Marco Pollo Chicken

startrooper00
  • Total Posts : 110
  • Reward points : 0
Marco Pollo Chicken - Fri, 08/26/05 12:04 AM
Ok,
Back in the late 70's or early 80's there was a chain of chicken restraunts called Marco Pollo Chicken. They offered skinless chicken and they didn't seem to go over that well back then. Everyone I have talked to don't remember it...but I know that they existed...Does anyone else remember?

BillC
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Fri, 08/26/05 7:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by startrooper00

Ok,
Back in the late 70's or early 80's there was a chain of chicken restraunts called Marco Pollo Chicken. They offered skinless chicken and they didn't seem to go over that well back then. Everyone I have talked to don't remember it...but I know that they existed...Does anyone else remember?

I guess not too many people remember, but I do. There was one out by where I used to work (a suburb of Cincinnati). I first ate there in '85. By the late 80's it was gone. Which is too bad. It was really good chicken. In fact a friend who worked with me at the time talked about how good it was as late as last year. As good as their chicken was, I can't remember what their sides were. Do you?

startrooper00
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Sat, 08/27/05 9:52 PM
Hey, BillC

Thanks, at least I know I am not crazy...I remember the one on Mall Road next to Chi-Chi's... Unfortunately, I don't remember the sides that they had...but their chicken was awesome.

BillC
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Sun, 08/28/05 9:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by startrooper00

Hey, BillC

Thanks, at least I know I am not crazy...I remember the one on Mall Road next to Chi-Chi's... Unfortunately, I don't remember the sides that they had...but their chicken was awesome.

One last thought. The chicken was marinated in something really good, but how was it cooked? My memory is that it was actually cooked over an open fire of some kind in a kitchen that was visible thru plexiglass(or something like it) panels. That may not be true. Do you remember?

dcorn
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Sun, 11/13/05 10:15 PM
I remember marco pollo chicken, they were served with flour tortillas. The chicken was very good. there is now a Wendys where pollo used to be in fort wayne, IN on maplecrest rd

cookdwcs
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Sat, 11/19/05 12:53 AM
They are building a new Marco Pollo here in Albuquerque on Montgomery NE and Eubank. Might be done early next year. I was wondering what it was. Now I'm excited!

foodforfun
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Tue, 01/3/06 12:32 PM
My husband and I loved Marco Pollo chicken. Any chance anyone knows the recipe? I remember seeing the chickens cooked on a rotisserie.

senorchile
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Mon, 01/9/06 6:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by cookdwcs

They are building a new Marco Pollo here in Albuquerque on Montgomery NE and Eubank. Might be done early next year. I was wondering what it was. Now I'm excited!

senorchile
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Mon, 01/9/06 6:26 PM
I am the owner of the new Marco Pollo Charbroiled Chicken restuarant in Alb. We will be opening in early March 2006. Our chicken is marinated in fruit juices and garlic then grilled over an open flame until the skin is crisp. Our side items include freshly made beans w/green chile, rice, grilled vegetables, and coleslaw with sunflower seeds, pineapple, and marshmellows. Additionally we have chicken enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, and Green Chile soup. Breakfast burritos, tacos, and bluecorn pancakes will be served for breakfast.Please come by!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Mon, 01/9/06 7:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by senorchile

I am the owner of the new Marco Pollo Charbroiled Chicken restuarant in Alb. We will be opening in early March 2006. Our chicken is marinated in fruit juices and garlic then grilled over an open flame until the skin is crisp. Our side items include freshly made beans w/green chile, rice, grilled vegetables, and coleslaw with sunflower seeds, pineapple, and marshmellows. Additionally we have chicken enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, and Green Chile soup. Breakfast burritos, tacos, and bluecorn pancakes will be served for breakfast.Please come by!

Good luck with your new venture. It really sounds good to me. When you wish to advertise your new ventue, please advise management of roadfoood.com.

Wwhat you have posted is interesting but is considered advertisement and MUST be approved befoe posting.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

cooperkel
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Fri, 07/7/06 5:43 PM
YUM!! I am completely in love with Marco Pollo! We live in the neighborhood across the street in Albuquerque so we watched with GREAT interest as it was being built. My husband and I are both bodybuilders so we are happy to find something that fits in with our diet. We walk over once a week for our "eat out" meal and we have not been disappointed yet. We have not tried anything other than the chicken and the salsa bar.

We did try to mimic the flavor of the chicken but just couldn't get it exactly right. Got the crispy skin (plenty of charcoal and a healthy sense of humor)!

willd2da
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Wed, 07/2/08 2:23 PM
I guess I'm quite like everyone else. I know there was a restaurant by the name of Marco Pollo like you say back in the late 70's and early 80's. This chicken was the bomb, and oh how I wish it was still around. I ask other if they remember it here in Fresno, CA, but no one seem to remember - guess I'm getting old. Did or have anyone got a hold of the recipe yet for this very tasting chicken? I sure like to savor it once again.

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Wed, 07/2/08 2:50 PM
There are several El Pollo Loco restaurants in Arizona that serve basically the same type of chicken.

willd2da
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Wed, 07/2/08 5:39 PM
We do have three El Pollo Loco's here, and yes they do have good tasting chicken that's better then nothing, but as far as my taste buds take me back, it's still not the same as the Marco Pollo chicken tasted. I rather have El Pollo Loco's chicken then KFC's or Popeye's.

BarenakedChef
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Mon, 07/7/08 5:26 PM
But the owner above said he left the skin on the chicken...is it the same one?

willd2da
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Tue, 07/8/08 3:01 PM
Yes, the chicken did have skin on, that is if it did not come off in the cooking process. I would like to even get a hold of a recipe that can even come close to the taste, and do it myself and try add different ingredients at times. If someone lives in a place where a Marco Pollo Chicken Restaurant is, I'd appreciate it if you could overnight me some.

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Tue, 07/8/08 7:25 PM
The one here in Plano, TX only lasted a few months.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
RE: Marco Pollo Chicken - Mon, 07/14/08 11:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by plb

The one here in Plano, TX only lasted a few months.

Very few "unique" restaurants last very long in the Dallas/Plano area.
Go figure.