Best Ice Cream in the USA..

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Junior Burger
2003/05/26 16:23:38
The BEST ice cream in U.S.S. handsdown is Rainbow Cone. They only have one location on the South Side of the city an that is in the Beverly neighborhood, approximately 20 min. from downtown. The icecream resembles the colors of the rainbow-- from sherbert to pistachio, vanilla, strawberry and of course chocolate. This place has been in existance for well over 50 years and is NOT a chain. There's nothing like it anywhere. Also, when summer hits the line stretches for a block. Surprised Roadfood hasn't reviewed it.

It's always a big hit...especially at the annual Taste of Chicago. Only problem is they're closed in the winter.
muzzlehatch
Hamburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/13 20:06:20
Chicago is a great ice cream town; never had Rainbow Cone mesolo but I'll take your word for it; I was a northsider so my fave for the longest time was Al Gelato, an amazing italian gelato maker which had a shop in Evanston. The retail establishments (there were 3 or 4 or think all on the North shore...someone help me out) went out of business probably almost 10 years ago but you could still get pints for some time afterward. I think they're gone now which is a real shame. My favorite now on my rare visits back is Oberweiss Dairy, which has a shop on Fullerton just East of Ashland/Clybourn. Very rich and thick (and expensive!).
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/14 13:18:42
THE (main plant) Oberweiss Dairy is on my way home from work but I'm proud to say I can resist! It is very very rich and good. It has now become a small chain in the Chicago area but originates from Aurora. If you drive in the farm country here and pass a dairy farm, you might see a sign that boosts "proudly producing for Oberweiss Dairy" The Colonial Company, based in St.Charles also has been in the ice cream business since the early 1900's, theres is more of an ice milk flavor than Oberweiss' cream.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/17 20:21:53
I have found a lot of good ice cream over the years. One is Carvel in the Northeast and Florida.

What I can contribute is New England. Driving on the roads of New England is like going back to the seventies elsewhere. There must be at least two ice cream stands along the road in every town. The quality and taste vary but there is a good supply of ice cream stands back in New England.
Ted Steak
Hamburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/17 21:01:50
Speaking of good ice cream, there used to be a chain (of which one or two shops still exist) called "Kohr's Frozen Custard". Simply wonderfull stuff...and they used to have great orangeade also. That's one great childhood memory! Had their ice cream...ok, custard many times on the Asbury Pk. boardwalk while growing up
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/17 21:22:07
There may be some Carvel stands still in existence, but I think they are mostly selling their product in supermarkets nowadays.
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/17 23:14:08
I enjoy Kohr's frozen custard which still have stands on the South Jersey shore. I also vote for Bassett's of Philadelphia. Located in the Reading Terminal Market for over 100 years, also available in pints in select retailers.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/18 05:33:17
Oh my gosh, did you ever hear those wild radio ads for Carvel? The owner's folksy marble-mouthed exhortations to take home "Fudgie the whale!!! used to just crack us up.
Willly
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/18 07:40:02
I can tell you that Carvel is alive and well in CT. Still a favorite for cones, and "Fudgie the Whale" and "Cookie-Puss." Last year they brought back remakes of some of the corny advertisements, but they just weren't the same without Tom Carvel's voice.
muzzlehatch
Hamburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/18 22:13:55
yeah there are open Carvel stands in VT as well I've yet to try any but will think more about it after reading this thread!
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/19 08:21:27
At Carvel I love the black crunchies that come between the layers of ice cream in the frozen cakes.
RockyB
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/19 15:55:25
I live in Binghamton, New York and there's still 1 Carvel shop operating on Riverside drive here. It's been here in the same place since I was a kid and I'm 48 now, so It's been here awhile, but I don't know of any others that are nearby.
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/19 18:39:57
"Lik's" in Denver, formerly known as Lickety Split. Everything is made on the premises and I've never had better. I always order one scoop of ginger and one of cinnamon.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/19 18:56:03
In East Tennessee, we have Mayfields Dairy located in Athens, Tennessee. They are getting larger, but are continually improving their quality.

