SIGNAGE: important? image rich

Cheeseburger
2005/08/22 16:59:43
So I been really busy with my signs. Got the location: check! Got the ICE contact: check! Still not sure about Generator vs. temp pole (Ye gods the price of fuel, still fighting overhead and buried lines blah blah blah:))
Now to the signage....how important is that? I spent three days hand painting these buggers. They will be at a forty five degree angle from the road....one at a time. They are 42' long, bout 2' tall. How'd I do and do you think this is important? Most of all, DO YOU THINK SIGNAGE IS IMPORTANT?

Any and all feedback appreciated,
CK
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/22 17:16:30
I think signage is very important. It is how you communicate with you environment. That is how folks know you are there. It is very important.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/22 18:45:34
I have participated in three tourism council day long gatherins lately and all three times the "expert" could not stress the importance of good signage enough! One of those folks has got buses full of folks visiting spots in the middle of the Oklahoma panhandle to a very small town--no easy accomplishment. (i know that the number one sign that people NOTICE is "Clean restrooms!") I like your lettering--but might i suggest a small border on the sign--especially on that blue background-blue blends into scenery very easily-i personally would repaint the background into something more eyecatching--maybe red or even mettallic copper colored!!--if your graphic are pleasing--and your's are--you can get away with boldness easily---besides--it's COPPERheads isnt it!! Somehow i suspect that YOU do NOT blend into the background and i think your signage can reflect that--they are nice looking and i would check out the spot after seeing them--they reek of Roadfood!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/23 06:31:27
My pharmaceutical company that I worked with before I retired did considerable research on the color of signs that attract the most. They spent mega bucks and all they came up with was what Pilot Oil knew. Yellow, red and black got the most attention. That did not fit in with the professional pharmaceutical thinking and they did not use it.

In addition the word "FRESH" was a word that impressed folks a lot.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/23 07:57:54
you are 'spot on' ! home-made foods require home-made signs, simple!
i do like the idea of adding color to your sign, though. its more eye catching. maybe a rustic orange outline similating copper...
speaking of copper, i wonder how she is doing with her cart????
save me a couple dogs and fries, ck mmmmmmmmmmmm!
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/23 10:33:10
The best signage I've seen was Burma Shave's, 'way back when. I don't even remember the colors, but the idea of short, catchy, rhymed phrases made them memorable--and popular. I like your message, but (to me only!) the lettering seems distracting. Most people read pretty much left-to-right; and a consistent font might work better. Finally, maybe you need a little more empty space (do I mean wider kerning and margins?). No offense intended!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/23 10:54:59
I like the change of style between signs, I think they look great!
dreamzpainter
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/23 15:09:37
nice graphics but I agree they need more POP, like Tiki said,"--maybe red or even mettallic copper colored!!--", a copper background with red letters, 3d'd with black, but even a bright trim to make them stand out from the background (so you dont have to repaint them all) But Id definately think about redoing copperhedz... make it REALLY pop with a black background, COPPER lettering and 3d'd with red or white. I think the letter styling works great but don't forget that the road runs in 2 directions so you need to make at least 2 of each
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/23 22:56:29
Personally I like the down to earth look and feel.. Nice signs!
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/24 08:02:50
Thanks so much for the great responses and advice....I have lots to say to each of you, but persoanl issues have made it hard to post this week. I DO however, check here everyday for the wonderful feedback and support you have given me. I have managed to make some changes to the signs.....and will hopefully post some pics this afternoon. I believe I have achieved more "pop" while still maintaining the down home appeal. I wanted to say quickly, Chicagostyledogs-your setup was awesome, thanks for the link to your cart.

Will talk very soon and respond to emails ASAP,
with warmest regards,
CK
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/24 10:02:59
I've found that a unique logo is really helpful. While very few remember my name, everyone associates the dancing pigs with my restaurant.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/24 10:40:24
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

The best signage I've seen was Burma Shave's, 'way back when. I don't even remember the colors, but the idea of short, catchy, rhymed phrases made them memorable--and popular. I like your message, but (to me only!) the lettering seems distracting. Most people read pretty much left-to-right; and a consistent font might work better. Finally, maybe you need a little more empty space (do I mean wider kerning and margins?). No offense intended!

