Tomato Juice ...

Filet Mignon
2005/09/27 11:29:04
I was in a European deli the other day and these juices caught my eye:

Both were great (I prefer the one on the right) ... they tasted like -- beleive it or not -- they tasted like tomatos. juiced !!!

I don't envision another bottle of US supermarket TJ in my future (except, maybe for V8, which is part of my very, very, very well-refined Bloody Mary recipie.)

Any other international products that blow away US versions ???
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/09/27 13:46:34
Do they have added salt? The U.S. ones taste more like salt than tomatoes.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/09/27 13:58:00
quote:
Originally posted by plb

Do they have added salt? The U.S. ones taste more like salt than tomatoes.
Yes. But, it doesn't seem overwhelming.

No preservatives, flavor enhancers, and so on.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/01 18:56:00
Mamaw Smith makes tomato juice every year. This year it has been much more difficult due to her broken right arm and that is where I stepped in. I made about 24 quarts with her instructions. It was pretty simple with cooked tomatoes with sugar and salt. We added some pepper and a few other spices and that was about it. It was my first experience using her pressure cooker.

I look forward to a few bloody Mary's in the fall.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Greyghost
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/01 19:37:09
I will usually opt for V8 over tomato juice, but these products look interesting. I haven't seen imported tomato juice in my area, but then again I haven't looked. I have seen organic juice and may try that, but I doubt it would be as good as the imported ones described.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/01 20:20:48
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Mamaw Smith makes tomato juice every year. This year it has been much more difficult due to her broken right arm and that is where I stepped in. I made about 24 quarts with her instructions. It was pretty simple with cooked tomatoes with sugar and salt. We added some pepper and a few other spices and that was about it. It was my first experience using her pressure cooker.

I look forward to a few bloody Mary's in the fall.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Dang Paul... Thats sounds like a lot of tomatoes to me.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/01 20:30:43
It was a lot of tomatoes and here is why. Mamaw Smith bought a dump truck full of mushroom compost before she fell and severely broke her right arm. I had roto tilled this compost into our small garden. We had about a two dozen tomato plants of different species and we irrigate directly from the Tennessee River daily. The result was mega tomato harvest. We have never had so many tomatoes. I canned them, froze them and made tomato juice.

Since Mamaw Smith fell, I have had a real good experience canning, freezing and preserving what I use to think was easy. Believe me, it ain't. Picking beans, picking Okra and all the other task that goes along with that reminded me that Mamaw Smith had been doing for many years had been misunderstood. She worked her butt off.

I think the tomato juice will go good with some good vodka this fall.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jeepguy
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/01 21:33:08
The canned "tins" of fish in Polish stores are far superior to our stuff, at a fraction of the cost. Sardines, Herring,Mackerel etc. Also the deli counters there charge half the price per pound for sliced meats than the chain stores. I can walk 100 ft to a Jewel store and pay $8.99 a lb for smoked ham or go about four blocks to Essence of Europe and pay $4.99- same product. Granted, the Polish tend to eat alot of deli stuff, probably resulting in the cheaper pricing.
Greyghost
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/01 22:27:11
Sundancer7,

I would appreciate it if you have the time and inclination to share Mamaw Smith's recipe for home made tomato juice. It sounds like a wonderful thing to try.

I seem to remember that you are collecting Mamaw Smith's recipes for a book. I would certainly buy such a book. Please keep us posted on any developments regarding the book.

The old folkways and foodways are rapidly disappearing and should be preserved for future generations. If we as a people and a nation do not know where we have been, how can we possibly know where we are going?

As someone who is very involved with history, I suggest that you not only do the book but also do as many audio recordings of Mamaw Smith as you can. I would look into donating these recordings to the Library of Congress (loc.gov). I am sure they would be very interested. In this way Mamaw Smith will live forever in American memory.

I do hope Mamaw Smith is on the mend, around my house we all say a little prayer for her and I don't think we are the only ones that do.
Fieldthistle
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/02 04:35:54
Hello All,
Sundancer, I am one, who because it was the custom of my deceased father, always plants too many tomatoes. We make spaghetti sauce, tomato juice, tomato soup....but for mixing with vodka or just for drinking straight, we make a spicy V-8 juice that is out of this world. Normally I hate onions, green and red peppers, garlic, etc., but in our V-8, it is a trip to the garden of eden.
Take care,
Fieldthistle
Poverty Pete
RE: Tomato Juice ... 2005/10/02 05:17:11
Sundancer, if you were to bring a quart of this tomato juice with you on our field research trip next weekend, I'm sure we could put it to good use. What say you, Bushie?