Their ice cream is super and their variety is outstanding. The Mayor recently visited their museum and plant tour and I believe he will attest to their value.

While traveling down I-75 and you make a stop at Athens at mile marker 49 in Tennessee, take a small trek over and visit their plant and buy some great ice cream.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/19 19:20:04
Sundance said it all...We loved the stop at Mayfield's and now that the warmer weather is upon us, it would be even better.
farmette
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/23 14:59:17
How about The Sundae School and The Ice Cream Smuggler, each in Dennis, Mass on the Cape. And Brown's in York, Maine. And if you venture to the other side of the ocean, La Berthillon is the reason to go to Paris! The richest, darkest chocolate I have ever had.
Jim Badaracco
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/23 16:15:22
Some good ones already noted, but my personal favorite, which keeps me driving through St. Louis (from New Jersey to Colorado) each summer is Ted Drewes. The waiting lines can be long, especially on hot nights, but the ice cream is out of this world (especially with their pralines)! Anybody else tried that?
farmette
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/24 13:36:14
What about the difference between ice cream and frozen custard? As a New Englander living in the Midwest, I am completely devoted to real ice cream and find frozen custard too close to soft-serve. I find people around where I live see frozen custard and ice cream as the same. As far as frozen custard goes Ted Drewes in St. Louis is great, but can't hold a candle to the real, family-owned, homemade ice cream spots throughout New England. Thoughts?
ocdreamr
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/24 13:48:44
farmette,

To answer your question see the topic on ice cream & custards further down this forum
Lone Star
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/24 14:38:26
Blue Bell ice cream made in Brenham Texas. The Moollineum crunch is my favorite.

"We eat all we can, and we sell all the rest"
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/24 15:09:52
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Blue Bell ice cream made in Brenham Texas. The Moollineum crunch is my favorite.

"We eat all we can, and we sell all the rest"

I'd have to agree--it's 'da bomb! I tasted all the brands we can get here in rural Arkansas, and it's far and away the best. In fact, I just had a Blue Bell mini ice cream sandwich before typing this...
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/26 18:14:51
I live in Texas and I never found anything in Blue Bell that stands out. It is all right, but it does not stand out. If I had a choice for regular supermarket ice cream, I would take Bryers. All the premiums are better though, the ones with weird foreign names. I bought a Hagen Daz and it is so rich, that the ice cream coats the plate.

Carvel is still all around the Northeast and Florida. Carvel used to claim that it has the highest butterfat content of any ice cream in North America. And they said butterfat is what makes the ice cream taste good.

If there is a Carvel near you, by all means have a cone or a cup of their ice cream. They have a website with all of their locations.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/28 16:27:16
In my mind, Mayfield's of Athens Tennessee is the best. If you are ever in the area, visit their museum and sample their goods.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/06/28 18:13:28
While I am not ready to proclaim Mayfield's (see Paul's post above) as the best anywhere...It is a Big Cut Above all store brands and most dairy-stands !! We really enjoyed our introduction to it.
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/02 16:38:06
Ted Drewes in St. Louis is an awesome custard stand with incredibly cheap prices. Leon's in Milwaukee is another great retro custard experience, and Margie's in Chicago is a circa 1921 ice cream parlor/candy shop.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/02 23:42:57
Homemade Hand Cranked Ice Cream! Grandmothers favorite was with bananas mixed in before it was frozen.
Badwaiter
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/03 10:30:34
After moving from Florida (Carvel Colony) to Chicago (Oberweiss Country) I declare the contest a tie. Carvel gets the edge in soft serve, Oberweiss for regular ice cream. For you Carvel lovers out there, are you making a distinction between the soft serve and regular ice cream? For me, the soft serve is what Carvel excels at. A Carvel ice cream cake is most certainly on the "last meal" menu.
Hode
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/03 11:26:30
Painter's Ice cream in North Myrtle Beach S.C. / wonderful Watermelon ice cream. The Great Escape in Watkin's Glen N.Y. for blackberry custard. Emack and Bolio's in Orleans Mass. and Abbott's in Rochester N.Y. for a Rootbeer milkshake.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/03 13:30:26
Oberweiss is good because it's heavy on the "cream" part! I drive by their plant every day, their tanks in front are painted like cows!
inspectorgadget
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/03 13:56:34
Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla always hits the spot at our house, but in the summer months I can feel a craving for their Homemade Vanilla with Peaches.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/03 14:25:57
You can't beat the ice cream adventures at Braum's in Oklahoma and Texas. Their sundies are over the top--especially the peanut butter-chocolate and caramel-pecan-chocolate excesses.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/07 09:55:03
You can also find great custard at Ritter's in and around Indianapolis.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/07 11:27:39
Ate good ice cream at a Braums in some small town in Oklahoma last year - trouble was it was too damn close to a stockyard for this Yankee.
RockyB
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/07 16:12:41
I agree with the Hillbilly. Ritter's is EXCELLENT!
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/07 16:37:34
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Ate good ice cream at a Braums in some small town in Oklahoma last year - trouble was it was too damn close to a stockyard for this Yankee.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/07 16:44:11
I can't get the hang of replying to a post.
BUT, in response to Seafarer John regarding Braum's being too close to the stockyards, Braum's is close to EVERYTHING in Oklahoma City. There is one ever 4 or 5 blocks all around town.