Hi Rick,
Burma Shave's signs were red with white lettering. Here is a link to some of their slogans that graced the highways until the early 1960's:
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/burma1.htm
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 14:02:23

Here is an update on the signs. I thank you so much for your input and apologize for not showing you the results sooner. I considered ALL the input that folks took the time to contribute.

I was not all that clear about the intent, purpose, blah, blah, and blah. These are things I will now point out that I neglected to in the initial post.

1. These signs are for familiarizing traveling customers with the coming event. NOT the permananent ones. :) I should have made that clear from the get go.

2. My location does not have sign "competition". This is the only communication on the landscape between my prospective customer and myself. I am on a hill with only a backdrop of trees. I have a visibility of approx. 1/4 -1/2 mile (remember the red umbrellas. I do believe the signs needed to "POP" more.......but perhaps not as much as one might think. (depends on where you live).

SUNDANCER7- I am glad you agree to the importance of signage. I have found myself expecting customers to "read my mind" many times. (and other situations also) I incorporated the word fresh (great advice)into the signage although you will not see it on the following photos. "FRESH" will be on a smaller sign above the "hand-cut fries one". Thank you for pointing that out. While marketing my Biz in countless places, hand-cut fries was an instant winner with everyone to which I spoke, and I thought that the best place to include your suggestion.:) Heartfelt thanks.

TIKI- You got ahold of my attention right off......perhaps you know someone like me, I feel we may be sisters? I was thinking almost the same thing as you. Just needed your voice, much thanks. I have added to the signs, feel free to voice your opinion. The blue background is a stain that will fade with time. The rest will not...... I have opted for the "Eclectic" look....which is my personal taste. "New and Old". Thanks for your time and measured input. :)

BASSROCKER- You always get my attention when you post, thanks for you time and sharing your experience. :). I like the down-home feel of the signs too, and agree with you about a little more color. Copper is doing "jess fine" now that she is focused on the positive again. I will hold you a dog and fries until the "cows come home"

CHICAGOSTYLEDOG- You made a good point about red and yellow (although it reminds me of mustard and ketch.....YUCK!) I did use those colors in outlining and such, thank-you, it made a big difference to me. As far as accessing venders.......I was a manager in the corporate world and have many times called on them for help. This enterprise is more of a "down-home" project. I will however call on them when I have worked my scrawny fingers to the bone. Thanks for reminding me. BTW, I caught the photo of your cart before you removed it, that's what I was referring to, and I am glad you chose to repost the link, do you have a recent photo? Its gorgeous.

RICK F. No you did not offend me. What good is feed-back if you gonna get a 'TUDE (attitude)? How did you know I read right to left, does it show that easily? :) No offense taken.
As far as more margin, you could be right. The first portrait I did when I was twelve I painted off of the canvas and have done so ever since. Probably not a good idea when it comes to signage, thanks.

KLAND01S- In short, so do I. It is a reflection of my nature....easily bored and energized. I AINT PAINTING 5 SIGNS WITH THE SAME STYLE! I like it too, and am sticking with it, thanks to YOU.

DREAMZPAINTER- I was wondering if you were gonna stop in. Now I got a professional critiquing me?
Bwa-hahahhahahahahahahha. I was nervous about you most of all, but you were quite tender. :) These are not the permanent signs, they are just temporary, made to move around. I have made a sketch of the big sign (well its 4'x8' plywood) but I will paint it after it is installed. I did a mural/sign for an antique town once and had to paint it on a ladder off the side of the road. It taught me something-----people who drive the same route everyday are attracted to CHANGE. They can watch the "sign in progress" and it stimulates interest. Also the week before I open I will add an "open house" sign to the rest of the signs and offer free gatorade and homemade sugar cookies while they last (thank God Winn Dixie went out of Biz and everything was %70 off!). I figger I will already be there fixing up the tables and stuff, weed eating, decorating............. so why not meet people?

UNCLEVIC- me too Unc. Cos that is what I am, why advertise something you aint? ;)

SLICK- I been thinkin on that! You got a photo of the dancing pigs?????????? I would love to see it, so would everyone else I am sure. I got a sketch of a copperhead snake wrapped around a copper kettle. I been scoutin the internet for snake pics and such. Thanks!

