Music and jukeboxes

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points : 0
Music and jukeboxes - Fri, 09/2/05 1:14 PM
Hello All,
I don't why, but I love going to eating establishments that have music playing in the background or offer a jukebox for me to select music while I eat. I hate the T.V.'s that seem to breed in so many eateries. You can discover so much about a community by the type of music on jukeboxes or by the music the establishment may choose to play. Who likes music, what type, and does it help you digest the food you eat? And for restaurant owners, does music mean anything to your customers, do you make money on jukeboxes, and any other comments you may have about the wonderful marriage between music and food.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Fri, 09/2/05 1:45 PM
There are these 2 thieves masquarading as organizations called BMI and ASCAP. If you do not subscribe to a music service and try to play your own CDs that you have purchased with your own money, mean men from one or both of these organizations will come into your business and attempt to extort hundreds of your hard earned dollars as a fee to "allow" you to play your own CD in your own business. If you do not give them the money, they will send letter after letter in between visits threatening to take you to court. When I was the chef at an ethnic restaurant we played all sorts of world music that you simply cannot get on a Musak service. These guys would come in during our busiest hours and harass the owner. She wouldn't buckle under. She never paid them 1 dime I'm proud to say.

zataar
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Fri, 09/2/05 1:48 PM
Sorry Fieldthistle, I got carried away. I love music and I love food. My favorite Indian restaurant plays great Indian dance music and bhangra.

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Fri, 09/2/05 2:11 PM
Zataar,
At our local Indian restaurant they play good background music. I love it. They usually play it too lowly for my taste.

zataar
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Fri, 09/2/05 2:17 PM
At Korma Sutra in KC the music is loud enough to add to the tres hip atmosphere, but not so loud that you can't hold a conversation. We were in a Mexican place last weekend that had absurdly loud music. I agree about TVs. I do not like televisions in a restaurant or even a bar. In the unlikely event that I ever operate another restaurant there will be no televisions.

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Fri, 09/2/05 4:01 PM
Say what you will about televisions, but a lot of my lunch cutomers bugged me until I put one in the back dining room. When something big happens they all flock there to check in on the events. I left the front one void of any noise so customers that didn't like noise could dine there. The back dining room stays the busiest.

rllgthunder
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Fri, 09/2/05 9:55 PM
I've been contemplating a TV as well but have not installed one yet. My previous hours were 10am to 6pm so I didn't see the need but now that I'm open to 8pm I'm wondering if it would help with dinner traffic. My only question is does it hurt seating turn over especially if you don't serve alcohol?

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Sat, 09/3/05 9:24 AM
My lunch customers are the ones who watch it the most. Most of them only have an hour for lunch so it doesn't slow things down. The dinner crowd doesn't pay it a lot of attention as they are usually engulfed in conversation.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Sat, 09/3/05 9:59 AM
Though I enjoy jukeboxs, I think TV is a better thing, especially for the lunch crowd. You can sit down, have your meal and catch up to whats been going on in the world.. Places around here seem to keep theirs locked on the cable news networks. But then on the flipside, I prefer tunes in the evening..

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Sat, 09/3/05 10:05 AM
Out here, we've had a proliferation of electronic juke boxes that seem to arrive at an establishment with almost no music (I presume they use MP3s) ...

If you go to say, "Best of Clapton" there may only be two cuts available, but for an extra fee it'll download another song and play it for you ... the next user gets a choice of three and so on. I always complain to the owner, who typically shruggs their shoulders and says there is nothing they can do about it (I say they colud have negotiated better) ... I'm sure these juke boxes could feature thousands of good songs, but don't due to some convoluted business model.

On ASCAP and BMI, I've heard of the harassing small businesses, like a beauty parlor or a pawn shop for playing music. I have heard that there has developed a minimum number of people to qualify for "public performance."

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Sat, 09/3/05 11:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Out here, we've had a proliferation of electronic juke boxes that seem to arrive at an establishment with almost no music (I presume they use MP3s) ...

If you go to say, "Best of Clapton" there may only be two cuts available, but for an extra fee it'll download another song and play it for you ... the next user gets a choice of three and so on. I always complain to the owner, who typically shruggs their shoulders and says there is nothing they can do about it (I say they colud have negotiated better) ... I'm sure these juke boxes could feature thousands of good songs, but don't due to some convoluted business model.

On ASCAP and BMI, I've heard of the harassing small businesses, like a beauty parlor or a pawn shop for playing music. I have heard that there has developed a minimum number of people to qualify for "public performance."

I think you are talking about the satellite jukeboxes. Like satellite radio. I would suggest that, or an old fashioned 45-player from an antiques store with blues and older songs. Both have the novelty effect.

BillC
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Sat, 09/3/05 1:09 PM
The owner of our favorite Japanese restaurant (Matsuya, Florence,KY) makes his own cd's. Sometimes Japanese pop, sometimes classical, but mostly jazz. He has excellent taste and I've always enjoyed listening to his jazz selections while we eat. I stopped in last night to get some carry out and while I was waiting for my order to be filled, I realized he was playing nothing but New Orleans jazz. Touching.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Sun, 09/4/05 5:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

There are these 2 thieves masquarading as organizations called BMI and ASCAP.

HERE HERE!!!!!! i have worked in and with the music business and musicians for over 30 yrs and in all that time i know ONE place that ever recieved a dime from any of thoise theives! and that was when we BEGGED for the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame. The bulk of the money left over after those creeps finish paying them selves for "Administration costs" goes to the top ONE PERCENT of record sales--which means that the musicians that need it the least get it the most! I always support local live music and the venues that support them and encourage all of you to do the same! I know that if have choice and can eat somewhere with a piano p[layer or a folk singer or what ever i will always pick it over the place with out music--and today with the technology out there it is more and more possible to to get recorded INDEPENDENTLY PRODUCED musc for use in yopur venue---its out there and ascap free if you know where to go-and if you are interested in how and dont know where to go--email me and i will see what i can do to help with it.

Sandy Eggo
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Music and jukeboxes - Sun, 09/11/05 8:41 PM
There's a sports bar and a pizza place I have seen (not been to) thathave little 15" plasma TV's at every booth and some on the counters. I don't get it, but I guess that's the direction our society is going. Mingle among people, but not socialize with others, just talk on your own cell phone and have your private dining out TV.