RE: deep fried tacos
When I want something in a deep fried tortilla, here's what I make.
Chevy's Copycat Crispy Chicken Flautas
1 (12 oz can) (or 1-1/2 cups) shredded cooked chicken - drained
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
1/2 cup whole kernel corn, drained (from canned or frozen)
1/2 cup finely diced onions
1/4 cup La Victoria Salsa Verde
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp liquid smoke - mesquite
12 flour tortillas
4 cups cooking oil
1/2 cup Thai Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping
1/4 cup apricot preserves for dipping
1. -In a mixing bowl, stir together chicken, cheese, black beans, corn, onion, salsa verde, cumin, garlic powder and liquid smoke.
2. -Place 2 Tablespoons of the chicken filling in a 1/2-inch wide by 6-inches long strip along the edge of a flour tortilla.
3. -Roll the tortilla into a cigar shape, starting on the side with the chicken filling. Secure the roll with a toothpick. If it is too large to deep fry, cut each "cigar" in half and secure with separate toothpick.
4. -Heat cooking oil to 350-375-degrees F.
5. -Fry the rolled tortillas, a couple at a time, in the hot oil. Remove when golden brown on edges. Make sure to remove the toothpicks before serving.
6. -Serve with Thai Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce and apricot preserves mixed together and served on the side for dipping. Available in Asian food section of most supermarkets.
7. -Makes 12 large flautas or 24 if cut in half.