food, candlelight dinners to the music of falling water , a babbling brook and sometimes a live String Quartet and tropical plants---orchids by the tons, tree ferns, Monsteriosa philodendrons et al and food that was so sapidly delicious as to be piacular.

I did not know until now that things had been runned into Bankruptcy---which is sad but I can see why with the expenses of running at least the Deerfield-Boca restaurant. There was not only the usual expenses of running a restaurant but the expense of all the extras. Food portions were often just too generous—it was a common sight to see customers taking ‘doggy’ bags home with them.. One does not make a go in the restaurant business by serving more than it cost to buy and make. It would have been a truly special evening for customers if they had paid the true price of all this luxury----about two to three times the menu price. Wait staff were very well paid---it was not uncommon for some wait staff
to go home at night with as much as 700.00 in their pockets in addition to their base pay.
The cook staff also were very well paid---if you left Murphy’s on your own and did not get fired—one found that it was easy to get a job elsewhere because other restauranteurs knew that they were getting quality people when they hired former Murphy employees. Other restaurant owners would come dine with us for the purpose of stealing employees away from Murphy’s but usually left empty handed because they could not pay as well as Murphy’s did. Murphy’s employees had good benefits—free meals, good insurance with sick and vacation leave paid—which is not the usual situation in most restaurants.

Finally maintaining all those plants, fountains and waterfalls ran up utility bills more than usual----if there had been no air conditioning things might have not been quiet so expensive but when customer confort is a priority in a not so normally confortable atmosphere (due to high humidity) not to mention the cost of linens (we had some low life people come in and steal silverware and linens as souvenirs---such people found the next time they wanted to come dine with use reservations were very difficult to obtain)

The other thing that probably helped take them down was, according to what I read her, was just too many restaurants in too many places over to wide a distance and quality of service and food was bound to suffer in the process. I know these things because since working for Patricia Murphy’s ---I also have gone into the restaurant business. The restaurant business is a cruel taskmaster----it is initially more forgiving of mistakes than other businesses but if these mistakes continue ----one is punished accordingly but if one does not do too badly -----the rewards can come piling in.

swirsk53
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 04/20/08 8:23 PM
I have been searching for popovers as good as those since I went to Manhasset as a boy. I used to think they invented them. The gardens were amazing. I remember there being a floral clock. First time I ever saw that either. I remember the roast turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy etc. Sort of the precursor to road food hot turkey sandwiches? Chocolate parfaits for desert.It was at the intersection of Norther Boulevard (route 25) and the road into Pt Washington.

gcmx
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 05/16/08 12:41 AM
OMG ... what a pleasure reading this blog.

i also was a patron of the Murphy restaurants.

my parents frequented Patricia Murphy's, bringing me and my sybs all the time.

does anyone know the original Popover recipe?

i sure would like to know it . . .

talog
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Tue, 05/20/08 4:51 PM
I used to live close... I always thought that I was on top of the world when my parents took me there... In fact, that was the very first time all everyone itn the dinning rom sand Happy Birthday to me..

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Tue, 05/20/08 9:48 PM
Since we're being a little nostalgic about Yonkers & food, how about talking about another missed place that wastn't quite as fancy as PM's...Anybody remember Landy's Deli & the great wedges they turned out in the Park Hill section of Yonkers?

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 05/21/08 10:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ludwig

I never knew as much as I have learned here about Patricia Murphy's as I have here---I personally knew her as she was my employer---I was her Orchid grower at the estate in Deerfield--which most people did not know about in Florida. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale at that time and did not know that there was a Ft. Lauderdale restaurant (1970s) though nearly everyone at that time went to the Polynesian near Sears on Federal Highway at that time for special events in Ft. Lauderdale. I did know about the Deerfield-Boca Restaurant because that was the one I was associated with. To work at the Polynesian; you had to be from Hawaii supposedly or American Samoa which was not true at the Boca-Deerfield Beach Restaurant. This was THE restaurant in the area south of Deerfield that nearly everyone went to for their special occasion---weddings, wedding anniversaries, high school graduation, bar mitzvahs, even the death of a loved one.

