Hash browns or home fries?

Hamburger
2005/10/01 13:58:19
Which do you prefer?
I love breakfast potatoes and have recently begun experimenting with making making them, with varied success.
Does anyone have a recipe for making home fries or hash browns?

Thanks,

Biscuit

(edited for spelling)
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 15:36:52
quote:
Originally posted by Biscuit

Which do you prefer?
I love breakfast potatoes and have recently begun experimenting with making making them, with varied success.
Does anyone have a recipe for making home fries or hash browns?

Thanks,

Biscuit

If they're done right with fresh potatoes, I like them both equally. Here's a link to recipes complete with reviews:

http://brunch.allrecipes.com/directory/922.asp
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 18:48:20
I really enjoy doing the home fries with onions, bell peppers, jalapenoes, salt and pepper.

They are good right out of the frying pan or even the next morning cold or nuked.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Biscuit
Hamburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 19:14:37
Oh, excellent idea, Paul. Hadn't thought of jalapenoes. I love them, too. Along with the bell peppers and onion that sounds really good. I'm going to try that next :)

And thanks for the link, porkbeaks, I found a couple of good recipes there.

B
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 19:46:04
With the hashbrowns, I boil them a few minutes to get them slightly cooked before I julienne them. I do not get them too soft. I then fry the potatoes in Canola with onions and peppers until they are brown on both sides. Works good with me.

Raw potatoes take so long to cook otherwise. Without salt and pepper, they ain't so good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
zataar
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 20:37:59
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

With the hashbrowns, I boil them a few minutes to get them slightly cooked before I julienne them. I do not get them too soft. I then fry the potatoes in Canola with onions and peppers until they are brown on both sides. Works good with me.

Raw potatoes take so long to cook otherwise. Without salt and pepper, they ain't so good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

That is how we do hash browns. Sometimes, when they are getting really crispy, we add some cumin, then right before serving add a squeeze of lime juice.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 20:58:41
I like the hashbrowns really crispy but not black. I have to have onions and peppers with them. They gotta have salt and pepper plus some hot sauce of your favorite type with them.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 21:49:09
Homefries easiest for moi. Lots of bell pepper & onions, por favor. A little garlic powder and black pepper, also. I like to cook them in the grease that I have from the just fried bacon...
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/01 22:06:24
Home fires---made with baked potato--green and red and yellow!! peppers--onions-minced garlic-and artichokes hearts!!!--not pickled--crusty brown cooked and topped with grated cheese and a little pico de gallo and dusted with cayenne! along side a chili relleno omelete please!---but then again crispy hash have their own appeal!
laytonj1
Hamburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/02 00:25:14
I usually take Ore Rida Potatoes O'Brien since the already have the peppers and onion in them... Fry them up until golden brown and then add crumbled bacon, eggs (fried or scrambled), and shredded cheddar. I sometimes will top with sour cream ans hot salsa. My husband calls it my "special breakfast."
dreamzpainter
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/02 09:29:12
with either hashbrowns or home fries the pan is the ticket.. Ive found you can't get a decent browning with a teflon coated pan (take my wife, car and dog, but touch my cast iron frypan at yer own peril) Homefries are easy, sliced potato's,onions and peppers, but when it comes to hashbrowns the controversy grows.... shredded plain potato's with toppings ala wafflehouse or diced potato's with peppers and onions? I've made chunked hashbrowns from leftover steakfries with pepper's, onions and sometimes bacon or crumbled sausage and for the ultimate decadence add cheese and sausage gravy......
Fieldthistle
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/02 09:49:41
Hello All,
I am ignorant. What are hashbrowns and what are home fries? Please don't think I am a stupid person. We just never had these dishes by these names. I may have eaten them, but not known what they were called by others. We had taters cut up into small chunks, boiled and then fried, sprinkled with salt and pepper. On an airplane I had a shedded potato selection which was called, hash browns. Folks, I am literally a hayseed on some subjects, and a prince on others. God likes to make fools like me.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/02 10:13:05
Hash Browns (cooking):

Homefries:

Biscuit
Hamburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/02 11:17:04
Great cooking ideas! I've just been slicing the potato cross-wise and cooking them like a poatato chip. If I cooked them longer, I guess that's what I would have. Not browns or fries, but not bad. I really want the real deal, though.

