Memorial Day Menus

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 0
Memorial Day Menus - Sun, 05/25/03 8:24 PM
What is everyone else having tomorrow?
We are having marinated sirloin, twice baked cheesy jalapeno potatoes, corn on the cob, salad, garlic bread, fresh strawberries, watermelon, and brownies.

BBQ Barney
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Sun, 05/25/03 8:45 PM
pulled pork, barbeque beans, cole slaw and rhubarb cake--plus a little Boulevard Pale Ale!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Sun, 05/25/03 9:22 PM
We will be on the road...heading down the Ohio River to Cairo IL then up towards St Louis. If we time things right we will try the BBQ place that ORT recommended.."Shemwells". Hope the rest of the week turns out as good as Monday appears to be.
AL

pigface
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Sun, 05/25/03 10:23 PM
My Wife made the
Red Velvet Cake from Bon-Apptit tonight
White chocolate creamcheese frosting with fresh blueberries and raspberries.
I forgot what else we had ...

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Sun, 05/25/03 10:26 PM
We are having baby back ribs, grilled red potato slices, something we call colorful coleslaw (with a non-mayo drsessing), mushroom kabobs, grilled strawberry sundaes and pecan icebox cookies for dessert.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Mon, 05/26/03 12:32 AM
It is a potluck, so other people are bringing hot wings, beans and dessert, plus more meats to BBQ. I am making:

Italian cherry peppers stuffed with prosciutto and provelone, potato salad, Grilled zucchini and red peppers, corn, BBQ chicken, burgers and Johnsonville brats.

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Mon, 05/26/03 1:33 AM
I Have To Work!!!But The Money's Good!

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Mon, 05/26/03 3:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

I Have To Work!!!But The Money's Good!

I'd love to be able to work if we got overtime for it..but I'll just have to be satisfied with a paid day off :)

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Mon, 05/26/03 5:24 AM
Glen-Jenn,
It is tough wandering around aimlessly instead of dragging my tail to work each day, but I force myself!!! Retirement and roadtrips are the curse of the Working Class! Our family cookout will be Labor Day, We are off to see the River country!!
AL

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Mon, 05/26/03 6:27 AM
I finally got power back as it had been off since the tornado. I am gonna keep the menu the same as I had before: Pork Butte, burger and chicken on the grill, Brisket on the smoker and the great potato sald recipe supplied by all the roadfoood.com readers, creamy coleslaw, baked beans and a strawberry cake.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Tue, 05/27/03 3:09 AM
So, everyone, how did it go? What turned out great and what didn't? Learn any valuable lessons? I learned to have plenty of ladles and serving spoons out, and not make anything I couldn't prepare the day before. My big red oil drum BBQ was like a fine automobile, perfect! The peppers were even better than I expected: Chop prosciutto and fry til crispy, mix with diced provelone and Ricotta cheese. Stuff into hollowed-out cherry peppers, bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. I highly recommend them.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Memorial Day Menus - Tue, 05/27/03 6:34 AM
Well, my ribs were awful - dry and tasteless. Next time, I will ask for some advice from the Roadfood Ribmeisters before proceeding. On Sunday, I got a windfall of Vidalia onions, and ended up making them stuffed with bacon and chopped mushrooms and swiss cheese on top instead of the mushroom kabobs. I never knew an onion could taste so good so it sort of made up for the ribs.