MARK IN OHIO-those are adorable, thanks!

Copper
PS. updated sign pics to follow, remember these are just for "GRAND OPENING" only
dreamzpainter
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 14:26:35
Im rollin on tha floor over the "professonal" bit.. A sign painter I am not, although I have created a few for friends business's, the most lettering I ever did was when I was involved in autoracing. As for your signs... I see no reason to use them only for the "Grand Opening". Many of the local roadside vendors, from boiled peanits to fresh shrimp mongers and dog carts use signs announcing their presence, other wise they would just be a blur on the landscape as traffic wizzed by
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 14:34:14
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Im rollin on tha floor over the "professonal" bit.. A sign painter I am not, although I have created a few for friends business's, the most lettering I ever did was when I was involved in autoracing. As for your signs... I see no reason to use them only for the "Grand Opening". Many of the local roadside vendors, from boiled peanits to fresh shrimp mongers and dog carts use signs announcing their presence, other wise they would just be a blur on the landscape as traffic wizzed by

C'mon, Dreamz, don't be shy. If you have created a few signs for friends and done auto-racing lettering....you know the drill. Look at these.....gonna post now, ...somehow got distracted.

Its hard to face people who have done it as opposed to those who have not, when you post your "work". ;)

Copper
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 14:48:24

Here's where we stand. These signs will be close to the ground on an eye-level hill to the right. Excuse my un-cut grass, the lawnmower has decided it is time to retire. I picked the wrench up once .....but threw it down for the paintbrush instead. :).

1. This is sorta how they will be set up.....one at a time. This way I can mix them up and use them later. The distance of Camera is approx. 25' from "Coming Soon". And other signs are 12'-15' apart.

It is a very country atmosphere on the hill, so I made pics in my yard. This is not the actual location although a close simile.

I haven't quite finished the lettering, but I thing they look much better.

These are just signs to alert folks to the coming event. I will use them later for other purposes, but for now I will set out (when their legs are on) and attach strings of flags to catch the eye.

Dreamz, will you help me with the logo....by that I mean critique?

Copperhed

dreamzpainter
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 15:10:04
Your last post got me thinking... an image of a redhead stirring a copper kettle with a snake headed paddle.......maybe a little to bizzare... perhaps a steaming copper kettle with a snake coiled at the base? maybe a poisonous snake isn't a good image for a food cart. The signs look good although I was thinking of adding a border of painted 1x4 to the signs, what you did works... Id still go for more 3d effect on the lettering or drop down shadowing
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 15:39:30
I'll post the link instead of the PIC. This PIC was taken a couple of months after I opened 22 months ago.

http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/c/cmorrow/4.jpg
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 15:48:57

EWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
SLICK- that is one gorgeous photo. Your "place" is absolutely charming. Why did you not post the photo directly to the thread? Am I doing something wrong I should be aware of?

Copperhed
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 15:59:38

LOOK EVERYBODY!
Isn't this the most "precious" place you ever saw?

Copper
Slick, if ya wanna remove it email.
dreamzpainter
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 16:19:30
now that halloween is almost upon us (at least the stores seem to think so) look for a plastic caldron then a lil copper spray paint and..........
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 16:22:29
quote:
Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

LOOK EVERYBODY!
Isn't this the most "precious" place you ever saw?

Copper
Slick, if ya wanna remove it email.

EEEkkkk! Snow in Texas??

Armegeddon.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 16:28:34
quote:

Your last post got me thinking... an image of a redhead stirring a copper kettle with a snake headed paddle.......maybe a little to bizzare... perhaps a steaming copper kettle with a snake coiled at the base? maybe a poisonous snake isn't a good image for a food cart. The signs look good although I was thinking of adding a border of painted 1x4 to the signs, what you did works... Id still go for more 3d effect on the lettering or drop down shadowing

A poisonous snake is perfect for my joint!
Just you wait till I show you my "REAL" signs. I love 3-D and shading.
Ya wanna post some of your work here?
Why the He// not?

Copperhed
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 16:40:05
Thanks, Copper. It's not a problem with me. I just thinking to leave it optional to look or not.

