Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 134
Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13397
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Mon, 04/24/06 4:52 PM
Our NHRA team races in Minnesota each August in Brainerd, MN.

We always have a walleye dinner at the Black Bear which is just south of the race track. Walleye is brown crispy and tasty and white.

In my opinion, Brainerd is what Minnesota is all about. Beautiful lakes everywhere and walleye is king.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6224
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/29/06 8:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Our NHRA team races in Minnesota each August in Brainerd, MN.

We always have a walleye dinner at the Black Bear which is just south of the race track. Walleye is brown crispy and tasty and white.

In my opinion, Brainerd is what Minnesota is all about. Beautiful lakes everywhere and walleye is king.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

The Brainerd lakes area now has more golf course holes than lakes. The area is over run with expensive homes with mowed grass one could not call a northwoods cabin though there is one totally private lake up there totally surrounded by over 440 acres backed up to a state forest managed by an association of nine owners, one of whom is my wife's cousin. We occassionally get up there to visit.

My idea of what Minnesota is all about is the more primitive Boundary Waters Canoe Area, the North Shore and the Gunflint Trail. From Minneapolis it is nearly a 5 hour drive but worth every minute.

Sundancer7
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 04/30/06 1:08 PM
DavyD, everyone has an opinion about whatever they wish and I respect your thoughts about Brainerd. My opinion about Brainerd is that it is pretty, nicely maintained, touristy, good food, good racing and until they remove the race track, I will continue visiting.

I agree about the Boundary waters. I have been there and it is pretty and remote. We do not race there. I have traveled through there several times on my trip from Michigan to Minneapolis via around Superior.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 04/30/06 9:08 PM
Paul,

Brainerd is fast going private with old fashion cabin resorts being edged out left and right. It is just not my idea of Minnesota and not why I moved here. On the plus side it does not have nearly as many water parks as the Wisconsin Dells.

I never went to the Brainerd race track in all the years I've lived up here in Minnesota. I always go back to Indianapolis. I was there for the first National drag race held at Indianapolis Raceway Park. One year I managed to get Jack Brabham, Rodger Ward and Don Garlits to autograph my ticket while they were all standing around together talking. Ward was my neighbor.

To keep on track with road food, I sold pizza there out of a trailer at Indianapolis Raceway Park when I was in high school. Also, back then I ate catfish instead of walleye.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4082
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 04/30/06 11:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

To keep on track with road food, I sold pizza there out of a trailer at Indianapolis Raceway Park when I was in high school. Also, back then I ate catfish instead of walleye.
Davy, surely you're not implying that one cannot enjoy catfish and walleye, as I am living proof one can do both. While I am a lover of your state's favorite fish, I also know the pleasures of a deep fried whole catfish that has curled up into a moist and tender horseshoe. Both are darn good eating! Please, let there be no further disparaging remarks about this most tasty of bottom feeders.

Buddy

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Mon, 05/1/06 9:54 PM
Buddy, I was not disparaging catfish. I still eat it but where I live the walleye rules. In fact when I lived in Indianapolis we would often drive 40 miles out into the country to a little town called Colfax just to have a fried catfish dinner. It was the best that I can remember. It was just difficult driving back after a couple of beers.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4082
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Mon, 05/1/06 11:11 PM
Well alright then. All is forgiven. Let's make up over a whole mess o' catfish and a smattering of Walleye.

Speaking of which, we're gonna be sampling Barbecue Sauce this week at a mess o' Kowalski stores; you gonna come out and see us? I'll post the full schedule on Tuesday on the "Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer 2006" tour thread.

Buddy

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 05/6/06 10:43 AM
Update. Culver's is still serving the Walleye sandwich. It did not end with Lent. I had one last night and I must say for what is considered fast food it holds its own against anyone. It was pretty darn good.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 05/14/06 6:15 PM
Walleye is all the rage right now in Minnesota with the fishing opener this weekend and the re-opening of Red Lake to walleye fishing. Here is a recipe the StarTribune printed by Bob Lessard, a state legislature and environmentalist. Here is the story...

http://www.startribune.com/531/story/427240.html

and here is the recipe...

quote:

Last update: May 11, 2006 – 5:42 PM

Lessard's walleye recipe

Ingredients
Walleye (or other fish) fillets

1 cup flour

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon lemon pepper

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup beer

1 or 2 eggs, as desired

Directions

• Combine eggs and beer, then mix in dry ingredients. Stir. Batter is too thick if it sticks to a finger without dripping slightly, too thin if it runs off altogether. Adjust in either case by adding more beer or more flour.

• Prepare fillets by cutting them in half. Important: Dry the fish on paper towels so the batter sticks to them. Dip fish in batter.

• Using oil of your choice, deep fry until golden brown (either in a deep fryer or deep skillet).

• Batter won't spoil and can be reused if refrigerated. "The next day when you look at it in the refrigerator, it won't look very good," retired state Sen. Bob Lessard said. "But just stir it, again adding more beer or flour as necessary for desired thickness."

©2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Sundancer7
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 05/14/06 6:21 PM
DavyD, I am not in Minnesota but i will be in way upper Wisconsin next week end. I will definately do the whitefish but I hope to enjoy a great walleye in that area.

When I am in Brainerd for the NHRA races, I always enjoy the Black Bear located just south of the track for some great walleye.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Bobs
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 05/14/06 6:56 PM
I will be visiting Victoria, MN. in a couple of weeks. Where can I get a good walleye sandwich? Please suggest some other favorite eateries in the area.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 05/14/06 9:46 PM
Bobs,

Victoria is on the southwest end of Lake Minnetonka. The closest place to enjoy a good walleye sandwich and enjoy what Minnesota has best to offer is Maynard's in Excelsior just a couple of mlles to your east. Maynard's a restaurant right on the shore of Lake Minnetonka's Excelsior Bay. The walleye sandwich proved to be rather good but the atmosphere of being able to sit outside on the wharf and watch the pleasure boating traffic adds to the pleasure. With that walleye sandwich I recommend a draft pour of Minnesota's Summit Pale Ale.

If you are going to get out and about there are two other places. The Mall of America seems to be a destination for out of towners because of its uniqueness. So, if you manage to go there you can't go wrong with the Twin City Grill there for a walleye sandwich. If you can make it over to St. Paul, Tavern on Grand, on Grand Avenue naturally is THE place for a walleye sandwich. Maynard's, Tavern on Grand and the Twin Cities Grill I can personally vouch for.

There very well may be others. Just to the west of Victoria is Waconia and Nancy's Landing right on the shore of Lake Waconia but I don't know if they have a walleye sandwich on the menu. I had an all you can eat special of breaded sunnies, crappies and bluegills at Nancy's Landing. There is a restaurant right in Victoria, forget the name, that might have a walleye sandwich.

Keep in mind, I think all these walleyes are actually Canadian Walleye. Not that that is bad but if you can get up in the resort areas of northern Minnesota you might get the opportunity to actually eat local fresh catch. Sundancer7 may very well get that opportunity up in Brainerd. Canada can still be commercially fished. Minnesota is strictly a sports fishing state with exception of some Native American tribal waters.

Bobs
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Mon, 05/15/06 6:56 PM
Davydd- I appreciate the suggestions and will provide a report when I get back. Sounds great and I am ready to enjoy!

Hazelmn
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Thu, 05/18/06 12:09 PM
I agree that the walleye sandwich at Maynard's is up there with the best. Excelsior is a nice destination for a couple hours, too. Quaint little 150-year old village on the shores of Lake Minnetonka. Lots of shops and people watching. Rumor has it that an upscale Irish Pub with a high-end dinner menu will also open in Excelsior this summer.

After finishing your sandwich, don't order dessert. Instead, be sure to take a stroll to either Adele's (custard) or Lick's (homemade ice cream) to top off your visit. Both are a nice short walk from Maynard's and give you a nice, local dessert.

There is also a place up in Brainerd that serves a great Walleye sandwich. It is called the Black Bear Lodge. Worth finding if you are in that area.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Thu, 05/18/06 6:54 PM
The Irish Pub coming to Excelsior ths summer will be Jake O'Connor's located at the old Ace Hardware store building at 2nd St. and Water St. I don't think it will be that upscale. The owner is also the owner of O'Donovan's Irish Pub across from the Target Center in Minneapols. I would imagine it will be similar. We will have to wait and see.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 09/17/06 8:19 AM
I've been neglectful of the Walleye Sandwich while in my pursuit of the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. Actually, I have had a few but without camera in hand. So last night we ventured to Haskell's Port'o'call on the corner of Lake Street and Water Street. We sat outside overlooking Lake Minnetonka's Excelsior Bay and the party boat dock and I remembered the camera. We have precious few days left this year in Minnesota to sit outside. Haskell's is a local chain of liquor stores specializing in wine. This Haskell's has an attached on sale bar that I would say is strictly that, no frills and mostly bar food of hamburgers and fried stuff, but no pork tenderloin sandwich. They do have a half dozen chicken sandwiches to choose from and a good variety of appetizers (mostly fried). The sandwich is about norm for bar food in Minnesota. The fries were pretty good.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 09/30/06 11:41 AM
We tried another grill last night, The Pine Street Grill in the old Chaska Mill. Chaska is a town about 30 miles southwest of Minneapolis but just a few miles direct south of us on the Minnesota River. The Pine Street Grill is your standard local bar/grill in a small town with a standard set of sandwiches, burgers, pasta and pizza. My wife ordered a Rachel that was too big to eat in one setting for her. I had the Walleye sandwich on the hoagie. While you wait for your food they give you a basket of homemade potato chips. They were hard to not eat. The Walleye sandwich was very good, BTW.

In the continuing pursuit of Minnesota's Walleye sandwich in the absence of a pork tenderloin sandwich, here it is...

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 09/30/06 3:04 PM
Davydd, we don't have fish sandwiches like that out west here. That is truly a thing of beauty. I envy you.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 10/21/06 8:07 PM
This week we switch to the good ol' walleye sandwich and give the pork tenderloins a rest after eating the world's largest in St. Olaf, IA. We ventured out to Mound, MN on Lake Minnetonka to Al & Almas. If the name sounds familiar maybe you remember the Minnesota Vikings love boat fiasco last year on one of their cruise boats. Al & Almas puts their boat fleet to bed in October and the friendly small restaurant takes over in the limelight. It is truly a neighborhood place tucked away in a primarily residential area--very unusual in Minnesota suburbs. The walleye was tasty as always. The choice of potato salad was a switch the usual fries. The potato salad was made exactly the way I like it with hard boiled eggs mixed in.

Here is the sandwich served by the way with Red Hook Autumn Ale on tap.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Mon, 12/18/06 10:55 PM
I believe the Twin City Grill at the Mall of America has been discussed numerous times here and elsewhere in Roadfood.com. I guess it is about time we got the goods out there for a view. So here is the Twin City Grill Walleye sandwich.

Ciaoman
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Mon, 12/18/06 11:11 PM
These fish sandwiches look delicious! Thanks for the pix. Question, please. I've never had the pleasure of eating a walleye sandwich but have enjoyed many sandwiches featuring fresh cod, swordfish and haddock. I've also had excellent grouper sandwiches in FL. Do any of these stack up to walleye? Similarities?

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Tue, 12/19/06 4:22 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Grand Ave. Tavern in St. Paul, MN. Best dang walleye I ever ate. They serve it either fried or broiled. Had it both ways. Broiled is good, fried is better. Nice little place, in a nice area. If you're in the Twin Cities and you want walleye, this is a must visit.

OK, it is time for a tasty update. I did stop in at the Tavern on Grand in St. Paul, MN and sampled their deep fried walleye sandwich. You can also get it grilled. You can also get an entree dinner of walleye and you can also get a walleye appetizer. In other words, they got walleye and it is dang good. It could be the best. Here it is. Enjoy.

Sounds like the place is Wall to Wall Walleye.

Hazelmn
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Tue, 12/19/06 5:58 PM
Thanks for the great ideas on walleye sandwich. I can validate that the Pine Street restaurant in Chaska makes a good one.

By the way, Jake O'Connor's Irish Pub is now open in Excelsior. It is certainly upscale, very nice, a great place for a meal. Probably a great place for a drink as well, but strikes me more as a restaurant first and a pub 2nd. Beautifully decorated. Check it out.

It has nothing to do with a Walleye sandwich, but since Jake O'Connor's had been referenced earlier, I thought I would circle back.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Tue, 12/19/06 7:11 PM
Jake O'Connor's wants to try to stay true to Irish food I think. I tried to get them interested in a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich and even sent them pictures of a Muldoon's, Carmel, IN and Billy O'Neal's, Indianapolis, IN tenderloin.

I noticed they were open Saturday night but we attended Christmas parties both Friday and Saturday and did not get a chance to stop in. I would rather it be a pub more than a restaurant that tries to go upscale. O'Donovan's (downtown Minneapolis same owner) is just about right. I did find a new as of last August Irish pub in Maple Plain on County Rd 19 and US 12. It is called McGarry's. I enjoyed it.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Tue, 12/19/06 7:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

These fish sandwiches look delicious! Thanks for the pix. Question, please. I've never had the pleasure of eating a walleye sandwich but have enjoyed many sandwiches featuring fresh cod, swordfish and haddock. I've also had excellent grouper sandwiches in FL. Do any of these stack up to walleye? Similarities?

If you ask a Minnesotan, the walleye is better. They are all a fairly mild white meat. You should add catfish to that bunch for a better comparison of fresh water fish. What sets any fish sandwich apart from the rest is how fresh it is. Maybe the best fried fish I ever had was the dolphin I caught and ate the same day that my mother fried up in Florida. Freshwater fish that you can cook up right away for a shore lunch can't be beat. That includes sunnies, bluegills and crappies.

desertdog
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Wed, 12/20/06 11:00 AM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

If you ask a Minnesotan, the walleye is better. They are all a fairly mild white meat. You should add catfish to that bunch for a better comparison of fresh water fish. What sets any fish sandwich apart from the rest is how fresh it is. Maybe the best fried fish I ever had was the dolphin I caught and ate the same day that my mother fried up in Florida. Freshwater fish that you can cook up right away for a shore lunch can't be beat. That includes sunnies, bluegills and crappies.

Carful there, Davydd. Better to call it Dorado or Mahi Mahi or folks will think you ate Flipper!

You're right though, it is an exqusite tasting fish whether it's broiled, baked, fried or grilled. Four hours from us is Puerto Penasco, MX on the Sea of Cortez. Whenever I am down it's either that or the great shrimp, both of which were pulled from the water only hours before.

desertdog
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Wed, 12/20/06 11:05 AM
Great pictures by the way...that Pine Street Grill entry looks absolutely awesome! I might be up to Minnesota in January ( need to remind myself that this global warming thing is a bunch of hooey ), brother lives down in Red Wing. I may spend a day in the Twin Cities just to try a couple of your Walleye and Pork Tenderloin suggestions.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Thu, 12/21/06 10:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hazelmn

Thanks for the great ideas on walleye sandwich. I can validate that the Pine Street restaurant in Chaska makes a good one.

By the way, Jake O'Connor's Irish Pub is now open in Excelsior. It is certainly upscale, very nice, a great place for a meal. Probably a great place for a drink as well, but strikes me more as a restaurant first and a pub 2nd. Beautifully decorated. Check it out.

It has nothing to do with a Walleye sandwich, but since Jake O'Connor's had been referenced earlier, I thought I would circle back.

I made it to Jake O'Connor's tonight. Nada on the walleye and the pork tenderloin sandwich. You are right. It is a restaurant but yet it has two bars and certainly a great pub feel. We got there at 5:40 PM usually a time when you can always get a seat and they said not until 7:30 was there an opening. So we went to the lower level where the widescreen TVs were and a more informal place. There they only served off the starters (appetiizers) page of the menu. We settled for that with an order of crab cakes and mini tenderloin (beef) sandwiches. The food was excellent. The mini tenderloins amounted to three with buns about the size of a White Castle burger. The place is a tad pricey but I will go back.

Hazelmn
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 12/22/06 10:24 AM
Great to hear your impression of Jake O'Connor's. It is a bit pricey, but in my opinion that actually vills a better niche for the Excelsior area. There are already plenty of places around to grab a burger and a cheap beer.

2 hour wait on a Thursday night??? Now that is a nice way to start your business!

Hazelwood Tap and Grille has really impressed us as well, but I haven't look to see if there is a Walleye Sandwich.

Neesie
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 12/22/06 12:09 PM
Davyyd, enough with the pictures already! You are making me want to eat my monitor! My hubby orders walleye a lot when we go out. He really likes it at the Upper Deck in Forest Lake. I love their Juicy Lucy.

What is it with Floridians and their love of ocean fish? I can see having a taste for the ocean fish, but they seem to ignore the freshwater fish. We stayed with some friends in Naples and my husband and son caught a large amount of crappies on a fresh water lake. (Imolokee?) Later that night we had an old-fashioned fish fry at the house and neighbors were just raving and having a heck of a good time. From what I understood, they had never tried fresh water fish, unless you count catfish.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 12/22/06 1:46 PM
Hazellwood does not have fried walleye sandwich either. If they had I would have certainly had a picture up here. Maynard's does have one and it is pretty good.

Neesie, I don't begrudge Floridians, Bostonians, San Franciscans, etc. their seafood. They at least have the opportunity to get it fresh. Having lived in Newport, R. I. once for three years I have a difficult time getting excited over seafood in Minnesota. Sure, some restaurants are good but nothing to rave about. There is a major difference to me between fresh catch same day in restaurants on the wharf and fresh catch flown in from somewhere even on the same day. Fish of any kind, fresh or sea, does not age well. It's not beef.

Hazelmn
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 12/22/06 2:22 PM
I agree completely on the catch-of-the day thing. That is why even mediocre restaurants in Minnesota can produce a pretty darn good Walleye sandwich. And that is why it is always a good idea to get a side of Wild Rice soup with that sandwich. Whenever there has been a fresh harvest of wild rice up north, all the restaurants make a few batches, and it is spectacular.

When I was in the pacific NW, I always ordered salmon. But in the southeast, I found myself getting Grouper or Shrimp. It is all about the local delicacies.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 04/6/07 9:59 PM
Time for another walleye sandwich update and a respite this week from breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. We took in Maynard's Restaurant on Lake Minnetonka's Excelsior Bay in Excelsior, MN. Maynard's a popular restaurant on the lake with boat docking and with a large summertime dockside outdoor eating area. But on this day in April it was a very cold 25F and we stayed inside.

The walleye sandwich came on a hoagie bun with tartar sauce, shredded lettuce and melted cheddar cheese. Sides were a choice of chips or coldslaw. Sliced pickles were an accent. I ordered mine with a Smithwick's Irish ale.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Tue, 04/10/07 8:28 PM
It was inevitable. I created a new website for Walleye Fish Sandwiches.

Another photo gallery with all the sandwiches together...

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Walleye%20Sandwiches.html

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 11:06 AM
This week's walleye sandwich is from the Victoria House Restaurant overlooking Steiger Lake in Victoria, Minnesota. Victoria is a exurbia community fast becoming a Minneapolis suburb southwest of Lake Minnetonka.

The sandwich is served with cheese, lettuce, tomato, tartar sauce, pickle and onion rings. French fries are another option.

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1682
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 2:01 PM
quote:
Davydd Posted - 04/10/2007 : 20:28:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave.............. very nice website you have there................ I need to start something like that.
looking at your travel van
"Pleasure-Way Plateau Sprinter Camper Van"
I began to wonder what something like that would cost.$$$$$$$$$$$$
Linda and I have a Ford F150 econoline that we use for "on the road". Each and every night we use a Hotel/Motel............ no sleeping or eating in our van that would be rule no.#273454.9 .........
..............just coffee and an occasional cigar with windows open.........
your van looks....... like something I might like

BunglingBill
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 2:18 PM
As usual, I got in on this thread late, but I think that I saw a post that said walleye weren't available in the "South."

Does Arkansas (albeit northern Arkansas) qualify as "South"?

I had a simply scrumptious walleye at Don Quixote's (sp?) in Calico Rock, Arkansas. The owner of the quaint little restaurant bragged that the fish had "just been caught" in the White River.

Well, I cannot verify where the walleye was caught, of course, BUT I can verify that the dinner was exceptionally good, and the fish was obviously fresh.

Obviously, one does NOT have to be lovable YANKEE to enjoy good walleye.

Bill

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 2:26 PM
quote:

This week's walleye sandwich is from the Victoria House Restaurant overlooking Steiger Lake in Victoria, Minnesota. Victoria is a exurbia community fast becoming a Minneapolis suburb southwest of Lake Minnetonka.

The sandwich is served with cheese, lettuce, tomato, tartar sauce, pickle and onion rings. French fries are another option.

thats a great looking sandwich...how was it?

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 4:42 PM
Larry, The sandwich was actually very good. The cheese was plain old American cheese but was OK. The hoagie bun was fresh. They were sparse on the onion rings as you can see but they were just right as well. If we take the bicycle trail that goes right by the restaurant at a straight southwest angle this place is about 4 miles from our house. To drive it, it is about 8 miles because of all the winding roads around Lake Minnetonka and 90 degree road zig zags after. They serve pork tenderloin medallions for an entree dinner so I think I will work on them to add a pork tenderloin sandwich since they obviously have pork tenderloins.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 4:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
Davydd Posted - 04/10/2007 : 20:28:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave.............. very nice website you have there................ I need to start something like that.
looking at your travel van
"Pleasure-Way Plateau Sprinter Camper Van"
I began to wonder what something like that would cost.$$$$$$$$$$$$
Linda and I have a Ford F150 econoline that we use for "on the road". Each and every night we use a Hotel/Motel............ no sleeping or eating in our van that would be rule no.#273454.9 .........
..............just coffee and an occasional cigar with windows open.........
your van looks....... like something I might like

Sizz,

Those Sprinter Camper vans don't come cheap, but that's what banks are for. An average price is about $75,000. We got ours new a year old from a dealer getting out of the motorhome business so did a lot better than that. The Mercedes Benz diesel engine delivers 22 mpg plus. Our last fill up was 23.5 mpg so it is a really good touring van with a complete kitchen, bathroom, and queen size bed. I've dubbed it my breaded pork tenderloin sandwich pursuit vehicle. Next weekend we are going to drive 231 miles for a tenderloin and camp overnight nearby. We will be heading out mid May for our 2007 pork tenderloin sandwich pursuit that will mainly take us to Indiana but we will get as far as North Carolina and Virginia.

Here is a site to check out: http://www.pleasureway.com

There are a few other manufacturers. Check out Roadtrek, Leisure Travel Vans, Great West Vans, Sportsmobile and Airstream.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 4:56 PM
Bungling Bill,

The walleye is mostly a cold water fish. Most all come from Canada that are served in restaurants. There are a few locally caught in Minnesota and Wisconsin near resort areas but the availablility is spotty. If a restaurant has walleye permanently on the menu it would have to be imported from Canada or it might be a cousin fish called Zander imported from Europe. Catfish is the southern equivalent and also very good. Catfish sandwiches start right at the Minnesota border passing into Iowa. It changes over that fast.

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 04/21/07 5:26 PM
I'm going to have to start checking me out some of these Walleye sandwiches and pork tenderloins. I live right on the Iowa/MN border.

I found myself looking at this rv the other day:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/winnebago/view/index.php

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 04/22/07 3:33 PM
Theedge,

I will be in Wellsburg, IA at the Townhouse Supper Club sampling the 2006 Iowa Pork Board winning breaded pork tenderloin sandwich Saturday night. C'mon over. I bet they have catfish on the menu too.

The Winnebago View is a Sprinter cab chassis but not a van. I looked at them but thought the C motorhome, which it is, was just a tad too big for touring and pursuing. The Sprinter van will fit where autos go. The View has to go with the trucks and motorhomes at the rest stops and Flying Js. I tried to get my wife interested in one but the first comment out of her mouth was we would have to tow a car. That I will not do. Maybe when we reach a point where we will think more in terms of going from home to destination and stopping for a while we would think of something bigger. Right now we probably will not spend more than two nights in one spot.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Wed, 06/27/07 9:57 PM
It has been a while since I posted my last walleye sandwich. This is an encore picture I posted in the Minnesota Northern Exposure trip log thread. It came from Betty's Pies in Two Harbors, MN. More is said about it here. http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20686

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Wed, 06/27/07 10:02 PM
Oh, but I am not done. Today I went to lunch at Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis (not the TV show). Hell's Kitchen is more known for its breakfast fare and usually gets fantastic raves in that category. Lunch is not too shabby either with some interesting menu items. I could not resist this one. This could probably be the only breaded walleye BLT sandwich in existence on a restaurant menu.

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 06/30/07 9:49 PM
I have only been in Minnesota once, and that was only the airport; however, I did make sure to get a walleye sandwich and a cup of wild rice soup. I don't remember the name of the airport restaurant. It was some place with a faux lodge motif. Anyway, even though I'm sure what I had was by no means the best the area has to offer, I did enjoy both the sandwich and the soup.

It is interesting to see the different fried fish sandwiches from around the country. In Maryland we have lake trout, which is not trout but whiting, and flounder as our contributions to the deep fryer. I seem to remembe the walleye being a bit sweeter than both the flounder and the lake trout.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 07/7/07 10:14 AM
There is an almond incrusted fried walleye sandwich in that basket somewhere. I was sitting out on the wharf under an evening sun and could hardly see the picture to compose it. I should have realized the fries were hiding the walleye. Anyway we sat out on the wharf at Lord Fletcher's Old Lake Lodge restaurant where you can watch the many boats cruise by. It was a perfect summer evening at 82 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 07/7/07 10:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

I have only been in Minnesota once, and that was only the airport; however, I did make sure to get a walleye sandwich and a cup of wild rice soup. I don't remember the name of the airport restaurant. It was some place with a faux lodge motif. Anyway, even though I'm sure what I had was by no means the best the area has to offer, I did enjoy both the sandwich and the soup.

It is interesting to see the different fried fish sandwiches from around the country. In Maryland we have lake trout, which is not trout but whiting, and flounder as our contributions to the deep fryer. I seem to remembe the walleye being a bit sweeter than both the flounder and the lake trout.

Robearjr,

Since I usually fly out of Minneapolis/St. Paul I rarely take in the restaurants there or pay a lot of attention. I'll get a coffee at the Caribou Coffee Shop at best. I could guess it could be Axel's Bonfire. There is the Itasca Grille and Northern Lights as well that might meet your description of a faux lodge motif. If it were Axel's Bonfire, a local mini chain of restaurants, you might have gotten a fairly good walleye sandwich. One of the local AM radio hosts swears they have the best walleye. I'll have to try the one near my home and find out.

Robearjr
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 07/7/07 11:34 AM
Northern Lights sounds familar. I'm pretty sure I also had a local beer there. (Yes, I know this is not really narrowing it down.)

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Thu, 07/12/07 1:57 PM
For the record more walleye sandwiches. You can read more about them here...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20686#309892

Trails End Cafe walleye sandwich at the very end of the Gunflint Trail in Northern Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area

The Rustic Inn Cafe Po Boy walleye sandwich in Castle Danger, Minnesota on the North Shore of Lake Superior

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 11/9/07 8:14 PM
It has been a few months. I've been so busy pursuing the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich out of state (of Minnesota) that I had been neglecting the breaded Walleye sandwich. Would you believe the closest restaurant to my home less than one mile away has one and I had not tried it? Yep this is the Hazellewood Grill & Tap Room.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 12/23/07 10:09 AM
We headed out to Washington DC Friday and got to the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport early with enough time for lunch. There are two relatively new restaurants in the main concourse of the Lindbergh Terminal in Axel's Bonfire and Ike's. Both served a fried walleye sandwich. Decisions, decisions. Ike's got the nod though I am sure Axel's would have come through as well. Actually Ike's got the nod because the Lady wanted a burger and Ike's has one of the best in the Twin Cities. But this is a walleye thread. The Ike's beer battered walleye came through. It was excellent and a salad was practically sprinkled over the top of it. It came with fries and a vinegar based cole slaw at an airport captive price of $13.99. I think there is also a conspiracy to keep you sober on your flight with Summit Pale Ale draft at $6.49. What the heck, we were in a festive holiday mood and fast food around the terminal was out. If you are just passing through the airport and want to sample Minnesota's specialty I am sure both Axel's Bonfire and Ike's can satisfy you.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 12/23/07 10:22 AM
OOOOH, That looks good!!

Sundancer7
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 12/23/07 10:49 AM
DavyD: A plate well presented. As a fairly frequent visitor to MSP, I will definately try your selection while I am waiting for a flight. A little pricey but $14.00 is not out of the picture.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

Robearjr
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sun, 12/23/07 10:22 PM
Well, a beer for $6.50 is still better than at a football stadium. $6.50 would feel like happy hour.

As to the latest pic, the fish looks great, but I'd prefer the tomatoes and onions sliced rather than diced.

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 12/28/07 6:03 PM
I was at the Twin City Grill in the MOA on Wednesday and I split their fried walleye sandwich with a friend and it was quite delightful. Fries and slaw were great too, not at all an afterthought.

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Fri, 12/28/07 11:07 PM
Nancy,

The Twin Cities Grill is one of my favorite places at MOA. Interestingly it is a corporate owned restaurant by a Chicago company but I don't hold that against them.

The Mall BTW is a liberals anathema. All my Twin Cities friends hate the Mall and denigrate it every chance they can and claim they refuse to go there. They said it would fail. But I was the architectural technical director that put three years of my career into helping create it. I enjoy going there just to walk around indoors in the winter if nothing else. Even if I don't shop I never leave without sampling and buying cheese at Rybicky's Cheese Shop on the 3rd level west end.

Robearjr
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 12/29/07 10:45 AM
Outside of Minnesota, how far east can you go and still get a good walleye sandwich? Can I get one in the lake erie area?

Davydd
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 12/29/07 1:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

Outside of Minnesota, how far east can you go and still get a good walleye sandwich? Can I get one in the lake erie area?

Probably the port cities on Lake Erie in Ohio, and then the lake country in Michigan and Wisconsin. Upstate New York may have them too but I have no direct knowledge. Of course Canada. Walleye is a cold freshwater lake fish.

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich - Sat, 12/29/07 5:04 PM
Well I heard you guys talking about it (the Twin Cities Grill) and we were desperate for a touristy thing to do that my nephew (who was making his first trip) would enjoy, so we ended up at the MOA. I don't hate the MOA, I just don't really enjoy malls in general so it's not something I really look to do when we're up there. It's always fascinating to look at the roller coaster area--so hats off to you for that Mr. Davydd. It's astounding.

I thought it seemed not trashy enough for my tastes, but like you said, I didn't hold it against them. And the food was really good for a corporate type place, so thanks for the rec. I still haven't hit any of the really terrific Twin Cities RF list places--we're always doing family stuff and I'm not hardcore enough to just wander off alone.

We went to Rybickys! My partner's best friend was scouring the joint for a Packers knit cap for her hubby and somebody said they were loaded with Packers gear. And then I discovered the Nordstrom's Rack and that's all I have to say about that. ;) This same BF used to work at Camp Snoopy back when it was Camp Snoopy and she never hesitates to sniff condescendingly at whatever it is these days. :)

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 134