Can't wait to try some of the suggestions, peppers, onion and jalapeno sound awesome!

B
dreamzpainter
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/03 12:06:12
They both look like hashbrowns to me altough the chunks are a lil large. Maybe its just me but homefries have always been sliced rounds of potato about 1/4" thick with strips of peppers and onions but then I'm reminded of the Bard's quote of "a rose by any other name"
porkbeaks
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/03 13:17:49
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

They both look like hashbrowns to me altough the chunks are a lil large. Maybe its just me but homefries have always been sliced rounds of potato about 1/4" thick with strips of peppers and onions but then I'm reminded of the Bard's quote of "a rose by any other name"

I agree. Here are 2 definitions that I Googled and I chose them because they agree with my what idea of each is.
Hash Browns - A hash brown (frequently in the pural: hashed browns) is a food made of fried diced or shredded potatoes. Chefs serve hash browns as a side dish, sometimes made into patties.

Home Fries - Potatoes that are sliced and fried, often with finely chopped onions or green peppers. The potatoes can either be raw or boiled before slicing. Also called cottage-fried potatoes.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/03 13:27:49
I had my first hash browns at a place called Hull-Dobbs, which later became Toddle House. The potatoes were cut into a large dice and fried with chopped onions. For some reason the term hash browns now seems always to refer to shredded potatoes, and that includes the hash browns at Waffle House. Then there were home fries, which used to be thinly-sliced potatoes fried with onions and, if you were lucky, green peppers. I now often see these on menus as cottage fries. Except at Waffle House, where I know what I'm getting, I always ask how the hash browns are made. And, except for Waffle House, I usually pass on shredded hash browns.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/03 14:16:16
I prefer VERY crispy hash browns. If I'm making hash browns myself - I use the salad shooter to "shoot" the shredded taters directly onto the griddle. Season with some pepper and Lawry's seasoning salt; I like to keep breakfast taters simple. Cook them until they are thoroughly crisp - lots of flipping and stirring around involved - no mushy center.
If I'm being lazy, I'll get the frozen O'Brien potatoes.
Restaurant home fries around here are always chunks of potatoes fried with green peppers and onions - I leave them alone because peppers and onions in that quantity are not my friends.
rjb
Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/03 14:26:48
Rendered duck or goose fat, particularly if its left over from making confit, is a fabulous frying medium for hash browns. Shredded leeks added to the potatoes are also good.
dreamzpainter
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/04 10:45:28
Years and years ago, there was a Bait and Tackle shop in Seaside Park, NJ with a small breakfast/lunch grill inside. Early, early, early on weekend mornings I'd be sitting at the counter, while dad and grampa swapped lies with the other fishermen, watching a monsterous mound of diced potatos and onions cook on the grill. With each order the cook would pull a smaller heap from the pile with her spatula for a little special attention while the bacon or sausage and eggs were cooked.. ok there was no point to this other than a memory provoked by this thread.........
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/11 17:52:06
Home Fries OR hash browns, a sprinkling of paprika is also good.. gotta have the onions and peppers too..
I used to make a dish with sliced potatoes, large chunks of onions and salt, pepper and paprika and mix smoked sausage with it...need to have the potatos cooked slightly first though, or it takes forever....
(oh, this was breakfast, right?.. ha ha)
Tara
dreamzpainter
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/13 14:03:41
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Home Fries OR hash browns, a sprinkling of paprika is also good.. gotta have the onions and peppers too..
I used to make a dish with sliced potatoes, large chunks of onions and salt, pepper and paprika and mix smoked sausage with it...need to have the potatos cooked slightly first though, or it takes forever....
(oh, this was breakfast, right?.. ha ha)
Tara
Dad always made homefries for dinner and hashbrowns for brkfst and I tend to follow along with that but if there happens to be left over homefries (hard not to raid the frig at 2am when homefries are callin) I do reheat them for a brkfst side
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/22 18:30:23
Basically, po-TA'-toe', or Po-TAH-toe'
Homefries or hashbrowns..a spud is still a spud, and both fare equally for any time meal's....
LMAO...
Tara
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2005/10/24 17:21:57

JUST GIVE ME TATER'S!
I can eat them three times a day (Taters). Fried, baked, stewed...or whatever. But getting "bake" to the topic I gotta go with HASH BROWNS. Love them! Such an opportunity for variety too. Yummy! Time to pour on the leftovers and lots of room for the imagination!

Copper
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/19 02:54:16
Hash Browns!!

I have only had Mcdonalds and they are super

Any place have better ones?
CasperImproved
Hamburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/22 16:59:17
quote:
Originally posted by laytonj1

I usually take Ore Rida Potatoes O'Brien since the already have the peppers and onion in them... Fry them up until golden brown and then add crumbled bacon, eggs (fried or scrambled), and shredded cheddar. I sometimes will top with sour cream ans hot salsa. My husband calls it my "special breakfast."

I agree with you. The Ore Ida frozen tator/pepper/onion mix makes breakfast quicker (only time I like to take my time and enjoy cooking is dinner).

I likewise fry them till golden, then I add 2 or 3 eggs, and cover for approximately 5 minutes (they come out sort of like sunny side up eggs, except the a lot of the whites have meshed with the tator mix. Add a side of fried bulk pork sausage, or oven baked bacon, and buttered wheat toast cut diagonally so I can poke the yokes, and dig in.

porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/22 21:22:25
Home Fries
Space
Hamburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/22 23:32:32
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I really enjoy doing the home fries with onions, bell peppers, jalapenoes, salt and pepper.

They are good right out of the frying pan or even the next morning cold or nuked.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

This is almost exactly how I make my own home fries...I just like to use a little garlic salt instead of regular salt. Every once in a while I might kill the jalapeno and throw in some cayenne pepper.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/22 23:57:05
quote:
Originally posted by Dude111

Hash Browns!!

I have only had Mcdonalds and they are super

Any place have better ones?

McDonald's doesn't have hash browns. They have deep-fried grease formed into a potato-flavored cake.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/23 00:23:55
Crispy skinless home fries for me. Preferably with onions.
Cinnabonbon
Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/23 10:19:11
After reading this I added Home Fries to tonights dinner menu. I really love them both! Just as long as they are slightly crispy and well seasoned. Love the flavors of bell pepper,onions & jallepenos on Home Fries. On my hashbrowns I like some white gravy, grilled onions & a bit of cheddar cheese.
Buddy Dek
Cheeseburger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/25 20:19:45
I had some of the best hash browns ever at a greek owned diner.Onion flavor without really finding chunks of onions.Don't really mind the onion, peppers or potatoe skins on my fries . German delis in NY always used a brine of onions,vinegar, salt, sugar for all their potato dishes,soaking potatoes over night for just the right taste the next day.Each one had their own receipes some with heavy onions and sweet, some with pickle juice on the potatoe salad or whatever; some good some not.Many of these former great food stops are now a dying breed ,they were always fun sampling.
WIBEARFAN
Junior Burger
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/29 12:00:17
I love hash browns, but they need to be cooked crispy
with onion & melted cheddar cheese..

But give me deep fried tater tots & I am happy
doggydaddy
RE: Hash browns or home fries? 2007/05/29 12:54:17

The best thing about shredded hash browns is that they are great for absorbing what is on the plate. They soak up the yolk or gravy, and when these things are mixed together, it sure is good eating.
Home fries are okay, but if you get a plate of sliced potatoes, they are useless for this task.

mark