Steve, not to worry. That snow was melted by the afternoon.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 18:55:14
Copper--they look great! gonna have make a trip alpong that route sime time and see if the foods as good as the signs! Good luck to ya!!! Got a feeling this operation is gonna work out just fine.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 19:23:30
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Copper--they look great! gonna have make a trip alpong that route sime time and see if the foods as good as the signs! Good luck to ya!!! Got a feeling this operation is gonna work out just fine.

Me too, tiki, me too.....
The only other times I have slept, eaten, breathed and dreamed a project...... I succeeded. Cross your fingers for me. :) There's always a first time.

Does tiki stand for the Island habit of acquiring a tiki and wearing this around your neck as protection?
Copperhed
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 19:29:12
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Me too, tiki, me too.....
The only other times I have slept, eaten, breathed and dreamed a project...... I succeeded. Cross your fingers for me. :) There's always a first time.

Does tiki stand for the Island habit of acquiring a tiki and wearing this around your neck as protection?
Copperhed

actually i DID wear one of those on a leather thong for a long time and when i was in college in 65-thats how i got the name--the guy with your hair coler was Red"--(i hear he's bald now) and i became--Hye tiki guy--yea you---" and it stuck!
dreamzpainter
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/25 19:47:53

Ya wanna post some of your work here? uuumm because this is ROADFOOD!! There is a link to a small yahoo portfolio on my aol profile if anyone cares to look... http://memberdirectory.aol.com/aolus/profile?urlman=sn%3DDreamzpainter%26req%3Dvpchat
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/26 00:20:10
quote:

Ya wanna post some of your work here? uuumm because this is ROADFOOD!! There is a link to a small yahoo portfolio on my aol profile if anyone cares to look... http://memberdirectory.aol.com/aolus/profile?urlman=sn%3DDreamzpainter%26req%3Dvpchat

Thanks for the link... But it wants a username and password.. Should be a direct link to the portfolio?
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/26 01:09:11

You work is beautiful. I see no reason it does not fit into signage/visuals/eyecatchers. Although all could stand alone, I think this one begs (below) for lettering as you described in an earlier post. I LOVE mural/signage/art. Makes the best marketing visual. Thanks for sharing. This is my favorite one!

Copperhed
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/26 01:13:45
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

uuumm because this is ROADFOOD!! There is a link to a small yahoo portfolio on my aol profile if anyone cares to look... http://memberdirectory.aol.com/aolus/profile?urlman=sn%3DDreamzpainter%26req%3Dvpchat

Thanks for the link... But it wants a username and password.. Should be a direct link to the portfolio?

You can register with AIM here.
http://www.aim.com/ That's how I was able to view as I am registered there :)
Copperhed

UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/26 02:37:27
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

uuumm because this is ROADFOOD!! There is a link to a small yahoo portfolio on my aol profile if anyone cares to look... http://memberdirectory.aol.com/aolus/profile?urlman=sn%3DDreamzpainter%26req%3Dvpchat

You can register with AIM here.
http://www.aim.com/ That's how I was able to view as I am registered there :)
Copperhed

Nothing personal... But I will not let AOL have any info pertaining to me (that includes name, email, IP address, zip code, etc)! Want nothing to do with that corporation (other then to view their pages at will without a login or cookie attached)...
dreamzpainter
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/26 14:20:19
perhaps this will work better... Yahoo! Photos - dreamzpa1nter'sYahoo! Photos - canicurundies's Photos - a wander trough my book Photos - my portfolio
dreamzpainter
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/26 14:26:34
one more try.......... http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/canicurundies/album?.dir=ca2f&.src=ph and thank you copper for the to kind words
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: SIGNAGE: important? image rich 2005/08/27 15:12:52

I had no problem viewing, Dreamz. This one is a gorgeous sign/message. Definitely an eye-catcher. That's what signage is, right?

And Slick's dancing pigs are too cute! How could anyone see this set-up and not remember? REEKS of personality.

Thanks all for your input. As was pointed out earlier by Sundancer, signs are how we communicate with the environment. I think its time for an Off-Topic thread, now that I realize how many talented and creative visual artists we have here on Roadfood.com.

Copperhed.