The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher

Junior Burger
2005/09/24 06:20:49
In 2000 my wife Martha and had a vacation in scotland. Amongst all the lovely scenery and fine weather was some traditional scottish food. Some of the worst I have ever tasted!

Martha and I planned to walk to lin of dee, a local beauty spot around 10 miles from braemar, and decided we'd could use a hamper when we got there.

We went to the local butcher in braemar,(R&D Gray) to get some of his pies and pasties which, we had been told by our hotel manager, were the best in scotland. So we bought more than we needed thinking we could eat them in our hotel room at night.

We walked all the way to lin of dee, quite a long trek made worse by midges, dust and redneck drivers. All the while we were enjoying the scenery and looking forward to the pies in our backpacks.

When we got there we took our packs off put our toes in the lovely clear water, and we were ready to eat. We had a variety of pies. Sadly as we tasted each one we noticed that they were full of fat, gristle and strange looking grey meat. It was clear to us the pies had been made with the cheapest cuts of meat and maybe other bits from inside the animal. We couldn't tell which meat though, and they smelled like a none too friendly racoon had made his mark on them! All were inedible, they made both Martha and I feel very unwell.

Martha was very upset. She was crying and I was none too happy myself. We were starving and had to walk all the way back to our hotel. I had a heck of a long time to think on that winding dusty trek back to the hotel. I decided I would go and see the butcher and ask him what was in the pies.

Next day I went to see him. I asked what was in the pies, he said the best pork and beef in the pies we had. I asked him if he was sure. He said as sure as he was standing there. I told him we had been looking forward to eating them after our walk and that we got a real disappiontment. I told him they were all fatty and had strange pieces of grey meat in them. He just laughed and told me that all americans were too fussy. I asked him why they smelled so bad. He smiled at me said my nose was too close to my own a**! He said that if I didn't get my moaning lardy a** out of his store, he'd call the cops!

His ugly skinny wife came through from the back of the store and started to shout at me but I couldn't understand what she was hollerin about. All the while the butcher is getting redder in the face and is spitting as he cusses and waves his hands at me. I couldn't help thinking while looking at him getting all worked up, that he was beginning to look like a hog ready for the block. All deep pink and real anrgy, spitting with rage. I had to put my hand over my mouth to stop him from seeing that I was starting to laugh. They both looked real funny by this time. His wifes shouts were as squeaky as the bagpipe.

Anyway I left the store before they both got too angry and went back to my beloved Martha to tell her what had happened.
She was even more upset, and she cried for a while. She wanted to leave braemar that day but I foolishly talked her into staying.

That night before dinner we went to the cocktail lounge in our hotel and guess who was in there........Yup the butcher. Mr Rony Ronny or Ronnie Gray (I don't know which spelling it is). Anyway he was half sitting half slumped across the bar with a glass in his hand. He was cussin loud, saying americans don't know the taste of good food when they have it. The bartender was serving cocktails around him like he couldn't see or hear him.

I complained to the manager about Mr Rony Ronny or Ronnie Gray and told him back home in Oklahoma, bums like him would be thrown out in the street. I was told that he's just one of the natives and he and others like him are what gives the hotel it's character. We were told to not pay any attention to him as he would soon fall asleep and his wife would come along and fetch him back home soon.

Martha was even more upset and demanded we leave. So we left that night, without staying for dinner. We didn't even stay long enough to see his ugly squeaky wife come to pull his large drunk butt of the chair. Instead we went over to Edinborogh and got a very comfortable hotel with the most luxurious food and no bums to be seen anywheres.

If your thinking of a vacation in scotland, avoid braemar, it's such a small place you are bound to meet up with the butcher bum and have him spoil your vacation.

A foot note to this story. Martha and I went all around Canada the year after that and had the most wonderful time and were warmly welcomed everywhere we went. And NO bad food at ALL!

Fred.
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 09:49:49
My observations of traveling to different countries is that they will be quite different than in one's own country. That is the excitement and adventure of traveling,

Our two dearest friends (a young couple) have just returned from a two week trip to Scotland. Although, they had some food that they did not care for and said that service in restaurants was not anywhere as good as in American restaurants, they loved every moment of their stay there. They felt that the people were just as friendly and nice as could be.

Sarah, who is extremely beautiful, had a few minor problems with some of the men in pubs but once she told them that she was married, they settled right down and were most gracious to her and her husband,

I would have wished that a couple of meat pies (just one meal out of your lifetime of meals) would not have upset you so much. We had one of the worse meals in our life on a coastal steamer on the Labrador coast (It was baked seal that the crew had shot the night before.) They were proud to serve it to us and they all relished it so we smiled and politely ate it (as much as we could get down) and to this day, thinking about that meal always makes me laugh and realize how much fun that experience was and how great travel can be.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 10:28:50
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

My observations of traveling to different countries is that they will be quite different than in one's own country. That is the excitement and adventure of traveling,

Our two dearest friends (a young couple) have just returned from a two week trip to Scotland. Although, they had some food that they did not care for and said that service in restaurants was not anywhere as good as in American restaurants, they loved every moment of their stay there. They felt that the people were just as friendly and nice as could be.

