Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas?

KokomoJoe
  • Total Posts : 264
  • Reward points : 0
Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Sun, 05/25/03 9:33 AM
As we approach our "road trip" north FL-MA (June 1,2003!)...I see that a little "stop" in Virgina Beach for lunch will be nice! We leave Rocky Mount NC and travel to New Church VA (10 mi. west of Chincateague VA)(about 5 hour drive).This will be a Monday!So if we leave Rocky Mount around 8-9 AM that will bring us into VA Beach just in time for lunch and a walk on the beach! Any suggestions for a Monday lunch there? I LOVE this web site! Can't ya tell???!!!! TTFN Thanks again!

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Sun, 05/25/03 11:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by KokomoJoe

As we approach our "road trip" north FL-MA (June 1,2003!)...I see that a little "stop" in Virgina Beach for lunch will be nice! We leave Rocky Mount NC and travel to New Church VA (10 mi. west of Chincateague VA)(about 5 hour drive).This will be a Monday!So if we leave Rocky Mount around 8-9 AM that will bring us into VA Beach just in time for lunch and a walk on the beach! Any suggestions for a Monday lunch there? I LOVE this web site! Can't ya tell???!!!! TTFN Thanks again!

If it's still there--we haven't been to Va. Beach for years--there's a place on the fishing pier called Ocean Eddie's. My wife's first genuine Roadfood-esque experience. Old weathered wood; you can look through the gaps in the floorboards and see the ocean rushing in and out beneath you.

Order the crabs. Your table's spread with butcher paper, you are brought wooden mallets and crab picks and little forks to extract the meat. Delicious. Satisfying. Relaxing.

JulesF
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Wed, 05/28/03 12:39 PM
Go to The Jewish Mother Deli. It has been ten years since I've been there, but I think it's still there because I thought I read a review recently on this site (but couldn't find it today). This is a full size restaurant that has great atmosphere. (I think ten years ago, you could color on the walls or something!) The food is great-huge portions, delicious sandwiches and desserts, a short walk from the beach, among the shops. This deli was recommended to us ten years ago from a former resident of the area. I'll take suggestions for places to eat in Va Beach, too: we are going in two weeks!

KokomoJoe
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Wed, 05/28/03 2:28 PM
JulesF: I just did a search in Google and found "The Jewish Mother" 3108 Pacific Ave. Virginia Beach VA 757-422-5430 ! Sounds like a real possibility! But keep those responses coming! Love this site don't ya?!Thanks again! TTFN

JulesF
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Wed, 05/28/03 4:50 PM
KokomoJoe:

Thanks for the info on Jewish Mother. Love this website, too. This was my first post. I bought a Roadfood book about 2 months ago from a cooking book club and for kicks decided to look this up. It's great! Wish I traveled more to try all the recommendations! Have a great trip! ANYONE ELSE RESPONDING FOR VA BEACH: thanks. We'll be staying for 3 days. Besides Ocean Eddie's, any other recommendations for seafood places in the Va Beach/Newport News/Norfolk areas? JulesF

KokomoJoe
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Wed, 05/28/03 5:31 PM
jULESf: iLL TRY TO POST AGAIN BEFORE YOU GO TO va bEACH (W/IN 2 WEEKS) re: restaurants in VA Beach! I don't think I'll be able to write any posts between June 1 and June 6 tho!I'll be on the road! Take care! TTFN

BBQ Barney
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Thu, 05/29/03 9:16 PM
Kokomo--

Two weeks ago we enjoyed The Crab Shack at the foot of the James River bridge in Newport News. Coming from the south, it's just about as easy to go that way than through the heart of Va Beach. If in Va Beach I give you one more vote for Jewish Mother.

KokomoJoe
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Fri, 05/30/03 10:01 AM
Definitely a stop at "Jewish Mother"!!!!!!!!!!

Leonora
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Mon, 06/2/03 8:28 PM
I grew up in Va. BEach, and my parents still live there. Most of the time I go OUT of town to eat. The Jewish Mother has lost some of its allure in recent years, but if you go, I recommend The Linda Baby Special. Another great beach spot, is Mahi Mahs on ATlantic and I want to say 6th St. It's in a Ramada Inn, but don't let that dissuade you. Try the Cobb Salad, tuna nachos, and a margarita. Gorgeous view.

JulesF
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Tue, 07/1/03 11:16 AM
Hi guys! KokomoJoe-how was your stop at the Jewish Mother? I agreed with Leonora, it lost some of its appeal, food and atmosphere not as good as I remembered. I did eat at Mahi Mah's, excellent food, view and service. I had the tuna nachos (big enough to feed two or three) and the crab bisque-both delicious. jmkee, we also ate at Ocean Eddies, probably my favorite meal there-it was rainy and cold most of the time we were there, so I had the seafood chowder (just wonderful!) and shrimp salad. My nine-year old especially liked throwing crackers and fries to the gulls right from our seats. Thanks for all the recommendations!

JulesF

shoemakerb
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Looks like "Lunch" in Virgina Beach! Any ideas? - Tue, 07/1/03 4:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JulesF

Go to The Jewish Mother Deli. It has been ten years since I've been there, but I think it's still there because I thought I read a review recently on this site (but couldn't find it today). This is a full size restaurant that has great atmosphere. (I think ten years ago, you could color on the walls or something!) The food is great-huge portions, delicious sandwiches and desserts, a short walk from the beach, among the shops.8D]

Yep, I went there about six weeks ago. It's still there, and everything was great. It's a block back from the beach.