The estate where "Ms." Murphy lived was large, out in the swamps and we had more than some 50-thousand Cattleyas (the big classic corsage orchid that women wore back then and today Japanese men do) to look after. We would change them out according to what was in bloom or fading. These days every time I see the British sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances"---I think of those days---crisp linens, sterling silverware, fine china and crystal, wait staff that was always on their toes who tended customer's every need (if they did not they did not last long---the restaurant had a reputation for a while being a hard place to work at since even the slightest hint of sloveness or rudeness was not tolerated by management), fine food, candlelight dinners to the music of falling water , a babbling brook and sometimes a live String Quartet and tropical plants---orchids by the tons, tree ferns, Monsteriosa philodendrons et al and food that was so sapidly delicious as to be piacular.

I did not know until now that things had been runned into Bankruptcy---which is sad but I can see why with the expenses of running at least the Deerfield-Boca restaurant. There was not only the usual expenses of running a restaurant but the expense of all the extras. Food portions were often just too generous—it was a common sight to see customers taking ‘doggy’ bags home with them.. One does not make a go in the restaurant business by serving more than it cost to buy and make. It would have been a truly special evening for customers if they had paid the true price of all this luxury----about two to three times the menu price. Wait staff were very well paid---it was not uncommon for some wait staff
to go home at night with as much as 700.00 in their pockets in addition to their base pay.
The cook staff also were very well paid---if you left Murphy’s on your own and did not get fired—one found that it was easy to get a job elsewhere because other restauranteurs knew that they were getting quality people when they hired former Murphy employees. Other restaurant owners would come dine with us for the purpose of stealing employees away from Murphy’s but usually left empty handed because they could not pay as well as Murphy’s did. Murphy’s employees had good benefits—free meals, good insurance with sick and vacation leave paid—which is not the usual situation in most restaurants.

Finally maintaining all those plants, fountains and waterfalls ran up utility bills more than usual----if there had been no air conditioning things might have not been quiet so expensive but when customer confort is a priority in a not so normally confortable atmosphere (due to high humidity) not to mention the cost of linens (we had some low life people come in and steal silverware and linens as souvenirs---such people found the next time they wanted to come dine with use reservations were very difficult to obtain)

The other thing that probably helped take them down was, according to what I read her, was just too many restaurants in too many places over to wide a distance and quality of service and food was bound to suffer in the process. I know these things because since working for Patricia Murphy’s ---I also have gone into the restaurant business. The restaurant business is a cruel taskmaster----it is initially more forgiving of mistakes than other businesses but if these mistakes continue ----one is punished accordingly but if one does not do too badly -----the rewards can come piling in.

This is so interesting! Thanks.
And you got us to thinking about the "behind the scenes" stuff.esp. with the gardens.

willieh
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 06/14/08 5:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gcmx

OMG ...
does anyone know the original Popover recipe?
i sure would like to know it . . .

Growing up in Crestwood, near Walt Whitman Jr HS, PM was our dress-up grown-up place, too. Imagine my surprise today when I found a book from 1961 called : "Glow of Candlelight, the Story of PM, her life, her food service and her garden magic" A panorama picture of the Central Ave restaurant! And the recipe for her popovers!
"Put 1/3 tsp butter or Crisco ineach muffin pan (or custard cup). Heat in oven 5 minutes while you are mixing batter.
1/4 tsp salt 1 cup sifted flour 1 cup milk 2 eggs 1 tbsn butter, melted
Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Beat eggs with rotary beater, add milk, butter and sift in flout, beating only enough to make a smooth batter. Fill hot muffin pans one-third full of the mixture. Bake in hot (450) oven 30 minutes, then at 350 for 15 minutes or until firm, brown and popped. Keep oven door closed while baking. Makes 6 large or 9 small.

robinhebert
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Tue, 07/1/08 2:09 AM
Hi folks. I just joined and how I found you was a search for Patricia Murphy's Restaurant because I just made popovers. I saw a show on Food Network about popovers and that started the trip down memory lane!
I told my hubby and daughter about Patricia Murphys.
We used to go there in the 60's. I remember the candles and I remember the gardens...the sundial with the beautiful flowers. What an awesome experience. But I still remember the taste of those popovers! Mine came out good but not as good as theirs!!!
I now live in WA and I'm 52....but dinner at Patricia Murphys will forever be etched in my mind. I'm from Brooklyn originally.

kozel
  • Total Posts : 810
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Tue, 07/1/08 6:11 AM
Welcome to the board robinhebert!

katcoo
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 07/5/08 1:02 PM
Hello,
I came across this string of messages because I was also searching for Green Orchid perfume. And I joined this forum specifically to reply to this string. Hope it's not too old. You can email me directly to klinc2000@gmail.com.
I also remember this perfume from my childhood. Each time my mother would visit New York, or someone she worked with would visit New York, I would receive a bottle of the perfume. I just loved it! I also wanted to know if perhaps it was still around - but unfortunately no such luck. I did manage to locate on Ebay an empty bottle of the spray. It may still be available if you're interested. Pehaps someone from the family could find out if the recipe for the perfume still exists. Soemone must know about it? Who knows - this could be a whole new business for someone. If anyone does start to produce it again - please keep me informed!
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Claricei

quote:

Hello to all-
I just joined because I have been searching for anything about Patricia Murphys-Jimeurgrog- I have a memory or two to share. My Grandmother frequently visited Deerfield Beach to see her sister. When she returned, she brought with her THE MOST BEAUTIFUL fragrance I have ever smelled-Green Orchid by Patricia Murphy. While I wish I might have been to one of the restaurants, I can clearly imagine the scenario. I have been scouring perfume shops and counters for 30 years to find this fragrance of perfection. Sadly, no one that I have talked to ever heard of it. Does anyone here have any idea where I might find info about where the formula for it may have gone?
I can give you an amusing little story. When I could coax no more spray from the last container of perfume Gram had brought home, I decided what the heck. She had also brought home a can of room fragrance (the can looked almost as pretty as the perfume can). I used it as a body spray until it was gone- It didn't seem to matter. People always told me how beautiful I smelled when I wore it! IF anyone has any ideas or clues-I'd be very thankful! Peace and safety to you all this HolidayClarice

ewrcap
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 08/24/08 12:39 AM
I'm so happy to run across this forum. I have wonderful memories of visiting my grandparents in Lantana, FL in the 60's and 70's. Often the highlight of the trip was a visit to Patricia Murphy's in Fort Lauderdale and later to The Cascades in Deerfield Beach. We would all dress up in our best Sunday clothes and my grandmother would wear her little mink wrap with the head still attached. How morbid I thought!

The food was always good and the popovers were the best I have had. The only other place I have ever had such good popovers is Paulettes in Memphis, TN on Overton Square.

Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.

lawdog
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 09/10/08 11:59 AM
I have fond memories of PM in Yonkers. We were originally from Torrington, Connecticut and I brought my soul mate there befeore we were married, in 1960. I remember the restaurant as such a special place, of course the popovers, but they also had a dessert called Candelelight Pie made with 2 ingerdients, sweetened condensed milk and fresh lime juice. No bake....it was fabulous!

Laur09
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sat, 09/13/08 9:53 PM
Cavandre, yes! I absolutely remember Landy's wedges! My brother, sisters and I craved them for years after Landy's closed and still wish we could get them to this day. I grew up in Yonkers in the 60's - 70's (PS 32/Burroughs/Roosevelt) I'm in NJ now but visit family there every couple of weeks.

I was too young to have gone to Patricia Murphey's in Yonkers, but remember strolling around the grounds with my friends after they had closed down. The bridge with the pond underneath and the koi fish were still there and I remember looking in the front door. Too sad. My family remembers the popovers. The PM site on Central Ave (right next to Sadore Lane) was made into a shopping center (what else?) with a Waldbaum's which is now a Staples. I also remember Tropic Freeze on Tuckahoe Road (McD's there now) and Tropical Acres - didn't they have a big neon palm tree on their sign? The Tropical Acres site was a Ground Round for a long time and is now a Boulder Creek Steakhouse.

Does anyone remember the restaurants in Cross County? The Red Coach Grill up on the hill near Wanamaker's, Wilskers with their amazing cheesecake and Horn & Hardart (now Burger King) on the corner by Gimbels (now Macy's)? There was an elderly (to me) nun that used to sit outside collecting donations in a cardboard box. I spilled a milkshake there once - LOL! Thanks to all for this great thread and all the cool memories!