Sarah, who is extremely beautiful, had a few minor problems with some of the men in pubs but once she told them that she was married, they settled right down and were most gracious to her and her husband,

I would have wished that a couple of meat pies (just one meal out of your lifetime of meals) would not have upset you so much. We had one of the worse meals in our life on a coastal steamer on the Labrador coast (It was baked seal that the crew had shot the night before.) They were proud to serve it to us and they all relished it so we smiled and politely ate it (as much as we could get down) and to this day, thinking about that meal always makes me laugh and realize how much fun that experience was and how great travel can be.

Ah. The pleasures of two McDee's DCB's and a large order o' fries (cooked PRE-food police standards), awaits 'ye.

Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 10:52:10

Welcome to RF, Freddy.

By chance, did you try the haggis when you were in Scotland?
pacman
Cheeseburger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 11:09:34
I'm sorry to hear that the meat pies were such a disappointment. However, I am sure you didn't let that ruin your whole vacation. When you went to the other hotel is sounds like it was most pleasant. How long were you in Scotland? It would be nice to hear about other places in Scotland you visited and the food there.

Dan
WELCOME to RF
Willly
Cheeseburger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 13:58:22
If Freddy is to believed (I find the mix of bad spelling, poor grammar, and English/Scottish AND American colloquialisms highly suspect!!!), it sounds as if both sides were ready for a fight before they even spoke to each other. Now a proprietor should never treat a customer with nothing less that total respect, the same rule ought to apply to customers. Rather than always assuming someone is trying to get something over you, why not assume a mistake happened. Basically yelling at someone and telling them that they're selling cr*p is going to get you nowhere.
chezkatie
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 16:18:46
Hey Freddie,

I have a question............what in the world is a "redneck driver".
How do "redneck drivers" drive any differently than the rest of the world's licensed drivers??
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 17:03:22

TWO Brief Comments...

Somehow I missed the comment about this event taking place in 2000. Timing is important if you want to correct someone's error. To complain about it 5 years later makes no practical sense.

AND, Kay, Join me on a ride thru the Eastern Kentucky coal mining areas. No insult intended for a lot of fine folks there, but I will show you what Redneck Drivers do on a two lane winding hilly road with giant trucks, overloaded with lump coal, and no visible speed limits!! I have driven in all parts of the country,including Boston and Los Angeles that both have quite a reputation, and I have NEVER seen anything like some of those Coal Truck Drivers making their normal way around the roads there..
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 17:57:19
I also find it very strange that the poster writes of an event that occurred five years ago with such a vengence. I have a hard time remembering things that occurred yesterday much less five years ago with such accuracy.

If the event did take place, the poster has a right to be upset but the behavior was not exactly good on his or her part.

I have had many orders that did not please me but I have yet to have one that wanted me to leave a vacation or hotel. Generally I trash the order and leave.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
chezkatie
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 18:02:43
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

AND, Kay, Join me on a ride thru the Eastern Kentucky coal mining areas. No insult intended for a lot of fine folks there, but I will show you what Redneck Drivers do on a two lane winding hilly road with giant trucks, overloaded with lump coal, and no visible speed limits!! I have driven in all parts of the country,including Boston and Los Angeles that both have quite a reputation, and I have NEVER seen anything like some of those Coal Truck Drivers making their normal way around the roads there..

whoo whoo Great offer...............I would love to join you for this adventure..............hoping that Jan and the doggies will come with us!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 19:23:17
Anyone unfamiliar with redneck drivers should spend some time on rural backroads in Eastern Oregon or Western Texas. You will find out what such a driver is.
Rick F.
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 20:26:06
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

Hey Freddie,

I have a question............what in the world is a "redneck driver".
How do "redneck drivers" drive any differently than the rest of the world's licensed drivers??
And when you're finished riding with Al, let me show you some log trucks and chip trucks in Louisiana.
jeepguy
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 20:37:09
Alot of creative posters around here with alot of time on their hands... As far as the walking 10 miles with "Martha"...just another troll.
chezkatie
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 20:59:20
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

Alot of creative posters around here with alot of time on their hands...

