how do you calulate cfm's?

Junior Burger
2005/09/01 13:14:02
need to put up new hood, does anyone have any resourses? need to be easy to understand though.
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
RE: how do you calulate cfm's? 2005/09/01 14:26:42
i don't know about where you are, but in nyc and surrounding counties, it's very regulated. the fire department checks the hood construction and the fire suppression system.

you need to know the btu's of the equipment under the hood, etc. whether or not you need a hood with make-up air. lots of details. your best bet is to find a local guy, ask for references, get various prices.

this is NOT a do-it-yourself job.

if it's not done right, and not done legally, and god forbid you have a fire, the insurance company may, and will, and will be totally justified, in denying any claims.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: how do you calulate cfm's? 2005/09/01 19:46:40
Scallion is right. Get a pro to do the calcs AND sign off on them. Professional Engineer's stamp lets you stand back and point the finger (you choose which one) and they pay when the ventalation doesn't work. Cheapest grand you ever spent.
mbnz230
Junior Burger
RE: how do you calulate cfm's? 2005/09/03 15:39:13
i just like to learn how?
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: how do you calulate cfm's? 2005/09/03 15:51:03
ask your local fire/health/code inspector for the formula they use
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: how do you calulate cfm's? 2005/09/04 00:27:06
quote:
Originally posted by mbnz230

i just like to learn how?

I did a quick search on the net.. Here's a link that may steer you in the right direction (knowledge wise)..

http://www.esmagazine.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2503,89527,00.html

You may want to further study the ASHRAE Standard 62-2001 by which this information is based on.

Here's a link to Yahoo's search results: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=kitchen+hood+calculating+cfm&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8