Look what I just found:

http://www.cardcow.com/93716/patricia-murpheys-candlelight-restaurant-park-ave-yonkers-us-state-town-views-new-york-yonkers/

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Mon, 09/15/08 8:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Laur09

There was an elderly (to me) nun that used to sit outside collecting donations in a cardboard box.

Always had my doubts about exactly where that money was going?

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3663
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Mon, 09/15/08 9:46 AM
I have Patrica Murphy's "Glow of Candlelight" which is her story and the story of her restaurants. I am copying the recipe for her popovers exactly as she wrote it. (Incidentally, I had forgotten that I have an autographed copy of this book and her autograph reads as follows "With personal good regards Patricia Murphy Westchester New York 1964"

Now for the recipe:

PATRICA MURPHY'S POPOVERS

Put 1/2 tsp. butter or Crisco in each muffin pab (or custrd cup)Heat in oven 3 minutes while mixing batter.

1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sifted flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 Tablesoon butter, melted (or Crisco)

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Beat eggs with a rotary beater, add milk, butter and sift in the flour, beating long enough only to make a smooth batter. Fill hot muffin cups (or custard cups one third full of the mixture. bake in hot (450 degrees) oven for 30 minutes and then in 350 dree over for 15 minutes or until firm, brown, and popped Keep oven door closed while baking. Makes 6 large or 9 small.

NYchzck
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 10/15/08 2:52 AM
Holy cow, I was just telling my husband about this very special memory from my childhood in the city....Patricia Murphy's. It was a place that made me feel so very loved and adored when my parent's took me. It was the place I celebrated my birthdays and I thought I was a real princess when I arrived there. I was born in '63 and I'll never forget Patricia Murphy's. I too, learned how to act and eat like a lady in this fine establishment, too bad places like this no longer exist for kids and their parents. I'm so grateful for the internet and the opportunity to share this most wonderful memory with many folks such as you all.

NYNM
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Wed, 10/15/08 11:41 AM
Just a comment: I am delighted to see that this post keeps being revived.

I originally started it in 2005 and every now and then someone new has a memory or story or recipe. Patricia Murphy herself (?) must be so pleased to have featured in somay people's childhoods! How's that for immortality!

Benhamid
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Tue, 11/4/08 9:17 PM
Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant 12-14 East 49th Street NY.
I used to work for this great place and still have wonderful memories about it. I knew Miss Patricia Murphy, Mr. John Rogers, Mr. Camilucci and his wife Monica going back to 1964. Miss Pearl Graziul age 93 is still in touch and so is Mrs.Hannelore Vogler- Abrahim.
We are trying to get in touch with former employees of PM's and hope with success.
I made copies of all 18 pages of the subject Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant and send it to Pearl and Hannelore in New York.

katcoo
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Thu, 11/6/08 11:43 PM
Good luck with your reunion. Perhaps it will lead to some information on the Green Orchid perfume that was sold in the restaurant?

quote:
Originally posted by Benhamid

Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant 12-14 East 49th Street NY.
I used to work for this great place and still have wonderful memories about it. I knew Miss Patricia Murphy, Mr. John Rogers, Mr. Camilucci and his wife Monica going back to 1964. Miss Pearl Graziul age 93 is still in touch and so is Mrs.Hannelore Vogler- Abrahim.
We are trying to get in touch with former employees of PM's and hope with success.
I made copies of all 18 pages of the subject Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant and send it to Pearl and Hannelore in New York.

Benhamid
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Fri, 11/7/08 9:12 AM
About the Green Orchid Perfume I will ask Pearl Graziul now 93 whom was the Maitre d'whom had kept the situation under control. Pearl made sure that the staff had a good appearance and the Popover girls friendly and to serve Popovers only when still warm.
I do my best about the Green Orchid Perfume and it's whereabouts but don't you hold your breath for too long!

p.s I have been the Checker whom priced all the food checks for the waiter and waitresses.

Ben

Prender
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... - Sun, 02/8/09 12:34 PM
I spent quite a bit of time in the 38th and Madison Avenue location from 1965 until it closed. It was in our office building and probably to handy for many of us in the advertising business. The Merrill-Lynch people also spent a considerable amount of time there. The bartender was Chuck, a big, burly ex-navy guy. I saw Patricia there often. It is likely that I spoke to your father if he was there during those years. I hope that your search is successful. It was a great place!!!!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 90