Steaks and Ties

Antihound
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 3:00 AM
In the LA/OC area there is a place called Pinnacle Peaks that will cut the neck tie off of every customer!!! I have heard there is another steakhouse in the area that will do the samething. What is the name of the place?

Pinnacle Peaks has great steaks at very good prices.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 4:24 AM
Did you wear a tie when you dined there? How do they cut a tie from a customer's neck before his steak is served? Just curious.

Trebor K
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 9:27 AM
Pinnacle Peak steakhouse is in Scottsdale, AZ, not in LA, unless another one has opened.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 9:53 AM
Why do they do this, and how have they managed to do it without being arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon?

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 10:54 AM
That sounds AWESOME. I bet it never gets old, seeing the ties getting cut off...

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 11:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Willly

That sounds AWESOME. I bet it never gets old, seeing the ties getting cut off...

...and seeing the customer pull his GLOCK/SIG/HK/S&W; et. al. from his coat and blowing the "offender" away...

Michael Hoffman
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 11:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

...and seeing the customer pull his GLOCK/SIG/HK/S&W; et. al. from his coat and blowing the "offender" away...

Obviously, you are referring to a criminal. A person legally permitted to carry a concealed weapon has been trained enough to know that would be illegal.

Jim Ross
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 11:42 AM
I think that originated at the Trail Dust Steakhouse in Dallas Texas. Back in the days when IBM was all white shirts and suits it was a ritual to take Dallas visitors to the Trail Dust as a kind of initiation. Usually a nice guy would warn the newbee to wear an old one.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 12:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Obviously, you are referring to a criminal. A person legally permitted to carry a concealed weapon has been trained enough to know that would be illegal.

Perhaps. Remember "The Soprano's" lobster house scene

I bet this restaurant wouldn't open in Florida, BTW...

Michael Hoffman
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sun, 10/16/05 12:29 PM
I've never seen the Soprano's, unfortunately. While I understand it's a terrific show, I don't get HBO.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Steaks and Ties - Mon, 10/17/05 10:42 AM
Visited one of these type of places one time. They made a big deal of cutting my tie off until I quite forcefully grasped the manly parts of the waiter. "I lose my tie and you lose everything I have in my hand" I only ate what was already on the table...sorry but spitting (or worse) on my steak wasn't on the menu for me.

NYC2SoCal
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Steaks and Ties - Wed, 11/16/05 4:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ross

I think that originated at the Trail Dust Steakhouse in Dallas Texas. Back in the days when IBM was all white shirts and suits it was a ritual to take Dallas visitors to the Trail Dust as a kind of initiation. Usually a nice guy would warn the newbee to wear an old one.

I use to work for a bank in NYC.. We had a subsidiary in TX.. Well, the locals decided to take the stiff New Yorkers to Trail Dust.. Luckily one of the locals noticed I had a Hermes tie on, and suggested that I put a cheaper one on (had to stop by a mall to the restaurant)... It's pretty cool, they chop off your tie, get your business card and tack it to the wall.

BearHit
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Steaks and Ties - Tue, 12/20/05 8:14 AM
There's a Pinnacle Peak like this in Tucson as well.

Ties are on the ceiling - but I never wore one in...

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Steaks and Ties - Tue, 12/20/05 10:31 AM
They're all over the southwest...Phoenix, Tucson, LA, San Diego. Cheap, tough steaks, fun atmosphere.

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Steaks and Ties - Tue, 12/20/05 10:52 AM
In this age of political correctness, what was once a cute thing (cutting off someones tie) could be thought of as harrassment and assault and if the patron wanted to push it, could result in the arrest of the bescissored waiter.

I hate ties and try not to wear one, but if I were in this situation, and the restaurant had a no-tie policy, I would just take it off when asked. If someone tried to forcibly remove it, well, lets just say that I would not be pleased. In fact, if it was an expensive tie, I would insist on being reimbursed for the cost.

As for Adjudicators comment,pulling out a gun may be taking it a little too far, but Michael Hoffman is wrong about only a criminal doing this. I think most courts would agree that holding an open pair of scissors at your throat could in itself be construed as assault with a deadly weapon, in which case another deadly weapon could be legally used for defense. As for V960's remedy, well, what would you do if it was a waitress instead of a waiter.

saps
  • Total Posts : 1551
RE: Steaks and Ties - Tue, 12/20/05 11:13 AM
Here's a crazy idea- Don't go.

Bunch of whiny bastards.

rjb
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Steaks and Ties - Tue, 12/20/05 11:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by saps

Here's a crazy idea- Don't go.

Bunch of whiny bastards.

What a great idea. Maybe it would also be a solution to the smoking in restaurants isssue...no, guess not based on recent threads

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Steaks and Ties - Tue, 12/20/05 11:53 AM

I tend to agree with Berndog on this issue...and also with Saps about the solution not the various posts.

