Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Sirloin
2005/09/26 21:41:35
The Walleye is Minnesota's state fish and the Fried Walleye sandwich is the represented sandwich for Minnesota in the "AMERICAN SANDWICH" book by Becky Mercuri. No bar or pub in Minnesota serving food dare not have the Walleye sandwich on its menu. It is typically prepared with a cracker or bread crumb batter, deep fried and served on a hoagie type bun with shredded lettuce and tartar sauce. I know Wisconsin shares in this delectable treat. Once you move south the main equivalent fare in bars, pubs and restaurants becomes something else like the pork tenderloin sandwich in Indiana.

My pursuits start close to home. The best I tasted so far was at the Narrows Saloon in Navarre (Orono), Minnesota located in the midst of Lake Minnetonka two miles away from my home. What I like about their "Habanero Crusted Walleye Sandwich" is their slightly jalapeno flavored tartar sauce. Now the pursuit is on to find the ultimate Walleye sandwich. This should be fun and a lot less difficult than finding a pork tenderloin sandwich in Minnesota.

So how far does a true fried Walleye sandwich range? I have to believe Michigan and northern Ohio share as well.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/26 22:17:10
Some people actually fry walleye. That, of course, is their problem.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/26 22:29:29

The Culver's Chain serves Walleye sandwiches and dinners here in Southern Indiana (near Louisville). I've tried both and find that I prefer Catfish.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/27 20:23:39
Culvers was serving Walleye sandwiches earlier this past summer but quit recently. I was told it was only a special at the time.

There is fresh local Walleye, Canadian Walleye and also imported Zander from Europe. Sometimes you don't really know what you are getting. Most commercial Walleye sold in the US is Canadian. Some better restaurants in Minnesota will serve fresh Minnesota Walleye in season.

I wouldn't turn catfish down either. Both are good but you will rarely find catfish served in Minnesota. My all-time favorite catfish dinner was in Colfax, IN about midway between Indianapolis and Lafayette. I understand that restaurant is no longer in business.
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/27 20:52:23
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've never seen it "not fried". Do you broil it or something? I work right by a little place that fries smelts "in season", catfish, walleye, perch and shrimp. They're also doing a fish "boil" for the upcoming Fall season daily. The place is Don's Dock in Des Plaines IL.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 11:42:37
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:

I've never seen it "not fried". Do you broil it or something? I work right by a little place that fries smelts "in season", catfish, walleye, perch and shrimp. They're also doing a fish "boil" for the upcoming Fall season daily. The place is Don's Dock in Des Plaines IL.

I saute, broil, bake, steam, grill, and even boil walleye. If you promise not to tell anyone, I'll admit to actually frying it at a fish-fry or two.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 16:15:41
You're secret is safe with us

(Although, the way DavyDD described the sandwich, I'm really to fly to MN! - Minneapolis, St. Paul Here I come !)

Actually, what drove me to this thread was the mention of Walleye. Since moving away from the great lakes region, I haven't even seen walleye fish. Makes me pine for fishing on Ontario and Erie.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 21:58:50
Freshly caught freshwater fish is meant to be fried in a cast iron skillet. You can broil, bake, steam, boil or grill in your home or at a fancy restaurant but when you are at the lake cabin or out in the woods you fry.

Also when you go to a bar or pub you buy fried food to go with those french fries or onion rings and beer. That's where you find the fried walleye sandwiches. It's road food. :)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 22:06:59
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Freshly caught freshwater fish is meant to be fried in a cast iron skillet. You can broil, bake, steam, boil or grill in your home or at a fancy restaurant but when you are at the lake cabin or out in the woods you fry.

I guess things are different where I fish. A shore lunch is for frying. No question about it. But, Canoe camping, cabin cooking, tent camp cooking -- I saute, grill, steam and boil. It's not a problem. I don't broil or bake, because I usually do not have an oven, other than my Coleman oven, and I save that for roasts and biscuits, and the like.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 04:31:01
I love Walleye and more so fresh Lake Pearch and besides the fish that we catch fresh ourselves and fry up, i'll go with the Boardwalk at Put-In-Bay in Lake Erie as having a good walleye sandwich. We usually make the trip up once a year.

http://www.the-boardwalk.com/restaurant.html
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 09:04:13
Walleye is wonderful, but almost impossible to find in South. I know that they are not caught in these parts, but is there some reason that they can't be sent commercially here for seafood markets? Went on business trip to Detroit a few months ago and had wonderful baked walleye at good downtown restaurant.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 10:56:03
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Walleye is wonderful, but almost impossible to find in South. I know that they are not caught in these parts, but is there some reason that they can't be sent commercially here for seafood markets? Went on business trip to Detroit a few months ago and had wonderful baked walleye at good downtown restaurant.

Perhaps not in the Carolinas, but they sure have big walleyes in places in the south such as Arkansas' Greer's Ferry Lake, where the world record lived before being caught at more than 25 pounds.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 20:01:05
quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

I love Walleye and more so fresh Lake Pearch and besides the fish that we catch fresh ourselves and fry up, i'll go with the Boardwalk at Put-In-Bay in Lake Erie as having a good walleye sandwich. We usually make the trip up once a year.

http://www.the-boardwalk.com/restaurant.html

Good site complete with a Jimmy Buffett tune.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 20:11:18
quote:

quote:

I guess things are different where I fish. A shore lunch is for frying. No question about it. But, Canoe camping, cabin cooking, tent camp cooking -- I saute, grill, steam and boil. It's not a problem. I don't broil or bake, because I usually do not have an oven, other than my Coleman oven, and I save that for roasts and biscuits, and the like.

No question there are different ways to prepare. I actually had broiled Minnesota Walleye last Friday night for an entree dinner. But the pub sandwich is battered and fried and put mostly on a hoagie bun with the tarter sauce and shredded lettuce best served with greasy fries and a draft of Guinness (or Summit Pale Ale, Bells Two-Hearted Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale...)
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/03 08:51:24

Friday the lunch special at Popeye's in Lake Geneva Wis. was a very tasty and crusty fried walleye sandwich. We love this place and try to get there several times a year.

http://popeyesonlakegeneva.com/
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/03 19:33:21
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

Friday the lunch special at Popeye's in Lake Geneva Wis. was a very tasty and crusty fried walleye sandwich. We love this place and try to get there several times a year.

Nice menu but I guess the crusty fried walleye sandwich is relegated to specials only since it is not on their printed standard menu. I notice they do serve fried Canadian bluegill fillets. Now that is an unusual item.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/03 20:51:28
Grand Ave. Tavern in St. Paul, MN. Best dang walleye I ever ate. They serve it either fried or broiled. Had it both ways. Broiled is good, fried is better. Nice little place, in a nice area. If you're in the Twin Cities and you want walleye, this is a must visit.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/05 21:45:46
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Grand Ave. Tavern in St. Paul, MN. Best dang walleye I ever ate. They serve it either fried or broiled. Had it both ways. Broiled is good, fried is better. Nice little place, in a nice area. If you're in the Twin Cities and you want walleye, this is a must visit.

I drove by there last weekend and wondered if they served pork tenderloin sandwiches. I'll have to give their walleye try.

Last night I had grilled Cajun Catfish at Rick's Boatyard in Indianapolis. Catfish is good but fresh walleye, I mean really fresh, is great.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/05 21:52:13
Davydd-I know this is the "Sandwich" forum, and Grand Avenue Tavern does have a walleye sandwich, but get the walleye dinner instead. Two filets done perfectly and a couple of sides. This is a full meal that will leave you very satisfied.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/05 21:55:45
here is the website
www.tavernongrand.com
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/06 21:21:42
The Tavern on Grand has a knockout walleye menu. It looks like it is now a must place to try. It may take a few visits to try all the varieties. Thanks guys for the information.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/08 16:53:38
Today I had a crab cake roll sandwich on a hoagie at Coastal Flats in Fairfax, VA. I must say it was mighty good. Ain't gonna get that in Minnesota.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/31 13:40:25
Curious about the fried Walleye sandwich? Here is a picture of one from the Choo Choo Bar & Restaurant in Loretto, MN. It came without tartar sauce.

jeepguy
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/31 15:14:58
quote:

quote:

Nice menu but I guess the crusty fried walleye sandwich is relegated to specials only since it is not on their printed standard menu. I notice they do serve fried Canadian bluegill fillets. Now that is an unusual item.
In the summer expect super long waits and absolutely no parking. I've a few times and the prices are insane! Food pretty good but in a chain-like way.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/11/01 08:40:28
Jeepguy, I discovered a little secret a few weeks ago when we went to Popeye's on a beautiful fall Saturday, there is a parking lot behind the pit behind the building, it's controled by a big guy that you have to swear that you are going to Popeye's for a meal, you can then go in the back door and be seated immediately! I was pretty surprised by how much their prices went up too but I must say I had one of the best burgers I have had in a very long time. No walleye for specials this month, they were on an Octoberfest theme.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/13 22:17:34
quote:

OK, it is time for a tasty update. I did stop in at the Tavern on Grand in St. Paul, MN and sampled their deep fried walleye sandwich. You can also get it grilled. You can also get an entree dinner of walleye and you can also get a walleye appetizer. In other words, they got walleye and it is dang good. It could be the best. Here it is. Enjoy.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/13 23:13:37
Ah, sweet vindication. Almost as sweet as a walleye sandwich at Tavern on Grand. Thanks for the update Davyd, glad you enjoyed your dinner.

Buddy
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/14 07:56:50
quote:

Ah, sweet vindication. Almost as sweet as a walleye sandwich at Tavern on Grand. Thanks for the update Davyd, glad you enjoyed your dinner.

Buddy

I have been to this restaurant in St. Paul many times and I have always enjoyed it.

It is super when others validate what I have always thought.

Next time you are there, try the Twin City Grill inside the Mall of America.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxvillle, TN
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/14 08:56:38
Tavern on Grand was outstanding. I was there back in 1999 and I remember I enjoyed my sandwich with a cup of turkey wild rice soup and a Pint of Leinenkugel. Every stop which I made on that trip which Included Kaffe Stuga's Scandinavian Buffet at the Radisson Hotel in Bloomington, Crabtree's Kitchen in Marine St Croix which is sadly gone and The Anderson House in Wabasha were all superb!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/14 19:46:12
Paul,

I am very familiar with the Twin City Grill and the Mall of America. I spent three years of my life as an architect helping create that huge mall. The next time I go down there I will check out the Twin City Grill again.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/26 04:47:23
quote:

quote:

OK, it is time for a tasty update. I did stop in at the Tavern on Grand in St. Paul, MN and sampled their deep fried walleye sandwich. You can also get it grilled. You can also get an entree dinner of walleye and you can also get a walleye appetizer. In other words, they got walleye and it is dang good. It could be the best. Here it is. Enjoy.

This looks so good!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/26 14:56:13
I passed my local Culvers and the marque sign out front said Walleye is back, is it a seasonal thing?
saps
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/26 15:20:49
quote:

Paul,

I am very familiar with the Twin City Grill and the Mall of America. I spent three years of my life as an architect helping create that huge mall. The next time I go down there I will check out the Twin City Grill again.

My father-in-law was the Port Authority attorney on the Mall of America project and negotiated the deal with the Ghermazian brothers. He was also a Bloomington city councilman along and was a good friend of Jim Lindau's. When I was in college there, I used to work at the Thunderbird Motel.

Been to Tavern-On-Grand many times (love it) and used to frequent it back when it was Scanlan's Bar for some Harp and a shot of Jameson's. My roommate was a bartender there.

Another way that we fried walleye up in Canada was with a very light coating of Cinnamon Crisp cereal which was different but quite good
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/26 15:36:25
quote:

I passed my local Culvers and the marque sign out front said Walleye is back, is it a seasonal thing?

It may be at Culvers. The only way walleye would be considered seasonal would have to do with boats not being able to get out on the lakes because of ice.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/26 19:57:31
quote:

quote:

It may be at Culvers. The only way walleye would be considered seasonal would have to do with boats not being able to get out on the lakes because of ice.

I can't figure out how that could be the reason if Walleye is back now. The lakes have been frozen over. Walleye is commercially netted so fishing can go on throughout the Winter. Then there are all those crazy anglers sitting on 5 gallon buckets out on the ice to catch them. I suspect it is more a promotional thing to keep inerest up. I will have to check this weekend.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/26 20:01:08
Speaking of the Mall of America and fishing, the newspaper said Bass Pro may be coming to the Mall of America Phase II expansion with a 300,000 sf store.

I checked out the Twin City Grill Sunday. They have a Walleye sandwich on the menu. In fact I now remember I had one there a couple of times.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/27 21:08:23
The Walleye sandwich is indeed back at Culvers. It was on their special board but not on the main permanent board. I had one tonight and it tasted pretty darn good. Since there are now Culvers out and about in states that typically don't have Walleye I suggest if you are in one of those areas you go to a Culvers and try one. Personally I think they are better than catfish and definitely better than the generic cod many restaurants serve as a fish sandwich.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/04 20:32:14
quote:

Culvers was serving Walleye sandwiches earlier this past summer but quit recently. I was told it was only a special at the time.

There is fresh local Walleye, Canadian Walleye and also imported Zander from Europe. Sometimes you don't really know what you are getting. Most commercial Walleye sold in the US is Canadian. Some better restaurants in Minnesota will serve fresh Minnesota Walleye in season.

I wouldn't turn catfish down either. Both are good but you will rarely find catfish served in Minnesota. My all-time favorite catfish dinner was in Colfax, IN about midway between Indianapolis and Lafayette. I understand that restaurant is no longer in business.