I hope you had a steak at Cattlemen's while you were at the stockyards. There is none better anywhere (unless it's the chateaubriand at Johnny's at the stockyards in Omaha).
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/07 19:45:35
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Braums are all over Kansas as well....To tie this to the 'long-gone regional chains' thread, Braums is actually a descendent of a great kansas/oklahoma ice cream chain called Peter Pan Ice Cream..One reason for Braums great taste is that THEY ACTUALLY OWN THEIR OWN DAIRY HERD! check out www.braums.com/OurHistory.asp
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/28 12:25:58
Just got back from vacation on Cape Cod, and while I'm not a huge ice cream fan (at least, not a huge fan relative to how I feel about other sweets and desserts), I LOVE Four Seas ice cream in Centerville. While all of the other ice cream places appear to get modest lines, Four Seas gets a long, long line every night. It's worth the wait.
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/28 14:28:50
Lappert's in Hawaii has the richest, most sinful ice cream. Great island flavors with Kona Coffee, Coconut, Macadamia Nuts, etc. used liberally in many of the the flavors.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/28 15:12:14
Having recently moved to oklahoma i too have discovered Braums-how could you miss it--tyey are all over the place. And Blue Bunny as well--great ice cream.Wondering if any of you Texans have ever been to aplace in Austin that i have idea if it is still in business but many years ago i wondered into aplace that amazed me it was called "Nothing Strikes Back" and the sign on the streeet gave you no idea at all what the shop sold or did. It was on the second floor and you entered by way of a long staircase up the side of a shop to a landing, where on the wall before the door was printed---"please allow 60 seconds for visual decompression"--i of course thought "thats weird" and entered the door,where i found myself pitched into complete darkness--gradually i could focus on what appeared to be a white cloud that eventually got more in focus and turned out to be a menu for an ice cream parlor. The menu had an item that said--and i quote-"Biggest and Best Malt you ever had in your Life"--i said "Prove it!"---they did. Went back thre more times in the week i was there and loved everything that they sold. Never been back but ive never forgotten it either--hope it still around but then--you know how it is>
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/28 15:15:45
Just realized that i forgot to mention that Nothing Strikes Back was lit entirely with black lights and after a few mins it was just fine and you see just fine---well enough to actually appreciate the art they had hung on the walls----and the bannana split was awesom!
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/28 15:22:34
I am in Austin. Where is the Nothing Strikes Back ice cream parlor. I have never heard of it. Places like that usually advertise the The Chronicle. I have never seen any ad with that name.
essvee
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/28 15:42:59
Herrell's in Northampton and Boston MA is the best I've had. Chocolate pudding and malted vanilla in the same cup is a bit of ice cream heaven. Yes indeedy do.