I don't think I would select that sort of a place to go in the first place. I rarely wear a tie outside of wedding and funeral activities, so the draw of a 'comedy restaurant' just isn't for me. If I were invited by someone that mattered to me I might go--tieless. I have yet to read a review of one of these places...and they have been mentioned several times over the years here on this site...that says the food was sooooo good that any hard feelings about any jokes made were brushed aside by the outstanding dinner.
In the same vein, The deliberate Rude staff (all in fun to them) is another form of the same nonsense that I don't mix with my dinner activities anymore than I would enjoy having Ronald McDonald and Chuck E Cheese sit down to share my Dinner.
Dinner is not necessarily a 'solemn' event... but I want it on my terms not those of some comic who is doing his/her best to embarass me at MY expense.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Steaks and Ties - Fri, 12/23/05 1:33 PM
I'm a strange one...I wear a tie almost everyday and a suit three times a week. I wear NICE ties...some joker waiter wants my tie to hang on a wall as part of a show, well it's not going to happen. My ties are worth double what my meal is going to cost
and cutting them off is not an option.

I've been to these type places numerous times and have only had to get nasty a few times. I have a stare that my wife calls deadly and toxic...I will remove my tie but only under the condition the check goes to another person. Once no one accepted this condition and the manager accepted I could keep my tie to keep the dinner party. I keep my tie, someone else pays or we leave. Funny how money will change the rules.

This whole idea of restaurants as show places first and food places second has gotten out of hand. I really don't want the California thing of "I'm Shondra and I'm your waitress for today" garbage. Take my order, keep my water glass full, check the order to make sure it is fish and not a burger, and I'll tip very well. I don't want to know "Shondra" (except at my fav places) or how her day is going...I want my food and to get on w/ life.

PS Merry Christmas to all

Michael Hoffman
RE: Steaks and Ties - Fri, 12/23/05 2:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by berndog

As for Adjudicators comment,pulling out a gun may be taking it a little too far, but Michael Hoffman is wrong about only a criminal doing this. I think most courts would agree that holding an open pair of scissors at your throat could in itself be construed as assault with a deadly weapon, in which case another deadly weapon could be legally used for defense. As for V960's remedy, well, what would you do if it was a waitress instead of a waiter.

And just how was I wrong? Is it your position that a law-abiding person would shoot someone in a restaurant?

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Steaks and Ties - Fri, 12/23/05 2:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by berndog

As for Adjudicators comment, pulling out a gun may be taking it a little too far, but Michael Hoffman is wrong about only a criminal doing this. I think most courts would agree that holding an open pair of scissors at your throat could in itself be construed as assault with a deadly weapon, in which case another deadly weapon could be legally used for defense. As for V960's remedy, well, what would you do if it was a waitress instead of a waiter.

And just how was I wrong? Is it your position that a law-abiding person would shoot someone in a restaurant?

Michael, where is your sense of humor? No, a law abiding person would not shoot someone under these circumstances, but as I said, they may well be justified in using their legally carried gun as a warning to the person branishing scissors at their throat.

I can see it now, Clint Eastwood is threatened by a scissor wielding waitor about to cut off his tie. Clint draws his S&W 44 magnum, points it at the waiters privates, and asks "Do you feel lucky today, punk?" Waiter faints, Clint holsters .44 and goes back to his salad, tie intact.

P.S. Note to self, do not tease Michael Hoffman in future posts.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Steaks and Ties - Fri, 12/23/05 2:46 PM
Nothing personal berndog, but when it comes to firearms I have no sense of humor.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Steaks and Ties - Fri, 12/23/05 2:48 PM
By the way, berndog, did you notice that this thread was begun by someone named Antihound? Hmmm.

mayor al
RE: Steaks and Ties - Fri, 12/23/05 2:59 PM

V960
I agree totally about The server becoming your long lost friend who turns your visit to the restaurant into a First-time I met you reunion thing.... Some of the places around us here (Outback and Others) go one step further...they pull up a chair and sit down at the table to discuss the daily specials and the current events of the day with you (and I am not dining alone). This drives me nuts.
Years back I would enjoy entertainment during dinner, or even a dinner-theater, but today's version of insult=comedy & put-downs are fun, is not within my accepted behaviors when I go out. I prefer a calmer polite environment that encourages good conversation and a chance to really enjoy a good meal. (this is a sit-down dinner activity) There are times when "Rowdy Bar Stool Peanuts and Beer" is also acceptable, but not for dinner.... and the teen-aged server is NOT my best buddy!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Steaks and Ties - Fri, 12/23/05 3:19 PM
"Hi. Do you guys know what you're having this evening?"

mayor al
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sat, 12/24/05 2:32 PM
Yep, Michael...
Probably a pretty nasty hangover.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: Steaks and Ties - Sat, 12/24/05 3:06 PM
Baked spaghetti, Smithfield ham topped with orange marmalade and brown sugar and mustard, salad, pecan pie, Tennessee cole slaw, yeast rolls, green beans and probably an escess of libation.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN