Chimayo special

Filet Mignon
2005/10/29 13:26:18
A few weeks ago I visited Chimayo, NM, a town famous for its miracles and its chile (and both). Across the road from the church shrine is a small restaurant and stall that sells "Holy Chile". A middle aged Hispanic man he sells his products off of an old kitchen table with a plastic table cloth in front of the restaurant. " A middle aged Hispanic man puts on quite a show! He has 5 or 6 different varieties of local chiles (red, green, orange pulp, crushed, "#1", "#2".)

He has developed a patter where he breaks open (NM) pistachios, puts garlic salt and different varieties of the chile in the shell, pours a bit on your hand, asks you to lick the mixture off your hand, then eat the pistachio. He went on for almost 1/2 hr in this demonstration, suggesting recipes, historical tidbits, etc. and clearly enjoying himself (as was his audience of 4, since it was a unusually cold and cloudy day in NM).

I bought 4 of his bags of different chiles (red, green, orange, #1) and have been enjoying them tremendously, mixing and matching as he suggested. I've made chili, beef stew, green chile stew with chicken, omelettes, etc. Chimayo chile, while surely hot, also has a very fresh sweet flavor that emphasizes its fruit-nature (in fact, one recipe is ripe canteloupe spriknled with salt and chile.)

I recommend a stop here if you are in the neighborhood (25 miles north of Santa Fe) or even just playing with different chiles on your own (licking it off your hand?)Hmmmhmmm
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chimayo special 2005/10/29 16:44:52
I went through the exact same routine with the guy back in June with the peppers, salt, pistachios, etc. He certainly is an interesting character with some unique spiritual beliefs. I listened to him for about half an hour also. He has an interesting friend as well... as we were talking the friend looked over my shoulder and stated "Look at the moon... it's all broken" in his Cheech and Chong-style voice. I turned around and it was a wisp of cloud in the bright blue sky. Chimayo is a neat place and I hope you stopped at Leona's.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chimayo special 2005/10/30 00:22:15
Thanks for the photos!!
When I was in Chimayo in early October, Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant was celebrating its (50?) anniversity, serving combination platters for $1.99 (yup), so we skipped Leona's. Those Chimayo cocktails (I think made with tequila and apple cider) are killers!
But I went to Leona's this summer. What fun! Ain't the food in the little corner of the world really special?
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Chimayo special 2005/10/30 00:59:48
The photos are inteesting. Thanks for sharing them.