Best BBQ Sauce?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 88 of 88
dadetigl
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Wed, 03/22/06 6:35 PM
I'm not really a fan of sweet sauces. So Jim Beam BBQ sauce is my current favorite. Not too sweet and somewhat spicy. Any other recommendations along these lines?

BhamBabe
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Wed, 04/12/06 2:05 AM
For chicken I like Big Bob Gibsons white sauce (I am in Alabama after all) For everything else, and by that I mean pork, Dreamland bbq sauce is wonderful if I don't make my own.

I have a copy of BBG's white sauce if anyone wants to try it.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Wed, 04/12/06 2:15 AM
I'd love to see it

BhamBabe
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Wed, 04/12/06 2:23 AM
Here ya go. This recipe was given to Paula Deen of The Lady and Sons in Savannah, Georgia.

Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.

After chicken is grilled, slather with sauce and let sit a min then serve. This is also good in potato salad.

CaryMG
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Tue, 04/18/06 6:44 PM
Alton Brown -- who has the show "Good Eats" on "The Food Network" -- has the best BBQ sauce ....

THE WORLD'S BEST BBQ SAUCE
8 TBS Light Brown Sugar
3 TBS Salt
1 TBS Chili Powder
1/2 TSP Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne
1/2 TSP Jalapeno Seasoning
1/2 TSP "Old Bay"
1/2 TSP Thyme
1/2 TSP Onion Powder
2 TBS Crisco
2 TBS Roasted Garlic
1 C. White Wine
2 TBS Vinegar
2 TBS Worcestershire
1 TBS Honey
1 TBS Maple Syrup
1 TBS Molasses
Boil & simmer until reduced to a tacky consistency.

Ya want sweet?
It's in there ....

Ya want the tang of mustard?
It's in there via the wine & vinegar -- a large component of mustard.

Ya want heat?
It's in there ....

Please to be making the enjoyment.

Later!

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sat, 07/15/06 6:48 PM
Best line of off the shelf sauces hands down starting with the Original are Hoboken Eddies-------real guy, real deal. Stubbs is good and the old Texas Best Original from Marzetti but they changed formulation and made it a sweet one o.k. but ng on Beef Ribs.
Try Eddies and you'll be hooked.

veggielover
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sat, 08/19/06 12:00 AM
I really enjoy Bone Suckin Sauce, but its spendy. I need a clone recipe.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sat, 08/19/06 12:38 AM
Lately, I have been hooked on the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce line. A little sweet, smokey, and a hint of JD. I have several bottles in the fridge at this time, and go through it quickly!!

tdj_tx
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sat, 01/9/10 5:36 PM
I've been wanting to buy a BBQ sauce called "Bone Suckin' Sauce". It's not available locally where I live and I just can't see paying shipping that's more than the price of the item. I have tasted the sauce here in Texas. There is a sandwich chain called "Firehouse Subs" and they have many sauces on the counter that you can add to your sandwich, one of which is "Bone Suckin' Sauce". It is really good but I've never had it on anything BBQ'd. I hunted around the internet and didn't find any recipes that seemed to come close. You can buy it on amazon.com and they list the ingredients, that's a good starting place. It was the horseradish that really got my attention. Here's what I came up with.

Bone Suckin' Sauce Clone
  by Tom Jones 01-09-10

1 c ketchup
1/2 c water
2 tbls tomato paste
2 tbls apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp prepared horseradish
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tbls light brown sugar
2 tbls molasses
2 tbls lemon juice
2 tbls honey
1/8 tsp liquid smoke
a few grinds of fresh black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a slow boil. Reduce
heat and  simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sun, 01/10/10 3:48 AM
 Gotta' agree with Buddy on this one! He shipped all 4 of his varieties to me at no cost. They were all superb and I practically licked the bottles dry. Can't find them locally but I do order from time to time. Kind of expensive for shipping to Alaska though. The Hot and Spicy is my favorite! Great on ribs and chicken. It's a finger food thing!!!

David O.

tdj_tx
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sun, 01/10/10 12:49 PM
boyardee65

Gotta' agree with Buddy on this one! He shipped all 4 of his varieties to me at no cost. They were all superb and I practically licked the bottles dry. Can't find them locally but I do order from time to time. Kind of expensive for shipping to Alaska though. The Hot and Spicy is my favorite! Great on ribs and chicken. It's a finger food thing!!!

David O.

