A Slice of Brooklyn

Filet Mignon
2005/08/26 21:02:42
I just got a brochure about a bus tour in Brooklyn: "A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour"
It's a 4 hr tour. You stop at 2 "pizza parlors" (Grimaldi's and L&B Spumoni Gardens)as well a sightsee. It costs $45 a person (not sure if pizza is included or you pay extra) which sound like a ripoff to me. On the other hand, I grew up in Brooklyn, so a "Brooklytn tour" maybe is no bargain to me. It got good reviews on its website www.verve.com/BKNYpizza.
Does anyone know any more about this?
BKNY64
Junior Burger
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2005/09/04 13:45:38
The correct website address is www.bknypizza.com and it's not a ripoff at all.

For $45 you get 2 slices and a soft drink at each pizza place as well as visiting famous landmarks, movie locations and points of interest in Brooklyn during the 4 1/2 hour tour.

You can read the many positive reviews about the tour on the "reviews" page on the website.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2006/05/24 23:28:34
The price of their tour is up to $55 $75 pp(as of April 2008), which does seem like a bit of money to me, but I guess if you are a tourist with money to burn in NYC, you could probably do worse.

I did my own tour of Brooklyn, though. I did the walk across the bridge, Grimaldi's and the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

[url='http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/481417827_8231f454f3_o.jpg']Hi_res version[/url]

If you want more pictures and the full write-up, check out the rest here: http://styok.blogspot.com/
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2006/05/24 23:40:34
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

The price of their tour is up to $55 pp, which does seem like a bit of money to me, but I guess if you are a tourist with money to burn in NYC, you could probably do worse.

I did my own tour of Brooklyn, though. I did the walk across the bridge, Grimaldi's and the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

Hey, I would pay $55 if it included a copy of the picture! I like the blog too!.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2006/05/25 00:17:23
Thanks, Tony. You can take a copy of the picture if you like. Just right-click and go to "save image as." I am no professional, so if you like it, take it!

Then, send $55 to stevekoe via paypal!
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2006/05/25 16:03:37
Stevekoe:

I enjoy your version of the tour also. Stay around sometime for dinner (after dark) at the "River Cafe" across the parking lot from the ice cream factory. You will get a great meal and an outstanding view of the Manhattan skyline across the river. I also like to take the water taxi from that location and do my own little tour by spending some time at the various stops on Manhattan and then back to River Street.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2006/05/25 17:45:54
I understand that River Cafe is very nice (a "date" place, if you will). The next time that I think I have a date in NY, I may just do that! Any time that anyone has ever recommended the River Cafe to me, though, they always rave about the view. Tell me, is the food any good? My only problem with going only for the view is that my opportunity cost is missing out on another NYC dining option. There are just so many really good places that I want to go to, and so (relatively) little time for me to be there!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2006/05/25 17:54:09
Steve, I read your Brooklyn Bridge post this morning. Great story. Plus, you're getting real good with that camera!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2006/05/25 18:22:08
Thanks! As I have told a few people already -- I think that you become a better photographer once you own a digital camera. The ability to erase most of your pictures before anyone sees them makes a world of difference!
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2008/04/28 10:26:47
Looks like there's a new Pizza tour in town, with a better publicist:

From today's NY Daily News:

http://tinyurl.com/5r4en7

Pizza tour leads cheese-and-sauce faithful to city's cream of the crust
BY JOTHAM SEDERSTROM
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, April 28th 2008, 4:00 AM

No bus tour ever tasted this good.

New York City — already home to a "Sex and the City" tour, a TV and movie trek and a Harlem gospel expedition — has a new attraction sure to please tourist taste buds.

Each Sunday, Scott's Pizza Tour will sample the slices at a half-dozen of the city's famed pie palaces like John's in Greenwich Village and Totonno's in Coney Island.

"This is like a dream, this pizza tour. It's great," said Chris Brady, 28, a Massachusetts customer service rep who downed 10 slices at five pizzerias yesterday during the tour's maiden voyage.

"I just wish I didn't have breakfast. I could've had more."

The trek is the brainchild of Scott Wiener, a New Jersey resident who quit his job as events coordinator for the City of Hoboken to launch the tour.

Pizza lovers with $55 to spare can tool around in a school bus on the first citywide pizza tour, which will hit premier pizzerias on a rotating basis.

Wiener is hoping to feature up-and-coming joints — like Luzzo's in the East Village, yesterday's second stop — as well as established favorites.

"They may not have the track record of Lombardi's or John's, but their pizza is still on the same level," said Wiener, 26, who said his personal favorite among the 130 pizzerias he's visited citywide — Brooklyn's Grimaldi's — will be on an upcoming junket.

Don't look for a Jersey stop anytime soon.

"A lot of pizzerias in Hoboken don't try very hard because they don't need to," Wiener said about pies in Frank Sinatra's hometown. "The market doesn't demand it. The standard is low."

At Patricia's in the Bronx, where workers dished out free extra helpings of the Neapolitan-style Margherita pie, Jon Anzalone said the wood oven-cooked pie ranked high on his short list of authentic pizzerias.

"I would go back to every one of these places, but they really spoiled us here," said Anzalone, 25, of Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

At Lombardi's, billed as the country's first-ever pizzeria, fans enjoyed the famed coal-oven pies without waiting on the Spring St. pizzeria's infamously long lines.

"Take a look, take a picture if you want, this is Lombardi's famous coal-oven pizza" said Wiener, who giddily showed off one of the city's few remaining coal ovens as chefs stuffed pie after pie into the 859-degree stove.

Not everyone on the tour could eat like a pro.

"I ate till I quit," said John Moyer, 53, of Pennsylvania, who inhaled 41/2 slices before calling it quits at Louie & Ernie's in the Bronx.

"Too. Much. Pizza."

Register online at www.scottspizzatours.com for the trek, which will leave from Lombardi's on Sundays starting May 11.

billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2008/04/28 10:49:48
TTM,

I don't know if you ever heard back about the River Cafe, but I took my GF there for her birthday a few years ago and it was great!! The food was fantastic and the view was too! It's definitely not RF, but a fairly pricey place to take someone special.

The service really blew me away. I ordered a steak done medium, they brought it out and it looked fabulous, but was still too rare for my liking. I tried about 2-3 bites and I just couldn't eat it. I asked the waiter over and asked if they could cook it just a bit longer so that it had some pink, but not too much. He said "Of course". While they were doing that, the kitchen sent out a scallop ceviche appetizer for me with the apologies of the chef and when the steak came out, they had replenished my potatoes and vegetable and the steak was perfect!! Highly recommend this place. Dinner for two with wine and dessert could easily set you back about $200. Hope you have the chance to try it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I understand that River Cafe is very nice (a "date" place, if you will). The next time that I think I have a date in NY, I may just do that! Any time that anyone has ever recommended the River Cafe to me, though, they always rave about the view. Tell me, is the food any good? My only problem with going only for the view is that my opportunity cost is missing out on another NYC dining option. There are just so many really good places that I want to go to, and so (relatively) little time for me to be there!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: A Slice of Brooklyn 2008/04/28 13:24:35
I still have not eaten at River Cafe, but whenever I go to Grimaldi's, I do think that I would LIKE to go there. I never REALLY doubted the food, but it is just one of those places where people talk less about the food and more about the view. I have a sneaky suspicion that in a town like New York, if the food weren't up to snuff, they wouldn't be around all that long on view alone.

The new pizza tour sounds (a) more reasonably priced; and (b) more comprehensive than the guy who is just hitting two places - one thin crust and one Sicilian-style. Also, I like a guy who says that he has been to over 130 different NYC pizzerias and agrees with me that Grimaldi's is the best!