HELLO HELLO Who are you referring to????
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/24 21:10:31
A quick google search turned up this link http://www.braemarscotland.co.uk/visiting_braemar/facilities_shops.htm
and here is listed the now most famous Scotish butcher on the web!
Butcher
Mr Ronnie Gray
Invercauld Road, BRAEMAR AB35 5YP

Tel: +44(0)13397 41206
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/25 04:31:44
I myself am glad to have the spelling of Braemer. Probably I'll never get there, but forewarned is armed although my tolerance for local food may be greater.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/25 08:37:26
Traditional Scottish Recipes
- Ham and Haddie Pie

Bacon and smoked haddock (haddies) go very well together in this tasty pie. The quantities are sufficient for four people.

Ingredients:
12 ounces (375g) smoked haddock
4 ounces (125g or half cup) chopped bacon
8 ounces (250g) tomatoes, sliced
2 ounces (60g or half a stick) grated Scottish cheddar cheese (or similar)
Small quantity butter for frying
1 small onion, chopped
2 ounces (60g or half a cup) breadcrumbs
2-3 tablespoons water
Method:
Heat the oven to 375F (190C or Gas Mark 5). Grease a medium size ovenproof dish. Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onion until it is soft. Add the chopped bacon and cook for another 2/3 minutes.
Arrange half of the tomato slices in the dish and cover with the onion and bacon mixture. Put the haddock on top of this and top with the remaining tomato slices.
Pour on the water and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cheese. Cover with a lid or kitchen foil and cook for 20 minutes at 375F (190C or Gas Mark 5).
Remove the lid or foil and cook for another ten minutes until the topping has turned brown.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_index.htm

Rick F.
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/25 08:55:10
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Can you tell me more about Scottish cheddar? English & American I understand, but haven';t heard of the Scottish version.

And is the bacon American or English style? Or is therre a Scottish style as well? The only time I was in England the bacon was more like American-style Canadian bacon.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/25 09:16:13
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Can you tell me more about Scottish cheddar? English & American I understand, but haven';t heard of the Scottish version.

And is the bacon American or English style? Or is therre a Scottish style as well? The only time I was in England the bacon was more like American-style Canadian bacon.

http://www.mclelland.co.uk/

Bacon is English style. Also, most any good cheddar works...
dreamzpainter
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/25 09:18:55
They have rednecks in Scotland??
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/25 09:34:25
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

They have rednecks in Scotland??

William Wallace started it all.

Tedbear
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2005/09/25 15:05:31
quote:
Originally posted by Willly

If Freddy is to believed (I find the mix of bad spelling, poor grammar, and English/Scottish AND American colloquialisms highly suspect!!!), it sounds as if both sides were ready for a fight before they even spoke to each other. Now a proprietor should never treat a customer with nothing less that total respect, the same rule ought to apply to customers. Rather than always assuming someone is trying to get something over you, why not assume a mistake happened. Basically yelling at someone and telling them that they're selling cr*p is going to get you nowhere.

Willy--I agree with you that the original posting sounds a bit suspect, and in fact, it sounds more like a vendetta than anything. However, I am not sure that it should be cast into doubt due to the spelling and grammar. Surely you have been on this board long enough to have seen some really egregious examples of poor spelling and incorrect language usage. Compared to some of the postings on this board, this particular one sounded almost like a Doctoral Dissertation!

Actually, I am very surprised that someone has not made some unkind remarks regarding your response. I say this because about a month ago, I made a snide remark regarding a posting by someone who claimed to be a college graduate, yet that person exhibited writing ability that would yield failing marks for someone in 6th grade. I was criticized by a couple of board members for my remark, which was, admittedly, dripping with sarcasm. However, I would not have commented except for the fact that this person was passing himself off as someone who had benefitted from higher education. I was really reacting to the rather unbelievable claim that this person was a college graduate. (As part of my evidence for this belief, the person's posting misspelled the word "college" in every instance, in addition to very poor grammar and spelling in general" />.)

I am usually willing to restrain myself from commenting about someone's writing ability, unless that person holds himself out to be something that he is not, and that is why I commented in that other case. I just do not like frauds, and actually react to that type of person much more quickly than I would to someone who is just poor at written communication. In this case, the person may have a valid point, but also may not be the best at communicating that point of view.

So, although I also have some doubt about the veracity of the "Braemar" posting, I think that poor spelling and grammar may be the least of the problems there. Of course, if that person now claims to be an Oxford Don, then I may have to revise my opinion.

-r-i-tt-a
Junior Burger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/11 18:16:10
Hello everyone

this forum´s page appeared whenever I googled  the Braemar Butcher. (Since the Braemar Butcher offers the best Haggis I tried, I wanted to check wether there is a posibility for me to order Haggis (a typical scottish dish)from him.

