Dallas Steakhouses

Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3732
2005/09/11 01:28:30 (permalink)

Dallas Steakhouses

I know Dallas has a number of restaurants -- I have heard that statistic that they have more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the country -- and there are surely enough that it is believable.

In particular, I am looking for information on a place called "GF Prime." It came up in a citysearch listing -- and I have found citysearch to be a little hit and miss.

I know where to go in Dallas to empty my wallet on a slab of beef -- Three Forks or Bob's; and I am familiar with the small chains like Capital Grille, Ruth's Chris, etc.; and I am familiar with the regional chains that we don't have here in Florida, like Saltgrass and TX Land and Cattle Co.

GF Prime, though, I am not familiar with. I have no opposition to laying down some good coin for a good steak -- Luger's is one of my benchmarks, though, so if it is that expensive, it better be that good. I have also done Ringside in Portland, Smith and Wollensky in NYC, and City Hall (not sure that's the name) in Scottsdale. Is this of that ilk, or is it more like a glorified Outback?

I am also open to other suggestions in Dallas. I have read the other threads, so if you have some new additions or something that might not have been mentioned before, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Steve

18 Replies Related Threads

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1029
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/11 15:52:58 (permalink)
    I'm no expert, but a meal I had recently at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse was one of the best ever.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/12 01:22:16 (permalink)
    I haven't been there, but my brother who lives in Dallas swears Pappas Bros. is the best. It's off of W. Northwest Highway, just west of Stemmons Freeway (35 W).
    TxConnie
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/12 19:42:25 (permalink)
    Here is a review from the DMN. I had never heard of this restaurant before.
    [http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97400&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&item_id=11588]
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/16 18:19:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TxConnie

Here is a review from the DMN. I had never heard of this restaurant before.
    [http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97400&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&item_id=11588]

Thanks, TxConnie. I think of food reviews the same way I think of citysearch -- can be hit or miss, unless you know the reviewer. My gut tells me to trust the folks that frequent this site more than the average restaurant reviewer. I had hoped someone here had been there before. My gut tells me if that answer is no, I could do worse than to skip it and try something else.

As a matter of fact, I think that my steak dinner of choice for tonight in the Metroplex tonight is going to be a place called Love and War in Texas. It has been recommended a couple of times from some of the locals here. I will try to offer an opinion upon completion of my meal.

In the meantime, if you are interested... http://www.loveandwarintexas.com

Steve
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/18 12:33:18 (permalink)
    The original Del Frisco's Double Eagle is in Dallas, I believe. It's been a good number of years since I was there , but it was located in a north Dallas suburban area. It is similar to the national chains, some of which were mentioned: Morton's, Ruth's Chris and Capitol Grille as examples.

I haven't been to Bob's in Dallas (the original) but I've had the bone-in ribeye at the San Francisco location three times now. It would be hard to top those steaks for overall tenderness, juiciness and flavor.
    TxConnie
    Hamburger
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/20 14:10:46 (permalink)
    Love and War in Texas (I have been to the one in Grapevine) is a lot of fun. I hear the steaks are decent.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/21 07:30:50 (permalink)
    Is the Trail Dust or Trail Duster still around. They had a wood slide from the 2nd floor to the dance floor on the floor below. I also think there was more than one location. Also, you didn't walk in wearing a tie. It was cut off and nailed to the wall with your business card. I remember the place from about 10 - 20 years ago near Dallas.
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/21 23:26:16 (permalink)
    It's been "many moons" since I've been to the Traildust. It was off of the LBJ feeeway, I believe. There were/are two locations in the Denver area also.

The had four sizes of steaks: cowgirl, cowboy, the stud and the bullshipper. The bullshipper was a 50 oz monster while the stud checked in at a more "modest" 36 ounces.

The walls were covered with ties which guys would wear for the purpose of having it cut-off.