Thanks boyardee, I checked http://www.olbro.com/ but didn't find "Bone Suckin' Sauce" listed.

SAOrganGrinder
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sun, 01/10/10 12:55 PM
Has anyone tried Woody's BBQ Marinade?

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 939
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sun, 01/10/10 10:15 PM
SurrealGourmet

Not a BBQ sauce, but I also love Stubbs Wicked Chicken Wing Sauce. It's actually more like a BBQ sauce instead of the typical vinegary wing sauce.

Just my two cents...

I absolutely love Stubbs Wicked Chicken Wing Sauce. I haven't had it in years, for some reason stores here carry their bbq sauce, but not the chicken wing sauce.

Stubbs is probably my favorite sauce brand. I'm a heretic around these parts because I work 5 blocks from the Dinosaur in Syracuse.

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Tue, 01/12/10 2:51 PM
I keep a couple of jars of Dreamland sauce at home. My husband picks up ribs with no sauce from E&L Barbeque (big, meaty, smokey, not too fatty wonderful ribs) and we heat up the sauce. Tastes an awful lot like the real thing!!!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Fri, 01/15/10 2:57 PM
Unlike many of you, I am a fan of thick and sweet BBQ sauces. I like 'Sweet Baby Ray's' and Famous Dave's Sweet and Sassy Sauce.

I will make up my own if I don't have some of the 'Pro' stuff around. I use a lot of Honey, Brown Sugar and Molasses in the basic sauce, then spice it up depending on what we are cooking. Pork Butt and Pork Ribs gets a lot more  than Brisket does, and both get more treatment than poultry or fish.

If I am 'grilling' or pan-frying the treatment is a last-step addition at the end of the cooking cycle to avoid burning the sugars in the sauce. In the Smoker I will use a dry rub early on, then paint the meat about 30 minutes before it is done in the smoker. The thicker sauces seem to cling to the meat better than the thin ones.

gregys
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Mon, 01/25/10 1:52 PM
There was another thread on BBQ places and the"Monongahela river style"
sauce. For the first time I bought a sample of grocery store sauces from Sweet Baby Rays to Jack Daniels. Most are way too sweet. I can stand Open Pit's. However our grocery also sells one of the Mon river sauces, Blaine Hill. Not sweat AT ALL. Sweet around here means NO GOOD.
I do think pulled pork sandwiches need a little sweetness. Got my recipe, but think V8 juice, cinnamon, and cloves. My recipe.....
http://www.pitt.edu/~szek...20barbecue%20sauce.htm

gregys
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Mon, 01/25/10 2:03 PM
dadetigl

I'm not really a fan of sweet sauces. So Jim Beam BBQ sauce is my current favorite. Not too sweet and somewhat spicy. Any other recommendations along these lines?

Try making my sauce, or try Blaine Hills sauce. I also use some Scott's which is vinegary. Scott's is great on most things including rice, but not thick at all. Our sauce is not sweet, not vinegary, not hot, just right. You can always add hot to anything, but you can't take it out.

http://www.pitt.edu/~szek...20barbecue%20sauce.htm
http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/
http://www.blainehill.com/

gregys
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Mon, 01/25/10 2:23 PM
Another distributor of Blaine Hill sauce.
http://the-bbq-store.com/

The only thing I don't like about the sauce, it contains MSG.

Sure, MSG makes your mouth water, so does good meat.

gregys
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Mon, 01/25/10 2:51 PM
Bushie

My all-around favorite bottled sauce is still Stubb's (Original).

I've tried Sweet Baby Ray's and Head Country (3 different flavors) at the recommendation of people on this site, and I'm sorry, but y'all can have it...

I also like, in no particular order (and each serves it's own different purpose), Arthur Bryant's, Salt Lick, and Gates.
------

Whoops, just remembered an AWESOME one. A couple of Christmas's ago, ocdreamr sent me a jar of McCutcheon's Apple Butter BBQ Sauce. It reminded me of a sauce I used to love back in Missouri, and it was perfectly delicious.

I first used it with a boston butt I had smoked, but my really proud moment was with some chicken I smoked with hickory. My daughter, who is really picky, took one bite and almost achieved ******. So, I also highly recommend McCutcheon's.

Hey, McCutcheon makes fine products. They even make the sauce of a popular Frederick spaghetti shop. I used to use their screeming hornets hot sauce. Not just hot but very spicy. 

