securing a location

Cheeseburger
2005/09/15 10:44:45
i am planning on having a 6X10 'stand-in' hot dog trailer.
any advice on approaching the owners of a business in order to use their parking lot or sidwalk .

if they want money, is a flat fee or percentage of sales a way to go.
any information, ideas or links would be appreciated.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 13:41:15

djtomatoe-
I would visit prospective locations and just "talk up" my project. IMHO, its a great spot when they get excited about the idea and don't even ask about money from you. The idea they may recognize is the business you will bring to them, not the other way around. If there are three places to get gas and such and only one had food....which one would you visit? On the other hand if they buy gas across the road and buy food from you, what have you lost?

Wht kind of local you been scouting?

Copper
djtomatoe
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 14:11:52
copper.
thanks for your response.
you make some very good points. and focusing on the added income/customers that would be attracted by the food is an excellent point.
at this time i am just beginning the process, so i have not done any scouting of locations.

Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 14:19:52

You have opportunities to scout and just don't know it,
Every where you normally go and do Biz, strike up a conversation about your endeavor....the location will be talking to you. If it doesn't, simply buy your gas, groceries or whatever somewhere else and keep making conversation. When you hit the right place you will know it! They are talking to you about YOU setting up there, your product (food) will sell itself, its the beauty of it!

Good Luck!

Copper
djtomatoe
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 14:21:45
again,,,,thaks.....good point
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 17:36:27
I mentioned on another thread a couple of enterprising ladies who set up 2 carts at the bottum of an exit ramp leading to a large construction site (bathing suit tops and daisey dukes didn't hurt) there was always a line as they were also the closest for any cold beverage(non alcoholic) and also stocked aspirin/goody's powders/bandaids. Like Copper says the best location is the one that realizes the opportunity you provide THEM
djtomatoe
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 18:04:07
they had a good idea......but i don't think i would look too good in shorts and a bathing suit top, since i am a guy...LOL
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 19:15:59
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-
hahhahhhah Who would have thunk it?

Plus, i am 46 and not studying a life in a bikini.
Nor do I trust those who would be willing to. Their tips and such would be "larger" than mine.

heh heh.

Just don't cook bacon naked no matter your gender. It hurts!

Wishin she could wear Daisy's,
Copper
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: securing a location 2005/09/15 23:07:00
If I was to wear Daisy's outfit (Even a part of it), this economy would hit it's all time low from shock..

But once ya find an ideal location, mention to the owner you only need to park you cart part time, it goes home with ya, you're only using 60 sq. ft of space, inform him there will be no floating wrappers (you'll clean up afterwards and have trash recepticle(s), and maybe offer to feed him and discount his employees. This is just off the top of my head, since I've yet to deal with this situation. Then you can always maybe offer to put up a rack for the guys sales flyers to help advertise him in return for the rent (or put an ad in every bag that ya fill with food that goes to your customers).. Either way, good luck there!

I should also mention, if you do a search in the Hot Dog Forums, you may find alot more info on this. From a few vendors I've talked to, few of them pay 10% or so of their sales.. Others that set up in locations like Home Depot or Lowes pay around (+/-) 4 figures a month for rent.

V960
RE: securing a location 2005/09/18 10:38:18
One of the most successful hot dog stands in Charlotte operates in the parrking lot of the local pro hardware store. They're only open 6-6 five days a week making them generally only a pro shop (Little Hardware, Charlotte, NC) but the hot dog and brat guy makes a mint load each day...good hours also.
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/10/18 07:40:31
I can tell you that the Daisy Duke stuff only works for a short time. Here in Florida it gave the Hot Dog cart people a real bad image and gave the towns the chance to shut them all down state wide. The last few years have let up a bit but on the West Cost of Florida only St. Pete allows them and county land, but none of the towns except for events and you must pay the chamber to set up.

I have been going down this road for 8 months. It seems to happen everywhere though.
You have to stay with it though..
City Shuts Down Hot Dog Vendor... Again http://kdka.com/investigators/local_story_279142903.html

Here is an artical from 2004 - http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/266726p-228371c.html
http://www.explodingcigar.com/article1632.html
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/10/19 14:33:04
quote:
Originally posted by jojobeans

I can tell you that the Daisy Duke stuff only works for a short time.

Gotta have the food to back up the T&A. Excellent post.

Cornball Copper
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2005/10/31 23:50:57
I think I will start a thread "The ups and downs of the cart vender" What’s your story?
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: securing a location 2006/01/23 20:58:01
This is a very good Topic! Thank You, everyone who made a post!

Uncle Vic, Thank You for mentioning this Topic in another Post!!!

I hope these informative posts on this topic keeps coming!!
V960
RE: securing a location 2006/01/24 13:41:38
A past history story but we used to run six to eight carts. Best were at hardwares w/ personable people running the carts. We had one Daisy Dukes chick who was a pain. Only "looker" we had and it failed. Probably just this person, no it was just this person, but we went w/ good personable folks after that.

Had one "crazy" who was a great producer. He would chase people down in the parking lot and give them a dog to try. Customers for life after that. Great guy and good friend until a crack head popped him one afternoon for a few hundred. I sold the operation the next week.

Gee, was that a downer to this business? We only worked fairs after that.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: securing a location 2006/01/24 19:21:26
Here's an article I read a few minutes ago... Mentions a little about location, but also the hardships of being a stand operator.. http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=44438