The Traildust places were fun for an evening out..
    TxConnie
    Hamburger
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/24 14:45:52 (permalink)
    Love and War in Texas is located in the former Traildust in Grapvine. I am not sure about the other 2 locations (Mesquite and I-35)
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/24 16:05:27 (permalink)
    Second location of the Trail Dust is in the small town of Lincoln Park, just east of Denton on US 380. I'm wanting to think that location is the original.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/09/24 20:02:11 (permalink)
    The family decided to have a late lunch at Love and War at their Plano location. I had the 14 oz sirloin ($18.95) and while I have to commend them on the quality of meat, I didn't care for the way it was seasoned. They advertised a smoky marinate and crushed black pepper. They should have kept the pepper and not bothered with the marinate. There was a sour flavor to it. The smoked corn on the cob was quite good, though. Baked potato was unremarkable.

Son had the onion rings and they were okay, but they got a lot better when you dipped them in the creamy cayenne pepper sauce. The wife had the chicken tenders and she said they were probably a frozen product. She also had a spicy cottage type of fried potato and they were quite good.
    TxConnie
    Hamburger
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/10/01 11:50:54 (permalink)
    Ooh-- I forgot about the TrailDust in Lincoln Park. I believe that is the original. Neat place.
    NYC2SoCal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/11/16 16:51:26 (permalink)
    I second Del Friscos for the Dallas area.. My benchmark is also Peter Lugers, but honestly, in my opinion, it's a hard benchmark to break. Most top tier steakhouses fall very close to one another on price (30-40/steak). In essense, I use Peter Lugers to benchmark bang for he buck. If I'm gonna spend $170 for 2 at Peter Lugers, I would gauge that against other restaurants.. Almost as good as Lugers for $120/2.. That's a steal... I went to another restaurant in NYC, and the bill came out to 240 for 2 (wasnt a steakhouse).. man, the bang for the buck sucked big time on that one..

In the Dallas area, disregarding price and bang for the buck, I'd go with DelFriscos. Others that I have tried include Papa Bros, Trail Dust, Saltgrass, Texas Land & Cattle. Oh, another thing, the DelFriscos in Dallas is WAY better than the one in NYC.
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2005/11/16 17:12:25 (permalink)
    Jimmie's in Deep Ellum...
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2013/09/15 01:50:13 (permalink)
    I realize that I started this thread seven years ago, but I just got back from my second visit to Chamberlain's Steak and Chop House and would recommend it now as my go-to place for a high-end steak experience in Dallas.

Obviously, prime steakhouses are not cheap, and this is no exception, but they are not at all out of line in their pricing. Dinner for two - one bone-in ribeye; one special, which was a prime, aged ribeye paired with two enormous (U-10) bacon-wrapped scallops; side of Asian-style green beans; two soups - one shrimp and lobster bisque, one corn chowder with added crab meat; one Woodford Reserve; one iced tea was just under $150 plus tip. Both steaks came with mashed potatoes, which you could swap for another side for a small upcharge. All meals come with Chamberlains' flaky popovers and some sourdough bread, as well. The popovers are so light and go down so easy that we needed to have a few more delivered to the table prior to the meal.

We both ordered medium-rare, and if I were being nitpicky, I could say that the steaks came out a touch over-done, but not such that they were bad - and, they were still exceptionally juicy. My bacon-wrapped scallops were divine - they could have sent out the scallops broiled sans bacon and I would have been just as happy, as the taste of the scallops were the direct compliment to the powerful steak.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2013/09/15 06:25:46 (permalink)
    What a fabulous sounding meal! Completely jealous!
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2013/09/15 07:55:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for this post! Every year I send my sister and niece, who live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area a gift card for Christmas. I just checked out their web site. I'll be able to order them a gift card for Chamberlain's this year.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: Dallas Steakhouses 2013/09/15 15:53:21 (permalink)
    Heck the woodford reserve was most of that $150. 

It does sound like a heck of a meal and for a decent price too. Those popovers sound yummy too.  I totally agree with you on the addition of scallops and steak.

How did love in war in TX stand up in your opinion?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1