I did not like the posting  above and decided to register to write down my own experience .
I stayed in Braemar for 6 weeks  and it was the most enjoyable stay I could imagine.
The village is truly beautiful, the landsacape is amazing and everyone I met was more than friendly. The people there were and are very kind and warm- hearted. 
I have no idea what kind of pie or pastry the starter of this thread  might have eaten, but none of the reported seems to make sense to me.
I tried a lot of pastries from the Butcher and they all tasted very well. I even found vegetarian pastries which nobody could expect to buy at a butchers.
Everything tasted delicious.
Also I am asking myself, wether the bought pastries had suffered from warm weather- considering the long walk to the Linn of Dee.
[Additionally I think the starter of this thread should really think about the way he talks to people  and thinks about them..]

Well, to sum it up: anyone wanting to experience a beautiful and kind village set in the most awesome scenery- don´t hesitate to visit this truly beautiful spot. Besides, all the food I have tasted in Braemar was amazing.

Many greetings to everyone

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/12 09:01:20
I am told that, in the late 19th. Century, the French side of my family emigrated to Western Pennslyvania due to the fact that the coal seams were so thick one was able to mine standing upright.

The Scot side came over to farm in the mid 18th. Century.  (True story: George Washington was their landlord).  I suspect that the food in Scotland drove them out. 
Jennifer_4
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/12 09:21:20
I imagine the original poster and his wife were the type of people who would have been happier in a Best Western Motel, and eating at a Taco Bell...      My ex inlaws used to drive me crazy, as they traveled the world extensively but made it a point NEVER to try the local cuisine...
brisketboy
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/12 11:06:40
My profession requires that I travel to Glasgow and the surrounding countryside as well as the southwest of England, namely Cornwall. I have eaten local food across both places and yes some of it I would not eat again. But it never occured to me ever to go on such a rant and be as insulting as this individual is. My worst experience was pleasant and that was Robbie Burns (Ode to the Haggis recital) night at the senior rates mess at the submarine base in Faslane. These people are not even Best Western, I would say Motel 6.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/12 11:30:05
I think there is only one way to solve this......ROAD TRIP!  

Benzee, can you handle an international Eat n' Greet?
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/12 15:46:41
I was an import food buyer for about 5 years.I was always excited about foods from across the pond that no one knew about.To me, its an excellent eperience.I found this site BECAUSE I was looking for haggi's, etc.....
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/13 10:55:46
I have traveled to many places over the years, Scotland was one of the friendliest. I don't think I bragged about any of the food I ate, but I would never complain about it either. If your going to try local food favorites, be prepared that it may not be one of your favorites. ..............pnwc
rumaki
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/13 13:14:49
I've been to Scotland many times. 

I think the food in Scotland, as a rule, is actually of higher quality than what is found in England.  (That's a big generalization, of course. There are exceptions on both sides of the border.)

I trace it to The Auld Alliance -- the culinary link between Scotland and France.  In my travels in Scotland, I have found excellent food almost without exception, from high-end restaurants (often in association with country hotels) to humble pubs.  The homemade soups and "home baking" -- both bread and pastry -- are especially good in those places.  They are even good on the Caledonian-MacBrayne ferry boats that transport you to the Hebrides.

And the raw ingredients in Scotland, especially game, fish, shellfish (try Skye scallops!) and berries, are simply superb.

post edited by rumaki - 2011/12/13 13:43:26
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/13 14:10:32
I've visited (mostly western) Scotland many times because a good friend owned an estate in Argyle. I've found the Scots to be some of the nicest and most warm hearted people I've ever met. But, other than fish, I found their food to be lacking in flavor and imagination. I think they've basically been eating the same way as they had for the last 200 years.
But all my previous visits were 10 years ago and since then, I've heard good things about the food in Scotland now due to a newer generation of young chefs who are more responsive to what's happening in the food world today.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/12/13 14:51:26
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/13 16:07:04
The worst vacation I ever had   was wonderful
pancakes80
Junior Burger
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/16 05:37:56
This is good to know.  Or maybe it's a bad thing. Perhaps a bit both

Because as bad Scottish butchers go....

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

starbuck1951
Junior Burger
Re:The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/20 02:53:36
I am sorry for your bad experience but I have to tell you that your story is fun to read. Your character description of the butcher and his obnoxious wife are priceless.
brisketboy
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/20 08:59:28
During one of my many visits to Scotland I chanced to stay at this lovely old hotel in Helensbourugh called the Ardencaple. The pub in the hotel served some of the most delicious meals I have experienced in bothe England and Scotland. Much of it came out of the Firth of Clyde. The seafood was extraordinary. That was some time ago and I often fondly wonder if anything has changed.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: The worst food in scotland is in a braemar butcher 2011/12/20 13:13:01
The seafood in Scotland, and all the British Isles can only be described as being extraordinary. And, I've always found the best food (with exceptions) in the pubs away from London and the major cities.