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4716
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Mon, 01/25/10 3:12 PM
mayor al

Unlike many of you, I am a fan of thick and sweet BBQ sauces. I like 'Sweet Baby Ray's' and Famous Dave's Sweet and Sassy Sauce.

Al, you might like Ott's Silver Dollar City sauce but I don't know if it's sold too far outside of SW Missouri.

Yesterday I had 3 sauces on the table for rib tips and chopped pork: Big Daddy's Mild Hot (Des Moines, IA), the house sauce from Sticky Lips Pit BBQ (Rochester, NY), and the sauce from Butch's BBQ & Breakfast (Hickory, NC by way of RFer Nocarolina).  All were good in their own ways with my favorite being Big Daddy's (the sweetest but not overly sweet); Butch's was the hottest/most vinegary and Sticky Lips the pepperiest.

Brad
<message edited by Brad_Olson on Mon, 01/25/10 3:15 PM>

kevincad
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:Best BBQ Sauce? - Wed, 03/10/10 1:51 PM
brightcopperkettles

What is your absolute favorite BBQ sauce to slap on just about any kind of meat? I am looking for ready made as well as recipes.

The only thing that you all (or most) are forgetting or don't know is that BBQ, especially here in the south, is a regional thing. Georgia sauce is different from NC sauce, which is different from SC sauce, etc. Heck, even here in GA, it changes north to south. So there's really no one good answer here! I make my own sauces. I make a middle Alabama spicey mustard sauce, and also make an SC mustard sauce, two quite different sauces! I make a northern GA style sauce, and well as a Memphis style. My point is there are many many totally different kinds, so there's no one true great sauce. If you think they are all sweet tomato based sauces, just get some KC Masterpiece and add heat, etc as you want.

jack4que
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Fri, 08/19/11 8:31 PM
The worlds best store bought BBQ Sauce is Mrs Griffins BBQ Sauce.  Comes out of Macon Georgia sense the beggining of time.  People in Georgia know Mrs Grifffins taught the class on mustard vinegar blend, I have seen it in all the grocery stores in south georgia.  My dad used to travel with a bottle!

Jenniferyoung2
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Fri, 10/7/11 11:15 PM
I can't wait to try some new sauces.  I haven't experienced many, but my favorite so far is Sweet Baby Rays.  Sometimes, I like Sweet and Tangy or another type, but my favorite is Sweet Chipotle (possibly Honey Chipotle, too relaxed to check.)

<message edited by Jenniferyoung2 on Fri, 10/7/11 11:22 PM>

speechpeach
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sat, 10/8/11 8:09 AM
I love Williamson Bros. (I can find it at Kroger), and Fresh
Air BBQ sauce.  I bought several containers of the Fresh Air sauce when in Macon a few months ago and put them in the freezer.  Last week's bbq pork chops tasted fine after being simmered in the sauce.  Sometimes I like a mustard based sauce, which is a bit odd since I rarely use mustard on anything else.

fishtaco
  • Total Posts : 740
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Sat, 10/8/11 10:33 AM
BhamBabe

Here ya go. This recipe was given to Paula Deen of The Lady and Sons in Savannah, Georgia.

Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.

After chicken is grilled, slather with sauce and let sit a min then serve. This is also good in potato salad.

That is a great sauce. I urge you to try it.

BackRhodes
  • Total Posts : 652
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Thu, 10/13/11 11:52 PM
No thanks...I don't consume mayonnaise EVER...

My all around favorite is KINDERS Mild BBQ Sauce from Walnut Creek, CA

I still like my OT's BBQ Sauce on taco's (along with LV green taco sauce) from Antioch, CA...

Jennifer, I also like trying new sauces...I recently tried Guy Fierri's "Bourbon Brown Sugar Sweet & Sticky Sauce" but thought it was kinda bland...like flavored catsup...but the super thick quality is good when grilling sausages / hot dogs where thinner type sauces just dribble off...

Betsy29
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Wed, 01/22/14 12:45 PM
You can also find the Blaine Hill BBQ at: 
Stello Foods . com

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 939
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? - Wed, 01/22/14 4:46 PM
It's been 4 years since I posted in this thread... I had been working in my brother's restaurant over the past 4 months, and concocted my own bbq sauce that has become a popular flavor for chicken wings on the menu, sweet and spicy blueberry. Thick, sticky, sweet, with a good amount of heat. I'm back at my regular job so I'm not making gallons of it a week now, but I'll be making batches for "personal use" when the weather warms up.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 88 of 88