Steve Herrell used to run Steve's, the original mix-in place. Sold out and started Herrell's. Thank you Steve.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/29 16:39:28
quote:
Originally posted by peppertree

I am in Austin. Where is the Nothing Strikes Back ice cream parlor. I have never heard of it. Places like that usually advertise the The Chronicle. I have never seen any ad with that name.

Cant remember where it was--as i was only in Austin for that one week and it was long ago----sadly, i fear that your not hearing of it probably means that it has closed.Sorry to hear it if that is truly the case--it really was fun and had great ice cream.I do klnow that it was right in a main business nieghborhood and there seemed to be alot of student and musician types around the aresa--of course that was true of most places i visited in those day!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/29 16:46:27
Anyone out there in Northern Calif--theres a GREAT place for ice cream in Chico---(not ChiNo--thats your DONT want go there!!!thats the prison!!)--any way --check out Huberts Candies and Ice Cream---family owned and operated for 50 or 60 years--handmade chocolates and wonderfully creamy ice cream---try a double dip--Chico Mint and Chocolate-Amaretto.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/07/29 19:30:01
When you are driving down I-75 through Tennessee, get off at exit 48, Athens TN, and go east for about 3 miles and follow the signs to Mayfields plant tours of their Ice Cream factory. You will agree that their product is the best with their high fat content and their ability to survive for many years with a great product.

Their county is the best dairy product in Tennessee

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
elcoraidercheer
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/08/03 21:54:15
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

Lappert's in Hawaii has the richest, most sinful ice cream. Great island flavors with Kona Coffee, Coconut, Macadamia Nuts, etc. used liberally in many of the the flavors.

Although I wouldn't call it my favorite, I agree that Lappert's has good ice cream. I just got back from Maui and loved their pineapple sorbet. It has a great flavor and texture. However their shave ice is awful. It's not even shave ice. They make snow cones They crush the ice instead of shaving it. It's kind of disappointing. However I would recommend their ice cream
Hotrodder
Hamburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/08/03 22:21:22
My favorite ice cream is Bonnie Doon's peppermint flake. Bonnie Doon was a small local chain of restaurants / drive-ins that have shrunk to one store (I think it's still open) but they now pretty much just sell icecream in the local supermarkets.

Man, I miss their tenderloin sandwitches!
Katrina
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/08/03 23:37:46
Yes, being from East Tennessee, I agree Mayfield is good. BUT, Lone Star has it right . . . had a friend who lived in Texas for many years and when I visited I always had to have Blue Bell Ice Cream -- it is the best I've ever tasted! Then she moved to Chattanooga, and lo and behold, they actually had Blue Bell there and I could still get my Nutty Coconut fix. But alas, Chattanooga seems to be as close as it gets . . . and it's a 3 hour drive for me. Now she's back home in East TN and I'm glad my friend's closer, but -- so sad . . . no more Blue Bell for me.
harriet1954
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/08/09 18:36:40
This place used to be SO GOOD...http://www.goodnoe.com/ It's north of Philadelphia in Bucks County. Has anyone gone lately? I haven't been there in years. I remember they used to broadcast a radio show from there.
bigcat39
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/08/13 12:40:30
Oh my.... nobody is going to mention Dr. Mike's in Bethel, CT?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/08/13 22:51:08
Driving back from Walburg, TX tonight (where I had a TREMENDOUS hamburger steak with all the fixin's at Dale's Essenhaus), I stopped at the country store in Weir and found a NEW flavor of Blue Bell; Chocolate Cherry Pecan.

I'm getting ready to eat my discovery; be still my beating heart...
LizzieR
Hamburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/03 21:50:39
How about Four Seas Ice Cream in Centerville, Cape Cod? We stayed at a motel across the street last year and had a different flavor every night for a week. Really good.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/04 10:58:11
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Wondering if any of you Texans have ever been to aplace in Austin that i have idea if it is still in business but many years ago i wondered into aplace that amazed me it was called "Nothing Strikes Back"...

tiki, I just stumbled upon your question; sorry I missed it before. Man, that takes me WAY back.

Nothing Strikes Back was on "The Drag" (Guadalupe St.) across from the UT campus. It was exactly like you remember. One of the many "unique" things about the place I remember (unless I'm getting it mixed up) was that the sign on the door said they were open every day of the year, except for John Lennon's birthday.

I went there a couple of times visiting Austin in the late '70's, and I believe it was already closed when I moved here in 1980. I could be wrong about that, but regardless, it's been gone a LONG time.

Good memories...
saps
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/04 12:35:46
Can't speak for the other states, but the best ice cream that I have had in the Chicago area, and in my opinion blows away Oberweis and Rainbow Cone, is Margie's Candies. Still a cramped soda fountain that I believe was opened in 1918, the ice cream has a very high butterfat content. The toppings are homemade, and their turtle sunday with bittersweet chocolate sauce and caramel topping is the best that I've had. The ice cream does not have that oversweetened flavor, and they serve it in those old porcelain clam shell-like bowls. The portions of ice cream are ridiculous, and they are open late at night.

John
ksgirlinchi
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/04 13:30:04
The original Oberweis Dairy was located in Aurora IL on Lake Street. It was basically a small dairy with a fountain/dairy store in the front. I remember being a little kid and watching them bottle milk through the large plate glass window in the store. They had a few different flavors of Ice cream every month, including egg nog and peppermint at Christmas. Egg Nog is still one of my favorites, but none of the new stores can even hold a candle to the old original on Lake street.
finediner
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/04 13:47:13
I haven't been to Goodnoe's in years but it was always great. I just had some very good ice cream at the Cornell Dairy Bar in Ithaca, I am never disappointed by Dr. Mike's. Nostalgia plays a role in this too. As I kid I loved Frozen Custard, always chocolate. They served it in the basement of Gimbels in Philly and it was wonderful. I used to buy it on the boardwalk and it may well have been Kohl's. Graeter's in Cincinnati used to make an awesome Mocha Chip. Is it still as good? Haven't had it since the early 70s. When I was a kid, my favorite place was Greenwood Dairy in Bucks County PA. They had something called a Pig Dinner, which I never got, but it was huge and anyone who could finish it was offered another one free. No one could finish it. They had bumper stickers and tshirts that said "I had a Pig Dinner at Greenwood Dairy." The ice cream was very good. The worst ice cream that I ever had was a Baskin Robbins flavor in the early 70s called Mocha Espresso. It contained as its active ingredient, coffee grounds. It was disgusting.
kenay48
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/04 14:27:07
I would agree with Sundancer that Mayfield makes a fairly good ice cream and their factory tour is informative. However, since Blue Bell has come into the Atlanta, GA market, I find their ice cream is much better; that is comparing Homemade Vanilla. Each company has some interesting products. When Mayfield came out with Moosetracks, it was good. But, when I go to a store and am standing in front of the ice cream display I still would rather buy a 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell. Those folks in Brenham, Texas just know how to make plain old good ice cream. I'm afraid Mayfield has had to respond to too much corporate pressure to try to maintain market share. Seems like whenever I am in a grocery store Mayfield seems to have lost space.
SharonTriv
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/08 13:22:57
Gotta throw my two cents worth in--Bruster's are all over Atlanta (and probably all over other places, too), and their stuff is great. One of my favorites is Sheridan's Frozen Custard in Overland Park, KS (suburb of KC) -- it may be the best I've ever had--they call it "concrete" and it is awesome. Try the chocolate with peanut butter cups--unbelievable.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/08 14:10:31
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Wondering if any of you Texans have ever been to aplace in Austin that i have idea if it is still in business but many years ago i wondered into aplace that amazed me it was called "Nothing Strikes Back"...

tiki, I just stumbled upon your question; sorry I missed it before. Man, that takes me WAY back.

I remember (unless I'm getting it mixed up) was that the sign on the door said they were open every day of the year, except for John Lennon's birthday.

I went there a couple of times visiting Austin in the late '70's, and I believe it was already closed when I moved here in 1980. I could be wrong about that, but regardless, it's been gone a LONG time.

Good memories...

John Lennons bday huh---that sounds about rightSorry to hear its gone but your right---Good memories!
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial