Risotto

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1137
  • Reward points : 0
Risotto - Tue, 09/27/05 8:13 AM
Does anyone make it, who could post a recipe and tips for making a basic risotto, or one with mushrooms? Have been wanting to try making it as a change from potatoes or pasta as a side dish.

rjb
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Risotto - Tue, 09/27/05 10:15 AM
Nothing to it, but you need the right rice. "Regular" i.e., long grain, rice turns to mush. Italian short grain Arborio is the key, as is paying attention.

Basic process is as follows (all quanitities are approximate)

Saute about 3/4 cup finely chopped onions (I use shallots sometimes) in olive oil. Add 1 cup Aborio rice & saute for a few minutes until the rice is slightly translucent. Don't brown the onions or the rice.

Add warm chicken stock about 1/2 cup at a time & stir continually until each dose of stock is absorbed. Keep adding stock until you have the consistency you want and the rice is done. Should take about 15 - 20 minutes total and use 2 - 3 cups of stock, but taste frequently toward the end, season appropriately, etc. Main thing is to pay attention & keep stirring.

When done, stir in about 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Eat immediately -- if it sits and cools down, it tend to congeal.

Variants: Use seafood stock & add shrimp, squid, etc. toward the end. No cheese.

Soak dried porcini mushrooms in the chicken stock (strain before adding to the rice), add to the risotto at the beginning.

Asparagus, peas & other spring veg. are also good. Cook asparagus first, use raw (or frozen) peas.

BelleReve
RE: Risotto - Tue, 09/27/05 12:09 PM
Thanks,RJB,just what I wanted. Can you use fresh mushrooms, maybe saute on the side, and drain well?

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Risotto - Tue, 09/27/05 12:32 PM
Adding a teaspoon of lemon juice to the water before cooking will keep the rice from sticking togethar.

rjb
RE: Risotto - Tue, 09/27/05 12:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BelleReve

Thanks,RJB,just what I wanted. Can you use fresh mushrooms, maybe saute on the side, and drain well?

Sure -- and don't bother draining unless you really drown them while sauteeing. Maybe deglaze the pan with your last dollop of stock to get all the good stuff out of the saute pan and into your risotto.

NB: saffron (added to the chicken stock) is a key ingredient if you're looking for Risotto a la Milanese, which is the classic go-with for osso buco.

BelleReve
RE: Risotto - Sun, 10/2/05 7:22 AM
rjb - thanks for a great recipe, made it last night with the mushrooms, and it was excellent, family loved it.

rjb
RE: Risotto - Mon, 10/3/05 10:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BelleReve

rjb - thanks for a great recipe, made it last night with the mushrooms, and it was excellent, family loved it.

Glad you enjoyed it. Basic risotto is a great canvas that you can paint up all kinds of ways. Seafood, mushrooms, prosciutto & peas, various spring veg., etc.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Risotto - Wed, 10/5/05 12:59 AM
My Northern Italian grandma made risotto often. Also polenta and (my favorite) gnocchi. Try these for an alternative to potatoes/pasta!

BelleReve
RE: Risotto - Wed, 10/5/05 5:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions NYNM - I never thought I'd admit to being tired of pasta.

slaster
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Risotto - Sun, 07/16/06 12:47 PM
i made risotto for the very first time a few weeks ago- a little white wine, some cheese and A TON of spinach, basil, and parsley. it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. i made a lot and ended up with leftovers. i had company coming the next day so i whipped up a batch of Arancini di Riso (basically risotto 'meatballs'). i mixed in some eggs, parm, and breadcrumbs; formed the mixture into patties; put some shreaded sharp provelone on it; put another small patty on top-- pinched them together and formed balls (about the size of a kiwi) that i then rolled in more breadcrumbs. i was feeling too lazy to fry them so i misted them with a little oil and oven fried them. oh. my. god. mmm.