CULVER'S ARE SERVING THEM AGAIN.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/04 22:55:52
I can't believe I neglected my own thread after encouraging people to see it. We went back to the Narrows Saloon in Navarre (Orono), MN near the middle of Lake Minnetonka and sampled the fried walleye sandwiches again. The taste was not quite as tangy as before with the habenero crust. This was back in the middle of January. Here is the web site and my sandwich photo.

Web site with posted menus: http://www.thenarrowssaloon.com/index.html

Narrows Saloon Walleye
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/04 23:42:12
quote:

quote:

From what I was told at Culver's it seasonal because they put it on the menu not too long before lent and then take it off a short time after lent.

I think alot of fast food places does this, McDonalds does it with their eggnog shakes and their shamrock shakes.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 15:01:50
Culver's had the walleye sandwich back just after the first of the year in January and Lent just started last week. I don't see how that would be tied to Lent. I can understand promoting fish during Lent but Culver's already had a fish sandwich on the menu. The Culver's TV ads heated up recently with the teaser the Walleye sandwich special might not be around too much longer. It could end well before Easter. If it does, that theory is out.

I think, they being a Wisconsin based company where the annual Spring fishing opener is BIG, that it is more a prelude promotion to that annual rite in an area where Walleye is the king of fish. Or it could be they just like to vary their menu to keep it fresh and interesting with a reliable anticipatory schedule much like retail stores do with their special sales.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 15:41:01
quote:

Culver's had the walleye sandwich back just after the first of the year in January and Lent just started last week. I don't see how that would be tied to Lent. I can understand promoting fish during Lent but Culver's already had a fish sandwich on the menu. The Culver's TV ads heated up recently with the teaser the Walleye sandwich special might not be around too much longer. It could end well before Easter. If it does, that theory is out.

I think, they being a Wisconsin based company where the annual Spring fishing opener is BIG, that it is more a prelude promotion to that annual rite in an area where Walleye is the king of fish. Or it could be they just like to vary their menu to keep it fresh and interesting with a reliable anticipatory schedule much like retail stores do with their special sales.

I guess the mamager at Culver's was lying to me.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 18:01:28
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451I guess the mamager at Culver's was lying to me.

Lying might be a stretch. It could be he had no idea and was speculating just as we are and the closer you get to Lent the more plausible it seems. The walleye sandwich special started in January and Lent started in March this year. It doesn't compute for me.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 18:05:41
I am flying to the Twin Cities this Wednesday. I look forward to having a walleye sandwich at the Twin Cities Grill at the mall of America. It may be a mall restaurant but it has been there a long time and the food is very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 18:18:08

At the risk of being told this is off-topic... Will someone please enlighten me as to what specie of fish is used in the traditional Great Lakes Fish Boil. I always thought it would be a fish that was popular in the Great Lakes Area...namely Walleye??
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 18:24:24
I have had the fish boil in Wisconsin, Michigan and Ontario Canada as I drove around Lake Superior. There may be other fish used but every time I have had it, they used white fish.

http://www.whitegullinn.com/fishboil.htm

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 18:49:03
Sundancer is right, it's Great Lakes white fish.......when I lived there, only allowed to be caught by the Native Americans still living and fishing on Lake Michigan. At the Grand Traverse Resort we bought all of our walleye and whitefish from the Natives.

Paul, enjoy your walleye sandwich....it's been many years since I've had one!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/05 18:52:55
Al,

Walleye is a popular Lake Erie fish in northern Ohio but not so much in other Great Lakes that I have heard of. It might be Walleye but Sundancer is right I think. White fish is probably a more popular choice out of the Great Lakes for a fish boil. That's true as well on the North Shore in Minnesota on Lake Superior. If Walleye they would not treat it generically. White fish is also a good meal. I would not turn it down.

Sundancer,

The Twin Cities Grill at the Mall of America is a good choice for a Walleye sandwich. Enjoy. I will be going back there soon myself.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/09 15:20:55
I ate at the Twin City Grill in Minneapolis at the Mall of America last evening. I had a super walleye sandwich with their special fries and coleslaw. It was $11.00 plus tip. It was very good with a nice brown crust. The bread was super and their tartar was very different. I cannot tell you the ingredients but I certainly enjoyed it.

They serve a complimentary flat bread before each meal.

The Mall of America is certainly a entertaining place. I have been there before but each time I am amazed at the huge size.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/09 19:33:28
Sundancer, your meal sounds delicious. We are big fish eaters and while we enjoy our salmon, halibut, cod and other fish we cannot get any fresh-water fish like pike, walleye or whitefish.

Next time I'm flying through Minneapolis I'll have to take time out to go to The Mall and have one of those sandwiches!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/09 20:49:30
Sundancer,

Great to hear you made it to the Mall of America. I'm glad the Twin City Grill turned out well for you.

The Mall was a project I worked on for three years to help make it happen. It was quite a rewarding experience. If you think it huge, I wish you could have seen it when it was under construction, enclosed, but without any interior walls up yet. You could stand at one end and look across a half mile to the other side. There are also over 7 miles of 20 foot high concrete retaining walls in the lower levels that no one has access to but staff. Below the mall is quite a labyrinth. Yes it is huge.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/09 21:35:35
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

At the risk of being told this is off-topic... Will someone please enlighten me as to what specie of fish is used in the traditional Great Lakes Fish Boil. I always thought it would be a fish that was popular in the Great Lakes Area...namely Walleye??

It's not off topic. But then, you're the moderator. I'm used to having lake trout in fish boils, but sometimes people use whitefish. You don't waste good walleye by boiling it.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/09 21:48:17
I've never heard of walleye being used for a fish boil; only whitefish.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/11 12:24:41
Getting back on track with Walleye sandwiches, here is a Culver's fried Walleye sandwich that we have discussed at length in this thread. I figure a picture is a good point of reference.

Culver's Walleye Sandwich
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/11 12:27:58
Davydd: That pic sure looks good to me. Too bad we do not have a Culvers in Knoxville.

Walleye is one of my favorite fishes and I sure do enjoy a walleye sandwich.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/11 15:35:02
I guess they don't ship Walleye to us in the east, wouldn't mind trying it. Maybe we should force their hand and refuse to ship lobsters out there. Chow Jim
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/03/11 15:42:17
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

I guess they don't ship Walleye to us in the east, wouldn't mind trying it. Maybe we should force their hand and refuse to ship lobsters out there. Chow Jim

Why don't you get your walleye the same way we get ours in Ohio. We fish for them. By the way, I did see walleye for sale at a Stop & Shop in Connecticut a few years ago.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/04/14 23:04:59
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Most Walleye in restaurants is actually commercially fished in Canada. The European cousin, Zander, is often imported and palmed off as Walleye in restaurants. Minnesota took restaurants to task over this practice. I would say if you don't have them on the menu out east it is because it might not be a commonly stocked fish in your lakes thus little desire and demand for it, not because it is not readily available. In Minnesota if you can catch it on your favorite lake in the summer you will want to continue eating it consistently in the winter. Not all Minnesotans ice fish. Just the crazy ones.

In the east most likely the equivalent is going to be a breaded cod filet. I had one in Worcester, MA in February. We even get that frequently in Minnesota along with Whitefish near the great lakes. In the south the equivalent most frequently will be a breaded catfish filet. I like them all but Walleye has a special taste, especially if it is fresh. But tonight I had all you can eat coconut breaded sunnies, crappies and bluegills at Nancy's Landing in Waconia, MN.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/04/21 20:36:41
Right in my backyard--a really good fried walleye sandwich. We went to Maynard's in Excelsior, MN tonight and I had a walleye sandwich with waffle fries. Presentation was great. Taste was great. The view of Lake Minnetonka was superb. Dang! I forgot my camera (much to my wife's usual embarrassed relief) so did not get a picture to post. You will have to take my word for it.

Quaffed down a 25 oz Guinness draft with the sandwich. The sandwich came on a baguette hoagie kind of bun with shredded lettuce, tartar sauce and cheddar cheese. I wasn't thinking walleye going in and I knew they had no breaded pork tenderloin sandwich so was unprepared to offer up the photo evidence. If you want to see where just Google Earth "Excelsior, MN" and look on the south end of Excelsior Bay for the restaurant. Life is good because we may put the boat in the water yet this weekend and the next trip will be by boat to Maynard's docks. So if you come to Minnesota and want a taste of what Minnesota is all about, I recommend Maynard's maybe more so than Tavern on Grand in St. Paul or the Twin Cities Grill at the Mall of America.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/04/24 15:38:46
quote:

Right in my backyard--a really good fried walleye sandwich. We went to Maynard's in Excelsior, MN tonight and I had a walleye sandwich with waffle fries....So if you come to Minnesota and want a taste of what Minnesota is all about, I recommend Maynard's maybe more so than Tavern on Grand in St. Paul or the Twin Cities Grill at the Mall of America.
Wow! Quite a statement Davy! As it happens, we are making our first trip of the year up to the Twin Cities on May 4-7. We might just take you up on this challenge. As you know we are big fans of Tavern on Grand, but always willing to try something new.

If we manage to get over there, I'll be sure to post and let you know what we think.

Thanks for the tip,

Buddy
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3